American Express Global Business Travel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent company.
Manager, Client Contracts (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 7, 2018
Excellent working environment, great professionals to work with, good travel perks. Good opportunity to grow and expand your professional skillset. Great travel benefits also.
Amex gbt
Senior Corporate International Acct Mgr (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2018
Unrealistic expectations, 17 hour days and expectations of maintaining that pace, virtual environment culture, not for a self starter or someone who needs oversight
Pros
virtual
Gr8 Experience until....
Lead Office Counselor - Sullivan & Cromwell LLP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2018
Busy fast paced. Excellent client made it a pleasure to work for daily. Opportunity to travel was excellent. Enjoying a satisfied client...priceless! Must be careful with office politics and how management handles individual cases.
Pros
Broaden your horizon
Cons
Occasional management
Great Benifits, other areas need improvement
Travel (Former Employee) –  AZMay 16, 2018
AEGBT has some of the best benefits I have seen, in comparison to other employers. Unfortunately, the leadership and management positions lack the necessary training needed to run teams and the company in itself. The lack of communication is unbelievable. Granted, there are a few great eggs in the dozen, but I believe GBT needs to work on the communication aspect of being a leader.
Pros
beneifts
Cons
management
virtual nightmare
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  virtualMay 5, 2018
If you are considering AMEX/GBT vs. another job offer, take the other job, nothing at all could be as bad as GBT, it is not AMEX they are leasing the name.

If you have real experience you will be hired, the pay is the same or less that you could get anywhere else, the benefits are good, but honestly even that was not worth the crazzzzy of GBT.

First, you'll be tasked w/self directed learning modules, but don't confuse that with self "paced" you will be expected to complete the training w/in 2-3 weeks, which is actually doable, but in reality there is no way you will retain it all.

I was placed on a team w/in a huge "super group", my team had 12 accounts, sounds simple right, but the account specific training is ridiculous, 12 accounts, with unlike travel policies they didn't even have the insight to put like -like accounts together or at the very least consolidate the UDID's. If 12 accounts sounds okay to you, lets add Canada BSP ticketing and exchanges on 4 or more of the 12 accounts, all while trying to figure out the point of sale tools along with searching for the specific company policies.

I was fortunate that I was placed in a very talented and generous group of agents, they were always willing to assist when they were available. It was very frustrating that a new hire would not have had a point of contact for assistance when needed.

I started in November, by mid January, I was lazily looking for another job, by mid March I was frantically looking for a new job! I honestly considered quitting w/out another job, but stuck it out. Gave notice Mid-April,
  more... started with a normal company benefits are just as good and the pay is better, so my suggestion is keep looking til you find the right fit.

The biggest red flag & I totally ignored it, was being hired with the position to be determined. My fault for taking a job without knowing the specifics & such a waste of time for me and the agents tasked with filling in the gaps of the horrible training.
Pros
virtual
Cons
everything
My work experience with American Express
Customer Service Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2018
In my 26 years of working for American Express I had a fulfilling family life and work experience. I started with the company as a customer service representative servicing our card members. Within two years of my employment I was training to become a learning specialist training new hires both in the states and for our international.partners.

My job included customer service training for both our card members and merchants disputes. I was a supervisor handling all escalated calls and servicing disputes. I was also responsible to see that all disputes were handled in a timely manner.

American Express is one of the best places to work. They offered great benefits and a great working atmosphere. They recognized and award their employee for all the good work achieved and allowed us to work on our owned without micromanaging.

One of the hardest part of the job was trying to make both the card members and merchants happy. It was a challenge I worked hard to achieve. .

The best part of my job with American Express was all the people I met and worked with during my twenty six years. They became family. The day we were told they were closing our department was a very sad day. It meant all the years we spent working together as colleges and family was now coming to an end.
Pros
great benefits and recognition
Cons
shift bids
None to provide
Senior SQL Server Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 26, 2018
I cannot seem to get around this box, so am filling it in with 150 characters as that is the minimum.
Not sure why I have to do this, there was no skip button provided.
Fast paced environment but fun place to work
Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2018
Typical day at work was taking 30-40 calls a day. Worked international and VIP lines. Learned to multi-task. Management was good and easy to work with on daily basis.Workplace culture was a call center environment. Hardest part of job was working multiple accounts. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with VIP's.
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Short breaks and lunch
Culture in progress...
Digital Marketing, Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 19, 2018
Antiquated, corporate heavy culture/atmosphere that creates boredom, repetition and frustration. Career pathing needs serious attention and articulation.
Use Caution
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  VirtualApril 13, 2018
They recently implemented a culture where your success is based on the entire team. If the team does not meet their goals on a quarterly basis then they end the year with a needs improvement and no merit raise. This is regardless of your own personal performance or additional projects completed in the year. This leads to an atmosphere of resentment and lack of motivation.
Set up to fail
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 10, 2018
American Express was a good company to work for but their management became unorganized by using very unqualified people as their team leaders. Their job performance measurement systems became extreme and negative to the point of setting people up to fail, making it very difficult to keep a positive attitude and atmosphere. The job culture became paranoid and stressful and unfair in how they measured and treated their employees.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive salary.
Cons
Clickish, Negative and unfair performance measuring and unqualified team leaders.
Internship
Interns (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2018
learned a lot about travel and tourism. I was able to learn about the different part of traveling. met a lot of new people that influence me to become what I am today.
Would not recommend
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 9, 2018
No culture, horrible management, no room for upward mobility. Self-funded "cookies" holiday party. Good work life balance. Would not recommend working at this company.
n/a
Travel Counselor I (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 7, 2018
It has been over 15 years since I have worked there and I do not remember many details.

I do, however, keep in touch with former employees who are completely dissatisfied at this time.
Amex gbt
Virtual Specialized Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2018
My contract ended at American Express GBT after 11 months. On the last team I was on, there was no team lead. There was very little training on account specifics.
My contract had just been extended thru June 2018 but within a week, I received a call that my contract would end the following day. I had no notice to find other employment.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Assigned shift
A company that cares for his employees and the community
Specialized Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2018
A typical day at work was managing the travel arrangements for a company's onsite client. Making sure that the client was satisfied with a job well done.
benefits
Great brand focused on growth
Director of Global Implementations, San Antonio (Former Employee) –  virtualFebruary 2, 2018
Interesting working environment based on global aspect of overall business model. Collaborative environment where people treat each-other with respect and dignity.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
not enough rotation in upper management
lack of training
Senior VIP Corporate Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  virtualJanuary 31, 2018
they expect you to do a great job with out any errors without training you on anything that is necessary to do your job. They promote you and give you more responsibilities but don't give you any sort of pay raise.
Cons
no raises even with promotions
stressful work environment
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2018
The particular account assignments were that, assigned, with no input as to preference of detail required or work schedule. The manager that I reported to (a temporary assignment for her) was in the wrong position, was not positive, very moody and was jealous of my abilities and previous employment so created a hostile working relationship.
Pros
Pay and benefit package were acceptable
Cons
negative working environment
Doesn't care about the employee
Executive Administrative Assistant II (Virtual) (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ 85254January 28, 2018
This new branch/joint venture is all driven by money and has no compassion or care for the employees. They have cut employee hours and still expect full time performance. They have cut so many jobs that people are expected to do their job and the one's they cut. Investers have put all their money into a company that never made money in prior years and they think they will come out ahead.
Not very bright if you ask me. They are running it into the ground. It used to be an awesome place to work with a great atmosphere, but now it is awful and stressful. I have never hear anything positive from the employee's that I am still friends with that work there. I am so glad I am no longer working there in that toxic environment. There are so many better places to work, that care about their employee's and not all about money.
Pros
Cons
cut employee hours and jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express Global Business Travel. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss