American Express Global Business Travel
75Above average

American Express Global Business Travel Employee Reviews

United States180 reviews
They have good benefits and starting salary. I have worked at other TMCs and the starting salary is the best of all of them. The training once hired could be improved. It is all online at your own pace which is good but there isn't anyone to ask questions of when you have them. Once you're assigned to an account the training is hit or miss based on the trainer for that account. The first team I was on the training was fantastic but when I moved to a different account the client training was horrible.

Schedules and vacation bids are based on seniority and not goals or productivity which is problematic when you are new. Get in writing when you are hired what you were promised by the recruiter about Schedule, work days etc.

401k could be better on the company match other benefits are good.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Don't assign schedules on productivity only seniority right now
So glad I came back to work for GBT. They care for their employees. They offer training in any area that you are interested. Just talk to your manager and they can usually help fit a situation if one occurs.
Benefits
GBT is the leading business travel contender in Corporate Travel Management - The company provides excellent benefits such as a 401 K and Medical Benefits and others . Also offers work/life balance
They do not support agents and the management is very inexperienced. All they care about are numbers and give out warnings to you even if it’s not your fault.
The department has lofty goals, but doesn’t back them up with innovative ideas or a friendly culture. People sitting mere feet from each other rarely interacted or acknowledge each other—ever!
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Amex GBT's leadership is accessible, supportive, and provided thorough training for the newly developed role. Teamwork, collaboration and cross-training is always encouraged.
I've enjoyed my time at Amex GBT.

Benefits were pretty good. My manager is huge on work life balance. Most Travel Counselors work from home which is a nice perk. A large majority of IT staff also work from home.
Most employees are allowed to work fully remotely. Meetings are handled remotely and some positions offer flex time. While I was not client facing, many staf are so customer service is key.
American Express Global Business Travel is a great company to work for. They really do care about their employees and maintaining a work / life balance.
This is a great place with the flexibility to work from home. The flexibility with time of schedule and/or time off is very limited as it's chosen by seniority and can be VERY limited. Overall you do your job and you are left alone. It's a demanding job with calls always holding and managers emailing, "Take a call, take a call, take a call!"
The building is a great place however it stops there. Management is not transparent and not honest. No clear direction of the company and seems like they want to increase market share above anything else. No KPI and the veteran employees seem to sabotage new employee experience.
I worked here right after there was a big financial "incentive" given to the company. Everyone was a bit unorganized but I believe that has gotten better.
American Express GBT has lost their direction. Bottom line is the all mighty dollar for them. Employee health and wellness means nothing. High turnover rate amongst executive level management.
Friendly team. Monthly employee gatherings. Invests in infrastructure. Flexible with working remotely. Beautiful office with excellent views of statue of liberty and manhattan. Salaries could be more competitive.
I enjoyed working for American Express Travel. We received yearly bonuses and management was fair in all reviews. The opportunity to travel on business was an option too.
Pros
Paid well and was a fun place to work
Cons
Staffing was based on the travel market.. when their is severe weather you are expected to work.
Amex is sold as being so invested in technology but that’s not true. There’s a serious lack of communication from all levels. There’s no support, you’ve just got to figure it out for yourselves and when you do raise concerns nothing is done. Trying to contact HR is a joke. They might pay well but they don’t care about their employees, especially when you’re stressed and crying out for help, you’re just a number.
Depending on accounts you work, supervisors care more about numbers than quality and customer service. Friendly coworkers give support to each other. Virtual
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor supervisor
Love the work-life balance and autonomy I have. The corporate culture at Amex is one is inclusion and collaboration at every level. Hardest part is meeting internal needs without sacrificing client demands. sacrificing
I am currently a Senior Sourcing Manager for our company and enjoy the growth opportunity even in my position and the great perks with my account! I feel empowered to make my own decisions that not only benefit our account but better the growth of our company. The world is your oyster and this job is a pearl in your shell!
“Cutting edge” computer programs that don’t work properly EVER!
A completely disorganized, yet ever changing, management system that does nothing to support front line employees. “Training” modules and tests that are as difficult and brain numbing as high school math, and have little or nothing to do with your actual job.

A remote culture that is disconnected, demoralizing and isolated.

Hardest part of job is the computer programs that don’t work and no one available to help.

Absolutely nothing was enjoyable about the 15 months I was there.
GBT offers the opportunity to have high impact in a short period of time. However, work/life balance is almost non-existent and there's a dog eat dog culture.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express Global Business Travel. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight