American Express Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
52.6K
41.9K
Found 3,347 reviews matching the search See all 5,614 reviews
It was who you knew not what you knew.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 19, 2018
On paper, the company is great. Once there, you are a slave to the ridiculous and extremely regimentend work schedules. The turnover was high when I worked there.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great for customers not at all for employees
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 19, 2018
Overall it was a good place to work. It was great having onsite daycare and a nurse. The most secured position is CCP. It was surprising to see the number of lay offs in smaller departments. There were a lot of temporary positions offered, but very few opportunities to career path into a new role.
Run don't walk AWAY
Sales & Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 19, 2018
Awful awful awful - AMEX actually not so bad but them being run by/through APAC was the root cause of most of their issues. Run don't walk from this place.
My Review of Amex
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
It may be for some people, but it was certainly not for me. Stressful, very rude customer that call in and cuss you out. The management was unorganized and unhelpful and you don;t really get any hands on training. You spend 3 weeks in a classroom and then get thrown on the phones.
Great company, great benefits, a taaaad bit passive aggressive
Manager, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2018
Let me start by saying Amex is an amazing company with super smart, humble, people who are more than happy to give you their time and help you with whatever you need to learn. It can be a bit passive aggressive, depending on the department, and like any large company there are politics and unwritten rules, but no company is perfect.
Pros
Flexibility, collaborative culture, fantastic parental leave
Cons
Passive aggressive attitudes, hierarchical/bureaucratic at times, pay not super competitive
Morning Shift
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Fargo, ND 58102July 16, 2018
7:00 am to 3:00 pm
logged in to site, booked reservations for guest, air, hotel and car rentals.

Called airlines for customers having issues booking online or having issues with their flights or hotel accommodations. Directed customers how to book hotel reservations and airline tickets online. Booked Air, Hotel, all over the world. Trained in new employees by having them watch me during my shift.

My quarterly customer service review was excellent and the company used one of my interactions with a customer that was taped on the phone as a excellent customer service technique and used this technique as an example in training new agents.
Pros
Free delivered lunches when agents met goals for the day.
Cons
Sit all day at your station.
Work at Home
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Work at Home - Las VegasJuly 16, 2018
Work loads are busy handling a very high level clientele. Several American Express Travel agents are able to work at home. Working as an at home agent is both enjoyable and sometimes hard with tech issues but overall I prefer a virtual work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
great place to work
Digital Strategy & Transformation Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2018
loved working there, colleagues were very high caliber and respectful of your time, lots of opportunities for advancement and truly inspirational leaders
Executive Consumer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 15, 2018
Great people to work with and learn from while assisting our internal and external customers. A fun place to work at and food cafeteria in the building.
Productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJuly 15, 2018
It was a quick paced environment. There were many growth positions available. It was a great company to work for. There were annual raises. The managers worked close with the representatives and helped in any way they could.
Not for the average Joe
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
I loved my position at AmEx, until they outsourced my department to the Philippines, and "let go" 17 out of our 24 supervisors. This is a good place to be, if you can move up in a company that is outsourcing all of it's departments.
Pros
cafe, salary, benefits
Cons
outsourcing, constantly changing goals
Project Management
Assistant Manager, Project Management Office (Former Employee) –  OntarioJuly 15, 2018
Different teams used multiple project management approaches and there was poor communication that stemmed from senior leadership of the different teams.

Overall, it was a good place to work. Working from home is common practice.
Nice relationship culture, but agility problems
DIRECTOR, GLOBAL LOUNGE COLLECTION (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
Working at American Express provides a good work-life balance and the company is particularly focused on providing good parental leave benefits. However, most of the benefits are family oriented and maybe not as attractive for millenials that might not get equivalent benefits that matter to them.
As Amex is a bank there are a lot of processes which results in agility problems to move quickly.
Pros
Great work-life balance and a culture that promotes building relationships
Cons
Agility issues
Metrics are ridiculous
Corporate Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  VirtualJuly 14, 2018
American Express COULD be an amazing place to work if they changed their metrics to be reasonable and fair. You can be a top producer who is well liked by clients and still be reprimanded because you kept someone on hold too long. Or...your customer can love your service and then be transferred to another department in which their experience was negative and YOU take a hit for a bad survey when it was another agent they didnt like...its very unfair. There is no job security so even if you are doing a good job they can and will cut people at will so you are always walking on eggshells. Stress is greatly effected by the supervisor you have and there are many inconsistencies with policy. It would take so little for the company to revamp things to the satisfaction of employees for retention but no matter how many people make suggestions the company remains rigid; it's really a shame. The turnover is the highest I've ever seen in a large company in over 30 years in the travel industry...this SHOULD be something the company takes into consideration. The vacation benefits are VERY good but that is small compensation for extreme and unnecessary stress. I keep hoping for positive changes but it seems I only see the opposite. Disappointed to say the least
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Unreasonable demands and unattainable metrics
You need to join American Express as your worker
Audio and Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
It was a pleasure to work at American Express the people was pretty nice decent it was small and the CEO was excellent and still there to today 2018 you get a chance need to work at American Express
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
Got to be ready for the corporation
Decent pay
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Nice building immenities. Great cafeteria. Get there early for a decent parking spot. Great family events. Management shows favoritism. Your entire team will be punished if one person messes up.
Pros
Nice cafeteria
Cons
Level 10 micromanagement
A great company with great benefits
Manager Global Credit Administration (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
American Express is an amazing company and brand that gives an opportunity to create a positive work/life balance, has some extraordinary benefits and attempts to stay competitive with compensation and incentive programs; however, AE could create more opportunities to advance and sustain jobs in the US. This change in it's job culture/structure, management strategies and impact to the brand was a fundamental reason I made a decision to leave.
Very Energetic Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLJuly 13, 2018
There are days that can be very difficult, when there are new programs or service .

I think my Manager is very available to our Team.

The most enjoyable part of my Job is Helping people with something they don't understand.
Cons
Some time I feel like the complant department
Ability to advance
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJuly 12, 2018
American Express provides excellent benefits for their employees and gives them the opportunity to advance. However there are so many changes to policy and procedures that take place so often, employees barely have time to absorb the information when it changes again.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Too many changes
Great place to work.
RN - Wellness Center (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2018
I enjoy my time at American Express. The people you meet at American Express are wonderful and truly care about their jobs! I would highly recommend it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

62%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

76%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss