American Express Employee Reviews

Found 3,628 reviews matching the search See all 6,104 reviews
The only reason I left
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
The only reason I left Was my direct manager. Who was dismissive, a micro manager and not a good leader. Its left me with a bad taste of the whole experience at Amex and I would never work there again.
Autonomy and accountability.
I.T. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLNovember 19, 2018
In my experienece, the level of autonomy I enjoyed while working for American Express was unparalleled. Great place to work at, senior leadership will put trust in you and allow you to run with your plans, if you've proven you're capable.
Pros
Autonomy. Results oriented organization.
Cons
The office I worked at was closed and there were massive layoffs that year.
Encouraged employees to volunteer in the communityLots of
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, OR - Virtual PositionNovember 19, 2018
Review any new emails that would arrive, because of working with several off-shore departments.

Learned to slow down the pace of the meetings when it was obvious some of the players were not grasping the concepts.

Near the end of the transition it was hard to keep track of who you were reporting to as the departments/managers were updating what seemed to be weekly.

The most enjoyable experience was working with so many employees and regardless of the anxiety at work everyone stayed as focused as they could and produced a quality product.
Pros
Seemed to have a large quanity of jobs moving to India.
Cons
Lots of opportunity to do self quided training through SkillSoft
don't work here if you can
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLNovember 18, 2018
A typical day at travel is like your in **** but much worse. You sit next your team lead who is always on your back. Plus you have these other people who's job it is to look at your time all day. If your seen off the phone for more than 3 min (even if you're trying to help a card member) your "call avoiding" and you can get written up for it.So many mixed messages that you don't know whether to help your client or please the phone times. Its a lot of work too, your dealing with doctors, lawyers, who don't take less service. and you'll hear from them too. So you have your leaders on your back plus clients constantly on your back.You eventually start trying to not help anybody because your too stressed about your call time. Once I got in trouble for using the bathroom three times in a day, and they added my time up the next day to be 9 MINUTES, and I got a verbal warning. They tell you to use the bathroom on your breaks. If you can avoid TRAVEL AT AMEX, DO IT. TRY TO GET INTO SOMETHING ELSE. THE WORST JOB IVE EVER HAD. and I've worked for great companies like APPLE. Now im into a better company paying more. Much happier life.
Great place to work with a wonderful incentives program
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 18, 2018
Job included flex-time. Learned about the company's products. Nice management, great workplace culture, job not hard, best part was working on a team.
Pros
Sales Bouses
Cons
Managers say one thing and do another
Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2018
Promises of advancement by management only to have posts filled by incompetent fools who drove the team down. Also felt like a dog on a leash having to account (and often getting scorned for) going to restroom.
Very Productive and focused work environment
Senior Business Systems Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at American Express every day was a challenge and your opinion was requested and appreciated The hours I worked was excessive but that was due to my dedication to the company. This dedication was rewarded in bonuses and profit shar.e annually
Pros
All employee opinions were vavlued and appreciated
Cons
Once great company now down drain
CSR (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLNovember 16, 2018
Just terrible once new management took over, no one cared about workers, as they took jobs and went over seas. Watch out more jobs going to foreign countries soon.
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  DelhiNovember 15, 2018
I really loved working with such an amazing company like American Express, and really want to work again I had learned lots of thing while working in Amex.
This is a great place to work
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 15, 2018
American Express has great benefits for their employees and the pay is above average for South Florida.
You also get bonuses regularly and the company seems to genuinely cared about their employees.

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
Great
Administrative/Travel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLNovember 15, 2018
My first big company after I came to the states and I do appreciate everything I did learn with them since I still I do apply many of those things today
Pros
learned lot of new things
Cons
salary was really low
Good Place but advancement can be hard
Strategic Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2018
Generally Amex is a positive place to work. I happen to work for an amazing leader, but that being said our group has very little movement in or out. So while the work is interesting you are trapped. This is not true in many other areas. Performance is on a curve, so you can do great, but someone else can do better, and you get nothing.
Pros
Good benefits, not clock watchers, like ideas
Cons
large organization that can be hard to nvigate
Manager of Consumer Products and Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
American Express was a great place to work. Really talented managers and employees. The work itself can be challenging, but rewarding. I would highly recommend this company to colleagues and friends.
Great company, but not a good training plan for new hires
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2018
In the future, please create more consistent, organized training plans and allow your new hires to grow, succeed and become confident in their abilities. I was not given much training nor direction for at least three months despite begging for tasks all the time, then I was blamed for not being confident in my abilities. Also, please treat everyone the same and acknowledge them when speaking. Just because someone is a minority woman, does not mean she cannot be a great engineer.
N/a
Centurion Associate Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 14, 2018
American Express is a good company for a new agent or a person who doesn't mind just being a number. It is very hard once in a department to move up. No consistence in work flow
Pros
Bonus when it is not altered
Cons
money and work load
Fun and productive. Relax environment.
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRNovember 14, 2018
Really enjoyed working for American Express. A true diversity Company. There is a quite fine balance between job and family. They really care for their employees.
Great Company to work for
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
Amazing benefits, mentorship, growth opportunities, lateral movement, educational and training opportunities, collaborative culture, dynamic environment
Team Ldr-Sales (Current Employee) –  ArizonaNovember 13, 2018
My experience with American Express was great it was a great environment to work the overall responsibilities were not difficult they provided several activities for us to work together as employees they also create a great environment however the opportunity to move up in the company is very scarce
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2018
Great compensation plan. Good people to work with. Benefits are decent. Paid time off, Insurance plan was average. Reimbursement for expenses is very good.
Sr. Financial Analyst - MIS (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 13, 2018
Good place to work. Many opportunities.
Good benefits
Training available and corporate atmosphere workplace.
Working remote is available.
Well organized and many opportunity to grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K
42K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at American Express.

Powered by Comparably