American Express Employee Reviews

Found 3,731 reviews matching the search See all 6,268 reviews
An AMAZING company
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJanuary 13, 2019
AMEX is an amazing company with a lot of great opportunities. The company offers many associate friendly programs and many departments offer flexible work schedule and work from home opportunities. The culture at AMEX is a god one, but, unfortunately is not always mirrored in all departments. Often your success at AMEX is contingent on the department you work in and 'who you know' that can help you realize other opportunities.
Pros
Worldwide company, great benefits, great culture and sound business practices.
Cons
Each department functions differently, advancement is based on who you know.
Probably one of the best call centers you could work at.
Centurion and Platinum Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2018
The benefits are great, the pay was pretty good, and the culture was great most of the time.
The biggest source of my dissatisfaction would be the way the surveys were held against you (specifically if the client stated that you were great, but someone else wasn't), and the lack of variety in shifts (if you don't want to be a "work at home" agent).

American Express encourages their employees to keep learning, attend events, submit their ideas, and to get all the training they need when there is time available.
The company overall is great, just had different needs and goals that I no longer felt were being fulfilled with my role at Amex. I also wanted to explore different careers.
Pros
Big cafeteria onsite, Benefits, Lots of paid time off and sick time, Great leadership style with managers
Cons
Time metrics for my role, The way surveys are counted, lack of shift options or control
A great brand with loosely-glued subsidiaries
CORPORATE TRAVEL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 1, 2018
Sales targets are unrealistic, company culture is loosely followed as compared to the high-value which is placed on branding. The company offers an incredible benefits package - which includes, for those employees who are having to care for aging parents, subsidized caregiver services. On the flip side, performance evaluations are too subjective to be highly rated (for just being liked) instead of for being a legitimately high producer. This alienates some and causes others to maintain a false sense of being highly effective and knowledgeable - because of their manager rating them more for their likability than their job performance.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Loosely-followed mission philosophy
Great company to work for
Executive Assistant/BCP Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2018
This company offers great work life..very diverse organization that I haven’t found anywhere else.

The space in SLC has changed a great deal and lots of jobs lost. Miss the old days of just laughing and enjoying the environment. The building offered so many incentives to their employees and charity organizations.
Pros
Great people in the building, lots of diversity and benefits
Cons
New management didn’t support your growth. I think it comes with age
Stressful and discouraging
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLDecember 19, 2018
Inclusive appearance. Training mediocre. Praise you when you're good. Treat you like you dont exist when you get bad surveys. RTF/surveys leaves you feeling inadequate if its bad. Its not good for staff morale. Feels like youre walking on egg shells. Building and surroundings are aesthitcally pleasing but your heart bleeds.
Pros
Nice surroundings
Cons
Insufficient training, Surveys are a demotivting factor even when good, Your life at Amex depends on how the customer views you, its like a big show most times with fake personas
Very stressful
Collections Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJanuary 12, 2019
American Express prides themselves as being a great place to work. However my experience was otherwise the training was intense 4 weeks learning in the classroom and 2 months of OJT you must certify or you will be terminated. Doing collections for special customer which are their card members who spend over 30k you will be verbally abused by their card members the metrics the dpt have are attainable but it’s sooooo much stress just to get there! The surveys are ridiculous! I personally don’t want to work for a company I feel like I am walking on egg shells! But if you like that type of environment I say go for it !
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Pto, SICK days
Cons
Short breaks, Intense environment
Compettive and stressful.
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2018
Though very proud to work for American Express due to it's reputation in the financial industry, it was very competitive and stressful. Almost annually there were reorganizations possibly changing your manager, team, reporting structure, compensation, goals, etc. This caused a lot of stress in addition to very aggressive sales and account management goals. You worked nights and weekends on a regular basis to get the job done.

It was very difficult to get internal help and cooperation from the support departments you needed to get your job done.

If you thrive in an environment like this you will do well as the pay and benefits were generous, at the time.
Pros
Prestigous company to work for.
Cons
Very stressful and lack of internal assistance and cooperation.
Productive and fun
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2018
American Express is a great company to work for, the culture at Amex is equally great. They offer benefits with employer contributions and work-life balance. Diversity is encouraged and practiced at this organization. My experience was great, in fact, I know most employee who were outsourced or left, that have re-joined Amex. Nothing but good report in my view.
Pros
profit sharing match
Cons
International projects may require longer hours
High pay dwindles as High Stress Escalates
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2018
American Express really does care about providing great benefits to its employees. WIth that said; it is frowned upon to use them. If you are in a sales role like this, you still have to make up your goal and if the team is behind, your teams goal, and if the directorate is behind, then the directorates goal. If you can take the grind it is a good opportunity!

This sales organization didn't do enough training and retraining. And did not use scripts however; there were disclosures that had to be read and compliance kept. If only management worked to subdue the stress of the environment; made American Express more appealing to its customers through marketing, and did not make it so difficult and complex to earn and keep your sales then I would say this would be an ideal place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
HIgh Stress, Rolling Orientation Period if Performance Suffers
Independent Role gathering important information
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 31, 2018
A great company to work for with a brand name that speaks for itself. Each day I would set a goal of visiting at least 50-75 small business, selected days earlier from a company issued tablet device. Time spent on each stop varied, some were quick, while others took more time. A quick visit would already have proper POP placement of the AMEX logo on front door and on cash registers. Taking a picture of the Amex logo was sufficient for this type of marketing call. A lenghty visit would include waiting for a decesion maker, explaining the features and benefits of AMEX, build rapport, and execute propper POP placement concluding with a photo. Sometimes management struggled delivering important job tasks from corporate decision makers to the team in a timely manner. Our team was filled with great people! Each month we would get together for a night out, and time spent with the team was great in boosting everyone's morale. Working for Amex was rewarding, and a great learning experience in the marketing field!
Pros
Independence, and freedom to make business decesions.
Cons
Wear and tear on automobile
Work at AMEX
SR ARCHITECT, Directory Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 21, 2018
Solid, 140 year old company that cares deeply about it's reputation and its people. However, it isn't for everyone. IT life at AMEX is a cubicle existence within a sea of humanity and periodic uncontrolled distractions. Most of the people are very professional and good. Leadership and upward mobility are primarily for those who have been groomed for it - outsiders generally are not considered equally. If you are an independent and assertive type, chances are you will rub someone the wrong way. Work-from-home is flexible for those who can get it, but they are also intent about ensuring there are 'butts-in-seats'.
Pros
Good pay, excellent benefits and flexible Work-at-Home for those fortunate enough to get it.
Cons
Cubicle city. One of the biggest and most distracting I've encountered, A veritable sea of humanity. You *will* be sharing germs with everyone.
Great Place to Work
Collector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2019
I was not a collector and had a hard time with the job. I found it hard to ask for money when the card member explained why they had missed their payments.

American Express had great benefits and perks for working there. Management was very supportive and coaches were available to assist.

One drawback was American Express is closed on New Years, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. The holidays were not paid, you had to use your vacation and if you were out, it was an unexcused absence.
Pros
Great pay and bonuses
Cons
Stressful
My time spent at American Express
Operations & Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
I spent a little under two years 10 key - that was the least pleasant and then I went to Balancing - there was a little bit more flexibility which I enjoyed. I then went to Credit where I worked current and delinquent accounts and then became a bankruptcy specialist in small business. The last job I held was in a risk management compliance position mostly regarding bankrupt corporate and small business accounts. I found it was much more beneficial to be an hourly employee than a salaried one in my humble opinion.
Benefits
Cons
repetitive, time restraints, learned there were 440 minutes in an 8 hour day and 550 minutes in a 10 hour day
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 25, 2018
Great place to work. Great managers and great benefits. I learned so much working for this company about extending credit and having great customer service. I also learned about dealing with all different types of customers. I was a great company to work for and I would recommend this company to anyone seeking advancement in the workplace. The benefits are great. They provide you with pto, sick time, discounts to travel. You name it. This company really cares about their employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
frequent schedule changes
Business Consultant
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 25, 2018
I enjoyed working as an outsourcing specialist for American Express. My primary roles were the solicitation of charge card products and services. My role as a business consultant was to make sure that customers were paired with the correct charge card. I used to make certain that customers were paired with the correct charge card product by reviewing their spending history and matching their spending history with charge card benefits or cash back rewards. The spreadsheet based analysis that I used to perform was designed to help the customer maximize profitability.
50% contractors, 50% employees
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2019
Its an ok place to work. Managers seem to be ever changing and large number of Female Managers here. I'd say more Female than Males.. This is ok and no issue with but I think they sometimes overlook equally qualified Male candidates to keep the "Diversity" numbers up..
Pros
Pretty open and laid back culture
Cons
Treat Contractors like commodities.. Some have been there for 7-10years, No Overtime, No Vacation/PA time, etc.. No Pay Raises..
Cut Throat
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZAugust 14, 2018
Either you're in the good graces of your team leader or you're not, there's in between. If you're not in their good graces you're ignored and not given the opportunity to succeed. You go into the position as being advertised "servicing" but the push for sales is more important. If you're not a top sales performer you're ignored. The metrics are STRICT. Management doesn't fix pay in a timely manner, or ever in my case. The call volume is INTENSE. I worked 10 hour days and took 120+ calls each day. The pressure to sale on every call is outrageous - even if the CM can't make their minimum payments. I will say the benefits are outstanding and working from home was incredible.
Pros
work from home
Cons
short breaks on long days, sales pressure, metrics
Not ideal
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2018
This is not a travel position, it is a call center position you must take a call every 6-9 minutes or explain to a Manager what you are working on. Many agents work in a virtual environment and have little travel knowledge or destination knowledge. There is no opportunity for growth, constant change in procedures. Attrition is very high at the agent and Team Leader so there is a lack of teamwork as well.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, work from home opportunities
Cons
Shift bids provide no work/life balance, Management micro-manages employees, no promotional opportunities, limited travel benefits
Worst Company I Ever Worked For!
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 13, 2019
Just like previous Travel Consultants comments, I thought this was my dream job working for a major credit company with FREE traveling benefits to most beautiful countries and staying at the most expensive hotels on the company's Dime. NOPE! Managers were ghetto and most of the time either high or drunk or both. They threatened to fire you every day if your numbers weren't right, The commute, the pay, the everything was horrible about this company. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!
Pros
Check
Cons
Everything else
Usually a good place to work
Lead Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
My input to management was usually accepted.

The company did a good job of providing a good place to work - until they started downsizing.

I learned to deal with people at all levels of management and technical proficiency.

I learned and was able to use advanced technology to accomplish challenging tasks.

The hardest part of the job was working excessive overtime to meet
unreasonable deadlines that were contrary to team members analysis.
Pros
I was encouraged to learn and grow.
Cons
Inadequate compensation for overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
52.9K
42.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at American Express.

Powered by Comparably