American Express

Found 4,740 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,217 reviews

American Express insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Great Company

Working at American Express was a great opportunity coming right out of college. I was able to get my feet wet with a great company while learning many skills that were useful for the rest of my career.

Great Employer -- Amex Sets The Bar

Great company to work for. More than a fair amount of flexibility and work/life balance and ran like a well oiled machine.Managers are well trained for their role, contribute in any way they can and fair compensation for the 2 roles over a 4 year span I had with American Express.

Pros

Flexibility, Fair Compensation

Cons

Often a slow moving vessel

Great place to learn if ready to work

You will get out what you put in. If you seek opportunities and work hard you’ll do well. They treat all the employees life human beings and make an effort.

Great work environment. Great benefits

Enjoyed my time there. Learned a lot. Excellent training . Friendly staff. Excellent upper management. Good to employees . Room for growth. Benefits from day one. Stress free

Benefits

Cons

Low pay

I love working in a call centered environment or doing clerical/administrative work. Fast paced & staying busy. No outgoing calling but office settings are preferred

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Amazing company now matter what position your jn

I worked for American Express for Almost three years. It was the best job I ever had. Management was helpful, always listening to idea, comments and concerns. Advancement opportunity no matter where you start, fair compensation, just over all amazing.

Pros

To many to list

Cons

Outsourcing

Good place to start your career

I recommend working here great opportunities for your career. Managers really try and help team members. Positive culture. You put in the work you will get rewarded.

Pros

Flex time, great employees, opportunities for growth

Great Pay!!! Wish they were more understanding

Wish they were more understanding. I was great at my job, even when I had to miss work I always exceeded my goals. I was a team player and always helped those around me. But to them I wasn’t a person it was more about the money

No Loyalty Unfortunately

Worked there for many years and received awesome reviews every single year. Then, you start to make pretty good money and you end up on their radar for displacement. All of a sudden you receive your first bad review even though you've continued to go above and beyond. You don't see it coming so when your leader informs you of your ratings, you're flabbergasted. The rug is pulled out from under you and the writing is on the wall. Other leaders tell you that you didn't deserve the bad ratings you received. It all boils down to that "bell curve''. Not everyone can receive a great review even though everyone deserved it. I was completely loyal but in the end, I was someone who was making a great salary. They could get rid of me and being someone else in for half of what I was making. To be clear, I loved this company and thought I'd retire there. But I ended up being just a number with no loyalty from them whatsoever.

Benefits

Cons

Stressful, no work/life balance, no loyalty, bell curve rating system

Never again

If you are a woman in a tech role do not expect to be treated fairly, listened to, respected, promoted, etc. Be prepared for your ideas to be shot down only to be lauded when your male colleagues present the exact same idea, sometimes only minutes after you had. Be prepared to be gaslit. Know that work/life balance doesn't exist unless you're a man - then you're a good father for taking time for your family.

Working at AMEX have been a huge learning experience

While working at AMEX, I learned a lot about troubleshooting MacBook and windows devices. I also learned a lot about interacting with customers. My manager care a lot about ensured that I learn more. Overall, the environment is very friendly

Very supportive and Mission oriented

Great company with great respect to its colleagues. Clear leadership guidance and you will find every opportunity if you are willing to grab. Technology advancement has been tremendous.

Pros

Work life balance and Leadership support

Cons

Not consistent guidelines across the company

Run

Worst company ever. Amex does a great job recruiting people however once you’re there? It’s a different story. Micromanaging, metrics are horrible and they push you for sales however set the metrics so stringently that you’re lucky if you receive a payout. They have a 3rd party team to monitor your calls and pull them at random and if you miss so much as a word of a disclosure you could be terminated. If a customer calls back within a seven day period it goes against your metrics as the highest weighing metric. No room for opportunity or advancement. I’ve been with the company for years unfortunately. This job is mentally draining. You constantly feel scrutinized and like you’re always under a microscope. Management does not promote a positive environment. You’re never recognized for any positive attributes. This is a very toxic work environment. I’ve witnessed discrimination of employees with chronic health conditions.

Pros

Cons

Pay, unrealistic metrics that take away from your performance pay, horrible management, not easy to advance.

Great culture, but low pay and not easy to engage remotely

Amex is an employee-friendly company that is having a difficult time adapting to remote work. I started after the company had already been remote for several months so I caught the tail end of management's efforts to make people feel comfortable and included while working remotely. Amex is struggling to find it's footing in this new way of working because, until recently, it saw it as a temporary solution. They are just now realizing that, in order to retain employees, they will need to be much more flexible. They will also need to make sure they put programs in place to keep remote employees engaged so they feel like part of the company.

Pros

they take care of employees, great benefits

Cons

low pay in some areas, not a great remote work experience

Impossible to move up

I left amex after 3 years as a travel counsellor, management doesn't care about employee growth. I have previous training experience but was never allowed to branch into that area at amex. That on top of mandatory OT and not being able to get days off approved, it wasn't worth it. I wasn't even able to get two days of PTO to go see a sick family member.

Productive work place, but compensation is not up to par

You will remain busy and informed of any new changes, however, you dont get paid enough for all the work you have to do. Too many new changes, products are under developed to push to new customers.

Great company to work for with an environment to compliment

A very professional environment that encourages employees to challenge the status quo. I work in a virtual role pre and post COVID, so my perspective of the environment may be different than others who work inside of a center.

Good Place to Work

It’s a very good company to start your career. You will learn a lot and have an opportunity to grow with the company if you work hard. The company though like many others is focused on cost reduction.

Workplace flexibility in the right organization

Some teams are truly virtual and embrace that structure. Others seem to be, but still require colleagues to be within commuting distance from a corporate office. So that still limits opportunities to those that are location based.

American Express is committed to giving the employees the best opportunities to succeed.

I loved working for American Express! The leadership was always forward looking and willing to listen to the employees. They provide constant training and always gave me the tools to do my job. I would still be there had my job not been off-shored.

Pros

Work/life balance, opportunities, great benefits.

Cons

Worry about jobs being outsourced or moved offshore.

Great business model drives results

Amex has a great culture that demands all the mental strengths you have. Top notch employees in many fields. Global culture. Lots of opportunities to advance. Many people find out very quickly they do not belong here if they are not committed. Worldwide reputation is top notch. Benefits are good but not overly generous.

Pros

Really big projects are handled by employees

Cons

Benefits like healthcare have been scaled back

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8K
2.6K
1.1K

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

69%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss