American Express Employee Reviews

Found 3,519 reviews matching the search See all 5,922 reviews
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Salesforce Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2018
Felt happy and learned so much from the company and team. Fun workplace. pleasant environment. daily meeting about task and benefits , job security, balanced life
Pretty good place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 23, 2018
Good place to work. Very employee involved but constant calls for 10 hours a day. Too much repetition for me. Not enough variety. Very micro managing.
Pros
Break rooms are very relaxing. Do a lot of things for their employees.
Cons
Not enough variety. Too much micro-managing
Overall
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 23, 2018
Overall it was a good opportunity. Overtime was almost unlimited therefore bringing home great checks every two weeks. I did not like the fact if someone transfers an angry customer to you and when the customer get their survey they are rating you although they are mad at the person before you.
Pros
Monthly bonus from upselling
Cons
Customer Surveys and Management
Work at AMEX
SR ARCHITECT, Directory Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 21, 2018
Solid, 140 year old company that cares deeply about it's reputation and its people. However, it isn't for everyone. IT life at AMEX is a cubicle existence within a sea of humanity and periodic uncontrolled distractions. Most of the people are very professional and good. Leadership and upward mobility are primarily for those who have been groomed for it - outsiders generally are not considered equally. If you are an independent and assertive type, chances are you will rub someone the wrong way. Work-from-home is flexible for those who can get it, but they are also intent about ensuring there are 'butts-in-seats'.
Pros
Good pay, excellent benefits and flexible Work-at-Home for those fortunate enough to get it.
Cons
Cubicle city. One of the biggest and most distracting I've encountered, A veritable sea of humanity. You *will* be sharing germs with everyone.
Productive but stressfull
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 20, 2018
received multiple calls most the call were upset customers that need it a problem resolved in a timely matter.
Multitasking opening a claim and resolving the issue, reaching out to the vendor or sales rep to help to avoid a higher cost.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Schedules and days off are terrible
Good employer, boring tasks at work.
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2018
Good culture, great customer service. Boring work. Great benefits and good coworkers. Typical day at work involved too much time spent on the phone.
They are excellent employers.
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
American Express is about people. It hires top notch talent, and that shows in its leadership team. No company is perfect, of course, but Amex tries to reach for excellence, On average and over time as Ken always says.
Good Company and Workplace
Credit/Account Manager - Global Credit (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Good culture, good management. Work life balance is good. Management will work with you on your schedule. Compensation could be better. Overall fun place to work at
This is the WORST job I have ever had in my life
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 19, 2018
While working at American Express I was constantly worried that I was going to be fired, until I ultimately was. The metrics they expect you to receive for their survey scores are unrealistic, which they know, but they don't care.
-You're expected to receive 7 positive surveys to outweigh 1 negative survey. Never mind that almost every negative survey you receive will be no fault of your own (incorrect card terms, another agent error, wrong department.)
So, let's say you receive two negative surveys in one month (30 days, that's doable, right?) You need to get FOURTEEN positive surveys to meet your metrics for that month. And that is just ONE metric. Never mind that the average agent only pulls in 5-10 surveys a month, maximum. You may be thinking this is doable...it's not. Want to know why? Because you can have a fantastic call with a card member and still get a "5/10" survey score, or heck "8/10" (yup that still counts against you) because of something stupid like the card member doesn't get free breakfast at their hotel. How do you have control over that?
-MICROMANAGEMENT. You spend more than 9 minutes in after call a manager reaches out and asks why...but you need help because you can't figure something out and contact a manager....I once waited 1 hour and 37 minutes for a manager to contact me back. THAT'S American Express.
-You inquire about the metrics they will always find something you could've done on that call. Regardless of if the card member says "you have been excellent. You're the best agent I've ever talked to." A manager WILL find a problem with that
  more... call.
-The benefits SUCK here. They cover nothing.
-They told us we would receive bonus' within 6 months. After our training period they told us we would not receive them for 1+ year.
-They told us we would be eligible for the 2019 shift bid. 3 months before the shift bid they said we weren't eligible.
-LIES. LIES. LIES.
Pros
pay
Cons
micromanagement, managers, lack of support, poor benefits, bad leadership, impossible metrics
Great Place to work
Corporate Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2018
If you are willing to put in the work and play the corporate game it is a great place to work, The benefits packages have went downhill they use to be killer. the management is typical of the environment its all about the numbers. The training is top notch and the environment rocks as far as culture goes
Pros
great culture, many shifts availiable
Cons
all about the company's bottom line like most corporations.

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
Great work culture
Analyst, Offer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
Amex is a great place to work with strong organization ethics and opportunities to learn. Amex has an excellent work culture with flexibility to work from home in case its needed.
Pros
flexible work hours
na
Assist card members (Current Employee) –  virtualSeptember 17, 2018
I do not have anything negative to say about this company. I feel that it provides great flexibility for their employees with being able to work from home.
Usually a good place to work
Lead Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
My input to management was usually accepted.

The company did a good job of providing a good place to work - until they started downsizing.

I learned to deal with people at all levels of management and technical proficiency.

I learned and was able to use advanced technology to accomplish challenging tasks.

The hardest part of the job was working excessive overtime to meet
unreasonable deadlines that were contrary to team members analysis.
Pros
I was encouraged to learn and grow.
Cons
Inadequate compensation for overtime
Great Place to work
Travel Expert Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It is a very competitive place to work , fast paced and knowledge is the key to a successful day. You are monitored, there is a portal that is used to show your stats and always trainig if you are lacking in an area.
Great place to build skillset
Network Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2018
Working at Amex is tough. They have strict security requirements on top of extremely high reliability needs. But it can practically be a boot camp for the rest of your career if you have the right attitude and initiative.
Productive and Fun Workspace
Java Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Maricopa County, AZSeptember 16, 2018
The work environment is productive and fun workspace with lots of additional perks. One gets to work on the leading edge technologies with some of the best people in the industry.
Decent
Chairman's Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
The company has good benefits but is full of unprofessional people. People have given the company a bad working culture. It’s very difficult to do your job when people don’t have respect.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad culture
knknk
Business Client Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2018
will not work here not a good place for minorites or people of color only people from india because they have a separate building where they can be separated from the whites
The employment experience included an environment that was collaborative, team building, professional, excellence
Merchant Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
A typical day included meetings and reviews. Running reports, problem solving, working with peers on projects. The hardest part of the job was bridging the gap between the needs of the contracting company and American Express.
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
not good parking
Productive Work enviroment
At home Advisor/Helpdesk Support (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time there even tho it was an at home postion that I was working...great people and wonderful leadership. The training was very thorough and very easy to follow.
Pros
training
Cons
hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K
42K

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

83%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss