American Family Care Employee Reviews

Be a Puppet for Management with no Medical Background
Medical Provider (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2018
Management of a "medical facility" with no medical background so the first thing that you can expect is that your medical license will be at risk routinely and nobody cares. You will be working with people that have very little medical knowledge because beginners are the cheapest way to go. The clinics are not stocked or equipped to function other than as the last person did it. Because you are not working for medical people there are few systems in place. They will do it however you like it but you will have to teach them first. So you may ask if I have beginner helpers, no systems set up, and no medical knowledge at the top, what am I left with?? They will pretend you are going to make decent money with their bonus system, and pretend that you will be getting good benefits, and pretend that you will love your work. There is very little PTO. You are not paid for holidays unless you work them at you basic rate. They "do not pay for charting" which means you get to do it from home when you are off the clock. "Our EMR is so great it only takes two minutes per patient", and if it sounds too good to be true it is. Just try to locate the correct diagnosis on that EMR! That may take you 30 minutes alone!! How about electronic prescriptions? You will be cussing you brains out for the most simple rx. They go through providers like little paper med cups, quite disposable!!
Pros
The patients.
Cons
Risking your license and sanity on a regular basis.
productive place
receptionist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 12, 2018
greeting patients adding them into the system if they are not already in. verifying patients insurance collecting copays/due balance and scanning/faxing paperwork. call in prescriptions
Pros
i get to learn new things everyday
Cons
still have to work during lunch
Not good at all
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLMay 30, 2018
Not a pleasant place to work. Management was new and had never been in that position before, and did not know what or how to do it. Days were up and down. Employees might show up or might not due to the unknown skills of the manager.
Germ exposure via patients.
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 21, 2018
Exposed to a lot of patient germs. Easy to get sick from patient germs because patients aren't required to wear face masks when they are sneezing/coughing.
Pros
Good benefits and posibility of overtime hours per paycheck.
Cons
Exposed to a variety of nocecomial infections; have to work long hours, have to work holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas, and have to work weekends.
Urgent Care workplace
Medical Assistant and X-ray Technician (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALMay 17, 2018
Working at American Family Care helped prepare me for the one on one contact with physicians. It also helped me develop relationships with the physicians and understand how to communicate with them. I was able to develop many skills such as giving injections, performing X-rays, and venipuncture. This job experience prepared me for the nurse I want to become.
Excellent place to work
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 17, 2018
Good flexible hours and a great environment to work in. Great staff to work with as well. Great Benefits. Great insurance plans. Doctors are at the top in my opinion.
productive place to work
Lab Technician/ Medical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALMay 14, 2018
great place to work staff is friendly and physicians are knowledgeable. Great place to gain workplace skills and experience and on the job training. overall great place
The company has great goals but fail to achieve
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALMay 10, 2018
They dont appreciate thier employees. They have a negative enviroment and they are more focused on pleasing the patients and giving them what they want than making sure the staff is fully trained and follow protocol before assessing a patient correctly.
Good job to get experience
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALMay 9, 2018
Good way to garner experience. Not a life long career. Upper management to strict and controlling. Don't really listen to concerns of employees or physicians.
A day in the Life
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMay 7, 2018
Working a typical day starts off slow and has a tendency to get busy as the day progresses. The working staff are pleasant on the surface but are not good team players.
Pros
3 twelve hours shifts
My personal experience
Patient Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAMay 6, 2018
You get out of the company what you put into it. You go above and beyond and people will notice that whether it's the staff or the patients. I've had great reviews from patients written about me and sent in through email. As with any company things aren't always perfect but if you do your job effectively and efficiently no matter the situation you'll benefit from that.
ok
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 30, 2018
I did enjoy working there. Only thing was we did not get a lunch break. It was a great starter job to get your foot in the door in medical field. I only left because I had a baby and needed more pay and better hours. But it was a great opportunity.
Active and busy
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  McCalla, ALApril 15, 2018
*Very busy fast past
*Proper paper work is signed, digital data logging and medical records history.
*To be able to help someone together as a team.
Pros
We as people are the PROS
Cons
IT's up to you what you will allow your CONS to be
Experience means nothing!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALApril 1, 2018
My experience was a mixture of good and bad. I enjoyed the fast paced setting. Was able to use my skills and experience to take care of patients.I was disappointed with the micro management. We were always short staffed. They were only worried about numbers. We were in competetion with other clinics to get patients in and out fast. We could not be thorough because we were always rushed. When patients complained about anything we were lectured. It was a huge contradiction. I wanted to make it a permanent job but saw quickly the chance for promotion was zero. I would not recommend this clinic to patients or potential employees. The pay was embarassing even with over 25 years of experience. No real benefits. High insurance rates. Overall it was not worth the daily stress. Glad its over.
Pros
Fast paced and never boring.
Cons
Micromanagement and abuse if power, Bad pay, Gossipy and back stabbing, High insurance rates, Holiday pay was taken from your own earned time.
Good First Healthcare Job
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 21, 2018
Overall my experience working at AFC was horrible. Management showed favoritism & on days she'd come in, her mood would cause the entire clinic to be in a bad mood. Pay was horrible for the amount of stuff you dealt with and even though you were able to be cross trained to do drug screens or call patients back & prescreen them, no raise was offered. This is a good get your foot in the healthcare field of work & then find you something else worth having. It would be s better place to work if they offered lunches to compensate such long hours & employees actually felt appreciated.
Benefits
Cons
No lunches, management, corporate office
Great company
LPN (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, ohioMarch 10, 2018
Staff is wonderful, pay is great! Very relaxed and clients are cool! If you do your charting well and tAKe good care of your patient(s), there will be no problems!
Pros
Great staff
Afc
RT(R) - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMarch 10, 2018
It is a great place to work and the staff there is amazing. The physicians really care about the patients. They provide a lot of different services and are an asset to the community.
To many job titles
Certified Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALMarch 2, 2018
I did not like working for this company because I played the role as the nurse, X-ray tech, and the front desk worker. My job title is a Certified Phlebotomist.
Very busy
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 1, 2018
Don't try working at AFC if you are going to school. My manager was great about working with me on having my 2 off days the days I went to school at daytime but the director over the locations started saying I had to be available all day everyday or else I couldn't be full time. So I moved to night classes which was after closing but some nights we still would have a patient left when I needed to leave & I was told that as long as I had coverage for my area for that day then I could leave. I started having to miss some test & class because I had the okay to leave then at the last minute being told no even though there was plenty of coverage. You get no lunch breaks & get lucky to get to eat some times. You had to be there no later than 7:45-6:00 or later with no break. Benefits were good though. You had to fight to get pay raises even after you got checked off in each new area. I was there for 4 years & had learned every department in less than a year. Yearly raise consistent of .25c & you start off way under paid.
Benefits
Cons
No lunch break, lucky to stop to eat
It had good days but mostly bad.
Patient Care Receptionist, Laboratory Worker (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 25, 2018
Managers would yell if you would sit down and eat lunch even with a messed up blood sugar. Managers were lazy and put their work on you at an employee. The way they ran the clinic wasn't sanitary and carefree. You were expendable to them so they didn't care about your well being.
Pros
Employees, doctor reps that would come and visit.
Cons
Management, no breaks, doing managers job for them, lazy employees