American Family Care Employee Reviews

Experience means nothing!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALApril 1, 2018
My experience was a mixture of good and bad. I enjoyed the fast paced setting. Was able to use my skills and experience to take care of patients.I was disappointed with the micro management. We were always short staffed. They were only worried about numbers. We were in competetion with other clinics to get patients in and out fast. We could not be thorough because we were always rushed. When patients complained about anything we were lectured. It was a huge contradiction. I wanted to make it a permanent job but saw quickly the chance for promotion was zero. I would not recommend this clinic to patients or potential employees. The pay was embarassing even with over 25 years of experience. No real benefits. High insurance rates. Overall it was not worth the daily stress. Glad its over.
Pros
Fast paced and never boring.
Cons
Micromanagement and abuse if power, Bad pay, Gossipy and back stabbing, High insurance rates, Holiday pay was taken from your own earned time.
Good First Healthcare Job
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 21, 2018
Overall my experience working at AFC was horrible. Management showed favoritism & on days she'd come in, her mood would cause the entire clinic to be in a bad mood. Pay was horrible for the amount of stuff you dealt with and even though you were able to be cross trained to do drug screens or call patients back & prescreen them, no raise was offered. This is a good get your foot in the healthcare field of work & then find you something else worth having. It would be s better place to work if they offered lunches to compensate such long hours & employees actually felt appreciated.
Benefits
Cons
No lunches, management, corporate office
Germ exposure via patients.
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 21, 2018
Exposed to a lot of patient germs. Easy to get sick from patient germs because patients aren't required to wear face masks when they are sneezing/coughing.
Pros
Good benefits and posibility of overtime hours per paycheck.
Cons
Exposed to a variety of nocecomial infections; have to work long hours, have to work holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas, and have to work weekends.
The worst place to work. Best place to get experience.
CCMA / Phlebotomist / Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNAugust 16, 2018
This place might be good for experience but just because you're getting experience doesn't mean you're getting taught the right things. The pay is absolutely horrible even if you have experience. Management never know what their doing, but as far as the company as a whole corporate is always making up new rules, their always watching the cameras but don't realize that there patients are typically the issue , they're so money hungry that the customer is always right even if they're extremely disrespectful. Stop putting ppl in manager positions that cheated their way thru the manager trainee program because their failing your clinics, they don't really know what their doing, all the managers in the nashville market should be retrained.
Pros
Absolutely nothing. This company is a scam
Cons
Everything. 30 min lunch breaks, management, Coroparate, long hours, the pay is the worst part.
Be a Puppet for Management with no Medical Background
Medical Provider (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2018
Management of a "medical facility" with no medical background so the first thing that you can expect is that your medical license will be at risk routinely and nobody cares. You will be working with people that have very little medical knowledge because beginners are the cheapest way to go. The clinics are not stocked or equipped to function other than as the last person did it. Because you are not working for medical people there are few systems in place. They will do it however you like it but you will have to teach them first. So you may ask if I have beginner helpers, no systems set up, and no medical knowledge at the top, what am I left with?? They will pretend you are going to make decent money with their bonus system, and pretend that you will be getting good benefits, and pretend that you will love your work. There is very little PTO. You are not paid for holidays unless you work them at you basic rate. They "do not pay for charting" which means you get to do it from home when you are off the clock. "Our EMR is so great it only takes two minutes per patient", and if it sounds too good to be true it is. Just try to locate the correct diagnosis on that EMR! That may take you 30 minutes alone!! How about electronic prescriptions? You will be cussing you brains out for the most simple rx. They go through providers like little paper med cups, quite disposable!!
Pros
The patients.
Cons
Risking your license and sanity on a regular basis.
Very busy
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 1, 2018
Don't try working at AFC if you are going to school. My manager was great about working with me on having my 2 off days the days I went to school at daytime but the director over the locations started saying I had to be available all day everyday or else I couldn't be full time. So I moved to night classes which was after closing but some nights we still would have a patient left when I needed to leave & I was told that as long as I had coverage for my area for that day then I could leave. I started having to miss some test & class because I had the okay to leave then at the last minute being told no even though there was plenty of coverage. You get no lunch breaks & get lucky to get to eat some times. You had to be there no later than 7:45-6:00 or later with no break. Benefits were good though. You had to fight to get pay raises even after you got checked off in each new area. I was there for 4 years & had learned every department in less than a year. Yearly raise consistent of .25c & you start off way under paid.
Benefits
Cons
No lunch break, lucky to stop to eat
Don't Work Here, Save Yourself The Unnecessary Stress
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 14, 2018
A typical day is extremely stressful, working up front you're multitasking between phone calls and patient flow with no assistance. I learned that this company needs new leadership and values so maybe then they can keep employees. Workplace culture you have those willing to help and you have those who don't participate on teamwork. The hardest part of the job is remaining positive and doing your job even though it gets unnoticed. The most enjoyable part of the job is CLOCKING OUT! :)
Pros
Cons
Poor management, favoritism, Lack of team support, Over working yourself, No break
Fast Paced
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALJanuary 13, 2019
Long hours and not very flexible with your schedule. Turn around Time here for employees is very high. Always someone new there when you go in. Not enough breaks for the hours worked
Corporate Management is atrocious
PRC (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 2, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at AFC, my clinic manger went above and beyond and my coworkers were wonderful. The issues with corporate employees, especially regional supervisors, the treatment from these individuals is ridiculous, along with the hours and pay. They are inconsiderate, rude, and hostile.I have personally had major conflict ions with my college and work life which they refuse to work with. If an employee is bettering themselves through higher educations a majority of employers tend to work w their school schedule and take their eduction into consideration, however this isn’t the case here. Often times they seem to forget that employees have families and lives outside of work, it is always an issue if you need to attend to a child or family emergency while working. I have seen many issues with providers that are overlooked bc there are underlining issues which coporate refuses to address. You’re work is based off patient review which, often times are most related to the providers inadequate care, rather than the staffs, instead of addressing the issue w the provider these scores are applied to every worker in the clinic, now matter how well the clinic staff performs. The pay is terrible, it is a great job for college students who are just working through school, however not for individuals with families, they prefer to keep turn over rates low, but also it’s rare to make over 12-14$ an hour at afc. With the issue in lay, region supervisors will cut hours to 30/40 weeks, at 8/9 dollars an hour, their common pay rate, you make very little in the summer time, making it  more... difficult for those with bills and families. Over all afc is good for college age individuals working for experience, for a short time, but after a year in the environment, it does become mentally exhausting between the drama, the negative attitude, and the ridiculous standards which they hold workers, who are paid very little too. There are wonderful people who work at the clinic level and there are wonderful people who are employeed at the coporate level, however; those who are directly over clinics within certain regions are NOT doing their best to ensure employee satisfaction, positive work environment, or making sure providers are giving patients quality care. There are many positive aspect toward the company, but they are often ruined by those directly in charger of clinics.  less
Pros
Experience, Coworkers, ensuring patient care to your best ability, benefits
Cons
No breaks, long hours, poor organization, hostile employers
Nice place to work
Workers Compensation Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 25, 2018
I was employed at the corporate office and the location is not very desirable. It is located off of 280 and the traffic is bad. Its hard to even venture out to go get lunch because you are bound to get caught in traffic. The work environment is easy going and laid back. There does seem to be a power struggle among middle management and very little cooperation from related departments. Which makes the job harder than it should be.
Pros
Decent Pay, Healthcare benefits
Cons
Location, Micromanagement
Excellent place to work
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 17, 2018
Good flexible hours and a great environment to work in. Great staff to work with as well. Great Benefits. Great insurance plans. Doctors are at the top in my opinion.
Poor management
Clinic Manger (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2018
Poor management that did not care about you or sometimes the patients.Large turnaround with low pay and long hours and no breaks for lunch.Good job to learn from to move on in life.
Pros
Cons
No family life
Lack of Proffessionalism
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 9, 2019
Company shows lack of professionalism and there is a lot of micromanagement. Loved job hated coworkers and manger. Clinic manager was not qualified to be a manager.
Pros
Food brought in by outside companies.
Cons
Everything, but food
Looked forward to helping someone each day
Radiology Tech/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saraland, ALJanuary 9, 2019
I worked hard each day to help our patients. I looked forward to going to work each and every day. There were great team work. Management were ok. Enjoyed helping others
Good people
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 10, 2018
Good place to work and you learn a lot . This company gives you an opportunity to be better and although management in some areas could be better , where I was we worked as a team and we had a great work environment and our boss had an open door policy and he listened.
Will Train anyone
Patient Relation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALDecember 22, 2018
This company will train anyone to do a job doesn't matter if you have experience or not. They pay their best employees the bottom pay and those who do not care to do their jobs top pay. They also allow certain managers to talk to employee's however they wish and say nothing to them when people complain. They keep the bad manager and let the good employee go.
Schedule
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLJanuary 2, 2019
The work schedule was very convenient to have days off, but the days were very long. No set breaks or lunches, worked continually, grabbing bites when no patients were in waiting room.
Pros
schedule vacation days
Cons
no set breaks or lunches
Worked at afc in past
Returning employee (Former Employee) –  Montclair, ALOctober 13, 2017
I did not take the position with afc not knowing.
I knew the hours.
I knew and know the work load.
The policy and codes were all covered in the interview the orientation and mangers once hired.
I came away from afc with a better work Eric.
Working for them was a privilege and was dumb plainly for leaving,I am now returning and again in the interview all was covered.
I feel as though I am returning home and will be back with honest hard working people.
Pros
Great benifits, honest employers, growth, extensive training
Cons
On feet all day, sometimes fellow team members don’t want to be team players
A Growth Place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 18, 2018
I feel as if most of the employees at American Family Care work hard for little pay. American Family Care is like a small hospital and you do everything so I feel the pay should be more. Other than that I feel its a great place to grow and gain more certifications and experience for a great start for a medical assistant.
Medical Assistant, X-ray Tech,Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 15, 2018
Great place to work all the staff get alone everyone pulls together the managers are great. We work together to make sure everyones shift is covered if some one needs tobe off. The patient are great and they love coming to this location. I work Partime and it is the best PT I have had in long time.