American Family Dentistry Employee Reviews

good place to work
Dentist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 26, 2018
Enjoyed the people I worked with. I Liked the way the doctor's role was set-up in the company. They did a good job of getting patients into the office.
Was a great place to work, I had reached my potential and could not go any further.
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNAugust 12, 2018
AFD was a great place to work. I learned so much while working at AFD, budgeting, forecasting, management skills, dealing with difficult situations and working directly with physicians helping template their day in order to reach their goal.
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 16, 2018
Great company with great opportunities. Work life balance. Paid time off and paid holidays. Great benefits and 401k package. The company is always thinking of ways to make life better for the patient and the team.
Work itself was great. Good coworkers and patients.
Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 21, 2018
Management is the problem. They hire people who have management experience, but not in Dentistry. Maybe they can pay them less, I don't know. But they don't know what they're doing and they get angry about it and guess who suffers? Mine wanted everyone to bow before her and if you didn't, you were up that creek. Figured it out too late. Don't come here. They expect loyalty but you're expendable.
Pros
Match your 401k 3 percent, health care full time
Cons
You have to produce, it is commision
Not a great job for an RDH
Registered Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Cordova, TNMay 29, 2018
Perhaps this job has great opportunities for other positions, but if you are a Dental Hygienist this is not the company you want to work for. For part time you start out at $28/hour which is very low and will always stay at that pay rate. If you srwant full time you start at $28/hour then go to commission. Commission is terrible and no one can ever give you a straight answer or direct you as to whom you need to speak with regarding commission pay. Also you can have patients confirmed all day and only have two people show up out of 8 and you will only get paid for those two people and the other hours are just lost time that you spent in office for free. Also don’t expect to leave or do what you want for the free hours where you don’t have patients; you are required to build your own schedule amongst other things that of course you will not get paid for since you are commission. So unless you have a patient in your chair each hour you are there that is perio maintenance without managed care insurance than you will do well as a dental hygienist other than that, you will struggle.
Pros
A few great dentists
Cons
Everything else
A Great place to work!
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 26, 2018
Great people and great place to work. really enjoy the people with whom I work. Computer system is a challenge, but overall great place. Management seems to care about all of their employees.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
cost of benefits
Great place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 11, 2018
Great place to work. Patient first and team first. Benefits, paid time off, work life balance and great management team. Would recommend to anyone. Overall great experience
Corporate but feel like family
Registered Dental Assistant/PSR (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2018
Great place to work if u come to work & learn your job. No company will keep you around if you're not doing what u need to and not bringing money/PATIENTS in. I would suggest negotiating your pay before you accept your offer. I slick low balled myself because I was eager to be back in the dental field.
Pros
Flexible hours, Free dental, Pto, Family
Cons
Expensive health care
On a Regular day at work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kendall Park NJFebruary 6, 2018
Open the office in the morning listen to all the voice mails and call patients back to make appointments.
I learned so much day by day In the morning open the office turn on the open sign, listen to all the voice mails and returns calls to patients, turn on computer, turn on music, turn on the TV, Open the rooms in back and set up rooms for early morning appointments, call all insurances for the next day, returning all miss calls, call patients to make appointments, scan and save documents, collect consultation money, collect the mail, pack instruments, set up rooms.
The workplace culture was nice.
The hardest part about my job was re scheduling appointments for patients.
The most enjoyable part of my job was setting up the rooms and bringing the patients inside.
Pros
Friendly patients, Clean rooms, Very patient Patients
Cons
No benefits, Only discounts, No paid vacation days
Great place and environment for externship
Dental Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNJune 20, 2016
I learned:
*How to take digital Xrays
*How to make a Temporary Crown
*How to assist chair side with Crown Preps, Crown Seats, Root Canals, Extractions, Exams, Oral Surgery and Denture patients, etc.
*How to set up and turn over rooms
*How to sterilize instruments
*How to set up for procedures
Pros
I was able to work with 3 Dentists assisting with general and oral surgery
Cons
Not Hiring at the moment
Productive workplace, caring staff and efficient
JUSTIN BENTON SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Seymour, TNApril 10, 2016
I have enjoyed working at the seymour location of american family dentistry. Staff is knowledgeable and deliver good dentistry, friendly nice patients
Pros
Free c.E. Courses
Run in the other direction...quickly
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNDecember 21, 2015
AFD is an affiliate of American Dental Partners. They are a tremendous concept that touts patient care as job #1. Nothing could be further for the truth. The AFD doctor group consists of a dysfunctional doctor leadership group who guide their decisions based on how much money they can personally gain. Their patient care standards are sub par at best. I wouldn't allow my dog to be treated by one of their dentist. MSO management is horrible. The Director of Operations is not self-aware and will bring you down to make herself look better.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Too extensive to list
Fun and productive place to work
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Collierville, TNOctober 2, 2015
seat patients, stock dental room, assist the dentist, clean when procedure is over, seat patients, insure proper paperwork is with patient. Clean up when last patient leaves.
Focused on patient care
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSApril 9, 2015
I am allowed to give my patient's the best dental experience at this office. I have learned a lot as a hygienist at this office and the company is always up to date on the newest technologies.
very laid back!
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  KentuckyFebruary 9, 2015
he is a nice guy to work for, very laid back! only worked as a temp there for 2-3 weeks-but everyone was friendly and stress-free!
Pros
stress-free enviornment
Cons
shares office with 2 other practices in open office
Fun environment
Front Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 13, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with; however the downside to working for a private healthcare company are the minimal benefits. The office was only open four days a week which made achieving 40hrs difficult. I thoroughly enjoyed the patients though and the relationships that were developed.
A ok place to work for just had to get use to the workers
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 26, 2014
working with the dentist had to get use to.. co-workers was fun to work with and got along very well soon as i started there
Scheduling Manager (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNJanuary 14, 2014
Best part of the job is the co workers, and patients. Worst part is upper management!! Most practice managers are nice. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Upper Managment
A normal work day
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CASeptember 5, 2013
sterilizing instruments for each setup for patients
Assisting dr. in dental procedures.
Pros
fast
Cons
part time
A culture of paranoic favoritism
Dentist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2012
Not too bad if you don't mind watching your back all the time. A reputation for getting rid of poeple who dont produce enough or might be a policical embarressment even after years of working hard for the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Dentistry. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about