American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Found 1,030 reviews matching the search See all 1,031 reviews
A horrifying experience that PTSD will never let me forget/bad culture for those with disabilities
Customer Care Representative II (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2019
I have a severe disability which I do my best daily to not let define me but American Family Insurance never once let me forget how they wished to portray me. The biased decision making where situations with me were handled differently than those of my peers, the constant haranguing by certain levels of management, and their clear lack of knowledge with regard to any semblance of professionalism and bedside manner in dealing with someone who has a disability. After I got FMLA and they had found out the reason why then were asked to make some minor accommodations, they put a target on me as I found out later they had done to many other individuals with disabilities. American Family Insurance made it known on a routine basis that I was different, that I did not count. they made me stand out, apart from everyone around me. American Family preaches diversity and inclusivity to the public and internally they prey on anyone that doesn’t fit into a little box that can easily be checked off. Although they could not come out and say it, that they made me out to be a monster because from the moment they knew I suffered from Bipolar II disorder they considered me a liability and it came to a head when I was brutally attacked in my home in November of 2017 by someone else who suffered from Mental Illness. The perpetrator was immediately apprehended and eventually convicted but the company chose to recoil then strike, treating me, the victim, like a criminal. American Family Insurance tried every trick in their corporate playbook to get me to quit and I ended up excelling in my position  more... despite their best efforts to have me hamstringed, they found a way to wash their hands of me without making it appear to be discrimination. If you work there and are different from the status quo or are not part of a legacy I urge you to keep detailed notes and recordings of conversations like I did. It saved me in the end. There are other fantastic companies in Madison, WI that will appreciate you for who you are and reward your hard work. I currently work for one of those company’s and feel blessed to be out of American Family Insurance. As I side note I had a fantastic experience working for an American Family Insurance agent but they are contractors basically of the company.  less
Pros
good pay, nice national headquarters, lots of educations opportunities if your department allows you to partake
Cons
cutthroat culture, and nepotism, disconnected management, stagnant with regard to evolving with the times
Corrupt and Toxic Place
Property Claims Desk Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 19, 2019
Very toxic place to work, The work life balance is a joke, they expect you to work 10-12 hours a day and on weekends, where is the work life balance there.. you never have time for your family. Management show favorites towards employees, They also pay claims based on the customer, I have seen them pay a claim with the same loss details they denied another- based on the customer. so wrong
There is little to no diversity .
Disregard the stress level of employees and expect certain amount of customer surveys to keep your job- Job is weigh heavily on customer surveys, most the time you can not control how the customer feel about their settlement. say we are over staffed and find reasons to terminate employees and the employees left to absorbed the work but employees are struggling with un attainable expectations to settle claims.
Pros
great health beniefits, pto comparable pay
Cons
management micromanage, unfair treatment to certain employees, over worked
Good Company overall
Owner/Agent / Jodi L. Wagner (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJanuary 17, 2019
I managed a very large agency. I also had several employees which I mentored, coached and worked with on a daily basis. I was fiscally responsible for my own agency. I also had a marketing system in place to help grow my agency through leads, referrals, and mailings.
It was enjoyable
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 16, 2019
Everyday you looked forward to being at work. Some days were hard but that's a typical day in the office. Overall I had a great boss and wish there was more like him!
Pros
Family enviroment
Cons
No benefits
Was actually challenged as an intern
Advanced Analytics Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 15, 2019
It's very common for managers and senior team members to give interns either busy/clerical work or not much work at all. This was not my experience at AmFam and I'm happy to say that they really treated me as a valued team member and gave me important tasks that affected the company.
Pros
Management will push you to succeed; Will help you grow.
Cons
Company as a whole, behind in technology.
It's a great job for the aspiring college kid.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 15, 2019
This job did wonders for me when I needed it. My every day consisted of a full email box of certificate requests that I sent out by the end of the day. Management was excellent and friendly, seeing me as part of a team rather than an individual taking their money.
Pros
Occasional paid lunches, school friendly
Cons
No benefits, at least for part time
Overworked and hard to move from claims into another area of the co.
Property Claim Desk Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 14, 2019
My typical day at work is getting 5-8 new claims and answering phones every time. We work on other people's files if they are not there. The culture there is that no one cares if you work 50+ hrs. There is absolutely no work/life balance when you are salaried. The raises are minimal , unless you are a director or above. The hardest part of the job is trying to meet all the metrics when my claims inventory gets 2 or 3 times what it should be because of the workload and lack of new hires.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Overwork their employees
Great company
Senior Catastrophe Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2019
This is a great company with good managers. Growing pains with buidling the company include very long days, alot of travel due to poor distribution of claims, and alot of really important short notice mandatory trainings. Overall good company with alot of potential.
Standard insurance experience for substandard conpensation
Agency Owner (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 4, 2019
Go independent, double your commission. Going captive with a company like amfam leaves you nowhere to turn when they betray their agents and customer base by taking poor care of their rate and overpromising on product performance. Independents could justly drop a carrier who does that and write for their competitor instead.
Great employer
Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 3, 2019
Loved working for American Family. Great company and dedicated agents. I enjoyed helping others and ensuring all of their insurance needs were meet.
AmFam is the Walmart of insurance
Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 3, 2019
Low pay, no benefits, minimal opportunities for advancement. I left a job in which I was making over $75K to try a new career. At AmFam I made $24K plus 4.5% commission with no benefits. I was OK with that if I would have an opportunity to eventually own my own business, which they told me could be 2-3 years. Then, after two years of working my butt off, they said "we're downsizing so it might be 7-10 years." Great. I'm 47 years old.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, limited advancement opportunities
Dead end job
Rep (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 30, 2018
Managers are in meetings or off celebrating something. Calls holding in queue & they never help. Lots of judgement, little encouragement. Pressure! It seems you have to either know someone or sleep with someone to get ahead. If you question anything, you will not advance.
If you are into dyed hair, tats and heavy set people, this is the place for you. If you are a lover of cube farms, you'll love it.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, parking.
Cons
Unreasonable workload, software failures, if you aren't at NHQ, you don't matter
professional atmosphere laid back.
Business Development Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2018
I worked for Am/Fam as an independent contractor, so the above questions didn't really apply to me. My day consisted of cold calling, appointment setting, management of CRM, and follow up on prospects renewal dates.
Licensed Agency Specialist
Licensed Agency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2018
I was licensed to sell property and casualty insurance in the state of Indiana for 4 years after passing the state exam. In addition to selling and writing policies, I also performed many office manager roles for the agent that I worked for.
Great office to work in.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GADecember 14, 2018
Reviewing claims, cancellations, endorsements and past dues in the management system.
Freedom and flexibility
Gained great relationships with my customers.
Pros
Very little overhead because it wasn't needed
Cons
Only 1 week vacation
Love This Company
INSURANCE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 14, 2018
I'm still insured by my old boss! Might even go back if my life gets a little more settled out! I'd definitely suggest this place to anyone who wants to sell insurance!!
The job is good, management structure is flawed
Underwriting Operations Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 14, 2018
I worked in Services (lots of background work with agents, no customer contact) and the job itself was great. The schedule was rather flexible: you have to be in sometime between 7 and 9AM, but when you arrive during that time is up to you, you will simply need to adjust what time you leave according to when you come in. They also give you the options of what's called a 5/4 schedule, meaning one week you work regular hours 5 days a week and the following week you work extended hours and get one day off or half of a day off. You get all major holidays off as well as some additional days (Black Friday, additional days of the holiday is on a weekend, etc.) I loved that the company allowed us the opportunity to create solutions and alternative procedures for problem areas within the job, but it was often pushed too hard. Essentially, it felt as if we were being asked to create a problem simply to fix it sometimes. When advancement became available, to put it plainly, the wrong people were promoted. Consistently, people who did things incorrectly or didn't do their job at all were promoted to higher positions, and perhaps the biggest point of frustration was that managers were promoted from other departments. Underwriters or policy and procedure employees were promoted into services with little training, so they couldn't efficiently manage their team as they didn't fully understand what their team did on a day to day basis. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the company and would have continued to work if I hadn't moved.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, good pay, fun coworkers, flexible schedule
Cons
Did not promote management within the department often
American Family
Excellent customer service (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30331December 13, 2018
1. A typical day at work can be a challenging but in a good way

2.What i have learned is that customers service is number 1.

3. The management is great
Awesome place to work..
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 12, 2018
Amfam is an awesome place to work if you like to stay in the same role and have no desire to move up or laterally. People stay in the same roles for 10+ years and are very content. They treat you well.
Office Admin
Office Administrative (Former Employee) –  Green Valley, AZDecember 9, 2018
Over 15 years of customer service, clerical and Administrative experience. My skills and experience include: Working well in deadline oriented work environments. Bilingual and Public Notary Licensed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight