American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Fast paced, numbers based employer
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 18, 2018
Great place to work if you enjoy meeting numbers/metrics. Pay is great. Work Saturdays and evenings starting off. Great employees, and great managers depending on who it is.
Pros
Alot of free food, yearly bonuses
Cons
Strict adherence/attendance policy
Good
Sales Market Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 17, 2018
I worked a few day per week during my last semester of college. The agency was flexible in helping me with work and college balance, I am grateful for the opportunity afforded to me.
Love the mission
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 16, 2018
I love the company but feel like I am being pushed out for not conforming. There are many roadblocks that I never figured out how to get through. There are too many reorgs and turnover.
Very Progressive
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 16, 2018
With the implementation of a new claims computer system, the company has become very metric drive, losing it's focus on intimate customer service the policy holders have become accustomed.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Claims Center/Catalyst claims computer system
Unfair expectations
Licensed CSR (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 15, 2018
Required overtime we were not paid for every week, meetings once a month on the weekends we were also not paid for. I took a few classes for life insurance that were supposed to be paid for as well (came out of my own pocket) The agent was usually out of the office and I was the only other one that worked there so I was required to run the show and was only paid $11 an hour. I received no commission for the sales I made. If we wanted to take a lunch we had to come in even earlier to do so.
Pros
Only worked with myself
Cons
Unpaid overtime
A great place to work
MARKETING INTERN (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJuly 15, 2018
This internship allowed me to learn the ins and outs of marketing for an insurance company. My goals were clearly laid out and my opinions mattered. I often worked directly with management and was an overall great experience.
Enjoyed several first years being an agent.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOJuly 12, 2018
So many changes in the company. New goals requested to meet every month.compensation based on the company commissions set forth..hard work and right decisions of hiring within your agency to make it work.
Cons
Instead of contract agents should be included as company employee

Comment – July 13, 2018

Overall the Company was good to me and my family.. I was able to retire and receive some compensation where as some not so fortunate ..

great people
Claim Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 8, 2018
great people to work with
try to do the right things and keep things equitable
a lot of senior leadership, no ability to work from home for claims professionals, managers are cheerleaders and not leaders
fun workplace, great boss
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 5, 2018
It was great to get to know regular clients. My favorite part of the job was the people. Organization, problem solving skills, and attention to detail were a must.
I enjoyed working for this company.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85035July 4, 2018
I would love to work for American Family Insurance in the future if I were to move back to Phoenix, AZ. It is a great work environment and the people there are amazing at teaching and making you feel comfortable working there.
Tax Analyst
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 28, 2018
Excellent company benefits, management, and workplace culture.
Reimbursement for education was good. Co-worker assignments were good. Allocation of work assignments was good.
Pros
Educational reimbursement
Cons
Advancement was difficult
One of the best places Ive worked.
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 25, 2018
Great place to work. I worked in agency. All agents are different you just have to find one that clicks with work work ethic. The overall company was amazing. They care about their employees and always want to help you advance. Plenty of room for growth, and they love to promote within the company. I learned so much while working here. I would definitely recommend working here.
American Family
Licensed Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Hollister, MOJune 21, 2018
I have enjoyed my time here and still am. I have my license and with that being said, you are somewhat responsible for the amount of money you are able to make or not make. Commission is where the better money is, so if sales are not for you, then I would not recommend getting into the insurance industry. If you like a sales culture and that environment, then I wholeheartedly recommend American Family.
Great company to be a part of for the most part.
Application Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 15, 2018
The company is great to work for and you do see people stick around a long time. The one issue is that your ability to move up completely depends on your manager, which at times can be frustrating when you repeatedly receive good merits and get some lousy excuse for why you didn't get a promotion. The expected amount of work is low due to long time spent in planning but you will get really busy when the planning pipeline unclogs and everyone is expecting to use the extra budget left at the end of the year to fund their projects. They do offer you 9 hour days with every other Friday off and a lot of other great features.
Pros
Every other day off, tickets to local sponsored events, cafeteria ( not free ), great co workers
Cons
Missing sense of checks and balances around your career, expectations vary drastically from team to team and manager to manager, old tech sometimes afraid of new ideas
From confusing computer systems to compensation, American Family is not what its cracked up to be.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2018
Their rates are high. Underwriting is a joke. Their claims dept. Is rated at the very bottom of top 30 insurance companies by J.D. power. To sell a product, you have to believe in it. Constant rate increases. Won't stop cramming life insurance sales down your throat, when their rates aren't competitive. No room for upward mobility as they are downsizing and not growing. Even if you have a good month it doesn't show in your paycheck. Half of these posts on here is home office trying to get the negative posts away from the top. People are nice there and it has a good work life balance....for sales or agents, but they cut corners in the claims dept and work them way too much. Claims take forever leaving unhappy customers. Executives make way too much money when this wasn't the case in the early 90s. They used go make 250,000/ year....now they make 10 million a year. The list goes on.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Everything else
No Review
Office Manager/Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 11, 2018
I have nothing negative to say about American Family Insurance. I had a 22 year good relationship with them and now I am ready to move on. I have learned many skills with them and believe I can apply my experience and knowledge over to many other careers.
Great place to work!
Customer Telephone Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 9, 2018
Great place to work; very flexible; great managers! Encouraged furthering your education and supported your career goals. Work balance and family life balance are great!
Productive and fun working place
Sr. Exstream Dialogue Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 8, 2018
Worked with wonderful and most helpfull team ever.
Hard part delays in getting input file.
Very structured work place.
Well organized management.
Very energetic team.
Pros
Free lunch and snacks
Cons
Short breaks
Fast Paced Supervisors Are Never Around To Assist
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 8, 2018
I couldn't get any help once hitting the floor. The supervisors seemed to be out of the office most days and the training was not adequate for the actual job.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Lack of Support
Great culture
Contract Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 7, 2018
Very strong culture of development and unity with this company. Many resources to learn products and feel comfortable having dialogue with customers. They provide tools you need to succeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss