American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

productive and kind environment
Customer Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 9, 2018
Provide customer services during taking calls. Multi-tasking using double screens. Making sure to be confidential yet efficient to handle customers immediate needs. Must be empathetic and thorough. Great people to work with.
Lack of Leadership
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 6, 2018
I had asked for assistance in training on how they handle their workload, and was not provided same. I would come in early, stay late, & was never able to catch up.
Not a trust worthy company for the customers and agents
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 5, 2018
Poor management and claims. High rates and unfair pricing for customers. The only way to advance is to either invest a lot of money in or be part of the good ol boys.
Great Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 4, 2018
I would recommend for American Family Insurance if you enjoy sales. It is certainly a sales job and you have to get out and get it, they don't come to you.
Agent offered poor pay.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 2, 2018
I worked in an agent's office. That agent determines the pay. If they do not want to offer increases, PTO, sick time- they don't. This agent required that we become licensed in Property & Casualty. Once I accomplished this, I was offered .50 more an hour! Enough said.
When I worked for American Family
Agent's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2018
When I worked for them, I was getting paid but under the table. If you were to call them as a reference they would say I never worked there. I was a very quick learner and wrote a quote for someone when my boss called and asked me to give him a quote.
Stable company
Commercial Farm Ranch Sr. Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 28, 2018
I worked as a salaried employee. Generally worked longer hours in the summer versus the winter. Company wants employees to succeed. Ability to advance skills by taking classes.
Full-time Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 28, 2018
I am very happy with my time at American Family Insurance. Although I needed to leave to join my wife elsewhere, it has been an excellent place to start a career.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good management, good salary and benefits
Cons
N/a
Small Office
Licensed Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 26, 2018
The office that I worked in only had two people....me, a licensed customer service representative and the main insurance agent. I enjoyed my job helping people and finding which products were of most benefit to them as well as provided financial services. It was a typical 40 hour work week. Occasionally there was continuing education given for free and the district office with others in the same position.
Pros
Quiet
Cons
Quiet
Poor Mangement
Casualty claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIJanuary 26, 2018
Unclear standards, favoritism, unprofessional, just to describe a few. This was not the case for all managers. Numerous incidents of manager speaking poorly about other employees to co workers
Fast pace and ever changing work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 26, 2018
Work from home options if you are reliable and a self starter. Every phone call is different, you never know what kind of call you will get. Ongoing classes and training. Service to all customers including agents and body shops, other insurance companies, medical providers. Must be adjustable to changes on a daily basis and work under very limited time restraints. Great advancement opportunities to other areas of company.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Time restraints for every phone call and actives that follow.
Great Company to work for
SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Wisconsin Dells, WIJanuary 25, 2018
American Family is a great company to work for. They have constant learning opportunities available for employees to keep up to date with the constantly changing rules and regulations.
Productive and fun place to work
Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 24, 2018
Great company to work for. Management was great made time for their employees. Culture was great. Most enjoyable place to work. Hand on training, continued education courses available to take.
Good place
Licensed Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 23, 2018
Customer service hours kind of stink other than that great company. Great benefits, great management, opportunity for advancement. Great culture by far.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Hours
Not a Great place to work
Agent (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 23, 2018
The office was drab. The Owner/Manager needed training on how to manage. His office and attitude was horrible. He didn't speak well of or with his clients. Had no supervisor skills.
Pros
great business
Cons
not a good manager
Na
Casualty Claim Desk Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 23, 2018
Would not recommend working in the Claims department. Employees are salaried and very over worked, often expected to work over 50 hours a week with no overtime pay.
Fast paced and often fun work place.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 19, 2018
You would need to be self-motivated and self-taught. The position was learn as you go with very little training and little understanding of expectations.
Pros
worked well with family emergencies
Cons
contracts were not consistent
different variety of jobs
Policy Processor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 19, 2018
Insurances can be difficult to understand so lots of questions from customers and agents how to process or understand the billing. Amfam gave more directions on how to improve your job setting as well and was asking for input to increase daily productivity or how to improve .
a typical work day.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 19, 2018
A typical day at work would be at your desk, you cannot go to the restroom unless you're on break. It is really hard to move up in the company unless you know someone.
Pros
breaks, good pay.
great work group career advancement employees matter
Senior Support Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 18, 2018
typical work day consisted of work assignment assorting pushing old work out follow ups and 2nd days, returning responses, begin processing. Occasional time for liaison meetings, also consistency meeting planning. Manager would let you plan you day as long as work was getting done and pushed out, work is was scheduled to you. Overall great company to work for would do it again.
Pros
recreational activities room for advancement and in involvement in work group

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight