American Federation of Government Employees

American Federation of Government Employees Employee Reviews

Higly political and lack professional understanding of carrying out responsibilities
Experienced Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2018
Highly political, lack professional understanding and experience in employment management. CEO and leadership are only interested in spending the members funds to enrich themselves. The members are sheep and blindly follow.
A wonderful experience and a great opportunity
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 15, 2018
Proudly and with gratitude as well honor to work in a capacity that was helpful to many employees and build long lasting relations with my colleagues.
Pros
A good opportunity and worthwhile experience
Cons
Can be emotional and heart wrenching
Fantastic Position and Work Environment with an established entity
Field Accountant/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
The union's purpose, goals, and directives were well-defined and consistent with what I personally believed. Further, the management, while not as financially astute and experienced as me, was exceptionally welcoming, encouraging, and instrumental in me becoming and Participant in the financial and union areas for which they had limited knowledge.

Overall, this small but exceptionally knowledgeable, talented, and professional staff of approximately 4 Senior Managers and 26 Accountants/Accounting Assistants provided a wonderfully experienced, mature, and great work environment.

Last, as an well-established entity with well-defined written personnel/human resource operating procedures and fantastic benefits, job security was exceptional.
Pros
Well established and beneficial entity with experienced and professional management.
Cons
Limited salary and job availability
Productive and Fun workplace with great culture and diversity
Union Laborer (Current Employee) –  Union Station Plaza, DCJuly 25, 2017
Challenging, Growth, Great money. This is a workplace where you will enjoy everyday at work. You will enjoy the challenging tasks and most of all the outgoing staff. This is a place that values their staff with great benefits!
I enjoy working with DC Department of Motor Vehicles but there are no potential promotions. I am looking to go further and to utilize my skills.
Secretary/Treasurer/Legislative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2017
Department of Motor Vehicles has been a great experience. My manage and administrator has always encouraged not to stop but go further in my career .
Pros
I was able to grow from a grade 6 to a grade 10.
Cons
I can not go any further at this point in my position
union representative
Vice President of the 19th Office, AFGE Local 1923 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2017
A typical day at work is being bombarded by unhappy employees for which I am required to perform assessments for the employees so solution plans can be formulated. The goal is to return employees to a happy state so they can resume completing the agency's work. I learned a host of things while working in the union office such as, workers compensation, equal employment opportunity, and the Agreement between SSA and AFGE. AFGE management can be difficult for you to learn and understand for management makes changes at the drop of the hat--unpredictability is high! The workplace culture is without a doubt cut-throat and no respect! The hardest part of the job is stopping management from violating the contract. The most enjoyable part of the job is being there when justice is served!
Pros
gain knowledge of federal law, learn how to read and interpret contracts
It was collateral duties
Local Union President (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJanuary 31, 2017
It was exciting to be able to assist other staff members when they needed representation why facing disciplinary actions
Pros
It was rewarding and satisfying to assist others in need
Cons
Duties tend to be adversarial with management
Challenge and rigorous environment
Chief Steward (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2016
i enjoy working for AFGE as it provides an opportunity to advocate for federal employees. My position requires a depth of knowledge regarding federal employment.
Rewarding Customer Service Position
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2016
On a typical day, I receive visitors either in person or via telephone and direct them to an available staff member. I sometimes may have to put on a "therapist" hat and be a listening ear as I am assisting employee's needing to report grievances.
Good place to hone skills
Xerographic Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2016
Good place to hone printing skills, very diverse atmosphere and good personnel and very busy with room to utilize a variety of skills in production and bindery, the hardest tasks is completing the volume request of demand and deadlines which challenges your esteem and commitment, the most enjoyable is receiving the positive feedback from customers. I've learned and lot of self managnging things when I'm the only person on site covering the shop.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
none at this point
I was elected to this position by federal employees of ft hood.
Executive Vice President, GS-5 (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TX 76544July 19, 2016
My day would be discovering new research into varies activities to get results to resolve an issue or complaint with an employee which would result in a fair conclusion. The hardest part of this job was long hours through the day for complaint interviews. My co-worker were very supportive and we would all have to work together to achieve a positive result to bring resolution to a situation before it became a serious problem. The most rewarding thing about this job was going different convention to learn the job better and make it easier.
Pros
Flying first class on an airline.
Cons
Going right back to work after returning from a convention
Flexible schedules and constant travel. Great work and awesome opportunities to build different relationships
National Organizer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work for me was that I would travel to whatever city I was assigned to on Monday and work Tuesday - Thursday and travel back home on Friday. I work alongside government workers such as doctors, engineers, professors, teachers, etc etc to help them maintain job security by getting a union where they work. I've learned the rights of workers and more communication skills and also how to work with people that are much older than me and some my age. I've learned to handle myself professionally and adapt to different cultures. Management I had little interaction with for the headquarters was based in Washington DC and I was traveling wherever they sent me. Stayed out of trouble and basically did my job. My co-workers, I was the youngest and the only African American male. I worked well with all of my co-workers and with their words, "I've helped to make their work experience better". The hardest part of the job is traveling so often; the hotel life can get to be a bit much. Now, if it was maybe two weeks out of the month, that would be different. But, it's weekly and I'm only home on the weekends. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility and even when traveling I have been able to experience the different cultures of many different people. Lastly, what makes my job enjoyable is that I'm not micro-managed and able to do my work properly.
Pros
Per diem in addtion to salary and travel from time to time
Cons
weekly travel and only home on weekends
Supportive Environment
Secretary to the Director of Organizing (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 2, 2014
Along with the various administrative duties I performed, I was also allowed to travel the country for various organizing campaigns and conferences. The staff embraced me like family. The management was awesome.
Pros
Getting to travel
awesome internship
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2014
nothing to complain about, typical govt job. you have opportunities to visit other departments and work is flexible.
Thriving union legal counsel environment
Staff Counsel (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2014
AFGE is one of the labor unions that appears to be growing and thriving and its size reflects that.
Pros
Everyone loved coming to work. Bonuses based on new members' dues were shared with all employees.
Cons
Difficult to find other work after leaving a union. Can be a very political environment.
Wonderful place to work
Executive Secretary to the President (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, West VirginiaApril 19, 2013
General administrative duties
Have been very supportive while I've completed my education
Work was intense needed to add the membership numbers
District Organizer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
I liked my job a lot people helped me get the job done and replied to the needs of the job. Wished i could have continued the job but they told me it was only for a year no gaurantees.
Pros
work hours was flexible
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Federation of Government Employees. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3