American Federation of Teachers Employee Reviews

Crazy hours, poor treatment, sense of fulfillment
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2018
Working as a union organizer is really hard. It's stressful and never-ending. The hours you'll work are absolutely crazy. That being said, the people are wonderful and passionate about what they do, and the work culture is fantastic.
Overall Good Environment and Good Quality of Life
Temp Organizer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2018
Hard work but very flexible and rewarding. Great team based environment, with coworkers that are truly interested in the common goal. Supervisors are "one of us," contributing to the teamwork mentality.
Intern Experience
National Union - Educational Issues Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2017
Excellent experience for students to learn more about education with professional support. You will get to have a lot of hands-on work in a variety of subjects and projects.
Great Place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2017
This is a great place to work. Teachers and school related personnel need a voice and this organization is the voice and protection needed for union workers.
Relaxed
Grievance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 27, 2017
I learned a lot about defending rights of employees. Enjoyed public speaking. The most difficult part of the job was going against attorney's who had more experience with representing employees than I did.
Pros
a lot of time off
Great place to work if you care about education and labor
Affiliate Data & Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2017
Great place to work with a great mission. If you care about labor or educators, this is the best place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with so many people dedicated to the teaching profession.
Solidarity
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 28, 2017
You work hard for the AFT, not because they ask it but because the work is for the benefit of one's fellow workers. It's a top-down organization so it's up to you to choose the path of the Union
Top heavy organization resistant to change
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 25, 2017
Despite being a pro-labor institution, the AFT cares far more about their managers than their low- or mid-level employees. This is unlikely to change.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, easy WMATA access, relatively high job security
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement, stagnant upper management
Flex schedule
Lead Organizer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 7, 2017
Great place to work. Awarded the opportunity to travel nationwide. The flexible work schedule is great. There is also room for advancement within the organization.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
n/a
Very productive organization, interesting work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2017
Busy schedule, especially when preparing a conference which would be for five persons to 2,500. Learned to organize events, travel, hospitality. Management, not the easiest, if you were lucky and had a great boss that helped. Workplace culture, coworkers were friendly, helpful in many aspects, interested in getting to know you. The hardest part of the job was the big responsibility about your assignments and you were on your own. The most enjoyable part, meeting the members, helping them, traveling, the excellent benefits.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent salary.
Cons
Very demanding assignments. Management too rigid.
Teachers (AFT)., Systems Architect (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 31, 2017
Great place to work, it is in the city near union station and it was a great location. The people are nice and the benefits are great. I think you will like it there.
Productive, big family oriented
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 4, 2017
Everyone speaks to everyone, each floor has its own perks. But all floors have friendly employees that know each other by first name. The floors are securely protected are easy to navigate.
Fast paced
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 31, 2017
The environment is fast paced, customer oriented, noisy and sometimes unstructured. I have learned that managing an office the manager has to be the organized, sensible one. The culture is one of young, vocal, opinionated semi professionals, who at times get very loud. The hardest part is keeping everyone in balance and focused on the job. I enjoy working, helping people customer service is in my DNA.
Over 30 years of IT culture
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2015
AFT is a dynamic organization that required a lot of work hours from my part as to provide support of the Infrastructure and data center.
Great internship
Library/ Research Personnel (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2015
Love the job and the location it was in
gained valuable experience before going to college
supportive management team
opportunities to grow
aft
Library Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
My internship was amazing. There are a few rude employees, they are a lot of nice ones also. Working there at an young age made me more aware of what a labor union is about. I had a wonderful experience.
Pros
downtown metro area
Cons
AFT is an organization which represents teachers, paraprofessionals, healthcare and public employees in the United States. It is a great organization
Executive Assistant to the President, AFT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2015
I was at the AFT from 1975 to 2008. I started as a Secretary in the Office Managers office. Promoted in 1977 as Secretary to the Legislative Director. In 1991, promoted to Human Resources secretary. 1992 promoted to Confidential Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer (elected official). In the next few years, the S/T was elected as President and I continued to be his "right hand" person until 2008.

A typical day could be business as usual or could become stressful. AFT represents over 1.5 million members, over 400 employees in the Washington, DC (based) building.

Most co-workers were exceptional and we worked as a team. Team work was essential when I worked in the Executive Office -- we had to be ready to jump into any situation. Even if the President was on travel, when needed, this special group that I was part of would go into action by assessing a situation and then report to the President and other elected officials wherever they were. I am very confident working in stressful situations.

The most enjoyable part of my job was scheduling high profile type of meetings which included White House staff, congressional leaders, etc who had a special interest in education. I was responsible for preparing agendas, talking points, possible web meetings or reserve conference rooms at large hotels, in another city other than Washington, DC etc.

I also prepared the expense reports, daily activity logs, arranged all transportation for the President etc.

It was my responsibility to supervise two secretaries and make sure that the office ran smoothly.
Pros
salary, pension plan, health insurance, sick/vacation leave etc.
Cons
Parking in the building was very expensive. The only con.
Continually Challenged in Unique and Interesting Ways
Staff Organizer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Each day presented itself with no challenges. No two days were ever alike.
Pros
Interact with a variety of people every single day. Different than any other job.
The peoples job
Staff Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 12, 2014
This was one of my favorite positions. Got the opportunity to train and gain knowledge and travel.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
irate members
Good job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 24, 2014
Great co to work for. Although they're no longer there. OMG! What more do you want me to say about this company? It is a good co to work for!