American Fidelity Assurance Employee Reviews

Best career I had , but at the time I had a brain trauma going on and I kept it quiet. At has been corrected and as I said, only good things to say!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2018
Excellent company and management team . I loved working with employees on their benefit choices. A class act company! Some products were great and others were no that competitive.
Pros
Working from home, travel and not sitting all day in an office
Cons
Achieving sales goals in some months
Great for single person starting a career
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2018
Opportunities exist to make a decent amount of income within a good environment provided you are willing to travel quite a bit (overnights via car/plane). Decent underwriting and a worthwhile product. Not the ideal situation for someone family oriented as travel can be extensive.
Pros
Work from your home office, self discipline required
Cons
A lot of travel if want to make significant income
Great Company
Educational Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 7, 2018
AF was a wonderful company to work for, especially while I was continuing my education. They offer competitive pay, decent benefits, and a lot of great incentives.
Friendly culture
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 1, 2018
Although it is a small privately-owned company, AFA had some unique approaches and opportunities. The worklplace culture prove to be an interesting and fun place to work.
Sales Galore
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 24, 2018
If you enjoy sales and are good at it, prepare to make some great money. As a 20 something year old I bought a fancy Italian sports car as a result of that. I loved the team that I was on and made my own schedules. It was awesome. I miss those days sometimes.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Slow periods outside of open enrollment
Collaborative environment with talented employees
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2018
Worked there as a contractor and found the environment to be collaborative, inclusive with talented employees. The organization is well regarded and provides well for their employees.
If you have done this before it might work for you
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAFebruary 11, 2018
It was a job that I wish would have had a little more training. I felt like there was a lot expected from you but not enough training or help. Management was not as supportive as it needed to be for one to succeed at the position.
Cons
Not enough support or training
Overpromised Underdelivered
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 7, 2018
The expectations set were greatly exaggerated compared to the reality. Management was an issue with under delivering the expectations. The quotas were unfair for the territory and training was sub-par. The pace was nonstop from early morning to evening to complete all of the required duties. The travel time was intense. The culture was definitely sales oriented with quotas being more important than doing what's best or right for customers.
Pros
company car
Cons
breakneck pace and focus on quota over integrity
A Positive Experience
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 3, 2018
I feel this was a challenging but overall good experience. I would come in and there would already be a lot to do, and it was overwhelming at times, but there is ample time and opportunity to complete the work. The management is always understanding and willing to help out if there are issues or if you cant get something done which is unique in my experiences with past jobs. This is a great place to work and I would love to stay if I was not moving.
Pros
Compensation, time off, bonuses
Cons
Changes, overwhelming workload, overcommunication
great people
Customer/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 28, 2018
loved working at the job, the people were great the job itself was wonderful, loved it. It was enjoyable, it was a joy to come to work everyday.the work load was never more than I would handle
Pros
great poeple
Excellent compnay cares about us as individuals
Senior Stop Loss Medical Plan Consultant (Current Employee) –  Remote - Hartford CTJanuary 25, 2018
Always Fair, Always Financially Secure, Always Flexible, Always Focused, Always Future - Oriented
I was hoping to retire from American Fidelity, this company is really good to their employees. Unfortunately the department I am in, has some job eliminations, due to extending business in a different direction.
Pros
Gym, Cafe
Worst managed company ever been associated with
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 13, 2018
Initially was a culture embraced by people and management that cared about people and their employees. Dramatic and abrupt change to very unorganized and extreme micro-management. Management has no feel for local and individual market conditions and never asks for this data or these conditions. A first line contact with clients and their employees, being put more into an administrative and clerical role rather than an insurance producer but increasing pressure to produce above quotas.
Pros
Company car
Cons
No work-life balance. Always a fire-drill.
Customer focused, driven by desire to be the best
Team Leader / Enrollment Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 19, 2017
many colleague benefits, but upper management is hard to trust at times. Annual assessments have surprises in them which indicates the manager did not do their job in mentoring the colleague before a bad review was received. There should be no surprises
Benefits Customer Service/Adjuster
Benefits Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 20, 2017
Benefits Customer Service/Adjuster
• Acquired the required documentation to assist in processing the disability claim.
• Obtained HIPAA authorization and ordering medical records if necessary.
• Answered inbound calls from customers regarding their policy, process of filing claim, eligibility requirements, benefit amount and status of claim.
• Directed customers to correct department and providing them with the correct information.
• Resolved customer complaints in a timely manner.
Very competitive, Great Benefits, Usually enjoyable working atmosphere.
Sr. Oracle DBA / Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 20, 2017
Small company with big company ideas both good and bad.
IT Direct managers are efficient and generally knowledgeable of dealing with problems but lack resource assignments with right talent, sometimes stagnating employees potential.
Upper management has problems keeping focus with what works for the company and create more problems by implementing ideas that work for companies like Google. They get too close to the bleeding edge, and try to evolve a solution instead of laying out a thoughtout plan to all involved causing confusion and slow productivity. Blame is not equally distibuted and can be disturbing to those who get caught in the middle.
Advancement is very slow unless you are in the right place at the right time, well educated, and willing to dedicate hours of personal time.

Common high competitive medium US company, so you'll have to deal with good, bad, and ugly like any other likewise.
Pros
Good place for new grads to start out in an IT environment. Great benefits. Great bonuses.
Cons
Management never focused, management keeps employees in competition instead of forming them by strengths, beware of stagnation of your talent it will be used against you.
It was ok
An, Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 13, 2017
This was a temp position, not much more to tell you. I was only there a couple of month and they didnt seem to want to hire me. So there is nothing to say.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
You can make money if you are prepared to sacrifice all else.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  USANovember 12, 2017
I did decent money-wise and the free car/free gas was nice......but I have never worked so hard for so little money. Managers play favorites. It's ALL ABOUT the accounts you get and the senior reps hoard them like gold and the managers will lie and say they have your best interests at heart, but in reality they only care about the team quota so they can get bonuses and go on trips. The one caveat here is IF YOU ARE YOUNG AND SINGLE, it is a great opportunity to learn how to be a sales person and overcome objections. You will learn this on your own, mind you, the managers mostly could not sell their way out of a paper bag and training is a joke. But you could do a lot worse than to use this company as a stepping stone to greater things. But travel is brutal. You will spend HOURS in the car after waking up at 5am. Home life will suffer. People can make a ton of money here, but you will never have heard so many people making $200+ a year complain so much about how much they hate their job.
Salary starts at 32 k which is a joke in most states. You get commission but only a very few people make any kind of good money in their first 12 months.
Pros
Crash course in sales, decent money, free car and gas.
Cons
Everything else
employee events
Risk Management, Senior Group Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73106October 26, 2017
offers employee appreciation events twice a year and bonus opportunities. Salary and benefits were average in the market. Very team oriented and lots of collaborations
Decent place to work if you are a true blue salesman.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 28, 2017
One on one meetings with 10-20 people per day to review their benefits through their employer and talk about voluntary insurance products including disability, life insurance and securities.
It was challenging,
Senior Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 22, 2017
I enjoyed working there for the most part. I tried to transfer to another Department and my Team Leader would not let me out of there. I stayed in my chair and worked till time to go home, I worked very hard for this company.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, great perks.
Cons
People get away with doing nothing because they are favorites.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Fidelity Assurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

American Fidelity Assurance Reviews by Location