American Fidelity Assurance Employee Reviews

American Fidelity’s slogan is “A Great Place to Work” but it’s far from that.
Life Account Admin (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 10, 2019
American Fidelity is a garbage fire on a sinking ship. I cannot even begin to describe all the things that are wrong with this company in only 150 characters. They try to distract you from how bad it is with certain “perks”, but it’s just not worth it.... it’s all smoke and mirrors and in the end, they don’t really care about their employees.
Pros
Onsite gym, restaurant, and doctors office
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, stressful work environment, impossible to get any training unless you are in benefits, billing, or the call center
Official response from American Fidelity Assurance
January 16, 2019

We’re sorry that you feel that way as we strive to be an Employer of Choice for all Colleagues. If you haven’t already, we recommend reaching out to your team leader, manager or director to discuss your concerns. You can also reach out to Talent Management for their assistance. We conduct a market benchmark study for our salaries every three years to ensure we’re paying at or above market value. For training opportunities, please talk to your manager about opportunities specific to your area, and check out AF Learning for on-demand training opportunities. The link to AF Learning can be found on the left side of the AFweb homepage.

Nice Place
Robotics Process Automation Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 7, 2019
Great place to work and great people, however they do not pay enough for interns. It was a fun experience and the people who work there are amazing. :)
Quiet Office
Branch Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 2, 2019
Good place to work if you are mid career seeking benefits and a regular salary. No opportunities for advancement unless you are willing to relocate. Not a bad job at all but I am looking to improvde myself.
Pros
easy going office
Cons
not included in team meetings
Very Political Environment
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 17, 2018
New employees need to pay close attention who they buddy up to because the person who you think is a work friend may be their downfall and cost them their job.
Politically charged, poorly managed ...dishonest people
Account Excecutive (Former Employee) –  MidwestNovember 26, 2018
I had a very bad experience with this company, the management is "who you know" and there were several people simply trying to please Nancy on a personal level. The remote IT support system was fraught with problems and the Corporate office support departments never wanted to answer your questions. I would never recommend this company to anyone as you were simply evaluated on your political skills to please management.
Pros
Company car with paid expenses
Cons
Management, management, management ...did I say management ?
The BEST job I ever had!!!
customer service advocate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 2, 2018
The training is a lot to remember and can seem overwhelming. It does click and they work with you a lot to help you become the best worker you can. that being said, you will always have something to do. the management team all the way up to the CEO really cares about there employees!! They always understand, if something happens that is out of your control like car broken down, a sick child, your sick, jury duty. They give you lots of time to use for sick days and vacation. they try very hard to make everyone feel special, important to the company and a fair work environment. they pay very well, they also offer health, vision, dental an actual retirement plan as well as a 401k, life insurance, and disability plans. this is the best company I have ever worked for, they really feel like a family. They are very family oriented which is great for a company to be understanding when you have your children to take care of.
Pros
amazing managers, great co-workers, lots of benefits
Cons
can be a lot, stressful
Hires you to be a workhorse
Client Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 1, 2018
High turnover and terrible management made it a very depressing place to work. Everything was monitored and if you go to the bathroom too much you get in trouble
Family oriented
IT Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2018
The company allows good mix of business and family. Due to being one of the top insurance companies, they require extreme security down to email security that disallows sharing of dates and large numbers that could be misconstrued as client birth dates and social security numbers, which makes it difficult for those trying to communicate in terms of business expenses such as invoice dates, and business account numbers. I
An excellent place to begin your working career.
Underwriter - Medical Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 4, 2018
I had the job of reviewing applications for Disability Income, Comprehensive Medical, and Group Life coverages. I learned a lot of medical terminology, and how to read medical reports. Then make a decision based on the information presented and the company quidelines required.
Pros
Working in an office, clean environment, professionalism
Cons
low pay
Office Life/Work Life- No balance
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAOctober 1, 2018
Small office with Narcissistic coworkers who like to micro manage your position. No room for growth or happiness. Everyone has been there for 15+ years and make put the company before themselves or make life decisions.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many Chiefs
Company
Benefits Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 25, 2018
It was a family company. It was family owned. Our Dept was a family, the supervisors was good. I will miss some of them. I made some friends there. That I will miss.
Pros
10 he work days
Mixed Bag
Sr. Programmer-Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 20, 2018
AFA is largely a great place to work. But it's also a mixed bag for an engineer. For one, the corporate hierarchy is ridiculous. You as a software engineer have a manager. Your manager works for an Applications Manager. The Applications Manager works for AVP Software Solutions. The AVP Software Solutions works for the CTO. The CTO works for the CIO. The CIO works for the "Chief Tech Strategy Officer" whom by the way only a couple years ago was a sales person from a sister company. This guy works for the COO. The COO. The COO works for the President. The President works for the CEO.

You > Dev Mgr > Apps Dev Mgr > CTO > CIO > Chief Tech Strat (recently promoted from sales) > COO > President > CEO.

That is EIGHT layers of management from you to the AFA CEO.

Almost none of the dev managers have any experience developing modern applications. The "architects" are actually quite smart and skilled technologists. The company has an old school, political oriented culture. Once you start working for the company you get addicted to the money and the relative stability of it all. So, for the most part, you don't care about the bloated management because you really just want a good job to feed your kids. Which this will do. But if you actually want to make a difference and do something interesting with your life, this is not the place to do it.

They play Fox News in the cafeteria exclusively. If that tells you anything.

AFA is an insurance company. It is a sales organization. You as a technologist job in the organization is to facilitate the sales organization. You are a cost
  more... center. The company makes lip service to understanding the role of technology and software but in the end it is still a sales organization. Like working for an oil company but more stable. This is not a bad thing really. If your primary concern is feeding your kids this is a good place for that. However, if you are looking for meaning and purpose as a technologist this is absolutely not your place in my opinion. My advice would be to work for a company that is at it's heart a technology company not a sales company.  less
Travel
Sales/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 16, 2018
A lot of windshield time in a company car. Not a glamorous job and the products are boring. Expect to pick up routes that have been flogged to death..
Wonderful company to work for
CSR II (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJuly 9, 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. I only left my position to be a stay at home mom and to attend school. This was a wonderful company to work for and I would highly recommend.
Truly Great Place To Work
Problem & Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 22, 2018
American Fidelity has a rich history not only of being a trusted insurance company, but also taking care of its employees. Benefits are, as you can imagine, ample. The company provides incentives to excel at your job, and frequently promotes from within. Corporate office personnel enjoy a variety of amenities including a gym & full-service lunch facility.
Pros
Company celebrations, great colleagues
Cons
split culture, slow adoption of change
decent place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
They are a decent place to work but they have an unfair practice of selecting a few people to work the accounts that will make you the most money. They don't account for your account markets when making decisions about quota decisions.
Great Place to work if you're in the right department
Pre-Existing Investigation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 2, 2018
The upper management seems to not care what middle and lower management does. In some departments, the work/life balance is great and some it's not. In some departments, the people and the work run smoothly and in others - complete dysfunction. I've worked in both. I don't understand how upper management can see such high turnover and low customer satisfaction and horrible turnaround times and still let the managers run as their usual. I was unlucky enough to get merged from a high-functioning, mostly happy people department with the complete opposite. It was horrible. I was naïve enough to believe that they would see how we got things done and want to emulate it. But the management was just interested in their power and maintaining it at any cost.
I heard that other departments were just as bad and other departments were great.
Pros
good insurance options, benchmarked salaries, bonuses
Cons
upper management letting lower management treat employees like trash
good money no worklife balance
Executive Account Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 23, 2018
not enough hours in the day to get then work done. Pay is decent after 2nd year. they base pay its very low to start. Company car and pension aren two of the biggest perks with this job
Best career I had , but at the time I had a brain trauma going on and I kept it quiet. At has been corrected and as I said, only good things to say!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2018
Excellent company and management team . I loved working with employees on their benefit choices. A class act company! Some products were great and others were no that competitive.
Pros
Working from home, travel and not sitting all day in an office
Cons
Achieving sales goals in some months
Great for single person starting a career
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2018
Opportunities exist to make a decent amount of income within a good environment provided you are willing to travel quite a bit (overnights via car/plane). Decent underwriting and a worthwhile product. Not the ideal situation for someone family oriented as travel can be extensive.
Pros
Work from your home office, self discipline required
Cons
A lot of travel if want to make significant income

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Fidelity Assurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight