American Fidelity Assurance Employee Reviews

The BEST job I ever had!!!
customer service advocate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 2, 2018
The training is a lot to remember and can seem overwhelming. It does click and they work with you a lot to help you become the best worker you can. that being said, you will always have something to do. the management team all the way up to the CEO really cares about there employees!! They always understand, if something happens that is out of your control like car broken down, a sick child, your sick, jury duty. They give you lots of time to use for sick days and vacation. they try very hard to make everyone feel special, important to the company and a fair work environment. they pay very well, they also offer health, vision, dental an actual retirement plan as well as a 401k, life insurance, and disability plans. this is the best company I have ever worked for, they really feel like a family. They are very family oriented which is great for a company to be understanding when you have your children to take care of.
Pros
amazing managers, great co-workers, lots of benefits
Cons
can be a lot, stressful
Hires you to be a workhorse
Client Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 1, 2018
High turnover and terrible management made it a very depressing place to work. Everything was monitored and if you go to the bathroom too much you get in trouble
An excellent place to begin your working career.
Underwriter - Medical Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 4, 2018
I had the job of reviewing applications for Disability Income, Comprehensive Medical, and Group Life coverages. I learned a lot of medical terminology, and how to read medical reports. Then make a decision based on the information presented and the company quidelines required.
Pros
Working in an office, clean environment, professionalism
Cons
low pay
Office Life/Work Life- No balance
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAOctober 1, 2018
Small office with Narcissistic coworkers who like to micro manage your position. No room for growth or happiness. Everyone has been there for 15+ years and make put the company before themselves or make life decisions.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many Chiefs
Company
Benefits Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 25, 2018
It was a family company. It was family owned. Our Dept was a family, the supervisors was good. I will miss some of them. I made some friends there. That I will miss.
Pros
10 he work days
Mixed Bag
Sr. Programmer-Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 20, 2018
AFA is largely a great place to work. But it's also a mixed bag for an engineer. For one, the corporate hierarchy is ridiculous. You as a software engineer have a manager. Your manager works for an Applications Manager. The Applications Manager works for AVP Software Solutions. The AVP Software Solutions works for the CTO. The CTO works for the CIO. The CIO works for the "Chief Tech Strategy Officer" whom by the way only a couple years ago was a sales person from a sister company. This guy works for the COO. The COO. The COO works for the President. The President works for the CEO.

You > Dev Mgr > Apps Dev Mgr > CTO > CIO > Chief Tech Strat (recently promoted from sales) > COO > President > CEO.

That is EIGHT layers of management from you to the AFA CEO.

Almost none of the dev managers have any experience developing modern applications. The "architects" are actually quite smart and skilled technologists. The company has an old school, political oriented culture. Once you start working for the company you get addicted to the money and the relative stability of it all. So, for the most part, you don't care about the bloated management because you really just want a good job to feed your kids. Which this will do. But if you actually want to make a difference and do something interesting with your life, this is not the place to do it.

They play Fox News in the cafeteria exclusively. If that tells you anything.

AFA is an insurance company. It is a sales organization. You as a technologist job in the organization is to facilitate the sales organization. You are a cost
  more... center. The company makes lip service to understanding the role of technology and software but in the end it is still a sales organization. Like working for an oil company but more stable. This is not a bad thing really. If your primary concern is feeding your kids this is a good place for that. However, if you are looking for meaning and purpose as a technologist this is absolutely not your place in my opinion. My advice would be to work for a company that is at it's heart a technology company not a sales company.  less
Travel
Sales/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 16, 2018
A lot of windshield time in a company car. Not a glamorous job and the products are boring. Expect to pick up routes that have been flogged to death..
Wonderful company to work for
CSR II (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJuly 9, 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. I only left my position to be a stay at home mom and to attend school. This was a wonderful company to work for and I would highly recommend.
Truly Great Place To Work
Problem & Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 22, 2018
American Fidelity has a rich history not only of being a trusted insurance company, but also taking care of its employees. Benefits are, as you can imagine, ample. The company provides incentives to excel at your job, and frequently promotes from within. Corporate office personnel enjoy a variety of amenities including a gym & full-service lunch facility.
Pros
Company celebrations, great colleagues
Cons
split culture, slow adoption of change
decent place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
They are a decent place to work but they have an unfair practice of selecting a few people to work the accounts that will make you the most money. They don't account for your account markets when making decisions about quota decisions.
Great Place to work if you're in the right department
Pre-Existing Investigation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 2, 2018
The upper management seems to not care what middle and lower management does. In some departments, the work/life balance is great and some it's not. In some departments, the people and the work run smoothly and in others - complete dysfunction. I've worked in both. I don't understand how upper management can see such high turnover and low customer satisfaction and horrible turnaround times and still let the managers run as their usual. I was unlucky enough to get merged from a high-functioning, mostly happy people department with the complete opposite. It was horrible. I was naïve enough to believe that they would see how we got things done and want to emulate it. But the management was just interested in their power and maintaining it at any cost.
I heard that other departments were just as bad and other departments were great.
Pros
good insurance options, benchmarked salaries, bonuses
Cons
upper management letting lower management treat employees like trash
good money no worklife balance
Executive Account Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 23, 2018
not enough hours in the day to get then work done. Pay is decent after 2nd year. they base pay its very low to start. Company car and pension aren two of the biggest perks with this job
Best career I had , but at the time I had a brain trauma going on and I kept it quiet. At has been corrected and as I said, only good things to say!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2018
Excellent company and management team . I loved working with employees on their benefit choices. A class act company! Some products were great and others were no that competitive.
Pros
Working from home, travel and not sitting all day in an office
Cons
Achieving sales goals in some months
Great for single person starting a career
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2018
Opportunities exist to make a decent amount of income within a good environment provided you are willing to travel quite a bit (overnights via car/plane). Decent underwriting and a worthwhile product. Not the ideal situation for someone family oriented as travel can be extensive.
Pros
Work from your home office, self discipline required
Cons
A lot of travel if want to make significant income
Great Company
Educational Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 7, 2018
AF was a wonderful company to work for, especially while I was continuing my education. They offer competitive pay, decent benefits, and a lot of great incentives.
Friendly culture
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 1, 2018
Although it is a small privately-owned company, AFA had some unique approaches and opportunities. The worklplace culture prove to be an interesting and fun place to work.
Sales Galore
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 24, 2018
If you enjoy sales and are good at it, prepare to make some great money. As a 20 something year old I bought a fancy Italian sports car as a result of that. I loved the team that I was on and made my own schedules. It was awesome. I miss those days sometimes.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Slow periods outside of open enrollment
Collaborative environment with talented employees
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2018
Worked there as a contractor and found the environment to be collaborative, inclusive with talented employees. The organization is well regarded and provides well for their employees.
If you have done this before it might work for you
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAFebruary 11, 2018
It was a job that I wish would have had a little more training. I felt like there was a lot expected from you but not enough training or help. Management was not as supportive as it needed to be for one to succeed at the position.
Cons
Not enough support or training
Overpromised Underdelivered
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 7, 2018
The expectations set were greatly exaggerated compared to the reality. Management was an issue with under delivering the expectations. The quotas were unfair for the territory and training was sub-par. The pace was nonstop from early morning to evening to complete all of the required duties. The travel time was intense. The culture was definitely sales oriented with quotas being more important than doing what's best or right for customers.
Pros
company car
Cons
breakneck pace and focus on quota over integrity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Fidelity Assurance. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight