American Film Institute Employee Reviews

See reviews about
Pretty Fun
Event Planner/Set Up, Part -Time Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I helped set up for after party events. The events were fun, fast-paced and interactive. The time was fun that was spent there and I met many high productive and influential people.
Creative and fun place to work
Director Education Programs (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2018
There is potential to learn a lot and move up the ranks while working at AFI. But overall management is laxed and not very progressive. Its fun because you are surrounded by the film industry professionals and able to see many movies and meet the creators.
Pros
creative
Cons
poor managment
Film Festival Volunteer
Publicity Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2017
I learned a great deal volunteering tor the annual film festival in the publicity department. I gained knowledge that I would take to my other work life to enhance my career path.
Pros
Craft services, gala events and being in the lime light.
Cons
not a paid position
Fun place to work for.
Director of Security (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 15, 2017
This job is a great opportunity for anyone looking to run a security department. This jobs has great room for growth and opportunity. Everyone is treated well.
Pros
Money
Cons
Driving
Organized and fast-paced work environment
Intern/Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2017
An amazing school that produces high quality filmmakers and content. Amazing people, very fast-paced and high volume of work. It's all very rewarding, though.
Varied
MANAGER OF TECHNICAL SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2016
A great smaller place to work. Very intense and result-driven for the fellows. The CEO had a great vision and was a pleasure to work with.
Pros
people, work
Cons
small
Coordinator, Individual Giving (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2016
Depending on your career path a good place to work with good people. Not as involved with working with filmmakers as I had hoped. Great events and great campus.
A dedicated staff
PRODUCTION SOUND/PRO TOOLS/AUDIO ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Instruct and advise AFI Fellows on proper techniques for the following: recording audio during location and sound stage film shoots, dialog editing, creating special audio effects via use of sound libraries and creative methods within Pro Tools, recording and editing ADR and Foley, exporting AAF and Quicktime reference from Avid Media Composer for mixing and creating Print Master for audio layback to HD Cam. Teach a two-week course annually on recording, editing and mixing with Pro Tools. Edit and mix audio from AFI sponsored events including: AFI Fest, AFI Life Achievement Awards and AFI DOCS.
Quiet but fast pace job enviroment.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2014
It's a great place to work, to learn, to grow.
Great job envieroment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Archive of old photos, set up data base for AFI
Archivist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2013
Working at AFI was intriging. I had a lot of responsibility as their photos were all being warehoused in a basement. I moved them to a temp controlled environment, catalogued them and set up a data base for retrieval. This was a great job and I felt honored to have contributed to the preservation of this renowned institutes legacy. Salute!
learned a lot about the film industry
Personal Assistant/Camera Crew (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAOctober 19, 2012
a typical day would be to set up on location film actors , or get a brief
interview.
Pros
a good place to network
Cons
a long way to drive