American Freight Furniture and Mattress Employee Reviews

American freight
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OHSeptember 11, 2018
American freight is a good job to have if you are prepared to work for your money it is a straight commission based job which at sometimes becomes cut throat but the more time you out into the job the more likely you are to make more money.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hours and is mandatory weekends with
American freight is a great company
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 10, 2018
This company is a fast growing company but it strives of seasons in the year fall and winter the sales lower by the time february the company is back to its normal businees. I am looking for another job to maintain personal and family expenses for the time I am not at american freight where I have a flexible schedule and awsome work friendly environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of hours fall and winter due to business slow down
Fast paced work enviorment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2018
Great place to work! This is a wonderful company with a great atmosphere. They definitely push you to maximize your career.
the Regional Managers are hands on with your growth.
Pros
Pay
It was a fun workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 4, 2018
I had to unload company shipment truck on delivery days, I kept all of the boxed furniture in numerical order and cleaned the warhouse, I also had to load and unload customer vehicles
Pros
Discount on furniture
Cons
No paid lunch
Job life is not for anyone with a family life style
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 28, 2018
Could be a great job for the correct person that does not have or want to have a family life. Pay is good during tax time but not worth it during the rest of the year.
Pros
Could make good money
Cons
No real training by manager. Tickets (your paycheck) can be taken without a way to be tracked, spend 9+ hours a day no real lunch break. Manager don't lead by example
Basic day at work
Accounts Payable Accountant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHAugust 16, 2018
The company went through ownership changes. I was there for about 6 years. The new management brought in outside people instead of promoting within.
The day consisted of working on invoices that were due for payment within a 10, 15, and 30 day time limit.
I would also be involved in monthly accruals which were directed by the finance manager.
Pros
Working with the store managers to solve issues.
Cons
Managers that do not utilize employees experience.
Seasonal job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCAugust 3, 2018
It was a physical job as far as lifting furniture, using hand cars to move furniture, organizing the whole warehouse. Also keeping the warehouse clean.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Seasonal
It was a great journey I had while I was there
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Northfield, OHJuly 31, 2018
It was a great expercience for me at American frieght because of the skiIl i encountered while I attended there and it really helped me in the long run
Pros
very beneficial
Cons
labor
Fun place to work for i got alot of experience and would work there again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 26, 2018
I would recommend people to shop and work there great environments i would work there again i leaened alot of different kinds of mattress and there quantity
Overworked
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Penn Hills, PAJuly 23, 2018
Management was always pressured and overworked as well as the staff. The conditions of the building were far from acceptable with no heat or ac concrete floors and no lunch areas this job was the worst in that nature. The best part about working here was the people I worked with
Great Company
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2018
Good pay very competitive working atmosphere very professional atmosphere if you are good with people great place to work for as far is the warehouse is concerned you can work out for free by jus doing your daily tasks
Stable company that guarantees the permanence of its employees
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 16, 2018
Stable company that guarantees the permanence of its employees, offering them the opportunity of promotions and reviews in the compensation, provides training in relation to industrial safety and other associated to the tasks of the position.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Short brakes
N/a
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 8, 2018
it was always something wrong with the store whether it was a water fountain messing up to bathrooms flooding or customers returning merchandise and not being dealt with properly.
Sloppy Company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Peters, MOJuly 4, 2018
They don’t care about their people and they use you till you’re no longer convenient for them. They pay you next to nothing unless you hit your commission goal to work in a hot metal building that floods. Their merchandise gets destroyed and mold growth occurs constantly from the indoor flooding. I was doing sales, warranty claims, HR and managerial tasks for my store manager, and more. I even promoted the store on my personal & business Facebook accounts. Less than minimum wage for he work I did. If you want stability and job security this is not the place to work. There is in fact opportunity to make money and advance to higher positions... if you want the headache that goes along with it.
Pros
Awesome coworkers & opportunity for advancement
Cons
Work for next to nothing & get used by the company
Corporate sounded great at first...
Corporate Staff (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 26, 2018
No chance of advancement.
Seniority does not make a difference- you never get valid raises.
Insurance was a joke.
HR is a nightmare and so is doing the payroll- no breaks from that- even on holidays and don't even get me started on holidays there aka they don't exist.

Corporate is not what it's cracked up to be. Be prepared for some crazy phone calls and even crazier people at the corporate office... I have been told by a long time employee that they have gone the direction of hiring temps and that there is no such thing as job security there now. Lots of mystery firings.
Pros
Cons
Slave Work
Upsetting Place to Work
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 20, 2018
Very conservative work environment with catty staff and employees who gossip all day. An open office with no privacy to make a phone call, and very strict 30 minute lunches. There is no sick time, 401k, or vacation. People come to work sick a LOT, and it's pretty gross. Company-wide, there are hard workers who do all the work, and bullies who take the credit. Those bullies then seem to become the management.

While my specific manager was a good guy, the higher management was aggressive, sexist, sales-y, and unprofessional. As far as creative jobs go, this isn't one. You will be directed exactly what to do, only after various inefficient meetings and emails where nothing is accomplished. Most, if not all, new ideas are considered to be insubordinate. Customer service doesn't occur once they have received payment, and employees who put the customer first get disciplined for not protecting the company and the bottom line.

Warehouses don't have AC or heat. They are inhumane environments, not only to work, but to shop. You just feel bad for the people working in the stores, especially as commission only. They are trained to lie and do anything for a sale. They sell items that have already been purchased, and lie to both customers to get both sales. If inventory or other problems arise because of this, they blame manufacturers, delivery, or anyone they can point the finger at to keep the money and not take blame. They claim not to do this externally. If asked internally about it, they say everyone does this and it is normal. I really don't think that's true...
Pros
Group Health Insurance at corporate level, hire military veterans
Cons
Unprofessional, dishonest, low pay, inhumane working environments, inflexible, no time off or 401K
Working at AF
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 18, 2018
I have been with the company for a short time and I moved up fast however they don't really work with you if you are new and need medical time of nor do work with family time.
Fun place to work, co workers are excellent to work with
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 15, 2018
Great place to work. Management is great. Hard word until you get use to it. Everyone gets along well. We work as a team to get the work done. When unloading trucks everyone step in to help out. Great job if you don’t mind working in the heat.
Pros
Give raises, take on the clock breaks
Fun place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 14, 2018
Easiest job I ever had! You have to have alot of physical strength to work there. The cowokers and managers got along great! The most enjoyable part of the job is that sometimes they would buy us lunch.
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Cons
constantly busy
Never again
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJune 14, 2018
Their furniture is cheaply made and they don't care about the employees at all. ALl they care about is the bottom line and the almighty dollar. This company is eventually going under

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Freight Furniture and Mattress. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.3

1.2Personal Development

1.4Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight