American Furniture Warehouse Employee Reviews in Gilbert, AZ

The greatest place i ever worked at
Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 5, 2019
Hands down this is one of the greatest place i have ever work at. first off all the proper trianing you get when you start, they dont miss any details with you. then you have your 3 month raises every 3 month you have a chance for a raise. Coworkers are just the best to work with too. one thing that AFW loves is saftey first
Pros
raises every 3 month
Cons
30 min break
Great Place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 16, 2019
I really enjoyed my time here, lots a really great people. Managers are great, you get to meet a lot of cool people including customers. the store brings in so many people you are really always busy if you choose to be.
Pros
No cap on commission
Cons
Not knowing what your next paycheck will be
Great company, okay management
Pulling Manager (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 25, 2019
The company has been great to me and my family for 6 years, however the management has been lack luster. Leads and Department Managers are treated at the bottom of the load. Managers also do not get paid enough for the work the are responsible for.
Very poor management.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZDecember 7, 2018
It has been said before here. Favoritism here runs rampant. At least on the warehouse side. Be buddy, buddy with the warehouse manager and you will go far. Do your job the best you can, and you will held back. Lower managers are just as bad, it is like high school there. Be part of the club or get passed over. As for the general employees as in every company there are good and bad ones.
Pros
Higher pay then most companies
Cons
Leak of any real management, and favoritism with upper management.
buddy system
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 20, 2018
its the buddy system if your not in good with the managers you don't have much to go on... they will cut your job or position for a friend and if your not in the group you don't get to move up
Pros
great pay
Cons
have to have a friend in management to move up
Great pay
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 18, 2018
Great pay, varying schedules. Alot of competition to advance. Great training anf incentives. Company is growing and expanding rapidly and the owner activley participates in the culture of the company.
Fast Paced and lot of hours
Delivery Helper (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 24, 2018
Great company too get your life started and save money. But do not recommend with a family, managers are very strict and operations are ran like your in a correctional facility.
April 3, 2018

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and being a team member of our company. I am disappointed to hear that not all of your experiences have been positive with AFW. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees and please know that your comments are seen by the Human Resources department in order to help AFW improve as a company. Sincerely, AFW

workplace
CPU/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 4, 2018
Didn't really care to much about the workers. Training was like being at a sleep over. They had picks and the ones from out of state were the pick. the best part of the job was helping he customers
Great place to work, with Great pay
Front Office Lead and Cashier/ Financing (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 16, 2017
This is a great place to work. They pay well even starting. Everyone is treated equally, and you can count on the same schedule weekly, so that planning and a family can work together.
Pros
Discounts and paid time off, sick or vacation
Cons
Weekends and holidays
April 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience here at AFW! Sincerely, AFW

Great Benefits
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 8, 2017
They give you good benefits and you continue to accrue vacation and sick time. You have the ability to move forward in a position and they show recognition for your hard work.
April 3, 2018

Favoritism and lack of communication. A lot of egos and testosterone
Delivery Check-in (Former Employee) –  GilbertOctober 24, 2017
Not the best job but did my job. Management turn over was a joke. No training for new management. Wasn’t part of the job description but still landed on my desk.
Pros
Work/life balance
April 3, 2018

We value and consider all feedback and we will continue to find ways to improve, so thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Sincerely, AFW

no respect for workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 24, 2017
I would say this company has no respect for its workers. Its the lowest commission ever, 4%. They have over 80 salespeople.

If something goes wrong, its your fault. If something goes right, its because of the owner.

If they like you, you can get away with anything.

There is no upward mobility and your input is not welcomed.
Pros
Cons
management, corporate attitude, no rules
Nice place for trade work.
Carpenter/Furniture Repair Tech (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 26, 2017
Lots of management not working with you, but woodworking and trade work in a cooler environment in AZ. Also plan on working weekends, and nights, if you do work here.
It is good
Commission Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 9, 2017
Overall not a bad place to work, fair pay decent benefits, worked here for going on two years and I would recommend it to anyone that does not mind retail and working holidays
high volume large busy retail furniture store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 10, 2017
very large retail store with over 400 employees, very busy and was a great opportunity. Lots of pressure put on sales managers, consequently lots of pressure on you. Very satisfying when helping people finding items to fit there lifestyle and making a house into a home.
Decent Place to Work, Nothing Stays the Same for Too Long
Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day as a Furniture Sales Consultant with AFW starts with a mandatory sales meeting which in my opinion could have been relegated to once a week on the weekends when the entire sales force was able to attend rather than repeating the same information four or five days in a row. The "management" team is pretty hands off. You do your job they pretty much leave you alone. With 70+ sales associates on the floor, you deal with many types of personalities who come from different backgrounds. Sometimes ethics is an issue. There isn't really any clear cut indication of what's wrong and what's right, so there is friction between coworkers and the management team seldom gets involved, sometimes making it uncomfortable. I've learned a lot about people, their buying habits. I've learned not only to what people are saying, but also what they're not saying. I've learned read body language and gestures. Hardest part of the job is trying to work with so many different personalities, both with clients as well as coworkers. My most favorite part of the job is being able to help people make their houses into homes. It was my duty as a Furniture Sales Consultant to inform and educate customers on the products based on their needs. I felt fulfilled helping families realize their plans for their homes.
Pros
No Micro Managing, Opportunity For Great Pay
Cons
Monotonous Sales Meetings, Little Opportunity for Advancement
February 28, 2017

We value and consider all feedback and we will continue to find ways to improve, so thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience. We are committed to creating a culture of belonging, inclusion, and diversity. We strive to not only hire a team that is diverse not only in gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religion, and age but also in cultural backgrounds, life experiences, thoughts and ideas. Although this may occasionally cause personal clashes among team member, we strongly believe that diversity enhances our culture and drives our business towards success. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you luck in your future endeavors. Sincerely, LaRae Richards.

Would Have Been a Lot Happier with Better Management
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 26, 2016
I really did like working here, but our managers were not dedicated to adhering to corporate procedures or seeing us grow and succeed as creative individuals. Besides this, I also left the company because I felt my standards for visuals were higher than the company's standards, creating a conflict of professional goals.
Pros
Great pay, fun coworkers.
Cons
Hostlie working environment, lack of leadership amongst local managers, lack of oversight of local management.
No leadership here!!!!!
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 31, 2016
The management here is with out a doubt the most self serving and ignorant group of people i have ever indulged in my career. there is no team participation between management and employees! if you make a mistake management will not work with you to rectify a solution with you they will just replace you! this company will promise you the world and then flat out fire you if you make a mistake! there is no dialog with employees only reprimand. do yourself a favor, gain employment with a small "Mom & Pop" organization where you'll be recognized for your hard work & sacrifice.
Pros
ignorance to your short comings
Cons
retaliation for taking an interest in the company!
My review is American Furniture Warehouse is an excellent place to work.
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 5, 2016
I had the opportunity to work as a Greeter in Gilbert, AZ and made the mistake of leaving after 3 months at the end of September, 2015, thinking I wanted to go back to my previous job, because of their four day work week. I never called in sick at AFW, did my job with a positive attitude and gave two weeks notice when I left. I tried to get re-hired again there at AFW, but was e-mailed they would go with other more background, suited applicants for a customer service or Greeter position. I really enjoyed working there and miss it. The co-workers and all levels of management were great to work with. They treat their employees and customers well. I am still trying to understand why I wasn't given a second chance .I have a BA degree and extensive customer service experience in both the private and public sector. I even conveyed I would make a long term commitment if given the opportunity to be re-hired.
It is an awesome company with great products. LIve and learn. At least I am still a customer.
If you love people and don't mind relying on commission only, this is a great place to work
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 30, 2015
Enjoyed selling furniture to the public. I knew nothing about furniture sales prior to this but education is provided. You must work weekends and most holidays. It is commission only. It is the best commission only sales job you could ever have because the furniture really sells itself. The integrity of this company (compared to other furniture sales) is what kept me there for 2 years.
Pros
good management, hassle free, if you work, you make the money
Cons
commission only, pay check varies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Furniture Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight