American Girl Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, enjoyable environment with amazing people for an amazing company.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 18, 2018
I loved my time at American Girl and wish that it didn't have to end! It is such a great company that really appreciates their employees and their customers.
The pay was pretty good for an entry level position. Me and my coworkers all became so close and I really enjoyed my time there. They make sure that you get breaks, get the hours that you want, and have the opportunity to try different things.
As a temporary store, I will say that the corporate people were not always very nice to us as we were working to figure things out. Also had to deal with some drama between coworkers, but I guess that is any job. I also wish there were more specific tasks outlined, sometimes we didn't know what to do when the store wasn't busy.
Pros
Excellent pay, positive environment, good company, clear expectations, good training
Cons
Corporate, not always very productive
Great company, with some drawbacks
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2018
A great company who has gone thru many changes over the past year. Coworkers are great and company mission is great. Very fast paced and stressful. Constantly changing priorities with no clear direction from senior management.
Pros
lots of paid time off, great product, great coworkers
Cons
priorities were constantly changing and clear leadership was lacking
Seasonal Work
Direct Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIApril 12, 2018
A typical day as a Direct Service Representative included taking customer orders, verifying customer's addresses, issuing returns and replacements and tracking customer orders.
The hardest part of the job is trying to be patient with frustrated customers.
The most enjoyable part is knowing that your customer is satisfied with the results you provided for them.
Productive and Easy tasks at American Girl
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
A typical day at work when the store is out of season is very slow especially during the week. Usually the store livens up during the weekends and can get pretty hectic. I learned how to quickly ring up customers on cash registers, how to sell doll and doll items, learned how to be patient and considerate of what the customer wants, and how to create doll outfits.
Pros
Paid breaks, 30% Employee Discount
Good
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2018
Good job environment that is fast-paced and overall pays well! The managers take the time to listen to you and everyone gets along fairly well. The staff is great.
Interesting mixture of customers
Guide customers returning items (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIApril 7, 2018
I enjoyed working the Busy Season at American Girl and made some new friends at the same time. I hope I'm invited back for the 2018 Holiday Season. We had a really nice Free Holiday lunch and I even received a Free Flu shot.
Pros
Generous 30% discount
Excellent Store
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 3, 2018
It was an Excellent store from the General manager to the janitor. Everyone was lovely and the brand name is an outstanding display of characters. I would highly recommend working for American Girl.
Pros
Great Work Environment, Outstanding Advancement and Individual Training
Cons
Store Closed
Working in a warehouse
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMarch 28, 2018
Working in the warehouse was fast paced environment, making sure that all orders went out on time from the distribution center. working with many different department at one time doing different jobs through the day made time go faster.
Pros
close to home
Cons
didn't have enough work to keep employees working
Bad management in the security dept.
Asset Protection Agent/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 26, 2018
Management in the Asset Protection Dept. is terrible and HR is cold blooded. When you are questioned about a mistake you may have done they will not even listen to your side of the story. In managements and HR's eyes...you are already guilty.
Pros
Pay and Bennifits
Love
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 25, 2018
American girl is a great place to work even for their seasonal positions, they are very family oriented, pay good, very nice people, good training, very fast paced which is nice. Good hours no weekends unless mandatory overtime which isn't very often. The employee discount is also a huge plus.
Great place
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMarch 19, 2018
American girl is a really great place to work. The training is excellent, and it has a really relaxed vibe. It is a seasonal job and they do not hire on full time employees.
Working at American Girl
PUBLICATIONS SPECIALTY SERVICES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 18, 2018
I have learned a great deal while working at American Girl, opportunity to advance is difficult, enjoy working with my co-workers, flexible hours if needed, have had both good and bad managers, benefits are good.
Pros
Cafe on site
Super fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 14, 2018
I was 18 at the time I was working there and it was fun. Although it would get pretty busy, it makes the day go by faster. The management were very supportive and were there for us.
Productive and fun workplace
Direct Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMarch 7, 2018
American girl was a great place to grow my people skills because every day I was on the phone so many different kinds of people with different personalities and I had to learn how to match their personality to ensure that they had a good experience speaking with me.
American Girl
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
American Girl overall is the most amazing job I have ever had.Being able to put a smile on a child face is the best feeling ever. I feel like my work days always are great . I really got to interact with the costumers.
Pros
everything
Just no
Retail Service Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMarch 5, 2018
Managers and executives do not care about their employees. Lack of hours, benefits, training, poor sick day policy, poor technology with no training or support on it and unnecessary high volume of reviews that provide no useful feedback lead to a very poor office environment. They do not value employees or customers.
Pros
none - free coffee in december doesn't count
Cons
so many - missing work policy is egregiously unfair, low pay, low hours with required open schedule, no support from upper management
Fun, Lots of weekends working, lots of turnover
Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 2, 2018
Lots of training new associates
fast paced
required to read books to acquire more knowledge of the dolls stories
lunch provided by HR once a month
HR was always available to talk
American Girl
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 1, 2018
It was a fun and steady work environment. Unfortunately, There really wasn't room for advancement within the company. I feel it would it be a good part time job for a college student.
Pros
Free lunch breaks
Cons
Sometimes it was very slow
Management at it’s WORST
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2018
I would NOT recommend this place to Work at all. Certain Managers have no people skills, also if you do not enjoy being stalked stay away from this horrible place. Do not trust the smiles at the interview they will quickly show you their true colors...
Fun and productive
Lead Hostess (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2018
Going for my server to a hostess it worse was an atmosphere that was filled with joy and laughter. Working with little girls from all over and their families in a small workspace it was easy to make connections and lasting impression. As children would come to sit and eat at the bistro it was my responsibility to make sure that they were seated at proper time and had the best experience as possible. The most rewarding thing was watching a smile on each little girls face as she left.