American Greetings Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

good experience
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2019
Hardest part of the job is during high volume holidays Might be a slow store meaning merchandise may not sell other places will. decent hours pay well
It was interesting while it lasted
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hazel Green, ALJune 8, 2019
It wasn't a terrible job but it could of been better. The route they had me on they didn't have anyone on it permanent for 3 months before they hired me. The co worker whom was servicing the route she had things all messed up bless her heart. Instead of following the placement diagram she would arrange the cards and party favors how she thought they should be placed. Due to that it made it to where I had to play find the spot for the items witch caused me to go over the allotted time for the individual stores. They don't want you to go over on your allotted time.!!! I did enjoy the job hate the fact that my manager gave my route to another merchandiser said she needed the extra hours more then I did. So basically I got stabbed in the back when my husband was not able to work for health reasons after an accident because my manager gave my route to someone else. Put me on his reset team that does nothing but resets, new stores setup, cover sick people routes. Basically golfer/ grunt work!!
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
No bennifits for Merchandisers
Great flexible job
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 3, 2019
American greetings is a great company to work for. You have a flexible schedule and good people to work with. The day after holidays are very fast paced but still enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No health insurance or paid holidays
You'll lose money working here
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJune 2, 2019
Get paid minimum wage but have to work your butt off. There's never enough time to get what you need to get done. Don't get paid for going store to store.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else, but the flexible hours
Really flexible and great management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCMay 29, 2019
I enjoyed working for American greetings. If I could return today I would. The manager I had the opportunity to work with you very professional and very nice and considerate. It had to be one of my favorite jobs.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Few hours
Flexible except for Holidays
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 26, 2019
Typically work own hours within weekly job assignments. But sometimes mandatory times.

Worked own schedule around kids’ schedule which was great. However during weeks prior to holidays would receive mandatory last minute schedule such as "before 8am" or "8 hours on Monday". Works well if you have family support and last minute transportation & care for your kids. Also 8-10 hours day after Christmas, Mothers Day, Easter etc made family travel impossible. Hard to justify w the low pay missing that and also having to pay ppl to transport the kids.

Loved my managers! The best. Hated to leave but a recurring shoulder injury made it impossible to shelve the cards and I was having surgery if I continued.

Finally, I loved the American Greetings business culture. If the pay was higher or if I had family support I would still be working for them.
Pros
Make your own schedule of days not right around holiday
Cons
Last min requests if childcare is an issue
Rarely get help holiday sets if you're in a big store but all in all it's a good place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 21, 2019
My first manager was great always communicated and cared about her people my second manager does not communicate well at all which makes it hard. But basically you are your own boss and set your own schedule which makes it great work-life balance holiday scents can be stressful and hard to get done if you're in the bigger stores and cannot get any help having to deal with store management can be difficult at times that's with any store in any job
Pros
You make your own schedule with the hours you are given
Cons
Lack of communication from management
Very flexible and enjoyably place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, VAMay 17, 2019
A very flexible and enjoyable place to work with a good atmosphere and friendly colleges. You can chose your own hours and are responsible of tracking your own hours.
Interesting work at your own schedule
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMay 17, 2019
The best thing about working for American Greetings is being able to set your own schedule. It gives you a lot of freedom. It feeds your creative side, to an extent, as well. Setting new displays is interesting and satisfying. It is rewarding seeing your finished product and helping people to find what they are looking for. The drawbacks are always seeing your work undone and feeling like you never accomplish anything lasting. It is hard having to continue cleaning up after apathetic people, that continually trash out your displays, sometimes even before you are finished setting them. They used to host Holiday get-togethers but last year, stopped. Also, the hours are not consistent. You either get way too few or a bunch all at once in a very overwhelming setting.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Amount of hours are not consistent. It is feast or famine.
Love it! Flexibility is fantastic!
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 14, 2019
Work life balance is exceptional! Ability to work and still manage a household, make appointments, take care of personal matters and still have a job!
Pros
Flexibilty
Not for anyone under 50
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lapeer, MIMay 11, 2019
I loved working for this company. It was very fun to set up holiday cards, and my manager was so kind. It's not really the companies fault but if you're not 50 or older you feel really awkward. There were times where I would do a revision and all my coworkers ignored me or treated me like I was 5 because they all were 50+ so I didnt really have much in common with them.
I'd only work 5 hours a week and I just couldnt live on that. Store managers of the stores you would put cards up on would treat you badly, if they didnt like you they would call the manager and get you removed from the store.
I think my age had a lot to do with it, I was 25. I needed something to live off of not a side job that retired ladies do.
Pros
Fun, set your own hours
Cons
Little hours, horrible stores, to much stock
Its a job that is very flexible and can be fun but also stressful around holidays.
Part-time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Clovis, NMMay 8, 2019
Part time merchandiser is a good part time flexible job. It is not a consistent pay amount and the hours aren't consistent either. It can be fun, but the boxes are heavy and you will be doing some physical work. Hours really depend on how many stores you have. Support is great and manager is wonderful.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Good Job, company needs to work on communication!
Part-Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMay 5, 2019
Great job for a college student who is good at time management and organization. Flexible schedule except when specific activities are due. Can be hard to work with individual store's management teams but the work is satisfying.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay
Fast-paced, creative, fun workplace; flexible schedule
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 2, 2019
I enjoyed my time with American Greetings! The flexible, part-time aspects of the position won’t work for everyone, but can be great for some! There is some heavy lifting involved, but for the most part I really enjoyed the work. It’s active and creative, and can be really fun! My manager was great, I just wasn’t crazy about the management of the store I merchandised.
Pros
Flexible, works with your schedule
Cons
Having to communicate and plan with rude store staff
Horrible management
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Camden, ARMay 2, 2019
You almost never see or hear from your district manager, and the DM changes every 3 months anyway due to high turnaround, so half the time you dont even know WHO your DM is.
Cons
Great for flexible working hours.....But...
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  NCMay 1, 2019
Great for setting your own hours, except mandatory visits around holidays. My Manager was horrible. Always promising to meet with store management about issues, but he never came through. I don’t think he ever left the house unless his Manager was in town.

Pay scale was horrible in my area. Nearby cities paid higher hourly wage, but our area got very low increases and started everyone very low with promise of better wage after a full year, but never happened.
Pros
Mostly flexible hours
Cons
Pay
Ok place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 25, 2019
Horrible mgr. Work environment was ok. Easy work . Although I inherited quite the mess because the girl who had my territory had been gone for a while and not completing the work that had been required...
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 23, 2019
Can be a fast paced employer during resets. You do have changeovers the day after the holiday. You have to service the store several times a week. Not a bad job if you enjoy stocking and servicing products.
no way
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2019
lowest pay for retail, very physical, work day after holiday and sometimes on holiday, no benefits or incentives. never know how many hours your working week by week. Loosing major accounts. Pay raise is about $4.00 a week. not even enough to buy lunch.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
pretty much everything
Not very good
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 18, 2019
Not a great company to work for, hours are absolutely a joke. If you want to get out of the house for a few hours then it would be ok, you certainly aren’t making any money working for this company with the little bit of hours they give you. The people they are hiring are the only one that might have applied for that area, not always the best individual for the job.
Pros
Can make your own schedule
Cons
Hours are a joke, pay is not that great, co-workers not willing to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

American Greetings Reviews by Location