American Greetings Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pretty decent company to work for
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DE 19703April 25, 2018
I worked as a Merchandising Associate for AG for a few months last year.

The work is easy enough, your assigned a couple/few stores that you go to to put out your product. You're not assigned specific hours, you can pick and choose when to work so long as the store is open, but you are only allocated a certain amount of hours per store per week, so being able to work by yourself and manage your time is a must.

I learned that unless you have your own car or otherwise don't rely on anyone for transportation, that this job is not for you.

Only real problem would be the amount of hours, unless you got a "big" store, or took on several small ones, you probably only get 10 hours a week.

My supervisor was fine, I only saw her so often.

Not much workplace culture, you work around the stores' employees more often than your own.

Hardest part of the job is just managing your time, making sure your staying around the allocated hours per week, and making all your calls. (Visits)

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the flexibility, it was nice being able to choose when to go to work.
Pros
Extremely flexible, easy work
Cons
Not enough hours
slow paced
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYApril 25, 2018
Though I was only weeks away from meeting my one year mark, still the pleasure was mine to work for a company like American Greetings, who only deepened my experience in learning and operating production equipment in a timely manner, heightened my quality control and data documenting, and also last but certainly not least furthered my communication and leadership abilities all around.
Good company to work for if you need a flexible schedule.
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCApril 22, 2018
I really enjoy the flexibility working with this company. Your activities and calls are posted each Sunday and you decide when and where you are going.
Pros
Make your own schedule.
Cons
Dealing with less than nice store managers/associates.
Good product and good coworkers
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 21, 2018
The other AG merchandisers I worked with had a variety of levels of experience. Those with several years with AG were very good to share their expertise and to be on revision teams all over the territory. I learned a lot, and met a lot of really good people. Some of those include the managers of the stores I worked in regularly.
A typical day at work included locating the merchandise that had been delivered and displaying the new product while keeping the store display cabinets looking neat and customer friendly. All freight at each location was updated as to delivery in a program that could be reviewed daily or as needed. I liked being able to schedule my work time around my personal activities. I also liked getting to know the stores and the mangers and working with them to maximize sales.
The hardest part of the job was having to come home and time report and send in a detailed weekly report (as training specialist.)
Pros
Flexibility in working hours
Cons
No perks, low pay
Encourages creativity
American Greetings Security (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHApril 21, 2018
A fun place to work. A typical day can include tours of the new building to various schools, groups.One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is working with such amazing coworkers.
No set hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 20, 2018
American Greetings is a nice place to work...you need
a lot of store's to get any hours..You work the day before every holiday and the day after every holiday..
Pros
Easy laid back job
Cons
No vacation or holiday pay.
They don't care about their workers
Mrrchandiser (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 18, 2018
I worked for AG for over 15 years!I enjoyed my job until they wanted me to pick up another store and I said that I couldn't being 65 and my husband wasn't in the best of health so they made me resign.
Pros
Flexable
Cons
Beware they don't care! No loyalty for their workers!
A great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 16, 2018
AG has a great culture of innovation. Pay is fair, benefits aren't top of the line, but they are competitive. Great managers, great actual building to work in. Inspiring leadership. Product focus...lots of good things about AG. Mostly, the people that are bred here are collaborative, nice, and overall 'in it together.' There are a great mix of young and people toward the end of their career so there are lots of opportunities to learn and move up. Can't really say enough about the place...
Benefits
great job if you dont need many hours
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  usApril 14, 2018
enjoy job, very flexible, great meeting different people,
work in many accounts so you are always on the move and doing different thing in each store. sometimes you have inventories from time to time which are very easy to do.
Pros
work independly
Cons
not many hours
Working at American Greetings (my experience)
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARApril 14, 2018
Average workplace.Work can be delayed due to old equipment. 8 hour workday and 20 minute break the entire work day Packaging & Orderfilling stressful.
Pros
Easy to get hired in
Cons
20 minute break for 8 hours work at one facility, 10 hour workday, 15 extra minutes after 8 hours

Want to know more about American Greetings?

Ask a question
Great co-workers
Merchandiser/customer service part time (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 13, 2018
I had a wonderful DM and my immediate supervisor was beyond compare. The hours fit my lifestyle. I enjoyed the confidence they had in me to allow me to work solo. There were expectations to be met in a time allotment which was sometimes hard to accomplish but if I needed help, all I had to do was ask for it.
It is runned like you are family
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCApril 11, 2018
They team has a monthly luncheon. They ask for your input. All around they are a good company to work for.
Very flexible schedules. Busy holiday schedules.
Must be able to work with a team, and by yourself. It is great for students. It is great for a second job.
Managrement are always available to answer questions. They have fairly good training as well.
The draw back id hours depend on available accounts.
Pros
flexable, mangers are helpful
Cons
hours
Poor pay for a lot of heavy work and bad hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  IAApril 11, 2018
In light of the fact that one basically manages an entire department, pay is barely above minimum wage. Required to work up to and the day after holidays, and often required to do split shifts or work the day of a holiday.

Boxes are heavy, lots of standing, stooping, bending, and walking, and paper cuts galore. Poor communication between stores and corporate, while AG is desperately trying to find a new niche in a dying industry.

On the plus side, you can schedule your work week around personal commitments, and if you have no friends or family, this job gives you something to do on holidays.
Pros
You can schedule your work week around personal commitments, and if you have no friends or family, this job gives you something to do on holidays.
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits, no employee discount, required holidays and weekends, paper cuts, heavy lifting, missing product, no managerial support because they’re overworked and trying to deal with job turnover.
Decent job for someone not wanting a regular 9-5 job
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 9, 2018
It's not a bad job, but it's not the best job for someone with persistent back problems. Seasonal times are when you get your best hours. Hours do slow down in the summer. Picking up revision projects can help with low allotted hours. You can work as little or as much as you want depending on what accounts are available. You have to work that out with our supervisor. Having autonomy and no micromanaging are probably my favorite elements of this job. I can go in whenever the store is open and work my time. Lack of consistent hours and no benefits are my biggest complaints.
Pros
Autonomy, very flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for part-timers; have to work several accounts(at least 5 or more, unless you work a Walmart or Target)to make a decent check
Office Clerk - Stock Control (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHApril 9, 2018
Was fun, rewarding, and interesting. Bosses would actually listen to your comments and suggestions. Product discounts were cool. Pay and vacation time was excellent.
Pros
great people
Cons
parking
a typical work day
MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  MissoursApril 8, 2018
some days its impossible to complete the amount of work thats need with so few hour in a weeks time. I wish the people that schedule the hours will take a tour to see with really done.
lack of good management ruined it for me
merchandiser (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 4, 2018
constant cutting of hours to get the job done. Scorecard compliance became more important than store being full and ready for the seasonal business. It was a great company for many years, but two bad supervisors in the last 3 years ruined the job for me. I loved the job and loved taking care of my store and customers at the peak holiday times.
Pros
work on your own, fast pace
Cons
no benefits, lack of hours to complete the job
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILApril 3, 2018
Straighten greeting cards and put the new order out for seven stores in different towns. Reorder greeting cards per store. Keep track of your time and mileage each day.
Pros
Work the days you want
good place to work
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYApril 1, 2018
Management not the greatest. Production pay needed to be competive with other factories in Bardstown KY. I wish I could have had more years their I tried applying back when they opened up and never received an interview unless you knew someone.
Fun work place with flexible hours.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Norco, CAMarch 30, 2018
This is a great place to work if you have children. You can work your own hours as long as you get your job does. It is rewarding when you finish a project.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight