American Greetings Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great company to work for.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 25, 2018
American Greetings is a great place to work. I have 7 stores that I am responsible for maintaining the card inventory, and organizing back stock. You have to be able to manage your time to get the job completed in the allowed amount of time.
Pros
Setting your own schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Job is ever changing and learning more every day
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIJanuary 25, 2018
Fast paced job. Organizational skills are a must, along with time management.

A typical day at work is straightening, filling, scanning shop-backs to their location.

Best part of the job is being able to assist customers find what they came for.

I've learned to be my own boss, while also making myself available to customers, no matter how much work i have to do in a particular store.
Pros
independent working
Cons
can change daily
Just a great place to work.
Director Global Supply/ HR (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 24, 2018
Knew what company was doing...understood my role in it...saw how my accomplishments linked to company objectives...enjoyed work environment...interacting with positive people...first truly progressive work environment I have experienced...a breath of fresh air.
Pros
Positive, challenging environment
productive and fun
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJanuary 24, 2018
The day started as this , you go and get all the materials your machine operator tells you to get for the job your going to begin to work on. then you do your work for the rest of the day. the hardest part of the day for me was right before lunch time because our lunch was the last lunch on 2nd shift which was at 8:10 at night.2nd shift started at 2:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m..To me management didn't seem to have there work planned out very well. The most enjoyable part of the day to me was after lunch to 10:30 because all we had to do was really cleanup our area.
Pros
1 free hour safety lunch every 3 months
Cons
healthcare to awful, and lunch break is only 20 mins all day.
American Greetings Memories Galore!
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Northern Arizona TerritoryJanuary 24, 2018
I loved working at American Greetings, there were constant challenges with seasonal products or changing hats as a merchandiser to sales or acting manager but either way I loved it!
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Seasonal Work
This job has its pros and cons.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2018
If you need a job that has flexible hours, then this job would work for you. The number of hours you get depends on how many stores you are willing to take up and do. Revisions are the most stressful part of the job, so if you don't like standing on your feet for too long, then you would not like this. However, my manager and supervisor were great. Another plus is the fact that you don't always have a supervisor looking over you on the job. You pretty much have the card department to yourself unless you are working with someone else.
Challenging work and can be physically demanding.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Commerce, TXJanuary 22, 2018
The job is great if you want flexible hours except around the holidays when certain work days are required. Physically demanding work lifting shipments and stocking product requires a lot of standing, stooping, reaching. Following plan-o-grams to display seasonal product is like working a very large puzzle. The job requires more time than allotted and employees are scored based on time spent and activities completed. Working with store management can be challenging to get required space for product. The job is great if you enjoy being active and can hustle.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Holidays are difficult when it comes to family / social life.
truck driver
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJanuary 19, 2018
Was hired to shuttle trailers around at the company. But I hand loaded trailers more than I drove the truck. Also was expected to do the work that other employees were not doing when they were required to do
Like I made my own schedule
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tennessee Colony, TXJanuary 19, 2018
Stopped paying for mileage out of town. Worked for 9 months , had 4 stores that was 45 minutes to 55 out of time . They decided not to pay for mileage
Awesome place other than layoffs
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ripley, TNJanuary 18, 2018
It is a good job to have, the only problem with it is stability. I am being laid off after years of service because lack work. The truth is greeting cards are a dying phase. If someone goes to work here do not plan on retiring from here in this day and age.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
layoffs, Seniority rules for layoffs
Laid back
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 18, 2018
When I work there it was a very laid back place not to busy other than Christmas but for the most part I loved the job not to many benefits but the job was awesome
decent place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, ILJanuary 16, 2018
The company is a good place to work but doesn't offer enough hours. You may only get 2 hours one week and that wasn't even worth my gas to drive to each day.
Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNJanuary 16, 2018
Seasonal job, but an outstanding place to work. Team and leadership was awesome. Was offered a full time position with this company but only after taking another job in another state. I needed to give this new job a try before giving a decision.
Used to be great
MS (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYJanuary 12, 2018
Used to be great pay, until the new contract brought the starting rate down. Otherwise horrible place. People are childish. Supervisors are more so than the employees. Supervisors are NOT intelligent at all, even upper management have no sense. A lot of favoritism is shown. Layoff rumors every winter during the slow season are predictable. Just poorly managed overall.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Absolutely nothing
Comfortable, relaxed environment but a dying business
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bardstown, KYJanuary 11, 2018
American Greetings has been a great place to work, a very comfortable and relaxed environment. However, the card business is a dying business and I don't expect that they'll keep all of their locations open for much longer.
Pros
Happy place to work
Cons
Downsizing
it is an ok work environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day at work would have me packing out greetings card and restocking the shelf. i learn the responsibility of working on my own and at my own pace. There is hardly anyone checking up on the work that you do. There is really no work culture. I really don't experience anything hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working at your own pace and the hours are flexible
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not work hours
Flexible Hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2018
The hours are flexible and I enjoy working with a variety of Management. The hardest part of being a part-time merchandiser is working around customers as a change-over takes place and still adhering to the scheduled hours allotted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no real cons apply
It was a great company to work for.
Territory Lead (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 4, 2018
It was unfortunate that they eliminated my position. Sometimes they would put to many responsibilities onto an individual that were higher in rank.
I would have liked to be promoted, but it is pretty political.
wonderful place to work
Office Clerk - Stock Control (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OH 44144January 2, 2018
American Greetings was a great place to work. I was 18 when I started there and didn't know what a good place it was. This is the one place I've left and regretted. Awesome employer.
Productive and fun work enviroment
TRS Supervisor/Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 29, 2017
Great company to work for if you are looking for part time work. Hours vary from week to week depending on the seasonal needs of the department. This is a job for men and women.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight