American Heart Association Employee Reviews

A great cause, but this affiliate office needs work
Development (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 23, 2019
This affiliate office has a great VP of the affiliate region, great managers and a dedicated, hard working support staff. The issue lies with a few department heads who have a complete disconnect with the people who work under them and this office has a high turn-over rate.

Support staff are expendable to this affiliate. They are the positions that get rotated the most. The environment is stressful when it shouldn’t be and there are a lot of unhappy people there.
Pros
Great immediate managers
Cons
Upper echelon of management needs a LOT of work
Mid-Management heavy
Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 20, 2019
Disappointed in my overall experience, though I manage to find others in the organization who believe doing their Best is better than just doing their job.

Levels of mid-management increasing has been bad for workers. There are unsupportive, silo-ed teams in many areas throughout the organization. And recent changes are creating lots of chaos. Seems apparent that mid-management does not trust the employees, leaving the majority of the staff feeling lackluster and contributing only the minimum to their roles. Only new staff seems to be "alive" with ideas. Though we are all encouraged to think out of the box, we are not empowered nor supported when we do so.

If you are a young person, and want to add this to your resumé and gain the experience of working for a large non-profit who operates like any large, cumbersome organization, come on. If you are looking for a place to contribute during your pre-retirement years, and have found your career fulfillment already, come on. If you are an employee who wants to be able to engage fully and grow and expand in your position, I don't recommend it, as your efforts will not gain you advancement nor additional pay.

Strong recommendation f you want to work here – ask for more than they offer at the beginning – because you won't see it in raises through the years.
Pros
Insurance plans, 401k contributions, paid time off, health-centric, mission-driven
Cons
mid-management; 20% doing 80% work; competitive atmosphere
Wonderful Place to work
Direct Mail Lockbox Processor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 20, 2019
If you get on with the right department it is a great place to work. AHA believes in diversity and everyone is treated as equal. I definitely would recommend it.
Fast paced, educational environment where you can make a impact!
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 14, 2019
This was a Internship, but the staff treats you like family and really helps you understand in a fast paced non-profit environment. A typical work day could include anything from getting auction items (physically or securing by phone), organizing for events, planning for events, reviewing grants, doing assessments in the community, providing education within the community and so much more! The staff si very conducive to learning and work collaboratively.
Best Job I ever had.
Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 12, 2019
If I could go back in time, I would go back to the first when I walked through the door and saw the blood bags. The concept of organizing events to ride around with hearts in the car, in thoroughly intoxicating to know I could have this effect on a human life.
Pros
Hearts
Cons
Not enough money
CRM projects were a blast
Senior Consultant / Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2019
Great working with the Management team and all of the Project Managers and Analysts. Typical day was running daily Scrums and daily reviews of the RAID logs with Stakeholders.
good place to work at as an intern/trainer
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  FLFebruary 27, 2019
cherish my time at the company and learned a lot as a student and will keep practicing
The instructor was patient in giving us turns to do the CPR and assisted us when we didnt get it right
Good Company
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  MNFebruary 23, 2019
My experience working here has been good. Enjoy the flexibility with my lifestyle. The pay at the place I am employed could be higher. Overall, I like the company
great upper management
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 21, 2019
everyone was very relaxed and nice to each other office was like a community. my supervisor was the nicest and most helpful boss i could ask for. the company is very accommodating of any needs u may have
Steer Clear
Director (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 19, 2019
If you don't mind not having any job security then you will be fine here. Otherwise stay away!! Management is full of bullies. This organization changes there path and vision every year. They will hire employees and then decide a year later that they don't need the position. If you are lucky enough to make it many years here they will see to it that you don't make it past 20 years service.
Schedule you down hours
First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAFebruary 7, 2019
Schedule your own hours. Easy to communicate. Love teaching skills to new or previous students. Great training facilities. Laid back environment. Great money .
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCFebruary 6, 2019
I really enjoyed volunteering with American Heart Association. I would volunteer at the different races or The Heart Walk Auction. They also offered CPR classes.
Great Mission, no job security
Regional Corporate Events Director - Fargo (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 25, 2019
Working at the American Heart Association was a roller coaster.I worked remotely overseeing small communities in the Dakota's and my bosses rarely traveled to my region. Communication was often so disconnected with the realities I was facing and the training's were geared towards large, urban cities with unlimited opportunities (I had fund-raised in these environments my entire career). My first year with the organization was filled with bi-weekly trips to Chicago for expensive, aggressive sales training sessions that were totally out of touch with the communities I was serving. The organization had just come off a great year so no expenses were spared, this all changed SIGNIFICANTLY in 2018. I was given my award of excellence via a slideshow presentation on a group conference call and was laid off months later despite producing a 170% fundraising increase within my first 9 months at the organization. Very disappointing, my time there was filled with pressure to produce, insecurity about my job and finally, a large scale layoff. Very unfortunate.
Pros
Fair pay, great mission
Cons
poorly run organization, aggressive sales tactics
Board Member
Board Member, Board Chair (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 20, 2019
Had a productive time applying my experience, knowledge and skills towards building resource capacity and implementing the mission of the AHA by serving as an executive leader, advocate and spokesperson publicly and within our center of influence. As the STEM Chair Person, I helped and leaded a successful team to build sponsorship to support the first STEM conference for the American Heart Association. Was elected as Board Chair-Elect for 2019-2020.
Fun, Learning Environment
CPR/BLS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 14, 2019
My time with the AHA was very educational and insightful. I learned how to also become a entepreneur in health care, how to administer CPR to victims and how to become a public contributor to society.
Pressure Cooker
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 9, 2019
Employees are seen as work horses and corporate does not follow the mission of healthy work/life balance. Employees are pushed for every ounce of energy and long hours
Pros
Great people
Cons
pressure cooker
Mission driven with great benefits and work/life balance
Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2019
The AHA provides great benefits to employees and encourages a strong work/life balance. Employers make efforts to match career interests with workload
CPR / Instructor
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Its a very positive feeling as Instructor giving your community life skills. When we finish training, most feel very committed to helping others. They feel empowered.
Welcoming and well known
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Everyone knows of the American Heart Association. When I volunteer for the American Heart Association it is amazing how much support you can receive. I highly recommend anyone to volunteer for them.
collaborative
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 1, 2019
Would work alongside side many different team members. Teamwork is key at AMA. Without collaboration nothing will get done. Relaxed environment but must stay on top of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Heart Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss