American Heart Association Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive, excellent work within the community
Fundraising/Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 13, 2018
American Heart has a great mission. However, it's a very stressful environment. On-boarding is a rigorous process and takes about eight months to complete. Training is schedule while you're in the process of working on other major project and fundraising task. There is no down time for administrative assistants you're are required to also be the auditor, accountant, budget analysis and acting social director
Pros
Great mission, fun events, flex time, helping others live health
Cons
12 hour days, cover other positions, training is overwhelming
Great Non-profit
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAAugust 13, 2018
The mission of the American Heart Association is building healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases. Every employee is motivated to lead a healthy life!
Pros
Flexible work environment
Cons
Year End financial goals... have to be met
Stressful environment but for a very good cause
Youth Market Director (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 2, 2018
Heart was a very long term career of mine. Like all other non profits goals are high and the reward is great! Would recommend to anyone. They are a great place to work.
Great mission
Director of Communications (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 31, 2018
Great mission, great volunteers.

While my position allows for a flexible schedule it isn't a uniform policy so not applied the same across the country.

Pay and benefits decent.
Pros
Mission, Volunteers, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Senior Management
Very intense high work volume environment
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 31, 2018
Ahead of the game technology when compared to other not for profits. Very high volume of work in all departments. Inclusiveness of employees when it comes to programs, events and activities of the association.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 31, 2018
I volunteered for Heart Walks and Heart Balls and assisted with donations, setting up venues, helping with data entry, assisting people, and helping promote the non profit company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Director, Quality Improvement Initiatives (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 28, 2018
I loved working for the AHA because I was able to provide support for improving quality in the healthcare setting. I enjoyed working with stroke and heart staff within the hospital settings. It was also a great benefit to work from home, when not traveling.
Pros
Making a difference in patient care
Cons
A culture where certain people are singled out for recognition
Productive and good place to work for with friendly staff.
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2018
I was really happy every day working for an association that thrives for healthy living and is aware of heart disease and strokes for all the American population.
Pros
Always friendly
Challenging yet fun
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 26, 2018
The job culture was very rewarding. My colleagues were pleasant and the mission of the Heart Association is a passion of mine. I am grateful for my experience there.
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Great work and life balance environment. The work is very challenging and exciting. The best part of the job is working with stakeholders and the public. A typical work day is from 9 - 5 PM.
Pros
Work and life balance
Cons
No potential for growth
This is not applicable
CPR certified (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 10, 2018
I am certified in CPR from American Red Cross. However Indeed does not recognize this. I did not work for the American Red Cross. Indeed is requiring me to type 150 characters minimum...
Great opportunity to learn non profit
development (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 9, 2018
Tough environment, high stress. Great mission and volunteers. Internal politics gets in the way of successful outcomes. Treat staff as if they are a number.
I did not work with this company
Independent BLS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAJuly 7, 2018
I did not work for this company, just educational purposes. I can provide information for a company that provided different services as indicated. This review would not apply to me.
So
Basic Life Instructor Certification (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 2, 2018
This is a certificate I have to teach cpr. The AHA has certain things to abide by but they aren’t breathing down your neck so you’re pretty much self employed. you work when you want and when you don’t want to work you don’t work. You have to be a self starter to go around teaching cpr to people.
Relaxed environment, friendly co-workers
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 29, 2018
I was an intern at the American Heart Association. During my time there, it was clear the office operates as a family, more so than simply co-workers. it was a small office so everyone was fairly close. A more relaxed environment as far as goals and day-to-day work was concerned.
About place
Community Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 27, 2018
American heart association is the biggest association in united states of america.I gained so much knowledge about heath campigning and evaluation and public health.
Pros
Good lunch time
Cons
Its in new york city
Great people to work with, didicated to the mission
Youth Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 26, 2018
I worked here over 15 years ago so detailed memories have faded. The mission is important and the people were great. That said, the mission lives on but the people I worked with are no longer there.
Quality of environment depends on the area
Senior Manager Donor Marketing Products (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2018
Some people are in departments led by great leaders and have amazing recognition, opportunities for advancement and good work/life balance. You feel good doing work that is saving people's lives and giving them better health.

However, you will be asked to do very much with very little and it is expected that you are always available. Raises are dismal for the staff unless you have a bonus program. Organization is very top heavy and they make 3x as much as everyone else. If you come in at Director Level or above, you can make a decent living, but will work all the time. If you come in at Manager level or below, you are underpaid, but have reasonable hours.
Mission-focused organization with strong focus on revenue and health impact.
National Market Development Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 20, 2018
Highly recommend the AHA. An organization with a strong strategic impact goal, intelligent and motivated employees and a culture of accountability and success.
great place to work
Youth Market Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 19, 2018
i loved my time at the AHA! furthering the mission of preventing heart disease and stroke among americans, is something i am very passionate about.
goals are very important here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Heart Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss