American Home Shield Employee Reviews

Job Readiness
Authorization Representative- Remote (Former Employee) –  Memphis TennesseeAugust 10, 2018
My day consisted of resolving problems the first time and do it right. Ive leaned how to make the right decisions and my management skills was making decision I was a remote representative I was not micro managed I had to make the right decisions. The hardest part of my job is not being able to fix the problem and I went above and beyond to get the job done. The most enjoyable part was making tke right decision and making the customer happy I could sleeep every night when resolving the problem
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
HealthCare was very expensive
They are always hiring
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAAugust 6, 2018
They're always hiring because they can't keep anyone in the door. You're required to take a certain amount of calls each day and on majority of those calls, you're having to deal with extremely irate customers. Biggest issue with AHS is they hire the cheapest technicians they can find, who don't know what they are doing in these people's homes. So all day long, you're getting cursed out about AHS policies and technicians. Summer time there is AWFUL! At any given time, there can be anywhere from 500-2000 calls in queue. Meaning, customers are waiting 1-2 hours, on hold, to speak with someone. This time of year, a lot if people are having a/c issues but you're not allowed to expedite someone's work order until the temps are 105 or higher. Smh!! They have all kinds of shady business practices and you will be thoroughly cursed out about them. ALL DAY, EVERYDAY! Pay is decent, but what are willing to do for your money? They're robbing their customers... If you're good at, and enjoy finessing people, then this is perfect for you.
Pros
Decent pay, paid weekly
Cons
Overworked, benefits are expensive, strict attendance policy, short breaks, customers curse you out all day, management will not take an escalated call
Can be great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 2, 2018
Management isnt the best depending on what department you end up in. Coworkers are very nice make you want to stay at the job, pay is fair and weekly.
na
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2018
Not a good place to work too much politics and too many details that change as management chooses. If you like customers yelling at you for work not being done by underpaid contractors then this is the job for you.
You are never not being monitored.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 16, 2018
The worst job I’ve ever had. You spend a lot of time trying to fix problems that homeowners have had with repairs that have either never been completed or shoddy work has been performed. Managers mostly try to avoid taking any escalated calls. All calls are monitored and if your not back on the phone quick enough they want to know why. You are expected to take a high volume of calls in a shift and no account is taken for lengthy calls. I saw a lot of people come and go while I was there. This company is more about quantity of calls over quality service given which means you will get cussed out on the regular over things far beyond your control. If your just needing a job to pay the bills then this is good for the immediate but continue looking for something better.
Pros
Okay pay for entry level job
Cons
Quantity over quality customer service.
Stressful work environment
Customer Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 15, 2018
Ahs is a very unethical company.They are dishonest with their customers and employees.They encourage employees to be dishonest. If you have any morals- do not work here!
Pros
Health benefits 401K
Cons
Dishonest, Unethical, unfair practices.
Not for the faint of heart
Authorizer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2018
AHS is customer oriented and dedicated to empathy for their customers; however, many of the customer contract provisions are not well received by customers. As such, many of the customer phone calls received for AHS are not pleasant. The company does not prepare you for some of the instances you may encounter. However, if you have a tough skin and can still provide quality customer service, then you may enjoy your time here.
fun place
Authorization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 16, 2018
AHS is a great place to work, they believe in you and your career advancement. They give you everything that you need to be successful the rest is up to you
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Great place
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 30, 2018
Great company loved working there. Great people loving and caring. If you love ot is there for you. The work are morning and evening hours. Latest is 3 to midnight
AHS Rocks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNMay 30, 2018
I just left this company in March due to husband job relocated to DC. I loved this job and sure hated to move. I started in customer service, then moved to autho (where were spoke to tech to approve or decline claim, then to retention where we try to keep the customer from cancelling. Loved it
Management is horrible
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2018
This company does not care about their employees, makes you work every weekend, mandatory overtime, horrible hours, low pay for customer service where you are the main one doing everything, terrible call volume. This is a bandaid company so you get angry customers all the time because they don’t actually fix anything.
Customer Service Associated (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 16, 2018
Call volume very busy
no bonuses
raises weren't given, management treated service as if we were low class employee
did not schedule, Pay was not good
Average workplace
Telesales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 15, 2018
It was your average call center. There wasnt enough opportunity to be promoted. It was a constant change going on daily. The job became very stressful.
I never worked for a better company
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 9, 2018
The pay is better than any other job in the area including manufacturing plants, the company understands that even after training everything is still a learning experience virtually the only way you get fired is poor attendance (which they give 10 hours ATO for training and your first 90 days and after 30 days you accumulate sick time 4 hours the first of every month and after 4 months you accumulate personal and vacation hours) or to repeat the same mistake you had been corrected on multiple times after coaching on subject. Everyone is so nice and always extend a helping hand if you need assistance with a troublesome issue. There are a couple of associates that are rather rude when you try to transfer, but they are very far and few in between all the associates and supervisors that do help you. My supervisor is great and I'm able to contact her directly with any issues I may not be able to resolve on my own. I'm moving to a different department right around my 90th day so the fact that I can quickly move within the company is the biggest reason I embrace this job with excitement.
Pros
Great pay for area, move up quickly, everyone's very friendly and helpful, and not waiting a whole year for vacation time
Cons
It is customer service so you will have to talk to irate people, benefits don't kick in until a few weeks after first 90 days
Great Environment and Better Schedules than in the Past
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 3, 2018
I loved working at AHS in Lagrange training was great not too hard and you receive the general information needed for the position. Everyone and when I say everyone I mean managers, supervisors, co-workers, and even the cleaning staff are all friendly and if you ever have any issues managers & supervisors esp let you know that they are their to help you. AHS doesn't do mandatory overtime anymore which I miss the money, but scheduling has been a lot better and you're always ensured two days off a week. Customer service rotates weekends so you'll always know which weekend you have off to schedule family activities or any other plans. I would still be there today if it wasn't for my husband relocating for his career, but I know if he relocates again to a town with an AHS call center I would go right back without hesitation.
Pros
Everyone's helpful & wants you to succeed, Vacation & personal time accrued before 1 year in position, no more mandatory overtime
Cons
Shift push that changes your regular schedule but you can always opt out of taking the push, nothing else really maybe breaks could be longer
Fast paced but good company to work at
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 3, 2018
AHS is a fast paced company to work for but they're many different opportunists, I starts in CS with a late shift only worked it for a month and went to an another schedule then shortly after that I got offered another earlier schedule. To have only been with the company for a short time I am already starting a new job in a different department.
It is a fast paced company and there is a lot of different things to be learned but there are so many people to help you along the way. All of my supervisors have been amazing and know that this job is a learning process. They work with you to find out your best abilities and us them to help you get to where you need to be. Yes the homeowners calling in can be a lot to deal with and that could make your day bad or stressful but every job has a down side, and for me that is the only downside to working at AHS.
Pros
good starting pay, different departments to work in, paid leave, health care benefits
Cons
difficult customers, fast paced
Excellent place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 1, 2018
If you are willing to learn, can be at work on time, be responsible for the decisions you make and follow the rules, this is a GREAT place to work. I have been with the company over 5 years now. Plenty of chances to move up, make more money and provide for family. If something in your home breaks, you would be mad too and want it fixed right away. Understanding this is makes the job easier and successful at this job. People coming into the company now receive 3 levels of training to ensure you receive the highest quality of training available. I have worked in other call centers and each call center has strict compliance with punctuality, attendance and policy adherence. AHS is no different. Many get fired for not managing their PTO and sick time. So when emergencies happen, you can get points against you. AHS is a fun place to work. Lots of perks and 3-weeks vacation after 5 years of service!
Pros
Nice facility, great location
Cons
Summers are busy, healthcare expensive, no first shift positions available
Seems Like a company you can grow with
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 29, 2018
Great company. Management enthusiastic, resourceful and very helpful. The distance from my home to the job site is really far. However, I would advise anyone who lives near job to sign up.
Stressful
Real Estate Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAApril 27, 2018
This company was a very stressful and extremely competitive company to work for. They are very result oriented and will go to any lengths to get the results they feel will get them to the next level.
Stressful
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 26, 2018
Customers typically are on hold for much longer than 15 minutes and complaining that their issues are not being resolved. Customers typically state that they are tired of fighting with AHS and contractors to fix problems in their homes. A lot feel that AHS makes them stay on hold to make them so exasperated that they will give up or hang up. The best part of this job is the money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Home Shield. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.5InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight