American Income Life

American Income Life insights

Based on 1,078 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

commision based only

you need money to start out not a job to do if you are looking for a steady paycheck very unreliable. Very pushy even though you make your own hours. They are very misleading in the ads to get you to the interview and they do the same to clients. Lie your way to get in the door.

Pros

make your own hours

Cons

unstable income

March 1, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management hiring, training or management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled in any way. We're always looking for ways to improve our agent experience and listening to former team members is a good way to help make the process better. Best of luck to you in the future.

Fun place to work

Sales development is very good, no such thing as work life balance here. Overall if you’d like a place where you can learn sales this is a good place to start; it’ll give you a great boost in that field.

Great advancement opportunities, requires motivation and hard work

You get what you put into it if you learn any train and you take the time outside of work to put in the effort then you will succeed but it does take motivation and a hustle mentality to succeed in this position and the work life balance can be not the best. Very good management and support system

Pros

Great advancement opportunities Great financial opportunities Good management

Cons

Work/life balance

January 18, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. This agent position is hard work and does require an individual that is self-motivated and dedicated to our team and customers. But as you know, with that commitment in place, this AIL career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally. We’re very happy to have you on our team and appreciate your role in helping us provide financial protection to our customers.

Not easy

Definitely a numbers game and a bit of luck. Gotta be good at sales and willing to improve your skills daily while keeping your mindset positive after bad appointments, days, or weeks without making a sale

Pros

Free leads

Cons

Always on zoom. Work more hours than get paid for if you haven’t made a sale in a while

January 18, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We're glad you appreciate the opportunity to make a generous living but disappointed there are aspects that aren't meeting your expectations. AIL is always looking for ways to help our agents succeed in their careers and feedback from you can help us improve the path to success. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to AIL and our customers.

Sales job, that anyone can do. they will hire anyone

Horrible work life balance. If you love sales, and don't mind cold calling this is a great job for you. But if those things do not apply to you, do not apply.

January 12, 2022
Thank you for your feedback and for your contributions to our team. This agent position does require a self-motivated, persistent, and sales-minded individual to succeed and isn't for everyone. With the right person, this career can be incredibly rewarding financially and professionally. We wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

The support that you get from you upline. Yes you can balance your time.

The schedule is flexible, my manager is my mentor. The most enjoyable is working with all types of people. The hardest not getting responses from your clients.

Pros

The people and you get to develop good friendship.

Cons

Need updated leads.

January 12, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the entrepreneurial aspect of this position and the generous income that is available with persistence and hard work. Having a strong support system for our Agents is very important to us and we're glad you're benefiting. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career!

AIG is an alright place to work. However, there is a lot of double and tripple calling. It is a numbers game. They tell you there isn't any cold calling, which is true. However, it is more of a batch and switch calling. They get their leads by offering free items. However, most people you call don't read the fine print which says they have to go through a sales presentation to receive the free times. Most leads decide they don't want to do the sales presentation to get the free items.

Pros

Flexible hours, very supportive, good scripts already created for you.

Cons

To much double and triple calling, It is a numbers game.

January 12, 2022
This is the AIL page, American Income Life. You might have written this review on the wrong page. You mentioned AIG in your review.

Scummy company! Takes advantage of vulnerable and elderly. 0 work life balance, in office 20 hour's in field 40.

Don't do it! Dont waste your time, money or energy! Dirty business practice and atmosphere. Had me working an area over 3 hours from my home. Leaders have no moral values.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

No work life balance if you have a family especially, shameful practices taught by management, lots of cold calling, lots of lies.

January 11, 2022
We're very sorry to learn of your experience with AIL and invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look into your situation. The experience you described is not acceptable and not indicative of the way we do business at AIL. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Lots of other companies to choice from.

This company is awful. They want you making phone calls all day. leads are all cold and all leads have been called 10-15 times previously before you called. Micromanaging company that offers no real training. Managers are arrogant and only care about how much you can make them. Do yourself a favor and check out other companies because this one is terrible.

Cons

Arrogance throughout management

January 11, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We invite you to send us more agency details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Bait-and-switch sales. Sheer dishonesty, you will feel guilty always. On zoom with management your entire shift.

You call "leads" literally 10 times each, often until 9pm. The leads asked for information about "child safety kits" or a union benefit, *not* about the insurance you harass them about. The entire pitch is pure bait-and-switch; you don't even bring up insurance until you have terrified them of having their child kidnapped or something similar. There were many people on my team who had made $0 after several months, no joke. You spend the entire shift on a zoom call with your team and bosses despite being an independent contractor and making $0 per hour.Just run.

Pros

They'll hire you

Cons

Everything else

January 11, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that your time with AIL didn't meet your expectations. The experience you're describing does not represent our AIL hiring or training style and we are sorry to learn of your situation. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into this situation.

please please please look into this company before getting sucked into this.

A typical day at work was working 10-12 hours a day weekends off . If you didn't make your goal sales for the week you will have to work 6-7 days just to see if you can get a sale. so be prepared to not have a life. You have to attend these mandatory meetings everyday mon-fri. You are given leads that are for free and unfortunately low quality , you need to pester all day. Literally calling 8 times a day, 2-3 texts and leave voicemails. So there approach is very scammish and no morals. Half of the time people wont believe you when you say who you are regardless of how you go about it and they will block you. You work until 9pm which to me is so weird to be calling people until that time and very inappropriate. You call leads that are union, people that want the mcgruff kits and the free will kit. There strategy is to bait and switch the client making them think its for the thing they signed up for and switch it to get them to buy life insurance. You work from home which is the only good thing about this job but they micromanage so hard. Management is low quality as well. They only think about themselves and there money. The workplace culture is very brainwashy. they will try to convince you that what you are doing is "helping families" but that is not the case if you have to pester these people all day. All in all my experience here has been nothing but negative from the get go. Its commission only, no real breaks , they do charge backs if the client cancels on you, no real training. You train on this program they built and than throw you into the field. You need to have a -

Pros

remote job

Cons

short breaks, no healthcare, Commission only, no minimum wage, bad management, long hours, long work week, bad mental stress environment

January 10, 2022
Thank you for your feedback and for your service to our AIL team and customers. We're always looking for ways to improve the agent experience and the review of your time with us will help us do just that. We invite you to send us an email with more agency details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

The management team I have is AMAZING! There are not enough words to describe how wonderful they are!

Great company, some days it's overwhelming but overall I love working here!! Wonderful staff, feels like family now. We have monthly meetings and it honestly does feel like a huge family!

Pros

Was a "job", now a career!

January 10, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide our Agents with the ability to have a successful career in a positive work environment and we're happy you're enjoying it. As you know, this career can be extremely productive both financially and personally with hard work and dedication. Best wishes for a long future of success at AIL.

Horrible place to work- Avoid at all costs!

This place is not a good place to work. They make false promises and nothing comes through. It is 100% commission based, but a lot of that commission is taken away early in the job due to clients cancelling plans, lack of personal recruitment, etc. If you do not meet a minimum amount of sales (which is extremely high), they threaten to fire you. I have worked there 6 months and have never made more than $1000 per month. There is no leadership and those that are there are much too overworked to be able to train or help. I work 10 hour days and bring hope virtually nothing. Do not work for this company.

Pros

Make your own hours

January 3, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so we can look further into your experience.

Fun workplace, but only for those without a family

I loved the job and the people I worked with. I put in roughly 70-80 hours a week most weeks, but you couldn't tell that by looking at my bank account

January 3, 2022

Shark Hunt! Must be good and phone calls.

YOU MUST BE GOOD AT HUNTING PEOPLE!!!!NO morals what so ever, just sell those life policies and then berate them if they try to get out of it. Must make a policy every showing or there will be no paychecks what so ever.Literally, what you write in policies is what you get paid, there is no base pay what so ever!!! DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE NO MORALS AND WILL RAKE PEOPLE OVER THE COALS FOR MONEY!

Pros

make your own schedule

Cons

Phone calls, phone calls, phone calls. plus make schedules and if you can't get the policy in one go, no sale.

January 3, 2022

Have savings before you jump on board

New Agent training was great, but they tell you you'll be earning by week 2. 4 weeks in and we were all still training. They strongly encourage you to recruit by week 2 and this would be because all of the new recruits earn all of the money for the higher level managers. New recruits earn 50% contract, while their manager's earn 130% to tell the new recruits they don't care enough about their family if they aren't working 14 hour days. I can't sell what I can't stand behind.

Pros

New Agent training was good

Cons

No income for quite a few weeks, little guys earn all of the money for the managers.

Just terrible.

Honestly, this just wasn’t for me. The only way it seemed like I’d make it here was if I was working 24/7. No base pay, it’s all commission. They made it seem so easy. It wasn’t. I was in constant anxiety, basically cold-calling people when they said our clients are warm leads. Just not good. I lasted like 3 months before I quit. And you HAVE to produce a certain Amalie to maintain your contract. There were a lot of “rules” that I wasn’t informed about until I put myself in debt for this job. I’m now working my way out of $1500 in credit debt and I’ll never forget the days and nights I spent crying of this job.

December 13, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. We apologize if you felt you were misled in any way during the hiring process. This position does require a persistent, sales-minded individual and isn't for everyone. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so we can look further into your experience. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Life Insurance Agent

A lot of work hours but freedom to take breaks when needed. Had to work a lot in order to produce a decent commission. We were also 1099 employees but yet were expected to show up at the office if we were not performing well.

December 8, 2021

Horrible! No training! No communication!

Terrible place to work. They want you on zoom all day calling people 30 times a day. They don’t even train you properly and you have no idea what it is you are even selling to customers.

Pros

Cons

Everything, poor managers, poor training, forced to work with no pay

December 6, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry your experience was less than you expected. Every AIL agent is a valued part of the team and our leadership is invested in each agent’s success, personal development, and career growth. The situation you described does not reflect our AIL management style and we apologize that this was your experience. We invite you to send us more agency details to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can address this situation and prevent this type of experience from happening again.

Busy environment with very good work-life balance

There is a plenty of work to keep you and your co-workers busy. Management in most departments are very flexible if you need to take PTO for illness or emergencies. The company is open to suggestions for volunteering and have several community support programs that they get excited about.

Pros

PTO flexibility, good work-life balance

Cons

Healthcare benefits are expensive

November 30, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your time with AIL. Work-life balance and a flexible work environment are benefits we value and we're happy your experience reflected this. We appreciate the time you spent as a member of our team and wish you all the best in your future career path.

Not for everyone

You only get paid based on what you sell. There is no salary or hourly pay.You need to get a license which they give you a discount for the course but most of the expenses come out of pocket.The company provides training (not-paid), and leads. However, the leads overlap amongst agents in different forms so they teach you to focus on referrals.

Pros

Growth Opportunity

Cons

Hires people just for numbers not really to look out for you, even though that's what they say they are doing.

November 29, 2021

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight