American Income Life

United States4,080 reviews

Found 4,080 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,444 reviews
commissionincomeagentinsuranceamericanleadappointmentsale

commision based only

you need money to start out not a job to do if you are looking for a steady paycheck very unreliable. Very pushy even though you make your own hours. They are very misleading in the ads to get you to the interview and they do the same to clients. Lie your way to get in the door.

Pros

make your own hours

Cons

unstable income

March 1, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management hiring, training or management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled in any way. We're always looking for ways to improve our agent experience and listening to former team members is a good way to help make the process better. Best of luck to you in the future.

Half truths

They tell you it is a job where you work 4-9pm but they fail to tell you you will have mandatory meeting, workshops and leads up to 2+ hours away. Most days are 12 hrs long and you only get paid commission. Can be taxing on both your car and health

Pros

Don’t have to clock in, quick pay, meeting new people

Cons

Unstable, manipulative, pushy sales

American Income Life insights

Based on 1,513 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Okay work environment

I think my main complaint would have to be with the leads given to us. We were told we would be calling people who were specifically requesting our services but it turned out a lot of the people signed up for a free service and didn’t know that Life insurance was going to be discussed

It is more of a get rich pyramid

This is a scam. The only objective is to go into homes and manipulate people into thinking this is special insurance. You learn a script and managers get rich off all the people that buy into it at first.

Basically a call center

I may as well have been working in a call center, except I didn’t get paid a living wage… It was a good work experience, but unfortunately poor compensation.

January 23, 2023
Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed our positive work environment but disappointed our agent position didn't completely meet your expectations. This position does require a persistent, sales-minded individual in order to succeed and is not for everyone. It can be a very rewarding career both financially and personally for the right individual. We wish you all the best in the future.

Great culture!

Great culture. The management team is exceptional. You can earn a lot of money working here. You set your own schedule. Your pay is really determined by how much you work.

Pros

Set your own schedule and pay

Cons

work life balance is tough to achieve here

January 23, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the supportive culture, flexible schedule, and the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families. This career can be tough in the beginning but with a persistent work ethic, it can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes for a long future of success at AIL.

What is the best part of working at the company?Some of the other reps were really nice to work with and very inclusive. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The most stressful part was finding out after being hired that it was not salary plus commission like they had told me in the interview and it was, in fact, 100% commission. They never let us work from home like they said we could and they expected us in the office Monday thru Sunday from 9am-9pm regardless of whether we had appointments or not. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It was very stressful. With no guaranteed income and being required to be in office every day for 12 hours a day and sometimes more, it made things very hard. There was no work-life balance.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Arrive by 8:30-9:00am, get your software set up then start cold calling “leads”. About 90% of the people we were calling said they had never signed up for anything we called them about and would get extremely irate with us. When you did finally book an appointment, the people would either not show up, or they would show up and say, “I’m not buying anything but go ahead and do your presentation so you get paid for it” but the jokes on you because you aren’t getting paid to go over their free benefits. Nor are you getting paid to show them the kind of life coverage they are qualified for. The whole job is a scam. In the slight chance that you do make a sell, you only get to keep the commission you made on that sell IF and only if the buyer doesn’t cancel -

January 23, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled during the interview process. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so we can look further into your experience.

Good work culture, bad income opportunities

I seen very few agents making a lot of sales. How can a new agent make money if experienced agents aren’t? Felt left in the dark during training. I felt like just another “number”. Your leader will write one piece of business to get you coded and will promise more money while you’re in training but then you won’t see another check. They say the leader won’t write a lot of business on your because they’re giving away their own money which is true in a sense but the real reason is because the trainer isn’t able to write much business their selves even. Very discouraging as a new agent to see an experienced agent getting no checks for weeks. I did love my trainer as a person though. We got along great and she was an amazing individual! I consider her a friend now. I think she wasn’t trained properly to be able to train others and honestly I think she would excel and thrive in a different company.

Pros

Lots of encouragement, free leads

Cons

Limited to sell only their policy. Unorganized training. leads led to no sales.

January 23, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We invite you to send us your agency location and any other details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

A rewarding work from home career

A typical day consists of reaching out to people who have requested services from us and scheduling a zoom meeting to get them the benefits they have requested. I am a licensed Life and Health insurance agent, so I help families have something in place to help when they or a loved one dies.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Commission based only and people could cancel their policies, so that effects your pay

January 23, 2023
Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work and dedication to AIL. Providing our agents with the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families in the community is our goal. As you know, with a strong work ethic and supportive management this career can be very rewarding. Best wishes for a long future of success with AIL.

Great Place to work

If you're a hard worker and diligent you will be great for this company. The best thing is the freedom you have working for them, and.the residuals are amazing if you can work 3 or more years. Succeeding with this company is.best with your own referrals.

January 18, 2023
Thank you for your feedback and for your contributions to our AIL team. We're glad you enjoyed the supportive culture, and the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families. Best wishes to you in your future endeavors!

Restrictive and abusive

I absolutely hated this company and I hated working for them. They don’t value work life balance in the slightest. Lot of hours for little payout, and

Best change of my life

While this job isn't at all what i expected, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm glad I didn't get scared off by the bad reviews. This is the type of job where if you want to succeed then you need to put in the effort but once you do it's very rewarding. Everyone has an equal opportunity for advancing and honestly I see myself staying here for the rest of my career.

Pros

Great work environment, work from home, thorough training

January 18, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the virtual aspect of this position, the thorough training, and the opportunity that our agent position can produce with hard work and dedication. We love seeing the success that is possible in this rewarding career and hope you enjoy a long and successful career with AIL!

Overall experience

I was lied to through out the entire application process , I was told that this position provides paid training and that you have a set weekly pay .After 1 week on the job working 12 hour shifts mon -fri , it was said to me indirectly that the position is 100% commission ,which I asked about in both interviews.Given the information provided , I quit my regular 9-5 job and started with this company now I’m downing in debt and working other jobs trying to catch up . DO NOT APPLY HERE UNLESS U HAVE MONEY SAVED UP TO SUPPORT YOURSELF!

January 12, 2023
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. While we're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to AIL, we're sorry if you were misled in any way during the hiring process. So that we can look further into your situation and take the necessary steps to improve this important process we invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with the agency name and location so that we can address this unacceptable situation. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

What is the best part of working at the company?I like helping people and get into the house of their dreams. I like touring and marketing people's homesWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Putting in countless hours to make your success is in reach What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very open and independent environment What is a typical day like for you at the company?working with buyers and sellers

January 10, 2023
We appreciate your feedback. However, we don't buy or sell homes at AIL. American Income Life is an insurance company.

Study, test, become licensed.

Once you are hired, you must use the study material/coursework to become familiar with state requirements, insurance sales requirements, and test to become licensed. Two weeks of paid classroom training requiring you to download coursework onto your personal laptop. Your personal computer is your office, manual, and documentation. You will provide clients with insurance knowledge, rates, and information truly needed. Helping the client see the need, finding the funds, and to commit this line item to their budget is sometimes hard. Weekly on-site group meetings help each agent remain motivated. Paperwork is turned in, extra copies obtained, and group competitions with celebrations are frequent. I don't recommend AIL as an only source of income until you are at least six months to one year in. Underwriting can change rates that were originally quoted leaving the agent looking dishonest or lacking in accuracy. Once medical records are obtained, swabs to confirm smokers/non-smokers, and factual height/weight noted can increase rates. Life/Accident Insurance Sales can be a great career but many start out strong and fall off. Each policy written benefits the Agency, therefore management is always doing well with bonuses. Career Agents need a second source of income until they get on solid ground in this career.

Pros

Flexible schedule, training, and group meetings.

Cons

Need second income for at least six months, self-employed/taxed, and meeting in clients personal residence.

January 11, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you recognize the financial and personal opportunity we offer our Agents. This position can be tough at first, but with hard work, persistence, and dedication it can be very rewarding both financially and personally. We're sorry it didn’t work out long-term but we thank you for your contributions to our AIL team. Best wishes to you in the future.

Worst job I ever had

Needed job after my company closed due to COVID. This seemed like a viable option - initially. Told training would be paid. Was not. Everything out-of-pocket. No benefits. They expect you to make 1000 calls a week with terrible leads that could be 7 years old and to KEEP calling for 8-9 times. In over 4 months, never made a dime.

Pros

I got out!

Cons

See above

January 9, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so we can look further into your experience.

Pay is low

This job was medicore. The pay was based on commission and so if you didn't sell anything you wouldn't receive any pay. The job could be better if they would move you into a salary position so you would be guaranteed a fixed income.

January 9, 2023
Thank you for your review. We're disappointed our agent position didn't meet your expectations. This position does require a persistent, sales-minded individual in order to succeed and is not for everyone. It can be a very rewarding career both financially and personally for the right individual. We wish you all the best in the future.

Not what they tell you

They tell you they will help you with training, they do. They tell you they believe you can get the people, they dont help you. They tell you make calls for money. They today to one another about how much they just made. It's only about the money with them. Nothing else. They don't help you succeed. I was told training was paid. It's not. I was told someone will be there to help you, only for 1 week. After that you are on your own. They want you making COLD calls from 8 am to 10 pm, Sunday thru Saturday. And half the time you only get people who yell at you or no one answers. Oh and they get their leads from people filling out senseless surveys. Most people I talked to said they filled out a survey online that never hinted at sunshine calling them.

Pros

Nothing!! Run away!!

Cons

No life

January 9, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support or were misled during the interview process. We invite you to send us your agency location and any other details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Great job, self discipline required

It is a great position for those with an entrepreneurial mindset. You are in full control over your paycheck. If you can stick the rough early stages it is a fruitful position

January 5, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the entrepreneurial aspect of this position and the generous income that is available with persistence and hard work. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career!

It's a great job for a HIGHLY motivated person willing to live and breath the job.

If you want to become a millionaire this is a place you can do that. However, you're going to have to put in 65+ hours a week to do that. It's hard to make money the first couple months so have a few grand saved up before trying. Unfortunately I have a daughter on my own so it's been very tough for me to balance that and still try to be successful.

Pros

opportunity unlimited

Cons

no life

January 5, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the opportunity to make a generous income that correlates with the amount of hard work and effort you put in. As you know, this career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally with a strong and dedicated work ethic. Best wishes for a long future of success with AIL.

Financial Freedom

Amazing company great culture great benefits and even better pay. If you are looking for a way to financial freedom without being capped to a certain income this is the place. Competitive atmosphere that brings the best out in people.

January 4, 2023
Thank you for your insightful review of our AIL opportunity. We appreciate the leadership you provide our team members. As you know, everyone at AIL is a valued part of the family and our leadership with your help is invested in each individual's success, personal development, and career growth. Best wishes for even more success in the future!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight