American Income Life

American Income Life insights

Based on 1,043 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Must be able to worklong time without pay.

There are many chiefs in this office that try to help manage the work load but still seems out of order. Being on Zoom constantly I feel is not necessary because it cuts into time and the privacy of most agents. A waste of time to where we could be working leads instead of digital office strolling.

Pros

Potentially can make a good living.

Cons

No pay for them consuming your time outside of sales.

You work for yourself under the company umbrella. You get out of it what you put into it. If you want to make money, you have to put in the work to get it.

Pros

You can work as much as you want at your own pace.

Cons

N/a

July 14, 2021
Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work and dedication to AIL. We're glad you're enjoying the entrepreneurial aspect of this opportunity. And you are right, in this career you do typically get out of it what you put in. Best wishes to for many years of success at AIL.

Scam

The job is a scam. They promise paid training and offer flashy earning potential, but they encourage you to lie to customers to get in their homes. You sell life insurance but you’re not allowed to tell customers that you sell life insurance.

Pros

Cons

No pay, long hours

Gotta sell sell sell

This place typically will hire anyone because you are at no risk to your company. The leads provided are not warm leads. Must be able to handle rejection and it took some time for my insuance license to be issued and certified.

Pros

remote work

Cons

long long hours, unknown pay, no base

September 28, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. This agent position is hard work and does require an individual that is self-motivated, sales minded and dedicated to our team and customers. But as you know, with that commitment in place, this AIL career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally. We’re very happy to have you on our team and appreciate your role in helping us provide financial protection to our customers.

Not the best place

Wouldn't recommend working there. You end up trying to sell insurance to people who don't want anything to do with it because initially you offer them "free benefits." I was told I would get paid a specific amount for the training but did not receive a dime from the amount I was told. I didn't hate the experience, as it is a learning curve, but I did not want to stay there.

September 23, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. This career can be a rewarding experience with hard work and dedication but isn't a perfect fit for everyone. Your situation is not indicative of our hiring style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into your experience.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Great people, must be a strong salesperson

The people I worked with are great. The job really wasn’t for me. I also started at the very beginning of this pandemic with how everything timed out, the original opportunity I had signed up for May have suited me better. Lots of cold calling.

August 6, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. This career isn't a perfect fit for everyone but can be an incredibly rewarding career experience financially and personally for the right individual. Good luck to you in your future career path.

Very unprofessional place

Firstly the management was very sub par. They did not answer questions or even try to help you succeed. They lured many of us in with lies like paid training, that we would make a decent living, that we got real leads, or that we would be able to schedule our own hours. We were required to work 12 hours a day and at least 6 hours on Saturdays. They even required us to be on screen for 3 hours on the occasional Sunday to watch and make sure we were making calls. I did not have a life and ended up paying more to work there than I made. They required us to pay for vacation houses for the office that the owner would stay at all week and we were allowed to go to for one day. They also required us to pay into raffles that were honestly expensive. Honestly I did learn some good tips about sales but that was the only positive. We'd have 4 hour meetings then get yelled at for not being productive in that time. Finally when we did have a good week, we were just scolded for not doing better. All in all I would recommend against working here as it was totally disorganized and everyday was an absolute unprofessional mess.

Pros

A couple good tips on sales

Cons

Too many to list

July 10, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support or misled in any way while on our team. We invite you to send us more agency details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Mlm scam!!

Please do not get suckered into this company. The interview is in a group setting and they don’t talk about the position, they talk about how much money the company makes (red flag). They talk about company getaways and how much money they make so it sounds good. It’s pretty much a cult. If you are not licensed you have to pay out of your pocket for licensing about $500 in total. They don't tell you training (which is 2 weeks/6 days a week) isn't paid and it's 100% commission based. LOTS OF COLD CALLING YOU ARE TRAINED TO HARASS PEOPLE You pay more out of pocket than what you make.

March 31, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our hiring or training style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into your experience.

If you are looking for fast pace this is your place.

Learning the presentation and selling objectives in a very fast paced environment with supportive and experienced managers. Lots of hours logged daily between training, learning recruiting, and selling products.

March 17, 2020
Thank you for your feedback and for your contributions to our AIL team. We're glad you enjoyed the supportive, fast-paced environment, and the opportunity to make a very generous living while offering a valuable service to the working families. Best wishes to you in your future career path.

Terrible experience

This job is selling life insurance to people who mostly cannot afford an extra expense but you make them feel guilty for leaving a financial burden on their family. You call & convince them to let you come to their home, you give the sales pitch while asking for names and numbers of family and friends. I couldn’t take money from families that struggles to buy groceries!

January 7, 2020
Thank you for your feedback regarding your time with AIL. We're disappointed it wasn't a good career fit for you long-term. The position does require a persistent, sales-minded individual and isn't for everyone. We appreciate your contribution to our team's success and wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

Must be competitive

You must be competitive Days can be long as you spend a majority of time in your car If you don’t make sales you don’t get paid Must spend 2 days a week in office making phone calls till 9pm

Pros

Money to be made

Cons

Lots of driving and making phone calls

October 17, 2019
Thank you for your feedback regarding your time with AIL. We're disappointed this agent position wasn't a better long-term career fit. You are right, a competitive, persistent work ethic and success typically go hand in hand in this career. We appreciate your contribution to our team's success and wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

Interested in making sales to make bonuses

It’s a job where you spend your time driving to homes to sell Life Insurance They make selling insurance is easy but it’s not They do not help much with newer agents

Pros

If you sell a lot you make money

Cons

No sales no money

October 14, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We appreciate your contributions to our team and customers and wish you all the best in your future career path.

N/a

Overall, its commission and there are no benefits other than renewals but the management is all about their favorites. If you are not one, then good luck!

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

October 1, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We invite you to send us more agency details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

It can be a good job for the right person.

I started this job at a really hard time in my life so things did not work out for me, you have to poor a lot of time, money, and energy into this job. I ended making an unhealthy version of me even worse by working 15-18 hour days. My health and family just wasn't worth it.

Pros

Nice People

Cons

Only being paid commission

August 29, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you recognize the financial and personal opportunity we offer our Agents but disappointed it wasn't a good fit for you long-term. This position can be tough at first, but with hard work, persistence, and dedication it can be very rewarding both financially and personally. We thank you for your contributions to our AIL team and customers and hope you and your family are doing well. Best wishes to you in the future.

Non traditional workplace for self motivated individuals

AIL is a great company to work for, the staff is friendly and motivating. As a general agent there will most likely be longer hours. This job is great for individuals that like driving/local travel and who enjoy working later in the day. Also good if you don't mind working weekends.

Pros

positive staff

Cons

long hours, great deal of driving and phone calls

August 8, 2019
Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work and dedication to our team and customers. We're glad you're enjoying the friendly, motivating environment available at AIL. This career can be tough in the beginning but with a persistent work ethic, it can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes to a long future of success with us!

Still must cold call

Great if you are ok with commissions. Still must perform cold calls and go door to door on occasion. Management and employees are there to help whenever needed and provide training as needed .

July 23, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you benefited from our supportive work environment and thorough training provided at AIL but disappointed it wasn't a good match for you long-term. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to AIL and our customers. We wish you all the best in your future career path

Got through training but couldn't last more than 3 weeks with no pay

This company to really boil it down is a sales job that is disguised as benefits for union members. They trick you and then when your in the interview it's a job and it sounds good so the first red flag is ignored. Your in a room full of agents calling back to back. I remember having 3 to 4 calls being made to each person on the list. You would literally start over and call until you got denied or before you could set up an appt to go do a presentation. The presentation was a couple of videos so the gas, the travel time, it was slot of spending and no gain. Now the ones making sells I had to wonder about all the people who would sign up for whatever insurance they decided and then when you left or down the road cancel so you may have gotten paid but then would turn around and owe so you knew your next sale would be to make up for this cancelled sale. It was just too much talk and not enough money coming into even pay the small bills much less live off of. If you have money And can afford to lose in the first few weeks then you might be ok but don't expect to have a life other than work.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Everything else

June 13, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. This position can be tough at first, but with hard work, persistence, and dedication it can be very rewarding both financially and personally. We're sorry it didn’t work out long-term but we thank you for your contributions to our AIL team. Best wishes to you in the future.

Never whats Promised

I worked for AIL for about 4 years in several Agencies. As a career agent it was decent at the time because I did not need health insurance or any other benefits. As I moved into management I saw behind the curtain and this is not a good company to work for. Low contract % compared to brokers, stringent scheduling despite agents being 1099, old, non-qualified leads, and a 96% drop out rate for new agents making it hard, if not impossible to build a team.

Pros

Fast and easy money

Cons

No benefits, poor culture

April 18, 2019
Thank you for your review and for your years of service to our AIL team and customers. We're very sorry our Agent position didn't meet your long-term expectations. AIL is always looking for ways to help our agents succeed in their career and feedback from former team members can help us improve their path to success. Thank you for the time you spent contributing to our success and all the best to you in your next career path.

Very stressful

A lot of hard work with no guaranteed reward. Perhaps some people flourish in this environment. I did not. Persuasive skills are a must. A lot of pressure is put on agents who are not making their expected sales goals.

Pros

Insurance

Cons

Stress, long hours, travel using own vehicle

March 28, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. This position isn't a perfect fit for everyone but can be an incredibly rewarding career experience financially and personally for the right individual. Good luck to you in your future career path.

Good environment with the ability to make good money at a cost

I enjoyed the people at this company, however, in order to be successful you were expected to sacrifice any personal life. You also have to be willing to push insurance onto people who can not afford it.

Pros

Upside to make good money

Cons

Hours, the type of work

January 25, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed our positive work environment but disappointed this Agent position wasn't a good fit for you long-term. This career isn't a perfect fit for everyone but can be an incredibly rewarding career experience financially and personally for the right individual. Good luck to you in your future career path.

Fun and Competitive Workplace.

A typical day at work is at your own pace scheduling families based on what you need to make for the following days to come. I've learned much about management and a lot more about myself as well, for example developing work ethic and core values when it comes to advancement. Maangement is always fun and pushes you to be the best you can be at your job. The hardest part of the job is keeping your pay consistent at least in my experience, and staying positive through the constant adversity presented to you, although it really depends on the amount of work you put in to it. The most enjoyable part of the job is accomplishing a sales goal or the people that you work with here.

Pros

Flexible schedule. Your own boss. Uncapped commission

Cons

Long Hours. Unconsistent pay, 100% Commission, Nothing guaranteed, No Benefits (except Life Insurance).

December 4, 2018
Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're benefiting from our positive work environment, schedule flexibility and income that is based on hard work and dedication. We appreciate your contribution to our team and we wish you a long future of success at AIL.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight