American Indian Model Schools

American Indian Model Schools Employee Reviews

Great school
During the summer program I saw how hard the school working for better opportunities for the students. It is inspiring to work with people who have the best in mind for the children.
If you want to work here, rethink.
Working here is a blessing and a curse. As an instructional aid I was subjected to labor, moving boxes that were well over 80lbs throughout the day. Most of the time the head of school would throw papers at me and expect me to catch what was thrown and still maintain a respect for superiority. This job will give you stress and you’ll end up rethinking if you’re worth what you’re actually going through
Amazing Team.
The past year I was able to work with the best K-2 campus team. Our campus principle/dean created an excellent and safe environment for our students and teachers/staff to thrive. I enjoyed the team dynamic and support, of which was the best during my entire employment with this Charter School.
toxic swamp
There were aspects of the job that I loved, such as the occasional lightbulb moment. I connected well with some of the kids, but there were some who made life very difficult. The other teachers were wonderful, but the principal made it very hard to do our jobs. Salary was higher than in nearby public schools, but not enough to live on in the area.
Amazing students, short-sighted administration
Things I liked about working at AIMS (grades 6-8):
-the looping model (teaching the same cohort of students for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades): this model allows you to form deep and rewarding relationships with the students, if you are willing to stay and put in the work. Relationships that were challenging in 6th and even 7th grade blossomed into strong, positive relationships in 7th/8th grade through intentional investment.

-the students: were amazing and not without challenges, but I loved them so much. It was a smart, vibrant, thoughtful, multicultural community.

-their partnership with Techbridge Girls: TBG is an Oakland & national non-profit that focuses on bringing girls and nonbinary youth of color into STEM, and they've run an after-school program at AIMS for at least 6 years now. They do awesome work with the students there.

-some of the teachers I met there: there have been some really great people and strong educators to come through the AIMS community.

-relative autonomy: this is kind of a pro and con, since there wasn't a ton of accountability, but it did mean that I had freedom to try a lot of interesting things in the classroom - bringing in guests, volunteering, SEL with circles and other student-development activities, etc.

Things I didn't like about working at AIMS:

-lack of professional development: weekly PD meetings on Friday turned into mostly informational meetings, and they would often try to end them "asap" (30 min or less). Outside guests were reserved only for day-long PDs, and even then only rarely used. Teachers were rarely asked to lead
 - more...
friendly, productive
The administration is caring and friendly. the staff is absolutely friendly. The students are awesome . Its in Oakland downtown so its close to everything you want
Great Environment
Great place to work! I learned alot from the Chief Business Officer and teaching staff. The accounting department runs very smooth and all of the employees work together for success.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Lots of Noise
Poor Leadership
- Senior administration is corrupt.
- School culture is not consistent.

- Teachers and administration don't seem to work in harmony.

It is a job and that is it. Everyone has a job and does their job. There is no support, lack of communication and overall poor leadership.
Love love love
wonderful people. love them dearly. great school. my children attended as students.. great place!
..............................................................
A very busy, academic environment.
The teachers and support staff are great! Unfortunately, due to the lack of raises and appreciation, there has been turnover and loss of some really great people.
A typical day would be arriving around noon time to prepare all documents for the board meeting. You can take a break anytime you want, Lunch breaks are typically around two, thirty in the afternoon. The hours were pretty flexed.
Pros
you can lave early from work
Cons
typically interfered with my school life
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Indian Model Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6