American Institute of Physics Employee Reviews

Antisocial with high rate of turnover
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDOctober 11, 2018
Overwhelming amount of work with little to no communication. Unapologetic antisocial atmosphere. Management is unengaged and turnover is frequent. Science characteristic is admirable and I learned a lot during my tenure. Compensation is competitive.
Pros
Gym in building
Cons
Management questionable
Stressful and Dull Environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDApril 24, 2018
The environment was stressful due to it being financial and accounting. Leadership did not talk to the employees. Not even a greeting in the morning. When the layoffs took place, everyone knew around us except for us. Pretty humiliating
quiet and focused
Survey Assistant - (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 24, 2018
very different from most jobs I'd been at - very quiet. Most individuals stayed in their office. The environment was focused and driven. I also found that the group of people I worked with were very kind.
Pros
didn't receive any benefits
Cons
flexible with part-time hours
Okay place to work
Executive Digital Producer/Manager (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDOctober 2, 2017
Upper management can be a challenge to work with. The HR department does nothing to combat bullying behavior. The work for science though, and promoting science to the public is good and excels.
Pros
telework for some employees if you've been there long enough
Cons
poor upper management. poor HR department
Aip
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Melville, NY 11747June 5, 2017
My job function at AIP was to process Membership renewals, subscriptions, and Conference registrations.

This position required an enormous amount of emailing, phone calls, and communication with members.

I enjoyed this position, however, after 4 years my position was eliminated.
Pros
Enjoyed processing registrations, memberships, and talking to members.
Cons
Job security
Company overall
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMay 12, 2017
Great job work/life balance. Great compensation and benefits. Great job security and benefits. Great team to work on and be apart of. Great company to work at.
An organization in a mature market trying to re-invent itself
Director, Business Intelligence (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Honed my business analytical skills; created a data visualization environment; a not-for-profit that operated like a for-profit; open floor plan, no private offices
Prestigious and classy
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 22, 2017
This is the publishing arm of the prestigious American Institute of Physics. The field's leading scholars seek to publish in its journals. It was a pleasure to be first with cutting-edge research.
Pros
Meet the top contributors to the field.
Cons
Rigorous publication schedule.
Changed from family oriented company to a corporate atmosphere
Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 29, 2016
Loved the job I did. Proofreading, contact with authors, making sure the page columns were properly balanced before articles were published. Proofreading and copy editing. Also some graphics were done. Unfortunately, the outsourcing of jobs was why positions were let go
Pros
creative job
Cons
outsourcing
Excellent company to work for
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 19, 2016
I was employed for 29 years starting as a secretary and ending as the HR Manager. I was treated fairly and received numerous promotions over the years. The company offered child care at a reduced rate which enabled me to continue my career and raise my children.
Very Interesting Position
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Melville NYSeptember 4, 2015
Good work place for mother with young children since they have daycare in building. Very interesting type of work. Publication company.
Open work area concept
Clerical Assistant to Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Since beginning the temporary assignment in April 2014 I have enjoyed working for the Acquisitions Editor. I have been in charge of AIP Proceedings from submission to production, and have learned many different aspects of publishing a volume for AIP Publishing.
Pros
New office
Cons
Needs to fix the heat/air conditioning system
Recognition can be the best reward
Assistant Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYDecember 27, 2013
Read e-mails, answered phone calls, corresponded with authors, editors, universities, faxed, copied. Made corrections of manuscripts in the computer. I learned to be detail-oriented, team player and prioritize responsibilities. Pleasant work environment. Hardest part of the job was the pressure of meeting deadline. The most enjoyable part was the recognition of my Manager to my dedication.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Meeting deadlines
Great when I was there
Content Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 5, 2013
I loved AIP! I wish they didn't let me go. At the time I was there, they had a daycare facility which helped out greatly for the little ones. Working was great, easy going, great team efforts. I picked up a few tips and tricks from other co-workers which helped speed up my job functionality. In my department, management changed so many times, it was tough to figure out what to do exactly. But the Supervisor was the same and was great, they tried real hard to keep things going smoothly during any transition - KUDOS to them! There was quite a bit of pressure at the job, but nothing overly stressful. There were many social aspects and the co-workers were all friendly. (Some grumps lurked around, but they never hindered the friendly ones.) One thing I did like, management did help out with additional resources (like new computers) when it was needed. But, when the company was downsizing, they let go of a lot of people. Mostly looking at their 'numbers' and not the person they were letting go. As I found it it was a negative, not just for me, but company wise. The people they did get rid of were the ones who helped bring the company originally out of the darkness and into the light. From what I hear from others who still work there, the morale is low & sad now. Pitty. It 'was' a nice place to work at.
Pros
Benefits, Healthcare, 401b, Co-workers friendly
Cons
No more daycare, Management is always on your TAIL, Non-profit organization, mid-low salaries
Was a great place to work at one time
Associate Production Editor (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJune 1, 2012
I had the pleasure of working at American Institute of Physics for a number of years. Those of us working together were like family, making the day even more pleasant. The benefits were great which included a terrific 401K plan.
Unfortunately new management came in a few years ago and decided to outsource many of the production jobs. After those layoffs, there has been a trickle down effect which caused others to also lose their jobs. This has been very disheartening to most, especially those of us who had lost our jobs because of the outsourcing. I hope the company regroups itself and is able to continue hiring for new positions. I hope these new positions offered are not just transitional jobs only to be lost within a year or so.
ever-changing atmosphere
Associate Production Editor, Journals (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 28, 2012
This company was wonderful in the old days. Restructuring has diminished the workforce.