American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Great place to learn and work
Research Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DCNovember 4, 2018
Had great manager, and interesting projects with great people. Office was nice, and had flexible lunch breaks. Food trucks right outside the office, and had choice's in what project you can work on.
Contract work usually for federal government.
Information Center Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 27, 2018
Friendly staff and co-workers. Benefits are great! Government contract work renewal process is very stressful. There is a divide between the PhD. people and other staff.
Pros
Benefits and environment
Cons
contract work
Can be intense work if you are not analytically minded.
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2018
Read and scored academic tests for reading and math, high school level. Responsible for analyzing how answers should be completed for the various tests, and generally agree on test answers with other scorers. Work could be intense for some not used to doing this kind of analytical work. Good working environment, and helpful management. This can be relaxing work if you are used to it.
Pros
Free bagle day!
Cons
No cons to spreak of
Fun place to work but no advancement
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2018
American Institutes for Research is a great place to work for if you are starting out or you get hired or move into a management position. You are going to work on multiple projects all the time and sometimes you may not have clear direction on prioritization of tasks. Career development is lacking as you must decide on your own fate at the company. Upper Management does not have a clear direction on where they want to go and always change their minds without getting feedback from the individuals actually performing the work. At the company you have the ability to telework if needs be, and their are a lot of extracurricular events that the company sponsors. Multiple employee work for 10+ years here, but I am not sure if it is out of necessity or their job may or may not be challenging. It is a good place to get experience with the non-profit industry if it is a sector that you have not yet worked in.
Pros
Fun place to work and good telework program
Cons
Upper Management has no clear direction
Bagel Wednesdays
QC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington County, DCSeptember 26, 2018
Many temp positions. Ability to work from home (even for contractors/full time remote employees. Chain of command is well established. But upwards mobility takes time,
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Work Culture is very lax
Georgetown location is great!
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
What I like most about working for AIR is the location. I'm in Georgetown and this is the area that tourists flock to and it's where I work...let's marinate on that for a moment...the Washington Harbour is right across the street! On a great weather day, I typically will take a break and saunter across the street to look at the Potomac River and take pictures like a tourist...now about working for AIR: Wednesday is BAGEL DAY! In addition to the bagels, there are boiled eggs and fruit, usually bananas and apples. I get a kick out of how some "paint" cream cheese onto their bagels as if it's a work of art. And, whenever AIR has what I'll call a "food event," I know the eating or snacking is going to be good...ice cream socials during the summer...we just had Pirates' Day in September (I think that's what it was called), but anyway, there was food! Now, about the work: my work is cyclical, so there are busy periods and low periods. Reviewing content is quite interesting because I have learned so much:) The atmosphere is casual and sometimes it's really too quiet, but I understand. AIR staff needs a noise-free environment to focus on the demands of work. I'm impressed by the diversity of workers here, but one little suggestion: consider hiring additional older workers because that's an area where diversity is lacking. Overall, I enjoy my job; I wish I was a permanent employee though; I hear the parking benefits are great, but I know that you can't have everything...but I do have one important thing and that is a job, and I am grateful that AIR brought me in as part of their team.
Pros
Bagels
Cons
Temp status
Prioritization is misplaced
Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2018
Longevity of AIR's reputation for high quality assessments that meet client needs and positive client relationships is at risk due to prioritization of the wrong skills and experience in new staff.
Good to place to work at
Data Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 15, 2018
Great work-life balance. Very secured job with no pressure at all.Not much to learn or grow, and is a non-profit organization, so probably not not suited for international candidates
normal job
English Language Researcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2018
A typical day of work is just working in a cubicle doing a various amount of random work. Here, I learned the in's and out's of a business. Overall, it's a nice place to work.
Great Mission but disconnect between lower and upper staff
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
A good place to work. It honestly depends on whom you work for (e.g., staff manager and project directors). In my experience, my staff manager (who was also one of my PDs) was always working remotely but those days that she did come in she acted as if she knew what all was going on.

I was warned to watch out for my staff manager. Several coworkers told me that she is kind to you until you make a mistake and then watch out. That was the case for two people before me. Sadly, I became the third.

Overall, I like the organization, the mission, the CEO, and the great work being done. I guess it is all luck whom you end up working under.

Want to know more about American Institutes for Research?

Ask a question
The relationship with co-workers and team member
Associate Database Specialist/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 28, 2018
My typical work day varied based on project work. I would script out survey and registration question, along with maintaining tier 1 and 2 helpdesk support. In addition, performing project coordination work with Technical project managers and Senior Business Analyst. Assisting with developing online surveys and registration, coordinate communication between project team person and web developers to oversee the scope of work for the development of database, and continue communication throughout the duration of the project. Also, during this period, performed testing, quality review, handling business requirements and assign to program developers, and overseeing the completion of scope work. My daily workplace culture were at time stressful especially during peak period when the demands for project work increased. The most difficult part of the job is when I was an admin and had to schedule 483 observation for 15 site visitor over a 4 month period. I enjoyed supporting helpdesk, designing databases, development online surveys and registration and being an exceptional team player.
Pros
Tuition Assistance Program
Cons
Lack of mentorship and career development in the IT arena
Large company with small company mindset
Senior Pricing / Proposal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2018
Training and advancement is only available with good managers. But the company has more managers than leaders and even though the specialty is on EI, this is not practiced in the company. Overall goals are great for the company, but not seen in support areas. Trying to address issues with management leads to subjective decision making from top management.
Nice workplace
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
Busy workplace, lots of turnover however. Limited access to senior members of the team was through group meetings where presentations usually not relevant to work.
Pros
bagel wednesdays
Was a great company
Temp. Subcontract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
This would be a great launch pad for young and experienced professionals to receive an introduction into non-profits. They have great training programs.
Pros
Flexible work environment, excellent culture.
Professional and Relaxed
Trainer/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 3, 2018
Effectively and professionally trained 25 scores on rubrics for scoring assessments in Math, English and Language Arts on a weekly basis. Also responsible for supporting large computer-based statewide testing programs. Participated in internal meetings to prepare agendas, documents and tracking of employee’s attendance.
Pros
Great Management and Co-workers
Cons
No overtime available
IT Workers are all contractors
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
No room for advancement or possibilities to transition to full-time permanent during my tenure as a consultant.
The best of the team all looking for work to leave AIR.
Most of the team with Temporary Visa's are have lazy work habits and bicker about handling tickets between their smoke breaks and playtime.
Pros
Latest Technologies are present, Hands on IMAC experience
Cons
Management is terrible, low pay, IT Dept. is looked down upon
Avoid this place at all costs
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.June 8, 2018
This place is a nasty H1-B sweat shop. Your career will go to die here. You will feel out of place. You will feel like you're working in a third world country.
Great working environment
Data Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
I have learned so much from AIR.
Good working environment.
Just follow the protocol and you will love your job.
Also it's in Georgetown so your morning time will be good because Georgetown is really beautiful.
Pros
They have bagel day on every wednesday :)
online / remote
Program Monitor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2018
I travel the state in the spring to observe teachers at 18 schools in Utah. I collect my data using several measurements. Then upload the data through the remote desk top to the office.
Pros
Travel, visiting schools
Cons
contacts that are difficult to schedule
Summer Fellow (Former Employee) –  Great Barrington, MAJune 1, 2018
The internship was nice when I was there. I'm not sure it exists anymore. It's also located in the scenic Berkshires area of Massachusetts and they put you up in a mansion during your stay. (Also lunch was provided.)