American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Professional and Relaxed
Trainer/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 3, 2018
Effectively and professionally trained 25 scores on rubrics for scoring assessments in Math, English and Language Arts on a weekly basis. Also responsible for supporting large computer-based statewide testing programs. Participated in internal meetings to prepare agendas, documents and tracking of employee’s attendance.
Pros
Great Management and Co-workers
Cons
No overtime available
IT Workers are all contractors
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
No room for advancement or possibilities to transition to full-time permanent during my tenure as a consultant.
The best of the team all looking for work to leave AIR.
Most of the team with Temporary Visa's are have lazy work habits and bicker about handling tickets between their smoke breaks and playtime.
Pros
Latest Technologies are present, Hands on IMAC experience
Cons
Management is terrible, low pay, IT Dept. is looked down upon
Avoid this place at all costs
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.June 8, 2018
This place is a nasty H1-B sweat shop. Your career will go to die here. You will feel out of place. You will feel like you're working in a third world country.
Great working environment
Data Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
I have learned so much from AIR.
Good working environment.
Just follow the protocol and you will love your job.
Also it's in Georgetown so your morning time will be good because Georgetown is really beautiful.
Pros
They have bagel day on every wednesday :)
online / remote
Program Monitor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2018
I travel the state in the spring to observe teachers at 18 schools in Utah. I collect my data using several measurements. Then upload the data through the remote desk top to the office.
Pros
Travel, visiting schools
Cons
contacts that are difficult to schedule
Summer Fellow (Former Employee) –  Great Barrington, MAJune 1, 2018
The internship was nice when I was there. I'm not sure it exists anymore. It's also located in the scenic Berkshires area of Massachusetts and they put you up in a mansion during your stay. (Also lunch was provided.)
Very low chance of being hired on permanently
Client Service Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2018
There is a lot of downtime at this job, and the culture is very relaxed about what you're allowed to do during the downtime. They have a very strict attendance policy, but hire mostly temps for day-to-day operations, so it makes sense. You will most likely be let go every summer and, if you did a good job, invited back in the fall around October. They rarely hire anyone on permanently from the pool of temps who keeps this place running. The work is easy, but the business model is a wreck. Their non-profit status is the only thing that keeps them running. The management is nice and care about employees and the work, and there are some perks such as free pop, coffee, and tea as well as bagel Wednesdays. But overall no one talks to each other or bothers to get to know new people because they don't expect you to be around long enough for interpersonal relationships to matter.
Pros
Bagel Wednesdays, free pop, free tea, free coffee
Cons
No opportunity for hiring or advancement, no team spirit or inter-office relationship building
Enjoyable place to work
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
Not your typical non-profit atmosphere. Really run more like a for-profit organization. Culture can be both a positive and a negative. Many of the higher-ups have been here for quite a while, and struggle with the mind set that people leave jobs after a few years.
Lots of opportunities for growth in some roles, not so much in others (it depends on your level of education and what division you end up in).
Pros
Moving toward more work from home opportunity
Cons
Internal politics can really be rough
Productive and friendly workplace
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2018
Depending on your position and skills, there may be room for opportunities of advancement. Great supervisors that show appreciation. Wednesday's are known for its free bagels that the director buys and provides us to show appreciation.
Pros
Free bagels on Wednesday
Cons
Low wages
Psychometric Support Assistant I
Psychometric Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2018
My personal opionion is that it's not awful but it's not that great either. The company is pretty good, but this position, and the Asessment Divison in general are very bad. Entry level employees are seen as "disposable" by upper management (actual words). I suggest you do not take this job, but if you do, do expect it to be the start of a career. Rather, you should view this opportunity as a temporary employment last option.
Pros
Depending on the contract you work on, there is an opportunity for a little bit of OT (time and a half pay).
Cons
Overall you're underpaid. High turnover rate. No (none, zilch, nada) growth opportunity. A lot of people hate [or hated] this job.
My AICR Work Experience
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2018
It was a joy to come to work everyday and witness the firm that I supported really help folks who had a terrible disease. I was glad to play my part in assisting others get better
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Very productive posisition and I had great co-workers
Inquiry Response Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 28, 2018
I loved doing my job. I was helping people with their health inquiries and had a great team to work with. The pay was great, my boss was great and they always took my ideas into consideration to better the job and implement new policies and procedures.
Pros
My co-workers, managers and work environment wereall oustanding
Cons
The commute
Producing quality work products anchored in science.
Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2018
Creates a nurturing environment responsive to individual needs for growth and professional development.
Strikes an appropriate balance between the demands of work and the privet lives of stuff.
Appreciates diversity of ideas, opinions backgrounds, lifestyles and experience of all staff.
Satifactory
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAApril 24, 2018
As a CRC with 23 years experience, I'm disheartening to be seen as a third rate employee. This company hires graduate students from abroad, and compensates them better than someone without a degree nevermind the 23 year experience.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
one day wit AIR
Independent Evaluation & Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2018
develop new materials and review the child stories for big book project in Egypt - and train the facilitators on these materials for disseminate it in all Egyptian schools
Pros
have it
Cons
have break
Intern Review
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2018
American Institute of Research was a great place to work. very friendly people and wonderful managers. I worked on a number of projects with various government organizations and learned how to use SAS.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
competitive environment.
Very educated staff, professional, great culture
Information Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 5, 2018
AIR was a great place to work. Management cared about staff work life balance and provided budgets for parties and work lunches. They were open to any needs such as equipment or facilities equipment for my call center, from furniture to headphones, software, and other needs.
Pros
Free drinks, and bagel Wednesdays.
Cons
The call center was a niche environment within the company.
Solid place to work but lacking in several areas
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2018
This is an unexciting job, and though job security and benefits are great, the salary leaves something to be desired. This is consistent across positions, and the company tries to make up for this with good benefits. However, these are getting more expensive by the year. The culture is solid, but lacks excitement and an edge. It is a very *nice* place to work -- the main drawback is that there is nothing especially appealing about it or that makes it stand out.
It was good, I worked on a temporary assignment there
Testing Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCApril 2, 2018
Seems to be very friendly filled with people who want to be there and care about what they do. They have bagels every Wednesday and it gives employees a chance to interact with one another.
No trainings, make you do ilegal things.
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CA 90603March 17, 2018
Research requires trainings and sponsor's authorization to do some tasks, AIR wants you to do those tasks without training and without acquiring previous trainings and or certificates.
Pros
Cons
Lack of trainings, traveling too much, pushed to do ilegal things.