American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Prioritization is misplaced
Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2018
Longevity of AIR's reputation for high quality assessments that meet client needs and positive client relationships is at risk due to prioritization of the wrong skills and experience in new staff.
Good to place to work at
Data Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 15, 2018
Great work-life balance. Very secured job with no pressure at all.Not much to learn or grow, and is a non-profit organization, so probably not not suited for international candidates
normal job
English Language Researcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2018
A typical day of work is just working in a cubicle doing a various amount of random work. Here, I learned the in's and out's of a business. Overall, it's a nice place to work.
Great Mission but disconnect between lower and upper staff
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
A good place to work. It honestly depends on whom you work for (e.g., staff manager and project directors). In my experience, my staff manager (who was also one of my PDs) was always working remotely but those days that she did come in she acted as if she knew what all was going on.

I was warned to watch out for my staff manager. Several coworkers told me that she is kind to you until you make a mistake and then watch out. That was the case for two people before me. Sadly, I became the third.

Overall, I like the organization, the mission, the CEO, and the great work being done. I guess it is all luck whom you end up working under.
The relationship with co-workers and team member
Associate Database Specialist/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 28, 2018
My typical work day varied based on project work. I would script out survey and registration question, along with maintaining tier 1 and 2 helpdesk support. In addition, performing project coordination work with Technical project managers and Senior Business Analyst. Assisting with developing online surveys and registration, coordinate communication between project team person and web developers to oversee the scope of work for the development of database, and continue communication throughout the duration of the project. Also, during this period, performed testing, quality review, handling business requirements and assign to program developers, and overseeing the completion of scope work. My daily workplace culture were at time stressful especially during peak period when the demands for project work increased. The most difficult part of the job is when I was an admin and had to schedule 483 observation for 15 site visitor over a 4 month period. I enjoyed supporting helpdesk, designing databases, development online surveys and registration and being an exceptional team player.
Pros
Tuition Assistance Program
Cons
Lack of mentorship and career development in the IT arena
Large company with small company mindset
Senior Pricing / Proposal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2018
Training and advancement is only available with good managers. But the company has more managers than leaders and even though the specialty is on EI, this is not practiced in the company. Overall goals are great for the company, but not seen in support areas. Trying to address issues with management leads to subjective decision making from top management.
Nice workplace
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
Busy workplace, lots of turnover however. Limited access to senior members of the team was through group meetings where presentations usually not relevant to work.
Pros
bagel wednesdays
Was a great company
Temp. Subcontract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
This would be a great launch pad for young and experienced professionals to receive an introduction into non-profits. They have great training programs.
Pros
Flexible work environment, excellent culture.
Professional and Relaxed
Trainer/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 3, 2018
Effectively and professionally trained 25 scores on rubrics for scoring assessments in Math, English and Language Arts on a weekly basis. Also responsible for supporting large computer-based statewide testing programs. Participated in internal meetings to prepare agendas, documents and tracking of employee’s attendance.
Pros
Great Management and Co-workers
Cons
No overtime available
IT Workers are all contractors
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
No room for advancement or possibilities to transition to full-time permanent during my tenure as a consultant.
The best of the team all looking for work to leave AIR.
Most of the team with Temporary Visa's are have lazy work habits and bicker about handling tickets between their smoke breaks and playtime.
Pros
Latest Technologies are present, Hands on IMAC experience
Cons
Management is terrible, low pay, IT Dept. is looked down upon
Avoid this place at all costs
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.June 8, 2018
This place is a nasty H1-B sweat shop. Your career will go to die here. You will feel out of place. You will feel like you're working in a third world country.
Great working environment
Data Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
I have learned so much from AIR.
Good working environment.
Just follow the protocol and you will love your job.
Also it's in Georgetown so your morning time will be good because Georgetown is really beautiful.
Pros
They have bagel day on every wednesday :)
online / remote
Program Monitor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2018
I travel the state in the spring to observe teachers at 18 schools in Utah. I collect my data using several measurements. Then upload the data through the remote desk top to the office.
Pros
Travel, visiting schools
Cons
contacts that are difficult to schedule
Summer Fellow (Former Employee) –  Great Barrington, MAJune 1, 2018
The internship was nice when I was there. I'm not sure it exists anymore. It's also located in the scenic Berkshires area of Massachusetts and they put you up in a mansion during your stay. (Also lunch was provided.)
Very low chance of being hired on permanently
Client Service Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2018
There is a lot of downtime at this job, and the culture is very relaxed about what you're allowed to do during the downtime. They have a very strict attendance policy, but hire mostly temps for day-to-day operations, so it makes sense. You will most likely be let go every summer and, if you did a good job, invited back in the fall around October. They rarely hire anyone on permanently from the pool of temps who keeps this place running. The work is easy, but the business model is a wreck. Their non-profit status is the only thing that keeps them running. The management is nice and care about employees and the work, and there are some perks such as free pop, coffee, and tea as well as bagel Wednesdays. But overall no one talks to each other or bothers to get to know new people because they don't expect you to be around long enough for interpersonal relationships to matter.
Pros
Bagel Wednesdays, free pop, free tea, free coffee
Cons
No opportunity for hiring or advancement, no team spirit or inter-office relationship building
Enjoyable place to work
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
Not your typical non-profit atmosphere. Really run more like a for-profit organization. Culture can be both a positive and a negative. Many of the higher-ups have been here for quite a while, and struggle with the mind set that people leave jobs after a few years.
Lots of opportunities for growth in some roles, not so much in others (it depends on your level of education and what division you end up in).
Pros
Moving toward more work from home opportunity
Cons
Internal politics can really be rough
Productive and friendly workplace
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2018
Depending on your position and skills, there may be room for opportunities of advancement. Great supervisors that show appreciation. Wednesday's are known for its free bagels that the director buys and provides us to show appreciation.
Pros
Free bagels on Wednesday
Cons
Low wages
Psychometric Support Assistant I
Psychometric Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2018
My personal opionion is that it's not awful but it's not that great either. The company is pretty good, but this position, and the Asessment Divison in general are very bad. Entry level employees are seen as "disposable" by upper management (actual words). I suggest you do not take this job, but if you do, do expect it to be the start of a career. Rather, you should view this opportunity as a temporary employment last option.
Pros
Depending on the contract you work on, there is an opportunity for a little bit of OT (time and a half pay).
Cons
Overall you're underpaid. High turnover rate. No (none, zilch, nada) growth opportunity. A lot of people hate [or hated] this job.
My AICR Work Experience
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2018
It was a joy to come to work everyday and witness the firm that I supported really help folks who had a terrible disease. I was glad to play my part in assisting others get better
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Very productive posisition and I had great co-workers
Inquiry Response Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 28, 2018
I loved doing my job. I was helping people with their health inquiries and had a great team to work with. The pay was great, my boss was great and they always took my ideas into consideration to better the job and implement new policies and procedures.
Pros
My co-workers, managers and work environment wereall oustanding
Cons
The commute