American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Bagel Wednesdays
QC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington County, DCSeptember 26, 2018
Many temp positions. Ability to work from home (even for contractors/full time remote employees. Chain of command is well established. But upwards mobility takes time,
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Work Culture is very lax
Fun place to work but no advancement
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2018
American Institutes for Research is a great place to work for if you are starting out or you get hired or move into a management position. You are going to work on multiple projects all the time and sometimes you may not have clear direction on prioritization of tasks. Career development is lacking as you must decide on your own fate at the company. Upper Management does not have a clear direction on where they want to go and always change their minds without getting feedback from the individuals actually performing the work. At the company you have the ability to telework if needs be, and their are a lot of extracurricular events that the company sponsors. Multiple employee work for 10+ years here, but I am not sure if it is out of necessity or their job may or may not be challenging. It is a good place to get experience with the non-profit industry if it is a sector that you have not yet worked in.
Pros
Fun place to work and good telework program
Cons
Upper Management has no clear direction
The relationship with co-workers and team member
Associate Database Specialist/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 28, 2018
My typical work day varied based on project work. I would script out survey and registration question, along with maintaining tier 1 and 2 helpdesk support. In addition, performing project coordination work with Technical project managers and Senior Business Analyst. Assisting with developing online surveys and registration, coordinate communication between project team person and web developers to oversee the scope of work for the development of database, and continue communication throughout the duration of the project. Also, during this period, performed testing, quality review, handling business requirements and assign to program developers, and overseeing the completion of scope work. My daily workplace culture were at time stressful especially during peak period when the demands for project work increased. The most difficult part of the job is when I was an admin and had to schedule 483 observation for 15 site visitor over a 4 month period. I enjoyed supporting helpdesk, designing databases, development online surveys and registration and being an exceptional team player.
Pros
Tuition Assistance Program
Cons
Lack of mentorship and career development in the IT arena
Very low chance of being hired on permanently
Client Service Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2018
There is a lot of downtime at this job, and the culture is very relaxed about what you're allowed to do during the downtime. They have a very strict attendance policy, but hire mostly temps for day-to-day operations, so it makes sense. You will most likely be let go every summer and, if you did a good job, invited back in the fall around October. They rarely hire anyone on permanently from the pool of temps who keeps this place running. The work is easy, but the business model is a wreck. Their non-profit status is the only thing that keeps them running. The management is nice and care about employees and the work, and there are some perks such as free pop, coffee, and tea as well as bagel Wednesdays. But overall no one talks to each other or bothers to get to know new people because they don't expect you to be around long enough for interpersonal relationships to matter.
Pros
Bagel Wednesdays, free pop, free tea, free coffee
Cons
No opportunity for hiring or advancement, no team spirit or inter-office relationship building
Large company with small company mindset
Senior Pricing / Proposal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2018
Training and advancement is only available with good managers. But the company has more managers than leaders and even though the specialty is on EI, this is not practiced in the company. Overall goals are great for the company, but not seen in support areas. Trying to address issues with management leads to subjective decision making from top management.
Relaxed but busy place to work
Executive Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Its a nice very flexible work environment but pay for junior staff could be better considering the area. Benefits are great, and the office is awesome.
Contract work usually for federal government.
Information Center Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 27, 2018
Friendly staff and co-workers. Benefits are great! Government contract work renewal process is very stressful. There is a divide between the PhD. people and other staff.
Pros
Benefits and environment
Cons
contract work
Good to place to work at
Data Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 15, 2018
Great work-life balance. Very secured job with no pressure at all.Not much to learn or grow, and is a non-profit organization, so probably not not suited for international candidates
Solid place to work but lacking in several areas
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2018
This is an unexciting job, and though job security and benefits are great, the salary leaves something to be desired. This is consistent across positions, and the company tries to make up for this with good benefits. However, these are getting more expensive by the year. The culture is solid, but lacks excitement and an edge. It is a very *nice* place to work -- the main drawback is that there is nothing especially appealing about it or that makes it stand out.
IT Workers are all contractors
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 13, 2018
No room for advancement or possibilities to transition to full-time permanent during my tenure as a consultant.
The best of the team all looking for work to leave AIR.
Most of the team with Temporary Visa's are have lazy work habits and bicker about handling tickets between their smoke breaks and playtime.
Pros
Latest Technologies are present, Hands on IMAC experience
Cons
Management is terrible, low pay, IT Dept. is looked down upon
Can be intense work if you are not analytically minded.
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2018
Read and scored academic tests for reading and math, high school level. Responsible for analyzing how answers should be completed for the various tests, and generally agree on test answers with other scorers. Work could be intense for some not used to doing this kind of analytical work. Good working environment, and helpful management. This can be relaxing work if you are used to it.
Pros
Free bagle day!
Cons
No cons to spreak of
Georgetown location is great!
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
What I like most about working for AIR is the location. I'm in Georgetown and this is the area that tourists flock to and it's where I work...let's marinate on that for a moment...the Washington Harbour is right across the street! On a great weather day, I typically will take a break and saunter across the street to look at the Potomac River and take pictures like a tourist...now about working for AIR: Wednesday is BAGEL DAY! In addition to the bagels, there are boiled eggs and fruit, usually bananas and apples. I get a kick out of how some "paint" cream cheese onto their bagels as if it's a work of art. And, whenever AIR has what I'll call a "food event," I know the eating or snacking is going to be good...ice cream socials during the summer...we just had Pirates' Day in September (I think that's what it was called), but anyway, there was food! Now, about the work: my work is cyclical, so there are busy periods and low periods. Reviewing content is quite interesting because I have learned so much:) The atmosphere is casual and sometimes it's really too quiet, but I understand. AIR staff needs a noise-free environment to focus on the demands of work. I'm impressed by the diversity of workers here, but one little suggestion: consider hiring additional older workers because that's an area where diversity is lacking. Overall, I enjoy my job; I wish I was a permanent employee though; I hear the parking benefits are great, but I know that you can't have everything...but I do have one important thing and that is a job, and I am grateful that AIR brought me in as part of their team.
Pros
Bagels
Cons
Temp status
Psychometric Support Assistant I
Psychometric Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2018
My personal opionion is that it's not awful but it's not that great either. The company is pretty good, but this position, and the Asessment Divison in general are very bad. Entry level employees are seen as "disposable" by upper management (actual words). I suggest you do not take this job, but if you do, do expect it to be the start of a career. Rather, you should view this opportunity as a temporary employment last option.
Pros
Depending on the contract you work on, there is an opportunity for a little bit of OT (time and a half pay).
Cons
Overall you're underpaid. High turnover rate. No (none, zilch, nada) growth opportunity. A lot of people hate [or hated] this job.
Was a great company
Temp. Subcontract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
This would be a great launch pad for young and experienced professionals to receive an introduction into non-profits. They have great training programs.
Pros
Flexible work environment, excellent culture.
Cons
Very educated staff, professional, great culture
Information Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 5, 2018
AIR was a great place to work. Management cared about staff work life balance and provided budgets for parties and work lunches. They were open to any needs such as equipment or facilities equipment for my call center, from furniture to headphones, software, and other needs.
Pros
Free drinks, and bagel Wednesdays.
Cons
The call center was a niche environment within the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Technical Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2019
1. Colleagues are helpful and supportive
2. Challenging tasks in your project
3. Office rooms are spacious
3. Recreational activities such as team events, ice-cream social, etc.
Professional and Relaxed
Trainer/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 3, 2018
Effectively and professionally trained 25 scores on rubrics for scoring assessments in Math, English and Language Arts on a weekly basis. Also responsible for supporting large computer-based statewide testing programs. Participated in internal meetings to prepare agendas, documents and tracking of employee’s attendance.
Pros
Great Management and Co-workers
Cons
No overtime available
Great place to learn and work
Research Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DCNovember 4, 2018
Had great manager, and interesting projects with great people. Office was nice, and had flexible lunch breaks. Food trucks right outside the office, and had choice's in what project you can work on.
Enjoyable place to work
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
Not your typical non-profit atmosphere. Really run more like a for-profit organization. Culture can be both a positive and a negative. Many of the higher-ups have been here for quite a while, and struggle with the mind set that people leave jobs after a few years.
Lots of opportunities for growth in some roles, not so much in others (it depends on your level of education and what division you end up in).
Pros
Moving toward more work from home opportunity
Cons
Internal politics can really be rough
Avoid this place at all costs
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.June 8, 2018
This place is a nasty H1-B sweat shop. Your career will go to die here. You will feel out of place. You will feel like you're working in a third world country.