American Kennel Club

American Kennel Club Employee Reviews

United States35 reviews
AKC has standard non profit pluses and minuses. More politics, less pay, but also less hyper management and less emphasis on the almighty dollar.
The dogs are a big plus--if you are a dog person. A lot of moments were better because a dog was involved or even in the room.
It’s a very amazing job to have I loved working there, it brought me great joy and happiness. I got connections with my dogs and my handlers. I loved going to shows.
Very stressful production data entry meeting standards set by management. Asked to work holidays, if you don’t, really looks bad on you. If you don’t meet production numbers you are written up. After three warnings, you are let go. The stress is more than worth the job. Must like to work in a noisy production floor with others.
good job very relaxed not hard
lovely decoration

very respectful environment

easy to work with co workers

management was very kind and reasonable

slow paced
I honestly can not complain about AKC. The ability to work from home is something That I really enjoy. It can be a little stressful with the customers and the communication with the supervisors.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
To me customer service is about being yourself while serving your customers. It's almost like they want you to be scripted and fake. The people in charge of the departments are rude, including the shift managers except for Richard. He answers your problems without a attitude which is why I go to him more than my manager. Customers are rude because they are frustrated with company website, with the progress of their paperwork getting completed, or papers getting lost in the mail. As a CSR, we tend to get it the worse. The managers listen to your conversation and can clearly hear a customer cursing at you, and you will be the one to get in trouble. I just keep telling myself this is only temporary because when I leave I refuse to look back. When you're hired, they make you believe this is best company in the world to work for but it's not. It's very disorganized, computer software sucks, but I am thankful for the opportunity Definitely a eye opener.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
This work environment is okay but they require you to do more for the same pay. I wish that it would be a better work place with more opportunities to grow and showcase skills.
great co workers and great work hours. fast passed work environment. multi tasking needed. costumers can be kinda rude sometimes but overall great experience with people,
If you enjoyed the politics of high school, you will love it at akc. Don't like your manager? Wait a week and you will have a new one. Overall, it was a job, better than McDonald's, barely.
Not a normal workplace, thats for sure! Each department has their own personality. Not a whole lot of support between one another. There is a lot competition.
the american kennel club is a good place to work. if you enjoy working with dogs then that is the place for you. all benefits and salary is very up to date.
Great organization to work for. You were basically on your own. I worke 6 states and would decide in what area I would work each week. Schedule appointments with Kennels and conduct inspection of the facility, thdos, and the records.. Prepare a Kennel Report and go over it with the owner of the kennel. Each night would send each report electronicly to the home office.
The hardest part of the job was the travel and being away from home. Best part of the job was getting to all breeds of dogs, meeting the breeders and seeing their facilities.
Pros
Salary, Mileage Reimbursement
Cons
Amount of travel, time away from home
Sure, upper management knows a lot about dogs, but when it comes to business, they don't have a clue especially when it comes to their digital properties. There is also no room for advancement. When an opportunity comes up, they always bring in someone new and in most cases with less job experience than the people they already have in-house. The company is a joke. Talented employees quit within a year out of frustration while the losers hang on to their jobs and keep turning out mediocre work.
Pros
Cons
Upper management is clueless
I work as a self employed dog show judge. I enjoy the chance to travel all over the country and offering my opinion on the beautiful dogs. I will continue to judge for a long time.
Pros
Expenses are paid for
When I joined the AKC, it was both interesting and challenging. I was happy with my group's culture and professionally intrigued by a company's history of 130+ years. However, the office politics at the top started having a negative effect on team members, which caused a lot of departures. Lately, the CEO and the board fired most knowledgeable leaders, one after another, with the hopes to stay afloat with the current staff. A very high turnover caused a negative effect on the company's performance. The current executives are extremely incompetent in the digital areas of business but totally complacent. They already find it difficult to maintain their competitive edge and thought-leadership footing. The CEO and his contingent reports would rather defend their position than advance the AKC mission. Will this ever change?
Pros
A lot of great, hard working people in middle management and below in the hierarchy of the organization
Cons
The CEO has no idea how to handle a modern business
I learned quite a bit working at AKC, and was happy to see that they were very gung-ho about using the latest software while supporting the business' bottom line. My time with them as a short-term contract was not a bad time and I was surprised to learn as much as I did. I honestly think I learned more about Git than I ever thought possible.

On the flipside, some onboarding processes could probably be streamlined to save time with future employees/contractors. For example, setting up a clone of their code repositories and development environment to get to work took an incredibly long time, even for an experienced developer like me. This also happened to a few co-workers and it just killed productivity. Some of them took about a week to finally configure the tooling needed! Also, some of the gear lent for work is not of the highest quality. For example, most of us were on company Windows machines that just seemed to not be all that snappy. Not having to work around these issues would have enabled us to do more for them and finish their migration faster.

Other than those small issues, I enjoyed my time there and would happily assist in anything new if asked.
Pros
Lenient with time, personable management and SCRUMs always served a purpose
Cons
Hardware a little lacking, odd bureaucratic issues for a company with such great talent
If you love animals especially dogs, then this place can be an excellent workplace to consider. The culture is very much oriented toward promoting dog culture. Management sometimes struggles with keeping the company relevant to the market. The executive board struggles with understanding the world of the internet.
Pros
dogs come to work
Cons
executive management struggles
Laid-back environment that nonetheless still gets things done. The management allows autonomous decision-making and the employees appreciate the freedom.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Too many meetings
The AKC is stuck in a rut of its own making - no looking to the future, everyone in management and the Board just act to preserve their own self interests and compensation. Favoritism and cliques as mature as a high school environment- no one from the outside with real business experience survives there. Special deals for anyone in the inner circle. No understanding of the consumer, business strategy - they talk to themselves and invest in programs that appeal only to the dog fancy world. Avoid at all costs!
Pros
Plenty of nice people with a passion for dogs - unfortunately none of them have any power
Cons
Where Do I Start.....
Company is a den of deceit and politics. Merit and achievement mean nothing to the corrupt, self-serving and amoral executives. It might be the worst place I have ever worked at or even imagined possible. Duplicity runs deep here; to your face, senior management creates an illusion of support all the while doing the opposite behind your back,. The company is more concerned about preserving the dog breeds than they are in following progressive business practices or treating their employees with respect. Furthermore, it is run by leadership with no real business experience which makes getting essential things done very difficult.
Pros
Some really nice and passionate people at the lower levels who really care about dogs, Very reasonable work hours from 8:15- 4:30
Cons
Too many to list, Ineptitude, out-of-touch leadership in a rapidly evolving market.
i constantly felt pushed to learn and to work. It was an amazing experience. Everyone there is very helpful and patient with new employees and with new clients.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Kennel Club. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.2
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
1.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight