American Kennel Club Employee Reviews

Sinking Ship Steered by Incompetence and Ignorance
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
The AKC is stuck in a rut of its own making - no looking to the future, everyone in management and the Board just act to preserve their own self interests and compensation. Favoritism and cliques as mature as a high school environment- no one from the outside with real business experience survives there. Special deals for anyone in the inner circle. No understanding of the consumer, business strategy - they talk to themselves and invest in programs that appeal only to the dog fancy world. Avoid at all costs!
Pros
Plenty of nice people with a passion for dogs - unfortunately none of them have any power
Cons
Where Do I Start.....
Corruption and favoritism prevail
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2018
Company is a den of deceit and politics. Merit and achievement mean nothing to the corrupt, self-serving and amoral executives. It might be the worst place I have ever worked at or even imagined possible. Duplicity runs deep here; to your face, senior management creates an illusion of support all the while doing the opposite behind your back,. The company is more concerned about preserving the dog breeds than they are in following progressive business practices or treating their employees with respect. Furthermore, it is run by leadership with no real business experience which makes getting essential things done very difficult.
Pros
Some really nice and passionate people at the lower levels who really care about dogs, Very reasonable work hours from 8:15- 4:30
Cons
Too many to list, Ineptitude, out-of-touch leadership in a rapidly evolving market.
ecxiting and challenging
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 14, 2018
i constantly felt pushed to learn and to work. It was an amazing experience. Everyone there is very helpful and patient with new employees and with new clients.
Okay
Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
Lots of growing to do to keep up with Pet industry. Lots of products too many different teams. Unorganized, bad management, grew too fast and then people started leaving.
Excellent company with excellent benefits.
Executive Field Agent (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Excellent environment, great support from office director and department heads; great instructional support. Great benefits package. Being a 5013c allowed this company to offer s top benefits package to its employees. As a Field Agent, I was exposed to many different situations and chalkenges. I scheduled my own customer visits, basing each one on either routine or instructional. Authored all of my own club presentations. My territory covered five southeastern states,
Pros
Very good expense account for travel.
Cons
I could find none.
Fine if all you want is a paycheck every other week
Senior IT Business Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 17, 2017
Small company, very "cliquish". No room for advancement. IT is a joke now that the original management team is gone. Very old school, rigid rural mentality with those in leadership. Generally speaking the employees are friendly. Just about all the mgmt staff worked have been there 20+ years and come up through the ranks and they all have a Napoleon complex.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
cliques
Started at the bottom and made it to management...there was growth opportunity at that point.
Manager of Performance Events (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 26, 2015
The company kept downsizing and my number came up after 17 years. I have a lot of experience through them growing new programs, budgeting and managing employees.
Cons
Everyone walking on egg-shells waiting to see who was let go next.
Good working environment with diverse employee base
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 17, 2015
A good environment for advancing my skill set through interaction with other developers who specialized in different areas than I did.
N/a
Senior Correspondent (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 3, 2014
Enjoyable job and co-workers, management left a lot to be desired.
Average Non-profit
Employee (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 10, 2013
Layoffs of almost 40% of workforce in the last 4 years. Severely understaffed resulting in excessively heavy workload. Continual reduction in benefits. High stress environment.
Pros
Clients are delightful!
Cons
"Command and control" method of management.

Want to know more about American Kennel Club?

Ask a question
Appreciate the opportunity
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2013
My first job. Got to use what I learn from school. Also learn from the job. People were very nice.
Someone who actually worked in the office
Admin (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 21, 2013
It's a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde company. It's great but yet horrible. You will love your co-workers but you will very frustrated with those who are higher up on the ladder (the board of directors).

If you are looking for a company that shows ANY employee appreciation, look elsewhere. Each department has a different set of rules (time off, dress code, etc) and it is very frustrating.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
pay is under what you should make, benefits, lack of morale
Very comfortable work environment for a call canter
Customer Service Animal Recovery (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 4, 2013
Very comfortable work environment for a call canter. Work mainly was answering phones and helping pet owners recover lost pets. Also maintain records of owners and their pets, and enrolling new clients for our animal recovery services.
Pros
assisting akc customers
Cons
rules and procedures could be more stable (and supported)
Must Love Dogs
Volunteer Therapy Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 11, 2012
At least once a week I would take my dog out to this dog friendly outdoor mall. I would encourage people, especially kids, to pet her. The hardest part is when my Great Dane was starting off as a 3 month old puppy and wanted to explore rather than train. The most enjoyable was watching a lot of kids get excited at seeing such a large puppy.
Informative meetings
Delegate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2012
I represent the NCDC Kennel Club for the AKC. I attend meetings and elect officers.
Love working with puppies
Kennel worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2012
I really love to work with dogs. I would go to work and wouldnt want to go home. I really love helping my coworkers in anyway i can,
Pros
listening to music on brake time
Cons
short brakes
Okay Place To Work
Foreign Registration Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 16, 2012
Okay place to work, not very much room for advancement. Management overall is fair.
Pros
good hours, decent pay
benefits