American Leadership Academy Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Charter has pros/cons
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJuly 15, 2018
The kids at ALA are generally nicer and better-behaved than in the public school. The uniforms and leadership culture help with that. My beef is with the leadership and management--many are not educators, but rather business people. The school is run like a business. I was not offered a contract again for a "required" class because they offered an alternative that kids chose over what I taught, so enrollment for my class was decimated. There was no regard for what I did, no accountability, no oversight, no one touched base with me. No one seemed to care. And in the end, I was let go w/out so much as a thanks or I'm sorry. I don't feel like they cared about me as an employee. I will miss the kids and my fellow teachers, however.
Pros
School culture is positive
Cons
Leadership
Great Company to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 22, 2018
American Leadership Academy is a wonderful place to work as well as a great institution for children to learn. My only issues were with the lack of management at the school it self. I did not agree with the leadership at the school and was let go as a result. The school itself is incredible and the teachers and staff that work for the school are the most incredible team that anyone could hope to work with.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Leadership
Enjoyed working here
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85212June 19, 2018
Admin at the Mesa Campus is wonderful. Supportive of staff, genuinely interested in the students, fun. Colleagues all work well together for the benefit of the students.
Pros
Great curriculum, supportive Admin
Cons
Inadequate SpEd support, low wages
Workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTApril 14, 2018
The hardest part of this job was the lack of organization from the administration that adversely affected employee job performance.

What was most enjoyable about the job was working with students and interaction with their parents.
Pros
Summers off paid
Cons
very long hours, daily; inefficiency of imposed systems that lengthened the work hours
Paraprofessional - Special Education (Former Employee) –  San Tan Valley, AZJanuary 24, 2018
I loved working at American Leadership Academy. The school has some great principles in place for the students and for the teachers. Overall I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Low pay
Very good place
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 23, 2018
Very good place for students to be. They take pride in their teachers and students by helping them achieve their goals. They are always availble for help and students feel safe here.
Pros
Involved in student achievment
Cons
retirement
Nice working environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZJanuary 22, 2018
I received a lot of support, it was very nice to work there.
I appreciated the pressure on teachers even more.
All colleagues were really nice

The day would start with letting the kids in, and keep an eye out. After that, helping them to get to class calm and quiet.
After that I would pick up the kids in their classroom to work with them, bring them back to class again.
very respectful and a teamwork culture of dedicated teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at American Leadership Academy. It is a save and wholesome environment for teachers and students alike. We were treated as family however, the administration expected a high level of good behavior, dedication and commitment.
Can be rewarding
Technology Instructor/Coach (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZDecember 4, 2017
Teaching and coaching can be rewarding. Teaching and coaching at the same time can be time consuming. Finding the balance is tough but attainable. If serving is something you like, then teaching can be that reward.
This last year changed from exciting to stressful
teacher (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZNovember 26, 2017
I had a wonderful team to work with! They were extremely supportive and appreciative of all of my hard work.
The other staff members were also kind, loving, and supportive. I listened to many teachers and staff members vent about their frustrations, but we had a trusting relationship and they knew they could trust me to keep their confidence.
The administration does not listen to the teachers as to which students should not be placed in the same class due to behaviors and classroom management. They say they support you but they don't. I was told that I would be given tools to help me deal with an extremely difficult student more than once and never received a thing. Parent promised to give me tools to help me deal with the student and never followed through.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor management
You never know what your day will be like
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTAugust 28, 2017
There is no typical day, I learned to improvise and think fast on the spot. Some of the people were enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job was being taken advantage of.
4th Grade Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJuly 3, 2017
The school has every intention of creating a good environment for students. Management is good, however, working with a bunch of women brings unnecessary drama.
Principal (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 9, 2017
I love ALA! Proud to be a part of such a great organization and group of people. Have seen ALA grow from one school to pushing out into multiple states. The vision and drive to grow and help people is amazing.
Enjoy my coworkers and management personnel
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJune 3, 2017
Totally enjoyed being with the children my coworkers my managers and corporate personnel my experience was excellent the children I will miss as well as everyone else.
Pros
My kids that I grew to know
Cons
The politics of the company
Teaching in East Mesa
Sixth grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 23, 2017
A typical day begins with me arriving at work around 7:00 am. Once there, I prepare copies and papers for the students to work on and ensure I have all the materials ready for the day. When the students are in the room, I take pride in having an orderly and respectful environment with set routines and organization. After school ends at 3:00 I have an afternoon duty then usually stay until 4:30-5:00 grading, planning, or tutoring.
The biggest thing I learned while teaching is patience and the importance of being kind. With all of my students, I make an effort to encourage their success by being involved in their life and by showing them that the easiest thing in life to give is kindness to one another. While a special education teacher I also learned how to manage a team of professionals to ensure that all students special needs were met. Our workplace is fun and relaxing! I enjoy each day and each meeting with my teammates. The hardest part of my job is leaving my coworkers.
The hardest part of teaching is dealing with the growing apathy in the classroom that is a result of the parents also being apathetic or not putting their child/child's education first. It is hard to help children when the family does not enforce consequences or when they undermine the teacher. This behavior is seen in each classroom in each school I have had the pleasure of working at. I no longer want to work for an institution that bases my performance on the performance of students and families who do not put in the same effort that I give.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with students
  more... who strive for excellence, show integrity, service and respect. I love the days when we stop reading from the textbook to google a question someone had and then we have a class discussion on the results. When we have these open discussions, we talk about what they want to learn and their curiosity spikes. When the kids are happy learning, I am overjoyed.  less
Pros
free lunch, Christmas gifts, teacher appreciation week, healthcare
Cons
short breaks, customer/parents come first and teachers are undermined
Limited work hours
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 4, 2017
Typical work day was a split shift. I learned a lot about the Mormon Culture. Management treated me well. Co-workers were great. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the kids!
Interesting work environment with decent pay
Customer service, cashier (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZMarch 14, 2016
It was a bit unprofessional because they had family working together and they would fight in front of the rest of us. The pay was decent, however they would not listen to our suggestions and changed the way things were done quite often.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no health insurance, unprofessional and stressful work environment
management
n/a (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 18, 2015
working at ALA had its pro's and Cons but all jobs have that. Management needs to improve in their ways of communication to employee's. Also everyone should be treated same. The seven habits were not followed.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management needed to improve
Family/pay vs good environment
Art and Study Skills Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZDecember 31, 2013
The job is great but not good for family. The people and culture is wonderful but the is not good.
After School Program
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Mesa AZOctober 26, 2013
I taught little kids to sing and dance in a fun Leadership Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Leadership Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

American Leadership Academy Reviews by Location