American Lung Association Employee Reviews

Nice environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 2, 2018
People are good to work with. Unrealistic goals however for funding. No place for advancement. Most work from home but others are not allowed to stating they can not view hours truly worked.
Nice place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 22, 2018
Small office crew with nice people to work with and flexible work hours. A normal work day consisted of checking daily balances, preparing deposits for remote deposits or actual bank deposits.
Good Company
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 8, 2018
Very good company but not enough room for career growth in the phoenix area. Need more programs to be established. They need to expand this branch and build more programs.
Fun work!
Freedom From Smoking class facilitator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 14, 2018
I did volunteer work here, an it was really fun. I went to health fairs, and I facilitated a Freedom from Smoking class. The only thing that is terrible, is that the freedom from smoking class costs a lot of money for patients if there is no grant at the time.
Flexible Hours for Interns
Health Promotions Intern (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAMarch 26, 2018
Working as a Health Promotions intern at the ALA, you spend half of your time planning health promotion programs relating to lung health and the other half of the time implementing these programs in the community.
The job is not hard but planning can be quite boring. The most exciting part is implementation.
Great mission but slow pace and poor management
Program Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2018
I was proud to say I worked at this company because of the mission. However, the office was unusually quiet and lacked energy. I also felt the pace was slow. And some of the management was terrible. The CEO was not involved and while the ED was nice, they did not address problems adequately with the poor managers. There was turnover due to poor management. Everyone there was committed to the mission.
Pros
35 hour work week; not a lot of overtime; employees committed to the mission
Cons
management issues not adequately addressed, high turnover, lackluster office facility
Great internship opportunity
Internship (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 4, 2018
It was a great internship opportunity. I got to gain variety of knowledge related to healthcare. I got to speak with sponsors, make advertising copies, edit speech. Over all, it was a great experience. My supervisor and colleagues were very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Learning opportunity
Great internship opportunity
Lung Health Liaison (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77018January 22, 2018
Great internship opportunity to begin career in public health industry! The medical director really cares about the purpose of the organization and she encourages creativity.
Wonderful Company – No Pay
Lead Graphic Designer, Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 30, 2017
I joined as an intern to gain job experience. I loved working for a good cause and with competent, passionate people.

The only drawback is that they have no budget. Not only are the workers underpaid, I worked for free all summer. They wanted to hire me on, but have no budget for a graphic designer, even though they sorely need one.
Pros
Flexible schedule, kind coworkers, helpful understanding boss
Cons
No budget, salary
Extremely flexible
Development Intern (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTDecember 10, 2017
Working here has helped with my personal skills and how to bounce off ideas with each other. The managers that are there are extremely understanding and flexible with hours when you're a college student. It can count towards college credit. Its a very calm environment and they are always looking for interns.
identify potential planned giving donors
Regional Director for Planned and Major Gifts (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2017
Finding potential prospects and attempting to connect with them.
Setting appointments for identification and cultivation
mission driven culture which makes for an enjoyable and team work environment
getting NO when making an ASK
Getting people involved with the mission and having donors become more involved with the organization and giving gifts
Pros
the mission orientation
Cons
having people say NO
productive environment
Advocacy Intern (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 8, 2017
Fun place to work at. Staff is very friendly. What I learned about American Lung is that they are a place who really cares about the lung health of their communities.
Internship at Orlando location
Volunteer Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 8, 2017
Very intimate/small working environment, staff can be counted on one hand. With that said, the women of the office are very hands on, and constant communication is a must.
Great place to work to obtain public health experience
Health Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 7, 2017
I loved working for the ALA. Great nonprofit with great staff and an important mission. I had a wonderful manger and mentor as well as pleasant staff to work with
Pros
Great benefits, good work experience
Cons
Grant funded, low wage
Traveling and Productive
youth compliance officer (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAOctober 3, 2017
My job experience at the American Lung Association was very good. I loved the work experience and moving from area to area to do the checks. The partnership between me and my supervisor was very pleasant.
Pros
Free snacks after 3 hours of work, you can set your own hours.
Overall summary
Switchboard Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
Probably my favorite work place. This was a very professional organization, and the staff and directors were extremely encouraging and supportive. As the Switchboard Receptionist, my job was very important as this was at the National level. Calls would come in from international areas and had to be directed appropriately. There were various departments, and visitors would come in for very important seminars and meetings.
Pros
Friendly, supportive environment
Cons
Afvancement was not really possible-based on the organizational structrure
Fun and exciting
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 26, 2017
Very fun and exciting environment to volunteer for. They made every volunteer feel very welcomes, like part of the family. Ran very smoothly and no complaints.
What a Joy
Program Specialist Intern (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJuly 24, 2017
American Lung Association is one of the most wonderful place I have work. The staffs are so caring, friendly, loving and hard-working. I don't recommending this organization to anybody.
Pros
Very relax and joyful
Cons
n/a
Community Engagement Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2017
I loved working here. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I learned a lot from them. It was worth the hard work. I engaged in so many different projects. It gave me a really good understanding of the oragnization.
Nationwide Organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2017
Great Campaigns to help community and educate people to be healthier and get help if you are already a patient of lung cancer. A lot of room for growth with in the organization.