American Marketing and Publishing Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Environment, Encouraging, Fun Co-Workers
Administration/Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 1, 2018
Enjoyed my time with my co-workers, great competitive working environment. Management and peers supportive in teaching and training each other. Many different tasks each week, kept job interesting and exciting. Many different areas of the company to work in, operations, sales, management, marketing, in house management, entry level positions. Plenty of room for growth. Growing company and multiple locations, expanding business model. Sky is the limit.
Representative/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMarch 30, 2018
Great enviroment and excellent place to work. I would highly reccommend working for American Marketing and Publishing to others. Very flexiable and compensated the harder I work.
poor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 20, 2018
misleading not enough training too much turnover and confusion not enough money to survive. Customers have been changed from year to year feel they have made bad impression on the new person from past experience.
Pros
in car
Cons
hard on vechile
Great Company with A LOT of opportunity!
Marketing and Advertising Sales (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 6, 2018
I have been with American Marketing & Publishing for almost 4 years now! Within my time here I have learned so much. The company has great ongoing training and development and really great leaders/managers. I love what I do and the people I work with on a regular basis. I love that AMP promotes 100% off performance and I love the direction the company is headed in. Helping small-med sized business owners is something I am extremely passionate about and can't wait to see what the future holds. Keep up the great work AMP!
Pros
Training/development, leadership, 100% promote from within, recognition
Cons
The work is hard but if you put in the work this is one of the most rewarding careers you will have.
Great company to learn B2B in the trenches. Good training.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 6, 2018
This position is not for the weak. If you have drive, you are compensated. My region included an extensive amount of rural accounts and driving. I was still able to grow my region. The most challenging aspect is selling phone directory ads in a digital culture. It felt like a dying aspect of the position - and yet still a requirement.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Old school product tougher to sell
Outstanding District and Regional Managers
SENIOR SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2017
Wonderful people to work and collaborate with, providing support, encouragement, incentive, competition in a healthy manner. Leadership provided by those who have been there and done it, and succeeded as well. Would highly recommend working here. Bring your motivation and A-game; don't let up, don't stop, and the sky's the limit. Great benefits package as well.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIOctober 6, 2017
I loved this company.

The management is great and very supportive.

The work is hard, but you are compensated very well!

The biggest asset to people looking to work here is to stay positive.
Amp
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 4, 2017
AMP was my first full-time job out of college. This company gave me valuable sales experience and a sales training class that I think will benefit me in future careers. However, the concepts they taught me in class did not work for me. I used their PAATS system and other sales techniques and did not find success. It was hard to get the stigma out of peoples' minds that print advertising is dead.
Overall, good learning experience. Although, be ready for the challenge ahead, if you're in outside sales, of selling print advertising. I believed in their products and internet services when I left training, but found them hard to sell.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
You're let go very soon, if you're not making sales.
Great company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 21, 2017
A very fast past, high opportunity company. Management and leadership are very open, encouraging and helpful in all aspects. It is a fast paced, high stress environment but if you can maintain routines, balance the hours and keep a clear mind this company will give you nothing but outstanding support. You will be well compensated and have many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
culture, motivation, helpful peers and superiors
Cons
long hours, fast paced, sometimes stressful
Not exactly what they describe to you
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 20, 2017
If you do not enjoy cold calling, this isn't for you. Yes, you get "warm" leads here and there, but not as many as you think you will get. The wear and tear will accumulate quickly on your car.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Car wear and tear, hours, placements
Need a backbone to handle customers
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 18, 2017
You will be told no very often, it is a difficult job to have. They expect you to work until 7pm multiple timers per week. You don't make decent commission until you have met sales numbers that bump your commission pay permanently.
Pros
Pay, atmosphere
Cons
Work/Life balance, cold calls
Great Place to Work
Hiring Manager (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 2, 2017
I have loved my time at AMP. There is an exceptional company culture, extensive and ongoing training, ample opportunities for performance based promotions, and a great leadership team.
Pros
Training, culture, Pto, Insurance, 401k match, contests, leadership development trainings
Cons
Performance based pay/promotions, which is not actually a con if you dont mind a little hard work.
Excellent place to gain sales expeirence
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 1, 2017
Great company to work for. If you don't like cold calling and or do not like being told no alot everyday, this is not for you. I learned quite a bit about sales and negotiating through this experience.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Cold calls, usage of own vehicle
Too many hours with laughable products
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 11, 2017
All of the reviews are spot on. Training is BRUTAL! The pay is $12.02 an hour, and the hours you are expected to work on top of the low pay don't add up. Do your self a favor and look elsewhere. Unless you like working 12 hour days and bugging business owners for an ancient product. They claim to be "partnered" with Google which is a lie. Extremely difficult to sell a product that nobody is interested in.
Pros
Freedom, helpful managers
Cons
Low pay, long hours, low car allowance, tough sell
Lonely environment
Digital Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 1, 2017
The company has an incredible CEO, and benefits. The division that I was employed for was a new position and the training lacked efficiency and my direct managers were not helpful. You are by yourself constantly kicking doors down and searching for business owners that are few and far between.
Pros
incredible CEO
Cons
terrible environment that erodes confidence and mentality
Please Read
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 2, 2017
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
The only good things about this company are the few people you connect with during your training and the health insurance. The training is a long and difficult joke. The style they teach you is not effective and there are only about 20 people in the entire company that are good at selling their products. Everyone else is mediocre at best. They have the top 40 sellers on the wall in the training room and most of them barely meet the quota or are below it. Very few people want to be in the book and it is evident that they have been bothered by AMP for years on end because most people immediately say no when you say where your from. Also they expect you to work an extra two hours on Tuesday and Thursday's where you're supposed to focus on home based businesses. It was pitch black and I had some very dark streets that were not well lit-not a safe environment whatsoever especially for women. Nearly all of my training class was gone after 3 weeks and we had one of the largest classes. Do not waste your time please! I normally don't write reviews but I hope this helps people from making the same mistake I did.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Everything Else
Don't Waste Your Time
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 11, 2017
The amount of work you have to put in to be successful in this job is not worth it. I really liked my district manager and the people I trained with but that is the only thing positive about this experience. They will feed you some lie about how AMP is the only growing print company but the reality is no one wants to purchase ads in a knock-off yellow pages directory. The marketing products they offer are sub-par at best and you really have to be a special personality to actually consistently sell them. Their "corporate headquarters" leaves a lot to be desired. If you have any aspirations to be a part of a company that has national legitimacy do not work here. The "CEO" is laughing all the way to the bank while his peons suffer.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Everything but the Health Insurance
Mostly cold calling, selling a product that most companies see as out of date.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2016
8:30 - 5 work day, with the expectation to also work Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

Brutal training week.

Very long script that must be memorized to be hired.

Very difficult products to sell.
Job is rewarding, but only if you sacrifice your customer service
Account Manager/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 18, 2016
Compensation is good, base and strong commission. Training is in depth and grueling. Great CEO and upper management, for the most part. Communication is key and some managers should work on it. Totally cold call and remote work, don't underestimate how bad that can be. I hated cold calls and my clients hated me back. If you don't like it, you won't be good at it and you'll be fired.
Pros
Ceo, compensation
Cons
Work alone, sales is hard and depressing
Incredible opportunities
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 27, 2016
The work/life balance is as good as you make it. If you do not balance well, you may struggle. The management is incredible and will help you any way they can. It is important to ask for help if you need it, but showing that you want to advance and that you are willing to work for it will get you promoted.
Pros
Support that you receive, additional training is always available, amazing coworkers & management
Cons
it's sales - sometimes you deal with people who are not friendly