American Mechanical Employee Reviews

Progressive outfit to work with.
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  KansasSeptember 24, 2019
Never a dull moment at this shop. Dpending on your skill level, you will either become company fireman, corporate babysitter, head chainsaw juggler or lead alligator wrestler. Enjoy.
Small business with big asperations
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMarch 20, 2019
This company's business model at the time was to sell Tenant Improvements, and other 'new construction' jobs then connect that customer with their Service Department. Good to grow a customer base, but when the market tanked, new construction brought them down.
Rough Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 28, 2019
Typical day included grinding, welding, installing duct work. Most work was either extremely hot, or it was cold. Most places were dirty and most had tight places to crawl into.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Dirty Work
Not just a job, more like a career!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2018
Working at American Mechanical is a blessing. Everyday I get to learn something new. We have managers that are always willing to answer questions and the owner knows every single employee by name. I walk into work greeted by several good mornings, every morning. Even when they days get busy everyone maintains composure and works through. I would never trade this job. I love my work family.
Pros
Hour Lunch, Good Pay, Work Environment
2nd home
Installation Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2018
I have worked for this company for a number of years and I will say that it is the best company I have ever worked for. They are straight forward and they get the job done. They honestly care for their employees like family - honestly that is how I feel about American Mechanical..it is my second home. I feel happy and proud to come to work everyday and when I am asked where I work I always answer with a smile full of pride because in my opinion..I WORK FOR THE BEST.
Pros
no drama, open door policy, dedicated employees
Best company ever worked for!!!
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2018
I love working for American Mechanical. Its less of a job and more like a second family. Our customers come first and we genuinely care about giving them the best experience possible. Our management is very open minded and love to hear our opinions. Pay is great!! Everyone is easy to get along with! There is always work to do so the days move quickly! Overall American Mechanical is by far the best!!
Pros
great pay, time off, benefits, relaxed environment
typical day
Plumbing Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAJune 15, 2018
Great leadership, good foreman, opportunity to grow, good teachers helpful enjoyed everyday working there. I would recommend them to others. I drilled and learned the fitting and my career there.
Pros
fast, reliant
Cons
Great place to work and steady work pace
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 12, 2018
Lots of work. Commercial work lotta hours good trainning as well well staffed. Good shop guys to help you get job done. Helpers may need to be little more judged in hiring process
American Mechanical - VA Beach
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 9, 2018
A typical day at AMEC is a roller coaster, no routine, no work flow. Management consists of those who have lied on their employment app's and previous bartenders. The workplace culture is much like high school, a lot of back-stabbing and gossip. The hardest part of the job (in the office) would be wanting to stay in that job. The enjoyable parts of the job would include lunch time and leaving.
Pros
Awful Management
Cons
Awful Management
Loved this job and had an amazing boss. Would love to have another opportunity to work for this company or one like it.
General Laborer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 5, 2018
This is a great company to work for and would love to return and make a full time career of it. I have a family to provide for and I fully know I could provide and take care of them with this company.
Pros
Great management and training
Cons
The join ending and losing my employment
Loe Key and Easy Going
Project Manager/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Overall, the company is great to work for and I would return in a hot minute. The only caveat to the company is the communication was low and frequently not present. It was difficult to get direct answers at times. Still though, this is a great company and the focus on the employee work-life balance was beautiful.
Pros
hours, independence
Cons
communication
Decent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 17, 2018
This place had good pay, the people were easygoing, the boss was engaging and easy to talk to, paychecks came on time, great location, and the job position kept me pretty busy because people always needed help around the office.
Not a bad place to work
Summer helper (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 24, 2017
Not a bad place to work. But when I worked there it was owned by somebody else and it was going through some changes and a bunch of issues. But it was good work
WELDER (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMay 9, 2017
Great place to work if they could have gotten more work would've been great. the people were good to work with. they take care of their employees. would go back.
Tough place to work due to, family owned and operated.
Service Technician and Plumber (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 14, 2017
We had no problem getting our hours in, but had issues with to many family members and some of them were doing drugs and selling drugs out of shop.Good union benefits
Pros
job security
Cons
drugs in the shop
Great company to work for, loved all my co-workers.
Administrative Clerk, American Mechanical (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MONovember 18, 2016
They are a rapidly growing and well manged company. I enjoyed going to work each day and felt appreciated. The hardest part of my job was the dispatching.
Pros
Close to home and friendly environment.
Cons
No medical benefits.
good learning experience
HVAC Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CANovember 15, 2016
You working daily in safe environment, as well as going to school for the trade. advancement is up to you but i can guarantee you these type companies are very hard to come by..
good
Fast paced work place
Department Head/Coordinator/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 31, 2016
Each day was always new and different than the previous. However, the tasks were the same each day. Through the job, I perfected multitasking and organizational skills. My coworkers were generally easy to work with and we would try to work as a team. The hardest part of the job was always dealing with difficult or irate customers, but that was manageable. Management was either over the top or nonexistent and usually indecisive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pace of the work and the uniqueness of each day.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Poor management and organization
work alone
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, GAMarch 20, 2014
service calls,replace existing units.owner was a good man,slow work i had to leave.{laid off)
Pros
free lunchs/take home veh.
Very interesting place.
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJanuary 7, 2014
this job had taught me alot about pipefitter and welding that i had not known. There are very good welders out there and you can make a good living off of it.