American Media, Inc Employee Reviews

Very disorganized workplace and management cannot stick to any decisions
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
I worked at American Media for a short time and was very disappointed when I was laid off within the first year. I wanted to retire there. For the last 2 months, it was obvious that I would be laid off and it was just a matter of time. My boss downgraded me from one office to a cube after stripping me of my ranking. I was promised to be on one level of upper management and then shoved under another person. My manager should have had these decisions from the beginning instead of promising me and then mitigating my responsibilities. I received only 2 weeks of severance pay which is less than most companies. Very disappointing.

If you are in the job market, avoid this company as you may not last more than one year and then you are cast back out into the job market.
Pros
Flexible work at home days
Cons
Manager moved me from office to cube
Great Learning Experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Given the chance to develop new talents and skill set. Great interaction with other departments and CEO. Was made to feel that you contributed to the success of the operation.
Fast paced
Photo Editor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 5, 2018
Working for American Media, Inc. was an interesting experience. I got to experienced first hand, the amazing company that it is. It's the MEGA industry for print media on the American market.
The diversity of different magazines, all in just one building.
Walking into this facility every morning was interesting. I would never forget this job opportunity.
A horrible dying company
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 17, 2016
Management just kisses butt to the higher ups and does not care about their employees. Zero growth potential and the $h!+ rolls downhill as in most organizations of this type.
Very good place to work with
Personal Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 17, 2015
A great company to work for if you like the advertising industry.
It's fun working some great co-worker. We get to meet with some of the people we actually published on the magazine. Things started to get tough when we file for Chapter 11 back in 2009, then 2011 with most of the layoff and this year with myself included.
Pros
We get to go out anytime for lunch and work long hours at times
Cons
Prior to the last couple of years since after the Chapter 11 / the benefits weren't that great these
Flexible with work/life
IT Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 17, 2015
You supervisor works with you to help balance work/life. It is a case to case basis I am sure but I have always felt that my boss would work with me if I needed.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Morale a bit shaky
Great job work/life balance.
Integrated Midwest Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago ILFebruary 6, 2015
I've had the privilege of working at American Media, Inc. two times. Currently as an integrated sales associate on a fitness lifestyle magazines that I truly respect. Previously worked on a celebrity titles which made for many great conversations throughout the day. Proud to be part of a team that helped in the transition of a publication from tabloid to glossy.
Productive Environment with hard-working but fun atmosphere.
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 22, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. They were very knowledgable yet fun. I learned SQL inside and out at this company, among other things, and it made me a top notch analyst.
Pros
Reasonable hours
Cons
Long drive
Productive and co-workers are fun to work with
Administrative Assistant - Digital (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
As an Administrative Assistant, I make sure that day-to-day office tasks run smoothly. I am organized, accurate and pay close attention to detail. Some of my daily tasks include, answer phone calls, schedule meetings, reconcile expenses, create contract approval forms, and process invoices. Occasionally, I help other departments on projects such as upload images and articles on mensfitness.com. This position allowed me to develop my skills further in communication and time management skills. The hardest part of my job is having to share a cubicle due to limited space. I enjoy the team atmosphere. My co-workers are goal driven, which I like very much. The downside of the company is that there is no job growth or advancement opportunities.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Too many Layoffs
High paced, interesting position.
Executive Secretary to Editorial Director, VP (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 15, 2013
Never a dull moment days. Start at 9 and it's 5 in 5 minutes.
Excellent work environment. Intelligent, efficient, friendly co-workers.

Want to know more about American Media, Inc?

Ask a question
No Work/Life Balance
Director of Cost Control (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2013
Bad place to work. Death is better. Management was extremely difficult to deal with. A lot of negative attitudes.
Pros
Cons
Work/life balance bis bad, compensation and benefits are also bad.