American Medical Response
58Below average

American Medical Response Employee Reviews

United States1,352 reviews
Found 1,352 reviews matching the search
Average pay for above average workload
Pay is good, benefits are good, management is average and the workload is way above average. Dispatch is dispatch. Excellent equipment. New trucks, lp15s, vrts stock and clean the trucks
Overall, better than most companies. I like it.
Negative Atmosphere, Bad Supervisors, High Turnover
12 or 8 hour shifts in a high volume call center that takes 911 fire and medical calls and hospital transfers.

Supervisors and associate supervisors are supposed to be on the floor with the call takers and dispatchers. Some of the supervisors and associate supervisors are the center manager's favorites so no matter what they do or say the manager believes them.

Some supervisors won't take responsibility for if they make mistakes and will blame you instead.

Some supervisors micromanage and go around asking people all the time why they aren't in green and ready to take calls but you can be doing other required things connected to the call you just took.

Turnover is really high- people quit all the time to go work somewhere else.

All calls are recorded and some are graded and some of the graders never say anything good that you did. They focus on all your mistakes and get a lot of things wrong even when they have been to training and are supposed to know how to grade calls. If you get a high graded 911 call they'll give you a little stress toy but most of the time they forget to do that.

You don't get lunch breaks only 15 minute breaks that are scheduled so you have to order in food or bring it with you and eat at your work station.
Pros
helping people who call 911, sometimes management will buy lunch, LGBTQ friendly
Cons
stress, bad supervisors & trainers, polyester uniform, negative atmosphere, no lunch break
Poor management
It was a very good experience with being. paramedic. However, management does not seem to care about their employees ( tooth faced, and hypocritical). They will tell you what you want to hear, and do something else behind your back. Best way to describe the Regional Director (RG) and Chief of Operations is like a a Car Salesman. The RG literally will blow smoke up your rear, and Chief of Operations is his puppet. He ha son backbone. Imagine being in a meeting and discussing something important, and finding management sitting in corner of room, playing on his phone, asif you don't matter.

After the unfortunate event of two employees involved in fatal crash involving a DUI Driver, management did not seem to want to change certain policies to make us safer. When given the answer " Lets hope not" when advised"if certain policies do not change

, its not a matter of "if" a fatality will happen again, its a matter of "when".

worst management team ever. Especially when a manager tells you "F.U" on phone.
You have the opportunity to get better every shift.
Environments differ from division to division, so I can only speak for Riverside County, CA, but my division has a 3-Rule Mantra; "Be Nice, Be Safe, and Be Proficient." Supervision/management has everyone's back and support staff works extremely hard to accommodate everyone's needs. It's a continuous learning environment and no one hesitates to help or teach a fellow employee. Even with the normal EMS turnaround, it always feels like family and you can see that when you interact with the other Riverside County divisions.
They work u hard and pay not good for the work u doing
Just not a stable place to work don't care for there employees. Treat your a number training wasn't good at all learned alot but the training wasn't on point
Good company but very focued on numbers
AMR overall is a great company. You have good equipment and management for the most works well with staffing. But be aware, they are highly focused on transport numbers and if you are running a borderline operation you will be sold out with very little notice
Underpaid
Pay is very low compared to the cost of living in South Florida. This job is mostly ideal for someone who is a student and does not have to pay rent and other bills to live, profits are put before taking care of employees
Solid division to start off a career
Great place to start off in EMS. busy days with lots of hands on pt care and assessment. lots of different stations around the city which was great and pt employees have extremely flexible scheduling. Supervisors are understanding and always willing to help out and coworkers are a great group of people. this division gets plenty of hospital transfers and emergency calls so a great place for new Medics or EMTs to get comfortable.
It's a good place to work
It's a good place to work good people or very friendly and helpful in they stress chain work and consistency in order to succeed in the company. They are fair
Amr - philly/nj
So, I've seen the gossip from across the nation in regards to AMR. Trust me, there are far worse places to work. Getting sent out on that last minute run (like 10 minutes before your shift ends) is no different than working 911 and your relief not being there yet. In some cases, we are short staffed and it's not communicated with the field staff. We just get the "hold-over" notices and have to deal at the last minute with something that has probably been brewing for some time on the dispatch boards.
As to pay, In the Philadelphia/N.J. operations, management is truly making improvements. Could they always be better... of course. Could they be worse... Absolutely!! As to the "benefits", the medical side is "okay". I truly believe that if you had the right person at AMR, negotiating with an insurance carrier in a semi-aggressive manner, then we would have even better benefits. Keep in mind, the government and the insurance companies want to make as much money for as little coverage as possible. This of course with the high deductibles and co-pays. Whatever happened to the $500 and $1000 deductibles and $20 copays? ultimately, the EMPLOYEES, pay the price. As to other benefits like vehicle, electronics and other benefits... they offer some nice stuff.

In the training department, they offer both online as well as classroom (when pandemics are not causing issues) which are 100% free to employees. The employee just has to be mindful of taking the classes. A lot of these offer con-eds, If you're smart, you would never have to worry about re-certifying your EMT, Paramedic or RN
 - more...
Pros
Pay, Benefits to a degree
Cons
Last minute dispatches and hold overs, poor communication to a degree
Best place to work with a oriented focus family
The company had been a good place to work and support EMS and Paramedics on calls that are dispatched to them. We as a family want our customers to have transportation arrangement and contract non-medical vans to assist them when they need it most.
Good
It was a good experience. It allowed me to provide for my family and have a sense of productivity. It also allowed me to enjoy my time with the patients.
Amr
Only cares about the money, not employees, horrible pay with lousy benefits. The “Union” is a joke that is represented by individuals who have no idea what they are doing and bow to management
Experience
Place is only good to get experience for Paramedic and EMT skills. Dont bother with corporate ladder. Working with fire is pretty straight forward and not much clashing.
Not as bad as one would think
Working for AMR isnt as bad as one would think. They offer a ton of cool benefits. Discounts for a ton of stuff through the portal including workout memberships, car insurance, new car plans, tickets to Event venues and theme parks. The health insurance is so so, not the best but not the worst I've ever had.

Management kind of sucks in the Philly/NJ branch.

Pay is decent.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Poor management
Great place to either start a career path in emergency medicine
Despite its corporate structure, my experience within the current county I work in, my coworkers feel like family. Whether you are just getting into emergency medicine or a veteran of the trade, AMR is the place to be.
Challenging
The current management sucks and it interferes with the overall culture. AMR as a whole is a decent company and benefits are ok. Just don’t ever expect to get off on time.
Benefits
Cons
Management, time management, dispatchers, trucks
If you like being screwed over, this is the job for you!!
Do you love doing patient transports that’ll keep you many hours over your shift because dispatch decides that they’re going to give it to you, even though you’re off in ten minutes, instead of someone who just got there? Do you love making minimum wage for saving lives? Or what about getting treated like a child because management acts like you’re incapable of functioning as a human? This job is perfect for you!!
Learned alot
I learned a lot while on this job. The management seemed pretty incompetent at times. The work environment was sometimes hostile. Got to know many of the hospitals in the city.
If you are seeking more and want to help your community.
The job overall is demanding and redundant at times. Some days it's the best job in the world, and some days it's the worst job in the world. There are many fun aspects as well as not so fun aspects. At the end of the day, you have job security.
This place had a lot of things in having potluck, rewards, birthday parties, thanksgiving day and christmas parties.
Being I employee for 10 years with AMR and 13 with Mobile Life Support ( 911 Medical Service) in Modesto, Ca. I had learned so may tasks over the years. Specially co workers, we were a team and a good management that were direct us to a new task work to do
Pros
Most of the time on each month we had our potluck and some rewards to our employees
Cons
I don't remember having a paternity leave before, until AMR offer us this package in out policy
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Medical Response. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.2
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight