American Medical Response Employee Reviews

Corporate EMS
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAAugust 16, 2018
Worked there for 18 years and left due to terrible management.
AMR had the best equipment and electric stretchers that helped limit back injuries.

Being headquartered in Colorado made it seem as if the upper management was out of touch. When our business unit started to fail they were slow to respond and the division was all but lost.
Pros
Pay, travel
Cons
Poor employee relations
Not recommended
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXAugust 14, 2018
Was frequently forced to work on days off, even when I had other plans. Supervisors were quick to write people up for even the smallest infractions. When a customer would complain, they would not always give us the benefit and back us. Usually it ended in a write up. I do not recommend working for the Communications/Dispatch Division in Dallas, TX at all. I have worked in all kinds of environments, but disliked this one the most.
Don't Stay Here
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAAugust 13, 2018
Working for American Medical Response is great for the short term until you realize that they will never appreciate the work you do and will continue to try to pay everyone close to minimum wage as the cost of living goes up. The management is very fickle and makes disciplinary decisions based on how much they like you.
Productive and educational work enviroment
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZAugust 10, 2018
Always ready for everything, everyone is resourceful and wants to help the younger/ newer people succeed. Also always a great environment even when things aren't going that great or if someone is having a bad day.
Tightly knit organization
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 10, 2018
In the time I worked for AMR I felt as if I was part of a much larger organization yet supported by a family of people that cared about what they did, what they did for the community and how they could help one another. They have fantastic people.
Good stepping stone for emts and paramedics
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 6, 2018
AMR in Dona Ana County is a greart stepping stone to either the fire department or while going to school. If you're part time you can have flexible hours and plenty of opportunity for overtime.
Pros
flexible hours, overtime is abundant
Cons
not enough classes or CE hours
very busy, must be alert and ready for anything at all times
Emergancy medical dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 1, 2018
AMR is a great place to work. they provide EMD certification, it is very fast paced,high volume of phone calls, must be able to multitask. typing talking and listening carefully at all times. it is rewarding helping save someones life after a 911 call. very important to pay attention to detail and everything a person says to be able to provide the help that individual needs.
Pros
great place to work, caring people, making a difference
Cons
could be stressful, part timers not guaranteed over 8 hours a week
Loved the job
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 31, 2018
Started at the bottom but was able to rise rapidly through the ranks. Enjoyed the work environment for the most part, but as with any EMS job it had its stressful moments.
Okay Place
AR (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 27, 2018
It's an okay place to work at if you are looking to get in the door somewhere. There is no room for growth and there is a lot of favoritism. You have employees outside on 30 smoking breaks.
Very fast paced and very busy enviornment
Call Receiver Operator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 27, 2018
I am a Call Receiving Operator, a new hire trainer and I also perform interviews. When I am in the Communication Center I am in charge of the Yale contract incoming calls, managing the fax machine for incoming bookings that need to be entered, and I also manage the online bookings through the EPIC, Curaspan and ECIN programs. Its a lot of multitasking but I have no problem handling it all while remaining professional at all times.

When I am a trainer for the new hires, I conduct a 3-4 week training course for about 5-7 people at one time teaching them all of the services that we provide, how each call is to be entered into our computer system and what information is needed to complete each call.

I have learned so much from being at AMR. I have gained a lot of friends as well as family after being there for 19 years. I have gained so much experience in numerous areas that I have been given the opportunity to work in.
Pros
Very energetic enviornment, family oriented
Cons
Very high medical benefits
I've enjoyed these past 30 years of my employment
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Irwindale, CAJuly 26, 2018
Overall I've enjoyed my 30 plus years , I just feel time for a change as I look closer at my age and position. I really enjoy my job but feel new challenges await me
Pros
Lunch breaks with a good work environment and top line equipment
Cons
Constant change in healthcare
exciting and challenging
Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 26, 2018
working at AMR is a rigorous, challenging job. It employs system status management, which means a typical day is spent posting with your ambulance at various locations, being dispatched to the nearest 911 call. A typical day begins with a thorough check of both your vehicle and your gear, checking every medication, every tool, and every piece of equipment in the ambulance. Then, the shift is spent responding to 911 calls ranging from basic sick calls to trauma to cardiac arrests. Hartford is an urban environment, as safety is of the utmost importance. I am also EVOC trained and can drive an ambulance. The hardest part of the job is being first on the scene at tragic events like shootings, or motor vehicle crashes. The best part is that I know I make a difference and help people on their worst days. I know that more than a few people in my city are alive today because of me.
Pros
supportive environment, autonomy
Cons
no cons, i loved that job!
Disappointed
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2018
It’s too bad that you are expected to maintain your licenses and all of the responsibility that being an EMS professional is expected to adhere to with very little pay.
Pros
Rare
Cons
Accrue PTO at very low rates, low pay, overworked, negative working environment
Poor management
EMT-B/EVOC (Former Employee) –  Onley, VAJuly 25, 2018
I would not recommend for anyone to work here. Everything seems like its all good and well until you actually start working here. There are way too many false faces. Poor management, and everyone for them selves. Very sneaky and shady.
Good place to wpork
Emergency Medical Technician- Basic (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJuly 23, 2018
Good place to work thy take care of their employees and its a family like environment, they always push you to be a better version for you weather its work school or home.
Pros
Uniforms and teddy bears
Cons
Cheap teddy bears
Great company to work for in other markets, not in Spokane.
FIELD OPERATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 23, 2018
AMR's operational goals here in this market are paramount, excellent treatment of the line staff and Supervisory staff are not a priority. Upper Management is unapproachable, uncaring, and dishonest.

Employees are treated as second class citizens, and Supervisory staff are expendable and exempt slave labor.

Other AMR operations are not at all like this one.
Pros
large, nation wide company with relocation opportunities. Tons of experience available.
Cons
Terrible wages, poor working conditions, horrible upper management.
Emergency Trauma Transport EMT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 23, 2018
It was a very exciting job for me when i was an EMT. I love helping people and doing what i can. I am still a volunteer to this day. They weren't very acomodating when i came to scheduling though.
Cons
no breaks
Well its good not great but its a job
DISPATCH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2018
This could be a great place to work but the pay is terrible. They keep promising a raise that has been going on for at least 2 years. This jobs is stressful enough but because we cant keep new employees because of pay and terrible beni its even more stressful. There is some favoritism that occurs that are so obvious. But over all if you are down to work for a company that does its best at help people when they need it work here. Dont expect to move up into any supervisor roles anytime soon. There is no room for advancement/
A challenging career
Licensed Paramedic (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 9, 2018
A typical day at American Medical Response is filled with unpredictable medical emergencies or inter facility transfers. I have expanded my advanced life support experiences. The management team at AMR is very fair and consistent. The work place culture is ever evolving. Personnel are introduced at a younger and more ambitious rate. New employees are using AMR as a stepping stone or a catapult into the emergency services or medical field. The hardest portion of my career at AMR is the unpredictability of the work day. The most gratifying part of AMR is making a positive difference and saving a life.
Pros
Gratifying profession, Opportunity to mentor young healthcare providers.
Cons
No cons
fun place to work
Communication Call Receiving Operator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 9, 2018
Fun workplace, but no room for advancement. I don't have much to say about this company. I worked there many years ago and do not remember much about how it was operated
Pros
Friendly workplace
Cons
Not enough raised to keep up with the economy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Medical Response. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight