AMERICAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Poor environment
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 6, 2018
management was not good. No raises, bugs, not very clean, rules changing everyday, treated like you were a kid instead of adult lack of communication.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Benefits sucks, poor communication, bad overall
Admissions and Career Services
Lead Admissions Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 4, 2018
I was only at ANU for a year before the school closed along with other campuses. But my time here was enjoyable! I miss the staff and students for sure!
Education
Student Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 25, 2018
A wonderful atmosphere of many caring people, and people who are only trying to further their lives and make the lives of the people around them better at all times
nothing
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 24, 2018
I loved working with the students. I believed in them and them me. management at the campus was awesome but corporate wasn't.I just don't think they were looking out for the Richmond Campus
A fascinating place to work
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 17, 2018
National College now known as American National University was a diverse workplace, fast paced and I learned new things daily. I had to stop working due to a chronic illness and had that not happened, I feel that I would still be there working today.
Pros
Diversity, employee educational benefits
Cons
Lack of updated software
Would not recommend
Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 16, 2018
In the amount of time I've worked here I and no one in my department has ever received a raise yet they can continue hiring people for quite a bit more, at least almost double, than us. Upper management is shady, disorganized, and gives no clear directive or training. We are held accountable for the things campus is responsible for but is too lazy to do and the upper management is aware of it but it is not corrected. Instead they try to hold us accountable for the lapse at the campus level. I wouldn't recommend working here.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No raises, bad business decisions, managers will not advocate for their department
hardest part of job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 18, 2018
frequent changes to admissions enrollment process
high turn-over rate in some departments
departments do not effectively communicate with one another
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
turnover rate
A good job while I was in school
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 15, 2018
This job was just while I was in school. It was a good job that worked with the needs I needed while in school. The job also helped me with some experience in the office.
Sinking SHIP!!
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 23, 2018
American National University used to be a great place to work, however that has been going down hill for several years. The long term employees have had no raises for over 7 years now, while new hires are coming in making more money, and the new management positions are coming in at 6 figures (after forcing prior management out). The atmosphere is now that of "here do this, but wait do this too, and this, but get them all done NOW, and while you're at it, do this too." Extremely stressful.

They are closing campuses left and right, are/were accredited by ACICS which has been shut down by the government, so have been seeking new accreditation, which has not yet occurred. We keep getting told "any day now, any day now".

If you are thinking about working here or going to school here, just don't.
Pros
Personal days, work hours.
Cons
Stress at every turn
productive
Student Program (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAFebruary 19, 2018
work hard easy work with students and staff making sure all parties were included in the process to achieve our goal as students prepare to graduate from college
comments
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Danville, KYFebruary 19, 2018
no comment. New to the company and still learning about everything and how the company operates on a daily basis. The work environment is pleasant and co-workers are excellent.
Life on Campus
Library Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 13, 2018
I found this employment to be thoroughly enjoyable. The people that I worked with and for were some of the most agreeable folks to deal with. There were some issues with management, but not to many.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, lots to keep you busy
Cons
Not enough hours
Collaborative environment
Receptionist/Security (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 29, 2018
American National University provided me an opportunity to earn an income and job skills while a student at the university. The staff and faculty scheduled my workdays around my school studies. The job gave me customer service skills as well as technological monitoring systems,
Pros
stress free
Cons
temporary; the school closed
Friendly students
Clerical Assistant, Federal Work Study (Former Employee) –  Stow, OHJanuary 10, 2018
students were friendly. Great educational experience. Allowed time for working and to do school work. Was very family oriented . Allowed students the resources needed to succeed.
Anu
Assistant HIM Program Director/Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 9, 2018
When I first started it was a thriving Campus. Since then, many ANU campuses have been closed. I enjoy teaching, but the pay is not competitive. We have experienced several upper management turnover and that has been difficult.
Pros
On Line teaching and on campus teaching
Cons
pay
Just be cautious
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 18, 2017
Even though there were changes in upper management in some form or fashion every other week I would have never known that I would have been laid off there was no warning no nothing.
Pros
There are some great people that work there, not everyone was a backstabber
Cons
To much going on with the accreditation stuff, and too much movement in management.
Engaging and Friendly
Medical Assisting Program Director (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22911December 8, 2017
Administration are cohesive, supportive, understanding, and provides encouragement regularly. Kindness & thoughtfulness for one another is a great asset during the day-to-day work climate shared among all which contributes greatly to individual peace of mind during periods of growth and reorganization.

The mission itself is rewarding especially to see students embarking on a new career and watch them grow and develop as they progress toward success in achieving their educational goals.

The physical structure and location of the workplace is absolutely breathtaking year around in all seasons.
Pros
Everyone encourages and supports one another while engaging the Mission.
Cons
Organizational change creates it's challenges in job outlook; like, advancement, security, compensation, etc.
American Univrsity
Campus Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2017
The schools closed a few months after I started. I feel the transition and communication to the students and employees could have been better handled.
Terrible Place to Work
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 20, 2017
Didn't enjoy time working/teaching here. The upper level management didn't appear to be interested in providing quality education, but more in collecting the federal funds they rec'd for students who they knew were high risk and would more than likely not stay enrolled.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Experience: Priceless
Director of Health Science Education/ Faculty (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 6, 2017
Hardest part of job: Overseeing 5 programs without an assistant while teaching 4-13 classes a term. No compensation.

Faculty +++
Pay lowest in area
Pros
Faculty and students great
Cons
No compensation, no OT paid, benefits expensive, very low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMERICAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight