American National Employee Reviews

Stable Insurance company with opportunities in several areas.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 3, 2018
The company is working to rebrand, renovate and become more employee-oriented but still lacking in several areas. Benefits are high-priced considering they're provided by the parent company, but the coverage is decent. The company does okay, but is nowhere near the larger insurance companies and often promote based on popularity instead of skill.
Pros
Corporate discounts, on-site deli, tuition reimbursement, wellness program, outdoor walking track
Great pay and experience >> but the coworkers...
Health Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  League City, TXApril 24, 2018
American National offers great pay for the positions and the benefits are excellent. There are great perks as long as you can push through the awful employees that have been there for 15+ years and want nothing to do with the young newbies that are becoming employed.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Hours
Cons
Senior staff, management
Great Company
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 18, 2018
They allowed me to begin my career in sales. The great compensation package, trips, and great monthly perks within the office.

The downfall for me was the low hourly pay and how the manager I was working with didn't help me with some issues I had. Other than that I would recommend the organization.
Wonderful and innovative employer
INDEPENDENT COMMERCIAL RISK SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2018
I can't say anything bad about the company. I work for an independent agent who is truly amazing not only in leadership, but personal development as well. I look forward to using the skills I have learned to further whatever company I have the opportunity to work for.
Overall, okay
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
very out dated company, poor quality of health benefits, lack of career growth, two managers within 1 year and they were both very poor quality.

not a place to work for an extended period of time
awesome place to work for
Receptionist/Sales marketing manager (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDAugust 21, 2018
I did several jobs. Helping clients, quoting, making payment and verifying all documents for the file. The management is great and very helpful with teaching their systems
Pros
family oriented company
Cons
no healthcare
Poor Management
Health Commissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 10, 2018
Job gets overwhelming. Poor management and no training. Management has favorites in department and seems to pile work on people that are already stressed out.
Pros
Hours, Cafeteria, Time off
Cons
Health Insurance, No Management Training
Excellent co-workers
Adninistrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  League City, TXApril 7, 2017
As an Administrative Assistant my job is different everyday. I have learned to work with many types of software, handle daily crisis, and work as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job is providing help for the team in my department to help them do the best job they can do. The hardest part of my job is trying to get all my work done without going overtime.

I have been disappointed in the management style of the company.
The company states they are trying to make changes but the managers who have been with the company for 30 years are still managing people like they did 30 years ago.
Pros
Excellent Co-Workers
Cons
Poor management style tolerated, poor health benefits
Associate Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 23, 2018
Plenty of room for advancement opportunities. If insurance is where you want to go, this is the place. Opportunities for gettin certified and licensed to sell insurance and then some.
a fast pace company with plenty of room for growth and opportunities to learn.
Collector / Paralegal / Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company a great deal as I started from the ground up and became one of the top sellers and paralegals in the company. I enjoyed both the collection side and the legal side of the business and became one of the top collectors and salespersons in the company. My salary grew with my expertise and I begin to consider my co-workers as my family. I was heartbroken when the company had to close as my boss retired.
Pros
The Learning Experience is offered to me
Cons
inadequate benefits and Company closure
Pros and Cons
IT Account Manager/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 6, 2016
There are no benefits such as 401k and health insurance and pay is really low. The owners expect you to not talk about politics (as in any place, right) yet they do it. The company has been around for 20 years. I would not recommend working here as job stability is an issue. Many worry about job security.
Pros
All of the office is great to work with including the offshore recruiters
Cons
no healthcare, benefits and low pay. (pay rate is a joke)
Good atmosphere and training tools with lots of flexibility,but needs better pay structure especially for their agents
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 7, 2017
American National is one of biggest and longest established companies in the Life and Health insurance business. However I believe if they awarded their agents with better pay and benefits they would have better moral in the work place ,rapidly grow and advance in this industry.
Pros
Flexible/ be your own boss
Cons
Pay structure, cost of benefits
Worst experience
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  usaMay 17, 2018
Talk about your typical captive carrier that doesn't care about their agents and clients, and has terrible products. I would never recommend anyone to work here, and there new agent program is terrible it looks appealing at first but behind the scene, there is a 90% failure rate.
Program has a lot of issues to work out
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 15, 2015
The internship was a waste of time. The compensation was good. But the management was new and didn't have a lot of answers or guidelines for us in starting our agencies.
Pros
Compensation during internship
Cons
Lots of managers that don't have any answers
Cmpetitive work enviornment
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2017
If you can sell insurance and also manage accounts simultaneously on a day to day bases this job is perfect for you. Management create a competitive environment to encourage a higher production in sales and a lower production of lapses
Pros
You'll make a great living
Cons
The job can be a bit stressful due to meeting all of the quarters every month at close out.
Terrific company - first rate!
Owner/Founder, Bren Insurance Agency LLC (Current Employee) –  Kingston, WAMarch 8, 2018
This company has been a gift to me - lot's of support and training and great people to work with! I did not expect them also to have great customer service and technical support.
Pros
Great tools
Cons
I don't get to see enough people on a regular basis
Nice People. Poor pay and management
Claims (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 31, 2018
Most of the low level and non management employees were great. Many department/area managers are good. Senior Management was poor and pay was exceptionally poor compared to industry.
Productive workplace and learning environment
Financial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 19, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working with American National. It was a great learning experience and allowed me to quickly broaden my knowledge of the insurance industry. A typical day included basic office duties such as composing company invoices, scheduling various appointments, putting together quotes for customers, meeting with clients, sending e-mails regularly, and also maintaining a library of marketing and networking materials. The management guidance that I received was direct and allowed me to work independently on my own schedule, which is my preference. My co-workers were helpful and professional. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the plethora of networking opportunities and event planning avenues that I was able to explore through coordinating car shows and various other promotional events. The most difficult yet also most rewarding component of the job was overcoming objectives and turning them into positive reactions.
Poor
Agent (Current Employee) –  League City, TXMarch 29, 2018
No direct support. No office to work from. They do provide a weeks training in Houston but after that you are on your own. This job requires you to drive a lot.
American National
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 23, 2018
The job as and insurance agent could be challenging however i don't recommend this job to anyone unless they expect to have high millage on there cars.