AMERICAN ORTHODONTICS Employee Reviews

Everything you need to know about AO!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 18, 2018
This company makes great products and has good customer relations. BUT Avoid employment on the production floor like the plague. A lower paying company in the area starting at 14. You’ll look forward to that 10 cent raise a year.

Production management has a track record for walking out or suspending everyone who’s ever had constructive criticism against the management team. Thus making it impossible to approach or improve conditions.

This place is ideal for you if you a like laid back environment where the supervisors have no idea what you’re doing, if you love to go to the bathroom 10 times a day, come 30 mins late from breaks, love being tricked or lied to, make 3 times a humanly possible production rate without raising suspicion and still get praises from your supervisor.

A easy transitional job right after High school because it’s ran like a sorority. Where the only thing the managers know how to manage are statistics off their computers.

Majority of the team members here are new because everyone understands this is a job you throw on your resume and get out.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Bad management
Poor Decisions
Production (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMay 22, 2018
Management throws everyone for a loop and does things on a whim. Could use better management and say what you mean and do what you say. There should be very little grey area for discipline and stop protecting people when they have done wrong.
productive work place
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIApril 17, 2018
a typical work day is very fast paced. the hardest part of my job is dealing with people that don't have the same work ethic. i have learned so much about what it takes to work in a factory
Pros
clean and organtized
Cons
they do not give you a fair shot to change shifts
Ok place to work at.
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIFebruary 26, 2018
Its an ok place. If you don’t like a sitting postions you will not like this job. It is very detailed as well, as you are working with tiny brakets. Great benefits.
Sad I got let go!
SEEK Assembly Associate (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIFebruary 22, 2018
As an assembly worker, I was required to meet a quota of parts assembled per day (I don't recall the amount, as I haven't worked there in two years now). The people I worked with were nice to talk to and the work wasn't very stressful. I even got to sit all day, which was a huge upgrade from my previous jobs which required me to stand for a full shift! Would I have been hired full-time off of temporary service, I would have gotten a number of wonderful benefits (such as a stellar healthcare plan and profit sharing) that really made it worth the effort for the long commute I had.

Not to mention I've never had a workplace since that offered THREE breaks! Having a 30 minute lunch was spectacular! The only thing I didn't like was having mandatory overtime ALL the time. I never ended up having a free Saturday morning!

I was let go due to a miscommunication with my Temporary agency over some time off. It was really sad, but it was my own fault for not making sure things were crystal clear between both parties.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Seated Work, Friendly Coworkers, 3 breaks, No Uniform, No Loud Machinery
Cons
Hourly Quota, No Music, Mandatory Overtime
terrible
Territory Business Manager in the Orthodontic (Current Employee) –  USAJanuary 8, 2018
Male dominated culture where men get paid more and are given more. Terrible training and awful management. Things are wrong with their brackets and they don't pay attention
QUALITY CONTROL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WI 53081December 30, 2017
American Orthodontics is a neat and organizing environment. It ensures quality products worldwide for it's consumers. Also gives its' employees a chance to learn many new things.
not very friendly workplace
direct bonder (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIDecember 1, 2017
This is a nice place to work however the mandatory overtime is the negative side of this job. Some people have children and cant do 10-12 hr shifts. And to be hired on you have to do second shift, which is something I couldnt do.
Pros
sitting job
Cons
mandatory overtime
Interesting
Mim operation (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 23, 2017
Many interesting jobs to explore. Many different walks of life. Something for everyone to get into. Different skill levels to meet different requirements.
Clean and Great Environment.
PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJuly 21, 2017
Very clean place to work. Great teamwork environment and great people to work with. Laid back atmosphere but everyone does what they need to do to get the job done.
My experience
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJune 15, 2017
My department was fairly easy for the most part because of my co workers and the job itself was fairly simple for the most part, however too often do you find yourself doing other departments work when in return no one really helps out with your departments work. Coordinators are there to oversee the departments but they themselves re often clueless as to what goes on in the department which usually results in them making a decision that would have a negative impact on the workers.
It's a clean n great environment. Production is good.
Finish Welder (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIApril 19, 2017
It's a light work duty. I learned how to pull doctors orders, tack weld and finish weld buccal tubes, brackets and lingual sheaths on bands. There are great coworkers. Everyone is friendly and welcoming too.
Pros
Good benefits and clean environment
Cons
Highly Professional Company to work for.
SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMarch 13, 2017
Starting from day one working with American Orthodontics I was always impressed by the way they took care of there employees. From the training they offered not only at the beginning of my career but throughout my entire tender with them. This company was deeply committed in developing and developing there employees so they knew thoroughly there products as well as competitors products and education was a driving force in there success.
Pros
Always educating there employees
Day & a life/Detailing products
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIFebruary 21, 2017
Typical day for me usually began at 8:30am with an appt. with a doctor/staff member detailing products or new findings in the industry. Usually see about 6 acct/day. I also have a lunch scheduled with a doctor every day. During the day there could be opportunities that arise that need to be addressed. From needing an order to locating an order that has not arrived to the office. I also like being a problem solver in the office as well. What I've learned is that you have to be very chameleon and even if you have a plan when you walk into an office, you need to be prepared for your presentation to go off plan. I love working with the other reps. Communicating success stories and sharing info with each other.
Pros
The people I served and the products.
Cons
1st level managemant- Regional Mgmt.
A very organized company. Very specific verifications and importance.
Bonder (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day at work consists of completing an average of 5-8 work orders, depending on if the work order number calls for the full 1,000 parts or not, or if the traveler for the order you grab is an incomplete order so your only required to fill the 126, or the 504 parts required to complete the order. By filling, I mean shaking these brackets onto carbon plates to prepare for the orientation of these brackets to turn and face the dimple, or the I.D line on one of four thai wings defining the bevel to orient to the opposite of the gingival side of the plate. There are 126 parts per plate. Each plate requires a second plate of pads to bond with the brackets with the vacuum seal and brazing furnace after the work order for that specific cell is tacked with a ball hook and then pasted together by ball hook and bracket. I got to learn the importance of braces, and how the torque of the base defines the movement of a specific tooth to turn mesial or distal, or move facial or lingual depending on the needs of that patient. I learned to appreciate proper inspections of every lot number of parts for various differences in work orders given from the patients doctor. A conformed work place with some conversation, but proper communication is required within the process of the work order for precise reaching of the work order needs. A fairly busy management. The hardest part of the job was keeping track and records of all the parts you use and making sure material is issued and returned properly by what the traveler requires for that DB bracket and DB pad and reporting scrap due to possible  more... mixed parts or dropped parts, and deformed parts due to a pink slip to that lot number. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able work independently while working efficiently with problem solving capabilities and confidence in proper completion of work orders for filling the travelers for your assigned cell.  less
Pros
Sit down work day. Proper training for terminology of the mouth and teeth, and the variations of brackets and pads containing a difference in slot change and torque.
Cons
Mandatory 55 hours a week, piece rate per hour was out of range for a speedy reacing of the rate, hired on employees make 14 an hour
Everything Wrong
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  American OrthodonticsDecember 4, 2016
The company is trying to save on cost and taxes by staying under certian tax bracket, which means limited number of employees. They shut down 3rd shift, layed off a lot of people, and went into mandatory overtime for over 6 years. 60-70% of original work force has quit. Majority of team mates are Temporary or Newly Hired.

On a Marketing aspect they see growth, but on a production level the cogs are running backwards. Problems start with Management. Massive favortisim between certian employees and supervisors. Production managers cant handle issues and conflicts. If you bring them a legitimate situation, they'll be mad with YOU. They dont want to deal with anything. Bad communication, no sense of responsibities, everyone for themselves.

Example1: A work order is behind and nearly overdue. 1st Shift Supervisor approches you and informs you. Then says, Its now 2nd shift's problem. That YOU must inform your team. IF it dosn't get done on time, then, it's personally YOUR fault.

1) Teamwork? Supervisor knew, why didnt 1st shift get a start.
2) Why does team member have to inform everyone. Supervisor, It's YOUR job.
3) Work order looks like it's not going to get done, Supervisor is looking for someone to take the fall.

Example2: Supervisor says that you have bad communication for not letting the team know you werent working in the department that week. There was mass confusion on who's covering the position. The fallowing week another team member goes absent. The team comes to you for answers.

1) Yes. I suppose you could help by letting the team know of your absence,
  more... BUT, Supervisior knew you were leaving that week.
2) Not team member's job to coordinate who going to cover position
3) Not team member's job to let everyone know if others are sick
4) The Supervisor should be the first to know if people are absent.
Pros
Simple work, good benifits
Cons
Bad Management, Bad Communication, Uncoordinated
Manufactured and Distrubed braces for local and global orthodontists
Self-Ligation (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMay 22, 2016
Assembled, laser, and laser cutting parts on third shift
Learned the production process of how braces were made
My co-workers were a joy to work with, made the work day pleasant
They held monthly town hall meetings to inform employees what the sales are
Honestly the only hard part of the job was being on third shift
Great place to work at. I just couldn't work 50+ hours a week.
tacker (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMarch 9, 2016
It was fun. Amazing people I worked with. I learned that helping make braces wasn't all that simple and easy. There are so many different kind. You have to look at the shapes and sizes. Paste it right and add ball hooks. Measure when applying the ball hook. The hardest part of the job was that the parts were so small, which caused my eyes to be dry and hurt. Plus working 10 hours M-F then sometimes 4-8 hours on Saturdays were just a little too much. Also, adding school to that was hard.
Great benefits
Elastics (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIFebruary 12, 2016
Great Benefits when I was there, family orientated and very clean work environment. Large new building and facilities.
Pros
Nice, New building
Cons
Long walk to break areas
Successful
Associate (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WISeptember 19, 2015
Very fast paste, great management. Team work 100%.
Professional service shipping world wide on a daily routine. I'm happy to be an employee at AO.