American Printing House For The Blind Employee Reviews

Looks great on paper but not so much in real life.
Lead (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 28, 2018
While it is a great cause, working for this company is another story. Pay is well below industry average for almost every department, turn over is incredibly high but they boast about their long term employees. The benefits are also subpar. PTO was decent though.

There is absolutely no room for growth or opportunity within the company itself. Each department runs without any care or concern of the other departments, each department has a completely different dress code, mindset, rule book, and no two departments are on the same page, ever. Getting anything done is like turning water into wine, the hoops you have to jump through were ridiculous!! It is a very toxic environment within the office, the production employees all seem to be happy and secure though. They seem to be treated very well but that doesn’t appear to be so elsewhere.

The cafeteria is really good, great choices every day!
Pros
Decent PTO, every other Friday off, casual dress code
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Toxic work environment
Great mission, passionate staff, high turnover in Development Dept.
Director of Grants (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 11, 2018
In the five years the current Vice President of Development has been in office, he has fired four staff members, two staff members changed departments, three other people quit before hitting the two year mark, and 2 Americorps Vista volunteers quit before making their one year commitment. In a development office of no more than five positions at a time this is high turnover. It lacks a team or collaborative environment. It is either the VP's direcion or the highway (without team input) - all too many people walk. Having said that the mission of APH as a whole is a good and many staff are passionate about their jobs which makes it amazing.
Many different kinds of work at aph
EDUCATIONAL AIDS PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 31, 2018
Very productive and fast paced workplace. The work varies greatly depending on the department. The job requires the operation of many machines and a lot of standing. The company has nice employee dinners at christmas and in july, and offers alot of vacation time based on years of service.
Pros
Good at vacation time and holiday pay
Cons
Alot of mandatory overtime is sometimes required
Great atmosphere
Large Type Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 21, 2018
I thought that they were very nice and I liked the old school way they did things with progressive thinking as well. It would be a great opportunity if you get to work there they teach you a lot about the disability of being blind.
Bench Tech
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 6, 2018
This was my first electronic tech job . I wasn't there for long before I moved on to bigger and better things . My supervisor was very nice and helpful to someone who was just breaking in to the business
Pros
It was a great start
Not a good example
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 9, 2018
I am not a good example of someone who worked here because I was only temporary. Lots of important work being done here. I enjoyed my time here but they didn't pay me so I don't know anything about benefits.
Productive and a fun place for advancement
Braille transcriber (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 22, 2017
Working at the printing house was very good and interesting learning another language such Braille was very rewarding because the end product was books that gives a child a chance to learn like sighted children
Pros
Learning every day changes by minute
Cons
To many rules
Grudgingly and respectfully turned down job offer
Executive (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 18, 2017
Needless to say, I was very impressed with their interviewing and hiring process, not so much with the HR representitive who came from a car dealership and still had that chip on her shoulder.
The culture is old-school and based on performance. Relationships are important and getting teams working together towards organization goals successfully are revered.
Benefits are acceptable, pay is below par; but both have not kept up with the times, even for a non-profit. Job satisfaction is high for those who join the organization for the right reasons, i.e. making a difference and helping those in need.
I would love the opportunity to go back and work at APH, if their pay and benefit package was restructured. Perhaps, it is asking for too much, but one can dream, right?
Pros
Great cause and meaningful work, Decent culture, Superb Human Resources VP, Cutting-edge technology
Cons
Benefits package, including salary scale
Good workplace, low pay
Programmer I (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 19, 2016
The environment and the people are very nice. Everyone works for a very good cause and the products are indeed catered per the needs of the clients. The pay is not so competitive as it is a non-profit organization.
APH is a non-profit company
Support Specialist - Field Services (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 12, 2016
I have the pleasure of working with the Ex Officio Trustees who manage accounts for the Federal Quota Program in each of the United States and our territories. This has been a great opportunity to hone my communication and training skills.
Interesting people doing interesting work, if you're a bookworm
Audio book editor, Proofreader (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 22, 2015
I loved this job, which is why I did it for so long, and why I went back to it after taking a year and a half break. I like books and the basics of the job are reading and comprehending narration, researching foreign language, and paying attention. Some people would rather die than read for 8 hours a day. I liked it a lot. Especially when I got to read something good!

The communication of management left something to be desired, however. Training was scanty. Most people learn the job by their own wits, which can be a little frustrating until you get the hang of it. There was also a fine line between the pressure to get books out the door and being as thorough a proofreader (or listener) as one could be. There was a bit of a disconnect about this on management's part.
Pros
Every other Friday off, sometimes got a good book to read/listen to
Cons
Ill communication, no method to evaluation of your work
Great place to work.
Software Engineer/Contractor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 18, 2015
Always interesting projects to work on.

Was ecstatic when we adopted Agile and Scrums...

Great people to work with. Innovative, wonderful environment.
Very Nice place to work!
manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 2, 2013
First and foremost- I love my Job! My day starts out getting the things ready to start my day. Such as- Making sure the ink is mixed and ready to go on the press. The management is the greatest, I have one co- worker that works with me and we have great communication, When we have to go to the production floor, the work is a little harder, more lifting and packaging. I love my job and the people I work with, it is a very good job. The most enjoyable thing about my job is, We laugh, we communicate and I feel like I'm helping someone in need everyday.
Pros
the surprises the management gives. we got mid size manufacturer of the year So we got a free luch..
Cons
Our Healthcare plan could be a little better, but who's couldn't