American Psychological Association Employee Reviews

good job here
Adminstrative Assistant (marketing) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2018
Best company in the district right now! The environment here is amazing and everyone is space out to work independently. Everyday theres something to do.
Fun and relaxed, but can be slow and unfair
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2017
The company generally tries to take care of its employees, but individual departments can be pretty isolated and move at different paces. If you're happy working 9-5 and slowly growing into a role, its a good place.
Pros
Fairly frequent food, good benefits
Cons
Slow, boring, repetitive
Good work place
Programmer/ Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 5, 2017
Good work/life balance. The work week is typically 37.5 hours and you have the option to telework. Management cares about employee morale and they have team building activities.
Pros
Good work culture and insurance
Cons
The conferences are busy
Productive and results driven research workplace
Researcher/Research Assistant/Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 1, 2017
I was simply a lab associate, only associated with school. As such, I don't have too much to offer in terms of actual experience within the actual association. However, the school was a valuable workplace, primarily for experiential learning.
Non profit sleepy culture
Manager Inside Sales and Licensing Operations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2017
As a non-profit the culture was not geared at profits but the work of establishing psychology as a science. The organization had many stakeholders to appease and these included membership and a declining print customer base.
A great place to work
Member (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2017
Excellent place to work the culture is balanced, fed back is always positive, the management always supportive, and the salary is perfect, however; the days are long and the work can be stressful at times.
Pros
People you come into contact with
Diverse workplace
Summer Internal Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 10, 2017
I learned so much working at this company and i will continue to recommend others in the psychology and social work field to go ahead and apply to APA
Great staff, upward mobility
Human Resources Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2017
I started here as a temporary secretary, and ended up staying 14 years in various positions. Although this was quite a while ago, I enjoyed the HR staff and learned a lot.
Great place to grow professionally.
Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2017
APA is an excellent place to work. Staff is diversified ethnically and very professional. It promotes a healthy work environment. Great emp. benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Promotion Potential for Uncredentialed Employees
Fun place
IT (Former Employee) –  DCJuly 21, 2017
I enjoyed working there. It was fun place to work. The most interesting part of the job was the people. I learned a lot through working at APA. It was one of the most interesting places to work at.

Want to know more about American Psychological Association?

Ask a question
Mind/Body Wellness was stressed here!
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2017
Overall, the APA was a fantastic place to work. I loved the different classes they offered their employees (yoga, Tai Chi, Zumba, etc.) and unlimited access to the gym. On the flip side, offices were small in number (2-3 employees) so very stressful at times.
Pros
Mind/Body wellness on the surface, great wellness classes
Cons
small offices, overworked, company financial issues
Great Place to work
Billing and Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2017
Great place to work. I learned a lot here and had an amazingly nice boss. This was my first time living in the DMV area and the job was located in a great location and my co workers were very friendly
Professional Association
Communications and Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2017
Promotes work well-being with employee initiatives. However, disconnect between management and staff needs. There have been recent series of reduction in work force.
Nice workplace.
Senior Mail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2017
Nice place to work. A very good organization to work for. Really enjoyed being a part of the organization. I worked with some great people at APA. A great place to work.
Pros
Hour lunch
Non-profit with compensation problems
Manager of Marketing & Sales/Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2017
It was a great early-career stepping stone and I learned a great deal about how to negotiate a position between multiple departments. Their publication department has strong content but isn't willing to invest in analytical marketing.
Healthy Place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2017
This company has good benefits for employees including 2 on site gyms, seated upper back massages, exercise classes and more. The gyms are free and the classes are offered at a discounted rate.
Play games
Cash Receipt Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 28, 2017
A typical day at American Psychological Association was very busy
for me i was a cash receipt technical ,service center would bring me
batches of work for me to processed. What i learned most is how the finance department runs. The work place was good. The hardest
part of my job was the different soft ware i taught my self. I enjoy
my co-workers, i liked my work. Over all i liked working for APA.
Management was sometimes unfair they had their picks.
Pros
Somtimes
Cons
Short breaks somes
Beware of this place
Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2017
The EMT is composed of whites and jews with little diversity in management. Most of the "diverse" staff are in low end roles as administrative assistants or mail room clerks. They have a "pay scale" where you must provide deficiencies so employees are not given annual pay increases. I was there for 11 years and they should have been cited for EEO violations
Pros
Great health care
Cons
Bad people
Forging Ahead to Fulfill our Mission
Manager, Books & Special Sales (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2015
It is fantastic to be able to literally help improve people's lives and/or piece of mind through the sale of the highest-quality books in clinical and research psychology and children's psychology. Our new partnership with the Children's Cancer Network about the backlist APA title "Living With Childhood Cancer" means that every new parent that uses their service will receive a free copy of a book that will help them through their difficult journey. Being able to be a part of that has been fantastic.
Full of fun.
Front End Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2015
Great Company to work for. It's at prime location. Benefits is excellent. I joined here recently and already love the work I am doing. Good team to be with.