American Queen Steamboat Company Employee Reviews

Over worked is a understatement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 2, 2018
Absolutely the worst company I've worked for. The dining room staff was never fully staffed. Management was horrible and does not care about your well being. Every man for him self dog eat dog
Pros
good pay but i know it was something i wasn't getting
Cons
not a ideal job. it's this job and nothing else
Amazing company
Trade Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INJuly 25, 2018
I worked remotely and I loved it.

I highly recommend this company to anyone looking to get into this field. The culture is great and everything about being a part of the team was great.
Don’t bother if you’re serious about your job.
Cook (Former Employee) –  MississippiJune 9, 2018
If you’re just looking at the job to make some quick cash and be gone, it might be ok. If you’re serious about your job, don’t waste your time. It’s a nursing home on the water, the food is trash ( both in quality and in execution, for guests and staff.) management is there to socialize and evade responsibility. They threaten their employees with their jobs repeatedly. And there is zero life/work balance. If you can get off the boat for a night/afternoon , you’re lucky. They say six weeks on two weeks off, but they’re lying. HR is a joke, the only issues they report on are the issues coming from managers. Good luck to anyone who’s on the Mississippi River with this company.
Pros
The pay
Cons
All aspects outside of pay.
Fast-paced place to work, but rewarding.
Executive Assistant and Manager, Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 16, 2018
AQSC has a fabulous company culture. Management has a unique and laid-back style, yet expect their employees to tow the line. The crewmembers on all boats are AMAZING examples of how to treat river-faring customers
Pros
Could wear jeans to work daily.
Cons
Extremely heavy workflow often resulted in long hours.
travel and make money
Assistant Chief Steward (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 26, 2018
Nice Place to Work if you do not have kids or spouse easy to save money you get to see different cites and meet wonderful people from all over the world
Pros
free room and board
Cons
upper management do not value employees no job security for most
Good food and meet lots of people
Jr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Albany, IN 47150February 27, 2018
Working on the boat is quite an adventure. It provides three meals a day and a place to sleep. You get to see lots of scenery along the rivers and meet different people from all over the world. Managers are kind and considerate and ready to answer any questions you may have. The hardest part of this job is being away from home six weeks at a time.
Pros
meals
Cons
away from home
Deckhand / Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 27, 2018
American Queen is a good place to work my coworkers was very nice and management was also yes very good place to work it's like being with family I have nothing but good things to say about The American Queen Steam Boat Company
Awful Management, Good Pay
Reservations Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INFebruary 12, 2018
Horrible management from top to bottom. Bad business decisions, very little intradepartmental communication (even though management is constantly unreachable due to being in meetings), and all blame gets shoved downwards. Good pay, but still not worth it for the mental health risk that this job is.
Unnecessary stress, cut throat
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 9, 2018
Favoritism is big in deck dept. Some guys work their butts off while others do nothing or lack the will or experience but get paid the same as the hard workers.Management only backs certain employees.Cut throat city.BEWARE
Pros
Nothing but promises
Cons
enjoyable. good company with benefits
HOUSEKEEPING ATTENDANT AND PORTER (Former Employee) –  american empress wa usaJanuary 15, 2018
be responsible ,respectful,interesting job.nice people to work with.short good working schedule. 6 to 8 weeks on and 2 weeks off.wonderful and nice places to go
Pros
free meals
Very fast paced, boat culture
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 26, 2017
If deciding to work on a steamboat cruise ship, take into consideration that you will work a 6 week rotation without a "day off". So that will be at least 42 days with coworkers. That being said you also have a two week break after each rotation. You do get free meals from the galley/cooking staff. If you are looking to save alot of money, this is for you. I don't recommend it if you have small children and pets due to the fact that you will be away from home for long periods of time.
Fun to work on a vessel
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 16, 2017
I am grateful I got to work for this company. I got to travel and learn how to live onboard a boat for the first time. I am thankful this job taught enhanced my customer service skills.
most crew members are fun to work with
Relief Maître D/Head Waiter (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2017
Ship life is not for everyone. This boat was a little older and did not have the perks and accommodations that a cruise ship would have. The people are nice and it is still a great places to make vacation memories for guests.
Poor Environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 6, 2017
The crew is constantly getting drunk and high in the crew hold, or on shore prior to shift. We had multiple accidents related to alcohol during my time there
living on a boat
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 30, 2017
the hardest thing is adjusting to living at work in a small room with a coworker you don't know for 6 weeks at a time while trying to learn the job that you applied for
Unfair treatment during training for purser positions
Purser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2017
I have no problem with the workplace culture whatsoever. The problem started when I realized that I was expected to know already how to deal with Excel and MXP software programs. The trainer(s) began to lose patience and began proceedings to have me terminated just as I finally caught on to the overall plan of operations..
The trainers began to write me up for nitpicky reasons which I corrected on the spot. One of them admitted to the personnel director on board that they (the company) had made a mistake in hiring me in the first place since the job description never gave any requirements to have a working knowledge of those two computer programs in the first place.
Aside from having to work with a trainer who had a hidden agenda, the AQ had a great working atmosphere with genuinely good staff from the Captain all the way to engine room personnel.
It would behoove the main human resource personnel to investigate such training personnel to catch them at their own game.
In the meantime, the AQSC has lost a very good staff person who possessed all the fine qualities deemed necessary in a purser. How do I know this? Because of the praise I received from passengers and many onboard crew members. They could all see what was happening to me during my time spent in that position.
Pros
Good food, wonderful camaraderie, beautiful atmosphere
Cons
Poor on job training with little or no compassion from fellow workers.
Overall it's a good place to work you can put away money
Waiter (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INNovember 14, 2017
The upside is you don't have to spend any money for food etc. The downside is you don't get to see your family enough. The six weeks on two weeks off is okay if your single but for a family man it can be rough.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not enough time off while working
great steamboat
Assistant Waiter (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 14, 2017
the average work day was very high paced and somewhat stressful but very rewarding due to the fantastic passengers who we as a staff were giving great customer service too. The atmosphere within the employees was upbeat and positive.
Pros
travel, meeting great passengers
No concerns
Reservations Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  New Albany, IN 47150October 31, 2017
My experience with this company has been nothing but good. also, I'm only writing this because I couldn't update my resume without doing so. I would recommend working and growing with this company.
Fun and sometime stressful, but always enjoyable.
River Boat Butler (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2017
Meeting a diverse culture of people and catering to their needs.While working as a team with my co-workers and balancing real life away from my family.
Pros
Free meals and travel/transportation.
Cons
Good healthcare, 401k, and vacation time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Queen Steamboat Company. Our community is ready to answer.

American Queen Steamboat Company Reviews by Location