American Railcar Industries Employee Reviews

good job
PRESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOOctober 10, 2018
good place to work with good benefits. with a growing family I found it difficult to work nights at times but still managed.. would recomeend working here if given the opportunity.
Pros
breaks and laid back
Cons
shift work
dirty and hot
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Marmaduke, ARSeptember 25, 2018
the pay is good but some of the boss will stab you in the back.alot of the people who work out there are to faced people they will lay about you to get ahead
Very productive
Machine Operator,welder (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOSeptember 2, 2018
ARI is a productive place to work. I liked that it was fast paced and friendly work environment, I also liked the hours and days that was worked. I also liked the overtime.
Welder/Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Marmaduke, ARJuly 28, 2018
It usually was a good day tell I had to grind the shells. Lunch breaks were pretty good.i loved the job the people were awesome and they were always willing to teach you if you are wanting to learn.
Good building skills
Welder 2 (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJuly 24, 2018
I learned how to build rail cars from scratch. Good place to work I loved the people didn't want to leave there bit I had to for family reasons. I really liked that place
this job is a back breaking bias employer
Final Assembly (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJuly 17, 2018
They work you like slaves, cut no breaks on points, have very poor upper management. people that work the hardest get over worked and taken advantage of.
Pros
pay
Cons
lots of issues
Productive work place it gets verry hot
Welder (Current Employee) –  Kennett, MOJuly 10, 2018
It gets very hot in the summer time lots of welding team work is a plus with no team work your job will be a lot harder upper management are some great people great people to work for
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Short breaks 30 min. Lunch
welder
Welder Level III (Former Employee) –  Marmaduke, ARJuly 5, 2018
IN the short 6 month period i worked there i was trained for many positions on my line. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I was doing something different every day as i filled in for anyone that called in.
Pros
exciting to be a part of fabricating rail cars and i love welding
Cons
very little time with my family
Humiliating
welder (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJune 30, 2018
Once released from welding school... I was just thrown to the wolves. No help at all. I even witnessed a few of the workers standing back laughing including my lead person. I think that it would help for the Lead person to be trained on how to lead. I felt as though I was tormented as a woman up until the day I decided no more.
Pros
Cons
the environment, and management
Stressful and very hot place to work. Does not have a lot of possibilities to move up.
Welder/Fabricator; Operator (Current Employee) –  Paragould, ARJune 25, 2018
Favoritism is a serious problem. They are willing to work with you on very serious family emergencies but when it comes to personal health, the individual does not matter. I have been out here throwing my guts up every five minutes but was threatened with the loss of my job or a write up if I went home to get the rest I needed. In a hot and stressful place like this, it is not recommended to work in such conditions with a sickness any more serious than a seasonal cough.
Pros
Plenty of paid days off for Holidays
Cons
Poor management. Favoritism. Low possibility to move up.
Unique job for people interested in manufacturing/welding
Lead man (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJune 12, 2018
Work is hard, often hot (especially in the summer), and can be dirty. If you do your job, do it right the first time everything is great, and there are opportunities for bonuses. Good performance is recognized, and can lead to advancement. Those willing to work more get opportunities to learn other areas/jobs.
Good Job
Welder/Repairman (Former Employee) –  Bude, MSMay 28, 2018
Love my job till I got injured nice easy going job da work not hard and teach yu how to weld and different things supervisors real cool and people are nice
Nice job good place to woek
Final Assembly (Former Employee) –  Goodrich, TXMay 3, 2018
Like the job and the work the employees were good to get along with .safety meeting before work every one assigned their task that and assemble rail cars.
Easy understanding of every day job requirements
Painter (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARMarch 29, 2018
Good company with good benefits clear job functions very strong on safety values downsides no set schedule as to when to start each day one day might be 14hrs and the next 8 hrs
Pros
Great pay and incentives
Cons
excessive long hours with no set schedule no start or end time
It’s a good place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Marmaduke, ARMarch 20, 2018
I enjoyed my job there and it was an easy job. I didn’t like the fact that the management team seemed to have no work ethics. I would still be there had I not been lied to
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of Work ethics
Furnace Operator
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Marmaduke, ARMarch 7, 2018
I ran the furnace at ARI. I would load the tanker cars, with a 50 ton crane, on a flat bed train system and move from station to station to put them in the furnace. I would then program the furnace to cook the tanker cars. After they finished cooking I would move them to the unloading station and use a 50 ton crane to unload them and put them on the next line. The people were fun. The place was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The hardest part of this job was the extreme temperatures. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pay.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Extreme temperatures
Very poorly ran company.
Tank Car Designer (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 5, 2018
Benefits are sub-par. Engineering management has been promoted into obsolescence. As ARI has tried to advance into 3D with NX and Teamcenter, management has not tried to learn the new programs. They have hired people who know how to use the programs, but then will not listen them. ARI's motto is, "Do it fast and wrong. We'll fix it later." They have a fast employee turn over.
good place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOMarch 5, 2018
i would recommend it to anyone thats is a hard worker and dedicated to their job. the upper management are great people. the start out par isnt bad and there is tons of opportunity to move up.
Clichy but fun
Machinist/Safety coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MOFebruary 18, 2018
Not a bad work environment but if management doesn’t like you, its a matter of time and your gone and they will work to get rid of you. I enjoyed working there and wasn’t ready to leave when I was terminated after 6 years of service. It’s best to remain obscure to last there for a while. They pay well and expect you to be there everyday your scheduled.
All in all not a bad experience I just wish it would’ve ended differently. Stay on all the bosses good sides.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Less than qualified supervisors
Hard work fast paced
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOFebruary 8, 2018
Management was good. Fast paced worked as many as 60 hours a week to as few as 40. Off on fridays- sunday unless volunteered or madatory overtime . Did something different almost every day.
Pros
Lived real close
Cons
Insurance wasnt that good and no production bonus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Railcar Industries. Our community is ready to answer.