American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Found 5,713 reviews matching the search See all 6,005 reviews
Phlebotomy Technician
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2019
I love the job, long hour work days but it is fun. The managers helped a lot and they also always made sure everything went well. I love the job it’s a great job to start your medical career in.
Pros
Cons
N/a
great place to volunteer and work
Customer Service / Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 15, 2019
great busy place with kind people donating plasma and blood. if you are in nursing field this would be a great place. if you have great customer service skills and know a bit about patient care your would be a great asset as well.
volunteer coordinator
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 13, 2019
Red Cross is such a good place to work/volunteer at. You can really see the importance of compassion there, they dedicate their lives in improving human conditions around the world, it makes you reflect as a person, and you end up asking yourself if "you are doing enough in helping others". I'm glad i am one of the volunteers who gives people hope.
good volunteering experience!
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 13, 2019
• Assisted with recruitment filing system and Applicant Tracking System (HRIS).
• Audited employee files; keeping them organized, up to date, and confidential.
• Assisted with the day to day operations of the HR Team.
• Assisted with training for managers.
• Attended and assisted with job fairs/special recruiting events.
• Maintained confidential information of employees.
It was a great place to work
Peer Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2019
It was an amazing job the environment , the co workers we just needed a better pay increase according to the cost of living in San Diego. The management team is amazing , well educated and supportive to their staff.
Productive work place
Volunteer Disaster Recovery Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 11, 2019
The American Red Cross work place was often times a fast paced, fun place to be. I worked as a volunteer along side others from all over the world that sought out to make a difference in the lives of those affected by a disaster.
Pros
Meeting great people and traveling
Cons
Seeing people that were affected by a disaster wonder what to do.
Fun workplace
Donor Collection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2019
Busy, fun and productive. Every day is a learning experience. Management can have a huge impact on our work day. Being positive and consistency. There is nothing really wrong about my job. Most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the team.
Pros
learning, working as a team
Cons
traveling sometimes
Great program collab with Ft Drum Army DENTAC
Dental Assistant Program (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYFebruary 10, 2019
If you're a dependent of an active duty military person and would like free training to become a dental assistant, this is the program for you. It is intense in the beginning but very beneficial in the end.
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canton, Akron, Cleveland, OhioFebruary 9, 2019
A typical day included teaching any where from 10-40 students in the classroom. Clinical experience I would have 8 students. I was allowed to run my classroom as I saw best. I was able to receive the supplies I needed. If there was a problem with a student the administration would back me. At times the hardest part was getting to the sites due to traffic and location.
Pros
Being backed by administration
Cons
Work place sitess
Great boss
Charge/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 8, 2019
It was a great environment with coworker that are still very much a part of my life. We got to travel and meet new people all of the time as well as build relationships with regular donors
Great place to utilize learned skills
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 7, 2019
Traveling mobile phlebotomist. Interviewed and screened potential donors, collected and maintained blood product integrity. Carefully labeling and separating plasma from whole blood in order to distribute to proper area facilities
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work
Medical Assistant /Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 7, 2019
Fun place to work. Pay was good. Benefits was good. Family atmosphere. Mangement could be better. Travel was okay. Loved the college blood drives. Great mission
See below
Chapter Executive Officer/Senior Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 5, 2019
Mornings were spent in meetings, as well as making telephone contact with companies and individuals for appointments; the afternoon was spent visiting these companies and individuals.
I learned that there were so many people who needed the services of
Red Cross to alleviate their suffering.
Management provided adequate educational support and opportunities.
The workplace culture was one of progressive interaction and innovative ideas.
The hardest part of the job was cultivating donors.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting high network individuals, and convincing them to join the cause.
Pros
Professional training
Cons
micro managing
ARC is a volunteer based organization
Administrative Assistant, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2019
ARC is a volunteer based organization and as such it's worker want to be there, They are in the business of saving lives. Therefore, a mutual goal oriented, team atmosphere is prominent.
Great team level, but atrocious upper management
Service to the Armed Forces Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 3, 2019
National leadership is a complete failure with no concern about the mission or the field. However, your team can be successful by focusing on the mission of helping people in spite of a disconnected and uncaring national headquarters.
Friendly staff
COLLECTIONS TECH II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 2, 2019
very busy days . Learned the language of caring. Enjoy working with all my coworkers. My team supervisor is very understanding. I love with talking with the donors.
Pros
donors are great to work with
Cons
between traveling to and from mobiles there isn't a lot a time for life in general.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 2, 2019
I participated in Sound the alarm campaign and found the work to be very rewarding knowing that I am making the lives of the people we served safer every day.
Physically demanding
Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 1, 2019
I didn't like working with a union. I felt like they only protected people who didn't do our job. Are union representative was more of a gossip than an advocate.
Mission of Company
Training Schedule Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 1, 2019
The company has gone through many changes. Some were much needed to move forward. But found that during all these changes we were every few years going through reorganization with jobs being streamlined and staffing reductions.

I believe in the Mission of the Organization and even though I had chosen not to reapply for my job would have loved to continue working with them.

Not many people understand what the American Red Cross is or what they do when responding to disasters. When I started with the company I had to be able to speak about what we did even though my department was more about saving lives.
Pros
Great Benefits Package
Cons
Constant Department Reorganization
Would not recommend
Collections (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 1, 2019
A company that cares more about benefiting themselves over their employees. "non-Profit" Union job, where employees are constantly pushed to the side. Only good thing about the job is the pay. If you don't want a life outside of work, and don't have kids, dogs/cats/ any animals, or any family that you would ever like to see, this job is perfect for you. Long hours, Overnight stays, travel in bad weather, stressful working conditions where blood drives are understaffed and have over presentation of donors, stress to the max!
Pros
high starting salary, or was at least when I started
Cons
Horrible work/life balance. Terrible hours and travel.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K
41.5K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight