American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Great culture
Recruitment Rep II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 24, 2018
Great place to work with wonderful people! I feel comfortable and appreciated. My manager is amazing and I love my team. This is a very dynamic organization but they truly want their employees to succeed.
My manager is great
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OhioApril 23, 2018
I enjoy my job because I got to go some place different every day. I never worked with the same people daily and the sites we went to I met some very interesting people.
Pros
Being able to go some place different daily
Cons
The long hours and not enough timr to do them all
Fulfilling, challenging and fun work environment
Disaster Services Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2018
If the salary had been better for a single person to live off of and if there had been more chances at career advancement, I most likely would have stayed forever. I felt like a valued team player and absolutely enjoyed every aspect of the job.
Fast Paced and Never boring
Community Response Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MS 39442April 22, 2018
Working for the American Red Cross was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life, yet also very stressful and frustrating. I was required not only to manage volunteers but to train those volunteers to respond to disasters, plus maintain and acquire community partnerships. The best part of the job was the camaraderie between the staff and the volunteers. We really enjoyed working together and that proved to make working disaster responses great experiences.
Pros
Close knit working relationships
Cons
Unrealistic expectations of management
good place to work
Technician II, Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 22, 2018
good place to work, clean environment
always paid extra when I worked swing and night shifts
even if it was only an hour into that shift.
Considerate of my work related needs.
productive and relaxed environment
American Red Cross Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 20, 2018
A typical day at work - data entry

What I learned - to help others during major or minor crisis

Management - was never enforced

Workplace culture - was fair and solemn

The hardest part of the job - advancement to move up and expand my knowledge

The most enjoyable part of the job - we were given an opportunity to help others in time of need
Satisfying
Volunteer/Disaster Responder (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 20, 2018
Working as a Red Cross volunteer is satisfying. It is a humbling experience and I feel everyone should take the time to assist others in time of need. Volunteers are provided with abundant training to assist with various jobs in time of a disaster.

I enjoyed working with Red Cross staff and fellow volunteers.
The hardest part of being a volunteer is leaving loved ones behind as you reach out and help others in their time of need.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making lasting relationships with those you are working with to make a difference in the lives of others that are going through a disaster or loss.
Pros
feel humble
Cons
some out of comfort situations that come with living with others you do not know
Clicky
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 20, 2018
Red Cross is a great company to work for especially starting out in phlebotomy, you can learn a lot there and the staff members are great. It's just an exciting job
Pros
The Dr.Anukum is Great!
really enjoyed working here
FLEET / TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  ArkansasApril 20, 2018
Loved my job, we all loved knowing we were helping people. too bad the blood services division was sold out to the competition, otherwise I would still be there.
Pros
good environment
Cons
sold out to competition
Would not recommmend
Service Agent I (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2018
This job would be an idea one if the management did not expect you to do the impossible. An example is making sure that people who say they will donate blood show up to do so.
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 19, 2018
Red Cross is an amazing organization to work with. Working environment is great. The office is very organized. the colleagues are very helpful. I enjoyed working in different projects.
No work life balance
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2018
I love my job. I love what I do....but this company is just like any other company. They care about money. Although donors give there platelets and plasma out of the goodness of there hearts. Its sold by this company. They harrass donors to come donate. While its employees are overworked and underpaid. You can put in for days off it gets denied constantly. Its all about money and stats which i understand its a business. Just treat the people that help run the business better...maybe the turn over wont be so high.
Pros
I genuinely believe im helping people.
Cons
No work life balance
A Wonderful and Humanitarian place to work with
On-call Responder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
When I first signed up to be a mass care worker, and on-call responder, my profile was given an extensive background check (which I passed with Flying Colors). After that, I met my advisor, who showed me the ropes of working in the Red Cross. He is a Great advisor. I can't place an emphasis on that that's high enough to show it. The training is rigorous and tough, but is never frustrating. And yes, you get to help the communities out in more ways than one, such as helping out after a fire in an apartment building (to which I've responded to 3 fires so far), a hurricane, during a vacate order (to which I've responded to 2 of), and, you get to help install smoke alarms in houses which do not have any. And we do it all for free, so the clients love us for that. Overall, if you want to have a career starter in health and relief work, the red cross is for you. Just be sure that you have the time for being on-call 24/7/365.
Pros
Everything is free
Cons
Being on-call for anything all the time
productive place to work
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 17, 2018
The American Red Cross teaches and in most cases express diversity among its work place and community.
The American Red Cross gave the opportunity for travel and a chance to cross train within the dept.
Pros
paid travel time
Cons
Had to work on every other Weekend.
company does a restructure about every two years and fires everyone below the level of CEO
Fleet and DAT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 17, 2018
worst place I ever worked. would not recommend ever. company likes to push people to get donations then spends the money on parties and events for volunteers and paid staff and not put the money back into the community
Pros
able to help those in need to a point
Cons
bad management, no FEMA cooperation, losing county support.
great job
Lead operation support clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 17, 2018
the days were great. great people to work with. a lot of fun and laughter. It felt like we were all family. We watched all of our kids grow up. It was a great place to work.
Pros
Family
Cons
Only paid buy guidelines
Flexibilidad con el trabajo
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicApril 16, 2018
Flexible con la ayuda al ser voluntaria, tenia buena relación con los demás voluntarios, facilidad a la hora de ir al trabajo y con el regreso a la casa igual.
Pros
Flexibilidad con el trabajo
Cons
ninguno
Great company to work for
EBDR System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 16, 2018
Great company to work for. Relaxing working atmosphere. Great management and outstanding coworkers. I would have retired there if not for the company layoff.
Pros
Relaxing atmosphere, flexible working hours
Cons
no advancement due to staff staying in positions
excellent donors
Collection Tech II (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARApril 16, 2018
My favorite job. The donors are upbeat and most staff are upbeat. The down fall were the hours, lack of pay, no time off and no paid sick days. If the pay and hours were better I would have stayed for a life time.
Pros
donors
Cons
pay, no time off
dont do it...
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 16, 2018
place is a mess. LOW LOW LOW wage. hard repetitive work. mandatory overtime. people who work there have NO professionalism. High turn over (very high). training was awful. lab was SO hot in summer. expect a lot but dont get anything in return

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
41.4K

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.4Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.