American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Found 5,592 reviews matching the search See all 5,885 reviews
Racial Bias exists in New Jersey Red Cross
CHIEF EXTERNAL RELATIONS OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 10, 2018
The organization has a diversity problem and there is no career structure for staff. Also creative energy is not liked in the organization; as far as the New Jersey Region.
Pros
The Mission
Cons
Racial Bias
I love traveling for my job
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 10, 2018
I am a team leader. I travel almost every day. I set up, supervise, and tear down blood drives. Management does not really follow the open door policy when problems arise. I love being a team leader and working with donors.
Great organization
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 9, 2018
Great energetic place to be for the most part you are treated as if you're family by most who volunteer or work there. You occasionally have a few bad seeds come through there but not many.
Could have been great
District Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 9, 2018
I quickly advanced in the company. My hard work and work ethics really payed off. I would have retired from this place but with all of the restructuring and changes, it became difficult to work here. The new management became abusive and hard to work with. One would think that a company where you had outstanding reviews every year would help with the situation, but HR was overwhelmed and didn’t have the time needed to respond to this. Eventually they got rid of the individual, but had lost some good people before that happened. I really loved my job, staff and donors.
Pros
Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
With HR cuts there was very little support for the staff
fun environment
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2018
worked everyday with different clients through out several states to set up blood drives. it was fast paced and interactive, always meeting new people and on the go.
Productive fun place to work
Donor Counselor II Provided (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 5, 2018
Fun place to work need to get rid of the micro management, scoring point system program if you are out sick a doctors excuse still will not matter. They use the same method as a call center and McDonald's and the other fast food programs companies.But they are corporate america..
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management and point system needs to be abolished.
Rewarding
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 4, 2018
Working for the Red Cross is a rewarding and humbling job. There is a great deal of travel involved with this job and the hours can be overwhelming, but at the end of the day I go home feeling accomplished and satisfied that my work might save a life in the very near future.
work summary
(Donor Specialist II) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 4, 2018
Working different hours per day is challenging but consistent. What makes it great is the staff helping each other out. It is a good place where people volunteer for blood donations and other volunteer opportunities.
Lets talk about The Red Cross
Biomedical Service Agent II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 4, 2018
The American Red Cross, has a great mission, but the company could use some improvements. Working in the call center, its expected to be on the phones, but to Call donors EVERY single day causes donors to not want to donate,which in turn goes against the mission of trying to save lives. The work/life balance is doable if you don't have a life. It is understandable that around the holidays the need for blood is greater, but to have employees come in on Thanksgiving and Christmas to call donors is absurd. Leave people alone, let your employees see their families and let the donors enjoy their holidays as well. The excessive calls are harassment and to get paid the little piece of money to be cussed out and called out of my name isn't worth it despite having tough skin. The attendance system is flawed and a lot of employees deal with medical situations, that are not fully excused, which causes employees to rack up on points. Once you hit a certain number, you're out the door, but what can you do when you have disability and you're trying to save lives but Red Cross wont help you save your own. Such a robotic system, and had i known the company would have so much corruption i would have never applied. Do better Red Cross. Your new slogan should be "Saving lives, but screw those who are doing the saving"
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks, Terrible attendance policy, low income, no management support, So much more, I don't have the space to write them all
Red Cross another just another company
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 3, 2018
Overall it is a good place to work. However, the Red Cross preaches about taking care of the employee it doesn't. Upper level managers are to busy covering their butts to take care of their employees

Want to know more about American Red Cross?

Ask a question
Volunteer
Volunteer, Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WA 99336December 3, 2018
I did some office work, for example data entry and managing the calender, and helped set up shelters. There on line training was good. Not the most user friendly. They were working on it.
My chapter has a great bunch of people working there. Really enjoy the culture.
Pros
Excellent Training
Cons
Volunteer
Fun place to work
Quality Assurance Associate III (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 3, 2018
American Red Cross was a great place to work from 2003 to 2013. Great benefits and opportunities for promotion. Lots of process improvements occurred during my tenure.
Pros
good benefits and leave time
Cons
continuous reduction in staff
Would not recommend
Service Agent 2 (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 2, 2018
They say show compassion and empathy to "THEIR" donors but what about the employees that gets the donors in and if you dont meet your metric you out the door. ARC lacks when it comes to family emergencies or medical leave!
No set schedule , no communication
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 30, 2018
All the managers dont communicate. Many things got mixed up. There where times they let you know only an hour before a drive that you have been switched to another one. Very rude people. Lots of drama. Lots of disrespectful managers who have no problem screaming at the workers in front of doners. I loved the actual job. I feel like the site in albany should be rebuilt with new managers that would help alot. No one really ever knows what were actualy doing there.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Everything about that place
good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 29, 2018
Very good to work at. very casual work place. Monday through Friday. The company took care of the employees all the time. Great hours. Fun to work for.
It was a slow paced environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2018
The Red Cross is an excellent organization to fulfill a volunteer or internship requirement. I was there as a volunteer, it was an easy job and I enjoyed helping others in need.
Good mission but disorganized
Donor Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 29, 2018
The Red Cross is an organization with a very worthwhile mission to help people in emergencies, and I believe that the news media does not give this organization enough credit for what it does do. However, internally, the organization is extremely disorganized in how it trains and operates. There are so many different lines of service, so many different materials, that years in - a person can still be dizzy. Overwhelming employees with material is just as unhelpful as not giving them any. The structure of the development department is subjective. Employees are graded on KPI's which do not accurately display the talent or success of an individual.

Overall, I didn't feel valued here, and didn't feel like my best interest was in mind - which makes it hard to get on board mentally. While the mission is worthy, internally, employees are getting burned.
Excellent Mission, Poor Management
Disaster Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireNovember 29, 2018
Excellent Mission, lacking tools to complete goals effectively. Horribly managed at the upper levels. Poor work/life balance. Asked to spend more than 75% of the day on the road thereby limiting effectiveness in completing necessary documentation.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
long hours, little appreciation, goals and objectives unrealistic
Great organization
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 29, 2018
Great organization, doing a lot of good. Enjoyed it while it lasted. The department I worked for was rolled up to a single main location, otherwise I would still be there.
Relaxed fun and challenging
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 28, 2018
In my department it was great communication and teamwork. I get to work and check around for any broken or malfunctioning equipment that had been pink tagged and took out of service, and check my emails for any priority communications to be addressed. Working to resolve departments problems is a very gratifying process.
Pros
you always have access to your supervisor if you have any questions or concerns.
Cons
some staff tends to not be able to problem solve or communicate at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight