American Red Cross

United States7,638 reviews

Found 7,638 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,959 reviews
crossdonorbloodamericanvolunteerdisasterarcdonate

non profit work culture

work is laid back, good life balance. best place to work for working moms and any one who wants to work for non profit. i would highly recommend red cross

What is the best part of working at the company?Everyone works together as a team. If you need help, there's always someone who can help you and if they can't they will point you in the direction of someone who can.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Location with no connectivity to the internet.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very inclusive, no matter your background everyone respect one another.What is a typical day like for you at the company?My dad to day consists of, setting up, running and managing our daily operations with in the Penn-Jersey Region.

American Red Cross insights

Based on 2,672 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Decisions are made with no input from staff

I've worked here for over 8 years. It gets worse and worse every year. Not enough pay, management cares little about staff or work/life balance. Ready to go.

Fun place but stressful and not managed well

Little direction and lots of hours expected. Very high turnover rate. Some weekends expected with no comp time. However this may just be the way of all nonprofits so...

What is the best part of working at the company?The ability to help others in times of crisis. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Having to put up with the political agenda without input from the boots on the ground personal. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?At one time wonderful . After the 4th "restructor" it was apparent that the years of experience preforming a "job well done" as indicated by fitness reports/ job evaluations the leadership placed no value on its employees. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Most rewarding experience for a while.

Pay is awful

Work a ridiculous amount of hours for minimum wage. The company does not care about its employees. They were going to leave me stranded 2 hours from home. I had to call my parents to come get me.

What is the best part of working at the company?Meeting new peopleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Unstable hoursWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very good and easy to get along with staffWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Wake up, eat breakfast, set up site for donations, accept donors, draw blood

Good experience/ good experience advice

Volunteering for America Red Cross or working in the health field training with allot of teamwork and trainers professors it help you to learned allot of different clients and” “patient’s” people and getting the experience of helping others when they needed with you loved ones and friends .

Pros

CPR savety

Cons

Experience

Good entry level positions for the medical field

I enjoy the job, but there’s a lot of personalities that congregate here. The rose tinted glasses fade to clear when you start noticing the cliques, favoritism, and supervisors picking and choosing who will abide by company policy. ARC allegedly strives to be an inclusive environment, but only if you fit in with your department. My shift supervisor is awesome and godsend, but the manager of my department is quite expendable. Doesn’t know much about the department, and made it very clear multiple times that he does not train new people. If you can find a hospital job or a private lab to work at, seize that opportunity immediately.

Pros

Coworkers are nice, supportive team, great benefits, good pay

Cons

Clique culture, favoritism, expendable higher ups, toxic environment

What is the best part of working at the company?Horrible experience. Hiring manager totally misrepresented the job.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Very low salary. Very political, bureaucratic, and regimented. Inexperienced management directing those with higher education and experience. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Management taking total credit for successes and blaming subordinate scapegoats for failures. No advancement. Total blemish on my CV.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Horrible working conditions in a condenmed building. No air conditioning in summer. No heat in winter. Told there was employee parking for everyone. Only half the employees had parking. Poor morale all around. Lot of back stabbing. Very depressing place.

Always reorganizing.

The company is always reorganizing. Staff have to re apply for their jobs Working with volunteers was always great, a lot want to do good for our community

Pros

Good work for the Community

Cons

Low pay poor benefits

Stay away

Favoritism is not a secret and belittlement is encouraged to each other. If you like working long hours, disrespect, and cliques then join the club they've got jackets. You are subhuman here and you have no voice in what you do here. You are served the garbage they give you each and everyday and better enjoy it because if you call out once even if you have an emergency surgery or emergency elsewhere you are going to get written up and counseled about what you did. Seriously, I urge any prospective employee to look elsewhere as you will not enjoy what comes next for you there if you join.

Love the staff as well as the donor's and I just love what we're there to do

I would love coming back to America RedCross. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I will be back apart of the team. It was a great and wonderful experience I was able to use my skills An I most say with the help of the oji I would say I've done pretty good. Would like for everyone to go donate today people please

What is the best part of working at the company?Given the tools to promote the organization’s excellent services. As a former PR Director I was always at the heart of assisting victims of house fires; promoting swimming safety, CPR, and the aftermath of September 11th, 2001.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Being on call 24-7. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?We worked as a team, but also independently.

American Red Cross is like family

The staff takes you in shows you the ropes asks you what you prefer try and work at and trains you and if there's something else that you want to learn they'll train you on that. They are very good working team all the time.

Good Pay and Poor Work Environment

Great pay, but Management loves to micro-manage and noticeably has favorites. Overall, very simple and very repetitive job. The Hours and days varies.

Don’t do it.

Would not recommend. The work schedules vary and are horrible. The work is very tedious. The system is not updated which causes the work to be extra unnecessary. There are so many training classes because of the high turnover rate.

What is the best part of working at the company?Meet people from all over What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There was nothing What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Peaceful and pleasant What is a typical day like for you at the company?Servings people

Do Not Work Here Unless You Like Drama

This is a horrible place to work. The place is micromanaged and the lead techs and workers are lazy. Whenever you complain about those not pulling their weight, management overlooks it. The hours are horrible. You will work every weekend and the pay sucks. Working here is like being back in high school. Everyone are in cliques and they love to gossip about everyone especially the supervisors and managers. Please Do Not Work here unless you love to be depressed and miserable.

What is the best part of working at the company?Team Work and Working as a familyWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?All jobs have their own Style of working... Never felt stressful What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Team work and working as a family..What is a typical day like for you at the company?Starts at 8.30am till 5.00pm but again i work till my part of the work is complete

Loved it!

I loved my job! The hours were stressful but the job was rewarding and fascinating. I enjoyed working with the donors and just knowing I was making a difference was great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight