American Savings Bank Hawaii Employee Reviews

An overall good place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIAugust 1, 2019
ASB Hawaii is a good place to work. Enjoyed my time there. The work environment is fun and enjoyable. My work colleagues are friendly and easy to work with.
Great place to work/Bad Management/InadequateTraining
Collections (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 17, 2019
It's strange, ASB is really an incredible company with an awesome future, unfortunately, Some of the management team and the lack of a comprehensive training program holds the company back from its potential. Training is essential to consistency, and bad managers destroy a good workforce
Great company to work for
Customer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96804June 20, 2019
the work life balance with company was awesome. Pay and benefits were on point. management knew how to treat employees. If I ever move back to Hawaii will definitely reapply,
Awesome environment, make you feel like Family
Customer Service/Call Center Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIMay 31, 2019
Would highly recommend this job. They are very attentive and take very good care of their employees. Most enjoyable part about the job is feeling like a team. BETTER Together!
Pros
Culture, free meals, nice campus
Cons
could have a better start rate
Fun collaborative workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 21, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see that you’re making a difference in your members lives. Junk part are the angry and upset customers, over the years you tend to realize sometimes that your health...your mental health is also very important rather than paying bills and working in a position that only gets you “by”. I believe someone should love what they do rather than suffer at something they aren’t enjoying.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Short breaks, Underpaid
Depends on branch
Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 8, 2019
It depends on your branch. I was placed at one of the top 3 busiest branches on Oahu so it was crazy. We weren't allowed to sit when more than 3 people were in line (which was majority of the time), wouldn't get full breaks because it was so busy, would get told to make conversation but at the same time get scolded because we werent fast enough with getting the line moving. Helped out at multiple branches and seen how easy and stress free they had it, yet we were making the same pay while I had to stand 9hrs a day and they could just sit and relax. I would probably still be there if I didnt get stuck at such a hectic branch with leads who were out of high school and on power trips. I'm only giving three stars because it's nice that they train you beforehand and the regional managers and trainers really care about the company and helping people grow.
Slow and Local Bank
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Makawao, HIApril 2, 2019
Working at American Savings is slow paced, local minded and more about knowing "someone" rather than "something". It is hard to advance with only 6 branches on island unless you are willing to move to another. Management is disconnected from branch day to day activities and looks only for the "big picture"
Pros
working close to home and weekly pay
Cons
lack of work/life balance. Internal poilitics.
Good company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLMarch 29, 2019
American Savings in North Miami- not Hawaii
Good company, heard that they closed a few years ago. CO-Worker’s were wonderful and management was professional.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not enough room for development
not too bad
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 24, 2019
salary is kind of low but have good benefits and paid time off. People are generally nice, CEO and high management have a good caring direction. Hard to advance unless they really like you. Training classes aren't really effective and sometimes new employees get left alone without any guidance when they come out of classes.
Pros
paid time off, benefits
Cons
low salary, favorites
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Maui, HIDecember 4, 2018
Everyone is supportive, and willing to help you succeed. They encourage you to speak up and share your ideas or input to make the bank a better place to work.
It was a fun place to work
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2018
American Savings Bank was a family bank, it was taking over by a bigger bank, National Republic Bank.
Because it was a family bank, that's how it felt working there, like a family, most of the customers were elderly people, beautiful seniors that liked to sit down for hours, we had to help them out with their accounts, making sure that all their account were insured by the FDIC, and explaining the best ways that they could relocate their assets.
Great start, horrible follow through.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Kamuela, HISeptember 19, 2018
American Savings Bank is a great place to work if you want to get into banking but have 0 experience, they train you before you start. There are classes after the initial training, but if your branch is too short staffed or your manager doesn’t allow you to go you don’t get more training. After training there’s very little follow- up. I trained for something and didn’t get to use that training for 8 months and subsequently wasn’t comfortable doing that task, but I was thrown into it, with no help or coaching, after telling management I wasn’t comfortable doing that task. If banking is not what you want to do till you’re 62, I would not recommend it. It is a high pressure workplace with high turn-over.
I’ve had three managers in a year, a position that should be held for a few years, none of them were fantastic.
Pros
Training is provided. Really good benefits.
Cons
HR doesn’t respond. High stress. Nothing actually gets resolved.
work environment
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 13, 2018
ASB family and all executives and leaders are engaged, invested and committed to their mission of helping people financially needs, a place for teammates work together to make banking easy while providing the best customer experience.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
salary base no overtime pay
Best Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 10, 2018
I am grateful to have worked with American Savings Bank. For over 12 years, I have built my skills working in the banking industry as well as customer service. I can't thank the company enough for what they have done for me and my family. Not just a company...it was my Ohana.
Pros
Best people to work with
Cons
I left the State
nice environment and chance to improve
Network Engineer II and AVP (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 1, 2018
- nice working environment
- many chances to learn and improve
- easy to talk environment
- flexible hours
- many after business hour/weekend jobs depends on project
Pros
many chanes
Cons
many after hours work
Relaxed workplace with great benefits.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 31, 2018
The hardest part about the job are your coworkers and the customers. If you don't get along with you coworkers your only choice is to move branches, there is no overhead protection especially if you don't get along with someone above you. Customers are frustrating but that's what you have to deal with when being in customer service. the benefits, pay, and constant promotions make it worth it if you find a workplace that you like. Work hard and work apparent and people will notice and reward you.
Good place to work overall
AML/Fraud Prevention Investigator II (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 27, 2018
Some awkwardness with management but overall great place to work. Most definitely one of the best companies to work for in Hawaii. Some of the changes the company is undergoing is a bit confusing and needs more clarification to line employees.
Great people! Lots of turnover especially in upper management
Director (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 6, 2018
The executive board is mainly comprised of people from the Mainland and no real connection to the islands. Hard to lead the local people with Mainland recruits due to lack of understanding the culture and overall experiences we have all been raised to expect from an employer. They try but it’s challenging to get the “buy in” from the employees. Many felt replaceable and ASB’s culture replicated Bank of America or Wells Fargo.

Great people but lacks the leadership of those larger institutions and transparency. Good entry level opportunities but high turnover in various departments.
Benefits
Cons
High turnover in executive / upper management. Tenure is typical 2-4yrs.
fun place to work
Collection and retention (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 31, 2018
They have a summer function where the bank gets together eats, drinks and has fun. Everyone is friendly and treats each other with the Ohana spirit. This is one of the great moments I've had.
This company is really good to their employees.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Maui, HIJuly 15, 2018
This company treats their employees good. I would recommend this to friends and family. They have good benefits and bottom line its a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Savings Bank Hawaii. Our community is ready to answer.