American Senior Communities Employee Reviews

Poor management from the top d
Management (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 19, 2018
I was employed with ASC and ASC Therapies for approximately 4 years. During the first 2 years I could not have asked for a better employer. The company genuinely seemed to care about the residents in addition to providing an employee centric environment. However the company eventually changed management and thus changed the entire companies corporate environment. Now the predominant driving force for the company is REVENUE. How much can be milked from the federal and state reimbursement providers at the expense of the residents and staff. From a regional level down no one has any job satisfaction nor is anyone invested in the betterment of the company. This is a recipe destined for failure. Of course that has been the plan from the start. Build an independent, comprehensive rehabilitation company and sell it off to the highest bidder. If you NEED a job it’s a place of employment. If you are interested in professional growth and opportunities for advancement then please look elsewhere.
Pros
N/a
Cons
The job is great but the place is terrible
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INDecember 16, 2018
The manager of housekeeping was amazing but the man who ran the whole place was completely sketchy. The residents weren't taken care of correctly by CNA's unless they were favorited. CNA's made us clean up after them which they shouldn't have ever done. I was made to do CNA work by the CNA's when I was not qualified to do any of it. I honestly would not recommend this place to you unless you can put up with a lot of stuff. There's a lot of drama and bullying from older women in other departments.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
It's a sketchy business and place in general
Employees
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, INDecember 2, 2018
Awesome employees. Everyone I worked with on a daily bases was amazing. Certain areas could use work and improvement. I love the people I have taken care of.
Great environment, great people
American Senior Communities (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INNovember 15, 2018
I was able to get to know regular residents in the home and office. I was a wonderful feeling knowing I was making a difference in peoples lives even though they were at the end of their days.
Pros
free lunches, homey environment
Cons
slow paced
Stressful but lovely coworkers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ligonier, INNovember 5, 2018
Work is usually stressful because we are understaffed a lot, but I love it there. The people who work there are great. We get everything done most of the time.
Pros
Snacks provided
Cons
understaffed
the focus was on team work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 30, 2018
if it was not for my team picking up shifts and working together we would not have function as well as we did. we come in every morning and evening short staff and instead of complaining we pulled our strengths together and finish the job. the employees are like family and no one is down we all worked together.
Executive Director
Executive Director/HFA (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 26, 2018
I have been an ED with the company for just over a year. I can't say enough about how much I love ASC. We face many challenges in Long-Term Care. However there is so much support and understanding you never feel alone. You are set up for success from day one. I really have no desire to work for anyone else. I am very excited to see all of the investments pay off that the company is making. I am very proud of the difference myself, my team, and my company makes every day!
Pros
Advancement Oppurtunities, State-wide facilities
Working with Avalon Village!
Admissions and Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Ligonier, INOctober 26, 2018
I love working at Avalon Village! The residents and staff brought me back! I left for about 6 month and can back! The staff really cares about the residents!
Pros
Residents, staff, bonus
Cons
The pros out weigh the cons
American Senior Communties
Community Nurse Liaison/Nurse Liaison Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 6, 2018
I was fortunate enough to have been recruited and hired by American Senior Communities (ASC) several years ago. ASC is driven to provide quality care for seniors and those in need of physical rehabilitation throughout the entire state of Indiana and northern Kentucky. I currently work directly with Case Managers and physicians at several local hospitals in the northern Indiana area. Through my daily interactions, I have had the opportunity to build strong relationships with community members, local hospital staff and the staff at ASC's extended care facilities. A normal day includes visiting local hospitals and assessing those in need of rehabilitation and/or long-term care. The work environment is fast paced and requires a great deal of clinical knowledge, organization, communication and time management skills. The work culture at ASC has afforded me a great deal of autonomy, and I feel entrusted to work without the need for close supervision. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is the struggle to place patients in the proper facilities and ensure that all parties come together for the good of the patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on a daily basis with hospital staff, in addition to the patients and their families, in order to bring them all together to provide quality care. At the end of the day, I have found my time spent working with these groups of people to be quite fulfilling and very rewarding.
Pros
Being able to work independently and building relationships
Cons
Often work long days and being on call essentially 24/7
Good Company
Receptionist/Asst. Business Mgr. (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2018
I enjoy the residents in our community. The management does not communicate to those of us below them and the training for my job was minimal and I felt thrown to the wolves!!

The culture here among employees is one of low productivity from what I have witnessed due to the lack of communication from Management.
The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out just what is expected from you!!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is working for and with the residents.
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Short Lunches, Lack of Communication
Look elsewhere
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  New castleSeptember 18, 2018
Lack of support from management. Understaffed forced to work over constantly. Great place to work if you want unlimited OT. High stress, and limited staff. Sometimes have 80+ residents with 2 Nurses and 2 aides and it's the LTC resident's.
Not recommended
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2018
New leadership. No transparency. Lack of communication. Lack of defined job tasks. Political environment. Inexperienced people in leadership roles. Too many changes without considering consequences. VERY poor work/life balance. No respect. Does not promote within.
Its ok place to work needed mor money
Environmental Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 16, 2018
Very nice team to work with they work very hard for the little money they would get per hour the staff always seam to go out of there way to help all the people that lived there.
Pros
nice team to work with
Cons
needed more money
workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 12, 2018
I like for this company it has taught me a lot along the way of been employed here. I have been broken but I also have grew and can't wait to learn more. The company has a lot to offer and give you a chance to be in a higher positions.
Pros
can learn a lot been with the company
Cons
Some the pay is too low for the work required.
Management problems
Charge Nurse LPN (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 6, 2018
Management does not listen, pushes their work and responsibilities onto others. Talks over their staff about patient care and does NOT listen to floor nurses about patient care. Fosters unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Coworkers I trust
Doesnt care about staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 29, 2018
Doesn't care about staff don't care if we work short don't offer bonus to pick up shifts I just thank they need to do more for the employees they have left
Pros
No will get in trouble if eat there food
Cons
Yed
Pta
PTA (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, INJuly 10, 2018
Unfortunately I would still be working there if it wasn't for the hold up on renewing my PTA license. I'm hoping they will hold my position but no guarantee. I worked at the facility providing physical therapy services like exercising and walking pt. to improve their level of function to return home or cont. to function at their most highest level so CNA's could care for residents easier. I enjoyed my job in a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. There was nothing I didn't like about my job. I enjoy working with the ederly and have all my career. My co-workers and manager are very nice and caring individuals. Hopefully I can get back there but if not would like to stay in the same setting.
Pros
Working with the elderly
Cons
General Manager Independent Living & Garden Homes (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 7, 2018
During the period of time at ASC, was during the time when James Burkhart and Dan Benson were the CEO and COO.
It all makes sense now, how intense and stressed the meetings with them were.
Tred litely
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville IndianaJune 29, 2018
I have family member there. And all the company cares about is her money and taking her home. By no means don't send a family member there much less work there. Shame on them for taking advantage of the elderly. God doesn't like greed..i would tred litely if I were them..Karma My friends, Karma.
great oppotunities
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
friendly and great staff and management, great place for advance opportunities, great paid vacation and time off. Flexible schedules and days. Overall great opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Senior Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight