American Senior Communities Employee Reviews

American Senior Communties
Community Nurse Liaison/Nurse Liaison Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 6, 2018
I was fortunate enough to have been recruited and hired by American Senior Communities (ASC) several years ago. ASC is driven to provide quality care for seniors and those in need of physical rehabilitation throughout the entire state of Indiana and northern Kentucky. I currently work directly with Case Managers and physicians at several local hospitals in the northern Indiana area. Through my daily interactions, I have had the opportunity to build strong relationships with community members, local hospital staff and the staff at ASC's extended care facilities. A normal day includes visiting local hospitals and assessing those in need of rehabilitation and/or long-term care. The work environment is fast paced and requires a great deal of clinical knowledge, organization, communication and time management skills. The work culture at ASC has afforded me a great deal of autonomy, and I feel entrusted to work without the need for close supervision. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is the struggle to place patients in the proper facilities and ensure that all parties come together for the good of the patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on a daily basis with hospital staff, in addition to the patients and their families, in order to bring them all together to provide quality care. At the end of the day, I have found my time spent working with these groups of people to be quite fulfilling and very rewarding.
Pros
Being able to work independently and building relationships
Cons
Often work long days and being on call essentially 24/7
Good Company
Receptionist/Asst. Business Mgr. (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2018
I enjoy the residents in our community. The management does not communicate to those of us below them and the training for my job was minimal and I felt thrown to the wolves!!

The culture here among employees is one of low productivity from what I have witnessed due to the lack of communication from Management.
The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out just what is expected from you!!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is working for and with the residents.
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Short Lunches, Lack of Communication
Look elsewhere
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  New castleSeptember 18, 2018
Lack of support from management. Understaffed forced to work over constantly. Great place to work if you want unlimited OT. High stress, and limited staff. Sometimes have 80+ residents with 2 Nurses and 2 aides and it's the LTC resident's.
Not recommended
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2018
New leadership. No transparency. Lack of communication. Lack of defined job tasks. Political environment. Inexperienced people in leadership roles. Too many changes without considering consequences. VERY poor work/life balance. No respect. Does not promote within.
workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 12, 2018
I like for this company it has taught me a lot along the way of been employed here. I have been broken but I also have grew and can't wait to learn more. The company has a lot to offer and give you a chance to be in a higher positions.
Pros
can learn a lot been with the company
Cons
Some the pay is too low for the work required.
Management problems
Charge Nurse LPN (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 6, 2018
Management does not listen, pushes their work and responsibilities onto others. Talks over their staff about patient care and does NOT listen to floor nurses about patient care. Fosters unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Coworkers I trust
Doesnt care about staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 29, 2018
Doesn't care about staff don't care if we work short don't offer bonus to pick up shifts I just thank they need to do more for the employees they have left
Pros
No will get in trouble if eat there food
Cons
Yed
Pta
PTA (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, INJuly 10, 2018
Unfortunately I would still be working there if it wasn't for the hold up on renewing my PTA license. I'm hoping they will hold my position but no guarantee. I worked at the facility providing physical therapy services like exercising and walking pt. to improve their level of function to return home or cont. to function at their most highest level so CNA's could care for residents easier. I enjoyed my job in a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. There was nothing I didn't like about my job. I enjoy working with the ederly and have all my career. My co-workers and manager are very nice and caring individuals. Hopefully I can get back there but if not would like to stay in the same setting.
Pros
Working with the elderly
Cons
General Manager Independent Living & Garden Homes (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 7, 2018
During the period of time at ASC, was during the time when James Burkhart and Dan Benson were the CEO and COO.
It all makes sense now, how intense and stressed the meetings with them were.
Tred litely
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville IndianaJune 29, 2018
I have family member there. And all the company cares about is her money and taking her home. By no means don't send a family member there much less work there. Shame on them for taking advantage of the elderly. God doesn't like greed..i would tred litely if I were them..Karma My friends, Karma.
great oppotunities
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
friendly and great staff and management, great place for advance opportunities, great paid vacation and time off. Flexible schedules and days. Overall great opportunity.
Productive workplace fun exciting experience
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 16, 2018
I learned to have patience, I worked with dementia and it was a very hard task . I really enjoyed it different faces new experience, so much love giving out .
Poor Workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 31, 2018
Poor management overall. What you see and how you are greeted walking through front doors is not even close to what is going on in each unit.

If you like a contact high work at Trailpoint facility. Random drug testing should be mandatory daily activity. Depending on who you park next to it will be rolling out vehicle windows. There is no shame at this facility.

Always understaffed, very few employees who still have a heart and decency to provide quality healthcare.
Cons
Understaffed
Day at ASC
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 30, 2018
A typical day genuinely is just making sure each resident gets the food that is required for their diet. It all begins with making sure everything is clean and in place for their food to be made and served to them.
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland City, INMay 4, 2018
was a good place to work. the company seemed to demonstrate a willingness to care for the residents and showed concern for the employee. was a good upbeat environment
stressful work, low pay, uncaring management.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Meadow lakes Mooresville, INApril 27, 2018
as a CNA I am in charge of making sure the residents on my hall are woken up, fed, bathed, taken to the bathroom, backsides are wiped, bedding and clothes are clean, safe, healthy, and so much more. not to mention some of our more chalinging residents will bite scratch and otherwise abuse you. all that responsibility and i am paid 10 dollars an hour. meanwhile the weekend shift just lets our residents sit in the own filth and excrement all weekend long. and when i bring this up to management i am told to just do my best. i think this is disgusting and unacceptable. would not recommend working here much less spending money to send your loved ones to live here. management is very disorganized and uncaring, unless your a friend of the right person.
Just another understaffed nursing home
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 27, 2018
1 registered nurse and 1 CNA for 24 dementia patients... No acuity recognized... Dangerous for both staff and patients. Often just one QMA on nights... Unfair to patients.
Pros
Could work as much as one wants
Cons
Understaffed and over worked
Management Lacking
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 24, 2018
The residents are wonderful and the nursing staff is great to work with, the only issue I have found is with management. The management is very unprofessional and makes the work atmosphere very stressful. It’s rare that I have a day that I’m not worried about going into work that morning. They lack good communication with their nurses which makes our job difficult, especially when it comes to communication with families/residents and our staff members. It’s frustrating to say the least.
Pros
Residents, compensation
Cons
Management styles, unprofessionalism
Fun and fast paced working.
Cook/Dietary Aide/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, INApril 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time at ASC cooking and caring for the residents. It’s a fast paced environment in the kitchen and I always stayed busy. I would recommend working there to anyone. There’s always room to learn and grow
Got to have patience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland City, INMarch 28, 2018
If you want this kind of job, make sure you have patience and you really care about the residents. Makes you feel good when your helping others. It takes a caring person to do this kind of job. There's dramam but that's anywhere you work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Senior Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight