American Senior Communities Management reviews

Good Company
Receptionist/Asst. Business Mgr. (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2018
I enjoy the residents in our community. The management does not communicate to those of us below them and the training for my job was minimal and I felt thrown to the wolves!!

The culture here among employees is one of low productivity from what I have witnessed due to the lack of communication from Management.
The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out just what is expected from you!!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is working for and with the residents.
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Short Lunches, Lack of Communication
Management Lacking
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 24, 2018
The residents are wonderful and the nursing staff is great to work with, the only issue I have found is with management. The management is very unprofessional and makes the work atmosphere very stressful. It’s rare that I have a day that I’m not worried about going into work that morning. They lack good communication with their nurses which makes our job difficult, especially when it comes to communication with families/residents and our staff members. It’s frustrating to say the least.
Pros
Residents, compensation
Cons
Management styles, unprofessionalism
American Senior Communties
Community Nurse Liaison/Nurse Liaison Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 6, 2018
I was fortunate enough to have been recruited and hired by American Senior Communities (ASC) several years ago. ASC is driven to provide quality care for seniors and those in need of physical rehabilitation throughout the entire state of Indiana and northern Kentucky. I currently work directly with Case Managers and physicians at several local hospitals in the northern Indiana area. Through my daily interactions, I have had the opportunity to build strong relationships with community members, local hospital staff and the staff at ASC's extended care facilities. A normal day includes visiting local hospitals and assessing those in need of rehabilitation and/or long-term care. The work environment is fast paced and requires a great deal of clinical knowledge, organization, communication and time management skills. The work culture at ASC has afforded me a great deal of autonomy, and I feel entrusted to work without the need for close supervision. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is the struggle to place patients in the proper facilities and ensure that all parties come together for the good of the patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on a daily basis with hospital staff, in addition to the patients and their families, in order to bring them all together to provide quality care. At the end of the day, I have found my time spent working with these groups of people to be quite fulfilling and very rewarding.
Pros
Being able to work independently and building relationships
Cons
Often work long days and being on call essentially 24/7
Not recommended
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2018
New leadership. No transparency. Lack of communication. Lack of defined job tasks. Political environment. Inexperienced people in leadership roles. Too many changes without considering consequences. VERY poor work/life balance. No respect. Does not promote within.
stressful work, low pay, uncaring management.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Meadow lakes Mooresville, INApril 27, 2018
as a CNA I am in charge of making sure the residents on my hall are woken up, fed, bathed, taken to the bathroom, backsides are wiped, bedding and clothes are clean, safe, healthy, and so much more. not to mention some of our more chalinging residents will bite scratch and otherwise abuse you. all that responsibility and i am paid 10 dollars an hour. meanwhile the weekend shift just lets our residents sit in the own filth and excrement all weekend long. and when i bring this up to management i am told to just do my best. i think this is disgusting and unacceptable. would not recommend working here much less spending money to send your loved ones to live here. management is very disorganized and uncaring, unless your a friend of the right person.
Poor Workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 31, 2018
Poor management overall. What you see and how you are greeted walking through front doors is not even close to what is going on in each unit.

If you like a contact high work at Trailpoint facility. Random drug testing should be mandatory daily activity. Depending on who you park next to it will be rolling out vehicle windows. There is no shame at this facility.

Always understaffed, very few employees who still have a heart and decency to provide quality healthcare.
Cons
Understaffed
Look elsewhere
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  New castleSeptember 18, 2018
Lack of support from management. Understaffed forced to work over constantly. Great place to work if you want unlimited OT. High stress, and limited staff. Sometimes have 80+ residents with 2 Nurses and 2 aides and it's the LTC resident's.
Management problems
Charge Nurse LPN (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 6, 2018
Management does not listen, pushes their work and responsibilities onto others. Talks over their staff about patient care and does NOT listen to floor nurses about patient care. Fosters unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Coworkers I trust
good place to work
Northpark Nursing Center (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 21, 2018
There were too many changes in adm. No chance for advancement. Most co-workers were great. Why do I have to rate every company. I worked hard. CEO changed a few times.
General Manager Independent Living & Garden Homes (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 7, 2018
During the period of time at ASC, was during the time when James Burkhart and Dan Benson were the CEO and COO.
It all makes sense now, how intense and stressed the meetings with them were.
great oppotunities
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
friendly and great staff and management, great place for advance opportunities, great paid vacation and time off. Flexible schedules and days. Overall great opportunity.
Caring place to work with a lot of room for growth!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 17, 2017
Great company to work for. They are very education driven and will help you if you want to further your healthcare career. They always have fun things for the staff. Whether it's getting a food truck to come by for lunch, have a dress up day, having a bake sale to raise money for Alzheimer's, or celebrating whatever random holiday it is with food and fun, they are always showing the staff appreciation. They take the care of their residents very seriously and are always striving to do more and be better. Management works on the floor when short staffed, so that other staff doesn't get too burnt out. They are always trying to help each other out.
Pros
caring people who are trying to make a difference
Cons
short staffed
Don't waste your time
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 26, 2018
This company makes a lot of promises to incoming residents and their families. But they are short staffed nearly every shift and the families are disillusioned quickly. Management will not help when short staffed, but will make sure to tell you what didn't get done while you were doing the work of 2/3 nurses.
Doesnt care about staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 29, 2018
Doesn't care about staff don't care if we work short don't offer bonus to pick up shifts I just thank they need to do more for the employees they have left
Pros
No will get in trouble if eat there food
Cons
Yed
Tred litely
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville IndianaJune 29, 2018
I have family member there. And all the company cares about is her money and taking her home. By no means don't send a family member there much less work there. Shame on them for taking advantage of the elderly. God doesn't like greed..i would tred litely if I were them..Karma My friends, Karma.
Fast paced enviornment
Rehabilitation Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INFebruary 6, 2018
Enjoyed the group of therapists I worked with, but management could have been better. There was a turn over with management and they needed to provide better training.
Pros
Friendly therapists to work with
Cons
Bad management, paid time off, etc.
Asc
Human Resources Manager of Therapy (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaMay 18, 2017
Great place to work! Great management and many benefits/perks! I have had advancement opportunities and learned so much from my supervisors. They are willing to offer free training opportunities and tuition reimbursement!
Pros
Benefits, Advancement Opportunities, Training, Pleasant Environment
Horrible Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, INMarch 10, 2016
This facility went through many changes of ownership, but the same problems persisted: poor management, little to no care about the residents, poor treatment of staff, and overall unprofessional atmosphere.

Managers rarely wanted the input of lower level staff and made them feel as if they were unimportant to the facility operations. They liked to look and feel important, but not get involved in the daily tasks or help out their departments. Corporate was a joke, only giving power to those with no idea how to use or manage authority.

CNAs were grossly underpaid and overall facility raises were 2% - I didn't even get an entire dollar raise after being there three years and being responsible for 3-4 different roles. They'd spend a few thousand dollars a month to give out cookies and donuts in the community to "market", but threw a fit if the activity department went over their $150/month budget and RARELY spent anything on the employees unless they felt obligated.

This place was a joke - run far and fast.
Pros
Friendly staff, residents, fulfilling job
Cons
Management, nepotism, terrible benefits, low wages
good place to work
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 21, 2018
Aster Place is a good place to work. Management is nice, fair and well informed. If I was able to get the hours needed at this facility i would not leave.
Competitive compensation and very clean facility
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 2, 2017
If you like rude staff who don't believe in team work then this is the place for you! Residents are nice, friendly and clean. Overall facility is clean and doesn't smell like your normal nursing home.
Pros
Compensation/benefits, management is nice and they try to show appreciation to the staff.
Cons
Workload, staff are rude, unfriendly and no team work. Food is awful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Senior Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight