American Society for Microbiology Employee Reviews

An employer that values its employees
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2017
I worked in the Journals Department at ASM for 28 years, during which time I held several positions, all in the field of journal production and editorial style. I always felt that my work was valued and that my opinions were given due consideration. I liked the other staff and felt the salaries were more than competitive, especially given that ASM is a not-for-profit professional society. The benefits are especially good.
Pros
Great benefits, congenial staff
Cons
Editorial work is increasingly devalued; the opportunities I had don't exist now
Marketing/Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2017
Wonderful, smart staff and people to work with doing important work for America. Days are busy, and go by fast because you are doing interesting work and marketing and communications team is well managed. Great working environment, culture and diverse teams that collaborate well.
Pros
wonderful, smart people to work with
I loved asm!!
Editorial Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
ASM is the absolute BEST job that I have ever had in my life. The management really values its employees and they take good care of them also. Great benefits, great pay, and great people!
Very efficient, productive workplace; fun, bright coworkers
Freelance copy editor and proofreader (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2015
Good benefits, challenging work, good salaries, very intelligent staff, opportunity for growth, everyone works independently and is responsible for himself/herself
Rewarding job industry but poor management
Senior Program Specialist, Sustainable Development (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2013
Very demanding and stresfull work environment, fun co-workers, and lots of opportunity for self-development
ASM is a great company to work for
Editorial Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2013
ASM is a great place to work. Friendly staff and they accomadate their employees greater than any other company that I know of. A typical day at work is generally peaceful and productive. The hardest part of my job was making sure that everything was accurate. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I knew that I produced a great amount of work accurately and recieved a job well done from my supervisor.
Pros
great benefits and friendly environment
worst company
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2012
American Society for Microbiology is one of the worst non profit organization anyone can work for they don't know how to treat their workers. They report incorrect finance information to their donors. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone....
Cons
upper management wants to be in control at all times.