American Society of Clinical Oncology Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work depending on your department
PC (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 9, 2018
I can only speak to the department I worked in, and I understand things are really different for other departments. What I found is that it is a very collaborative environment and I can really trust and rely on my colleagues. Everyone is really professional and easy to get along with, and there is no drama. We are also working for a good mission.
There is unlimited time off and you can work wherever and whenever suits you. However, sometimes this make it really hard to truly unplug. The president is really committed to making sure that employees take time off, take vacations, and spend time with loved ones.
There is a lot of room for growth, if not within your position then in other departments in ASCO. However, sometimes growth/movement isn't as rapid as it seems it should be and that is always blamed on "HR red tape." I have seen a few colleagues get burned, badly.
There is a great culture overall and lots of great benefits. Staff lounge has free healthy snacks + lots of foods/drinks available for purchase.
Pros
free snacks, unlimited time off, good mission
Cons
hr red tape, hard to find work-life balance
Great atmosphere and flexibility
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 8, 2017
I have never experienced an environment list this one. ROWE provides employees with the flexibility they need to do their jobs effectively. People care from the top down and it is very evident.
Flexible work schedule
Office and Facilities Administrator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 24, 2017
Relax environment. Typical day for me to check equipment and contact vendors. Monitor meeting calendars for any meeting set ups. I have taken on a few responsibilities that i plan to use to next job. Things such as working with the finance department. I have help with inputting invoices in the database. The workplace is really flexible we have a working environment called R.O.W.E (Results Only Work Environment) This allows us to work from home or to have a meeting from your home. This programs allows you to complete your task from out the office and have the ability to maybe run an errand or complete your schooling
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Underpaid
This place sucks
N/A (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 16, 2016
What the communications reviewer wrote is completely spot on. The managers are abusive in terms of the amount of work that they heap on. I was doing the work of 4 people, supporting 4 managers with constant (think daily!) deadlines. You get blamed because the managers refuse to hire more people to complete the work. The pace is frenetic and they keep taking on more committees and more projects. Way too many (often unproductive) meetings and plan to work overtime a lot if you come on board here. This one girl I spoke with worked overtime EVERY DAY for the past three months. They treat temp workers even worse. Value your sanity and don't work here.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch from conferences, modern office space
Cons
Hellish hours, abusive managers
Flexible environment with lots of opportunities to advance
Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 23, 2015
If you are a proactive employee with a strong set of core skills that you want to develop in a fast-paced and exciting nonprofit setting, ASCO may be a good fit for you. Succeeding at ASCO requires excellent time management skills and flexibility with your teammates because of the results-only work environment, and your first year will be a massive learning experience, but it's worth it. If you work hard, your managers will take notice and promotions within your first year (if you start out at entry level) are definitely possible. Not everyone will be comfortable with the office culture, which can feel unstructured at times, and this is probably not a good choice for people who like being in the office 9-5, 5 days a week. This is a great workplace for people who enjoy a work-life balance and want to do fulfilling work helping cancer researchers and oncologists.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits package, opportunities to advance, friendly staff, free healthy snacks
Cons
Steep learning curve, fairly rigorous annual performance evaluation, sometimes required to work weekends
Terrible Managers, Communications department a disaster
Communications/Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 24, 2015
ASCO has a great mission but many of the managers are terrible with staff, treating people as expendable. HR supports managers no matter what. Your manager could lie about your work and HR would support them. If you work here, save all your email. Managers will take credit for your good work and blame you for any errors that were a result of their poor management. Communications department is leaderless and stupid, and run by a clique of mid-level staff who blackball and eventually force out the best staff. Managers jump to put in place any hairbrained idea promulgated by the physicians on the board. Then reverse course when some other physician calls out the bad idea. Staff gets blamed. The hype for any little thing the organization does is incredible, you'd think they solved the cancer problem already. HR employee relations are a joke. ROWE is a joke, as many managers will dump more work on you if you try to work normal hours. Many employees lie about the hours they work to puff up their importance.
Pros
Work from home sometimes
Cons
Getting blamed for your manager's terrible management
Good organization - Lots of room to grow
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 10, 2014
ASCO gave me a great opportunity to learn about scholarly publishing and advance as a professional. Good benefits overall, though compensation is not up to snuff compared with other medical/STEM societies. ASCO attracts a great group of people to work with, albeit very stodgy at times, depending on your department. If that's your scene, you'll fit in great. To sum up, I advanced a great deal here, and technology- and business-wise they do some cool things at ASCO that, if you're just staring out still, you will want to be a part of.
Pros
Benefits, freebies, big supplies budget, amazing conference that's really something to witness
Cons
Boring location, stodgy culture, weak compensation
Can work from anywhere
Database Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 3, 2013
very busy days are super busy so i learned how to prioritize and plan ahead. The hardest part of the job is not enough training when transitioning to new positions but once you settle in you enjoy the job because there is a new challenge each day.
Pros
25 cent soda
Cons
Your day never ends
Great place to work, allowed me to travel
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 23, 2013
Great boss, busy office, great staff - great location in the heart of Old Town, Alex, VA
Pros
learned a lot regarding oncology
Cons
traffice driving to va
Coordinate department workload for team
Bilingual Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 5, 2012
-Coordinate department workload for procedure updates, data integrity updates, and research
-Provide translation assistance for Spanish speaking members and document translation