American Specialty Health

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Fun, supportive co-workers

Fast paced call center type job relating to insurance benefits. Job consists of taking calls from members and practitioners in order to verify insurance benefits, co pays and deductibles. This sounds fairly simple except for the fact that there are quite a few different plans and the information is found on all different types of software making it extremely confusing and stressful in the beginning.

Pros

Completely remote and they provide all equipment

Cons

Every move you make on the clock is monitored, Training is grueling and will make your brain explode.

It's okay, I guess

Job description was pretty confusing, I wasn't really sure what I would be doing until a week into "training". Training was okay I guess, they show you how to work the systems and find information, but you won't really know what you're in for until you start taking calls.

It’s Okay for a Paycheck

This company is okay to work for when you need to our food on the table but not much else. The pay is the absolute bare minimum and the health insurance costs are atrocious. There is a very unrealistic fitness step program to meet a step goal to reduce the cost of your premium but it’s practically unattainable. The training is absolutely bare minimum as well. They care more about docking points and less about actually providing help if you need it. The PTO is okay but could be A LOT better. They lump in your sick time with your vacation time and it’s incredibly ridiculous. It takes about 1 month to accrue enough hours for 1 full day of PTO so if you’re sick then bye-bye full week of paid vacation.

Pros

Not really much outside of PTO

Cons

Health Care, Training, Pay

No. Keep Looking!!!

As you will see from other reviewers, there is a lot of nepotism in this company, you don't get promoted for hard work. Management knows how to do their jobs and your job well, and they can educate you but the good ones who were leaders have since long gone from the company. They used to have low turn over and now people are jumping ship left and right. They do allow for work life balance, but I feel like the lack of caring and support along with really low end of the spectrum salaries don't make up for that.They have very rigid corporate policies that will no budge. Your merits will be low. They cut pay during the pandemic, I can see them finding reasons to do this again. I feel like management does not really care how people are doing they just want to know if your busy or not so they can give you more work.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low merits and pay, negative culture, managers are not leaders

Great HR Team

I was working on my degree in HR Management and through working the ASH, I learned great practices on how to retain employees. I had to leave due to personal reasons but if I could go back, and they would take me, I'd go in a heartbeat. I miss you ASH!

Pros

Performance reviews, personal development, advancement

Cons

Mid-level pay

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Their culture has changed from people to spreadsheets and stress

There was a time I would have highly recommended ASH to friends; however, I would now strongly encourage against working there. I worked there for 17 years and I watched as the company completely declined in its customer service and appreciation for employees. It has become the epitome of the corporates workforce who are only yes-men to their clients. The stressful, daily fire-drills, to update client campaigns results in false phone calls and false reporting to managements and the company's clients. There are MANY alternative places to work for this sort of income.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Highly stressful

It's a good place to start your career

The managers that I worked under have a hands off approach to your development. If you are wanting to grow, then I would suggest getting your experience and finding a company that will play a better role in developing you as well as compensating you for your worth.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Pay rates

Supportive Company and Co-Workers!

I only just recently started working there, but so far so good with this company. The training process seems to be quite involved, and I like my job so far.

Pros

Healthcare benefits start immediately, as do paid federal holidays.

Cons

You have to wait 90 days to begin taking PTO that you have earned.

The pay does not match the level of work expected from you.

You can gain some decent experience but are severely underpaid. It could be a nice stepping stone for people. But in this field they pay way below average for an insurance CSR position.

Good job for just starting out

If your young this would be a good job. Management plays favoritism. Company was not big on providing ergonomic equipment for workers. Management was changing like a revolving door.

Pros

Healthcare

Cons

Company was not big on providing ergonomic equipment for workers.

Very disorganized and disharmony amongst female management.

I was there when the pandemic occurred and the company made knee jerk decisions on sending the teams to work from home and shortly thereafter decided to have team work from home for two years, which effectively wound up costing some associates their jobs.

Pros

Free gym use at the office if/when they go back to the office.

Cons

Overly cautious leadership as well as incompetence at higher levels.

Great Culture with lots of room to learn and grow

I've loved every minute of the last 18 months or so working for ASH. I would recommend this company to anyone and everyone. Being in a climate that fosters growth, that innovates and had such a great and fast reaction to the COVID19 crisis last year is a wonderful thing.

Pros

Culture, People, Realistic Expectations

Cons

Salary is not competitive

Awesome work environment, supportive management

I feel very supported by my direct and upper management at ASH. They value employees' health and opinions, and they were very transparent about keeping employees safe with COVID measures. Many people have long tenures in the company, which is motivating to see, and the milestones are regularly celebrated.

Pros

Work from home flexibility, supportive management

Cons

Compensation

Repetitive and Flexible

Data Entry, pretty straight forward. Your pretty much a copier. Copy a hand written document onto the companies program. The job gives you lots of freedom they just want you to get the average of 35 documents an hour.

Pros

Great break room, Lots of freedom

Cons

Pay

June 2, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience working at American Specialty Health as a Claims Examiner. American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is one of the nation’s premier independent and privately-owned specialty health organizations offering technology-enabled benefits management services. We rely on our operational employees to support our members and providers and appreciate your contribution. We are glad you enjoyed the flexibility afforded in your role; a positive work-life balance is an important aspect of our culture. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Energizing company culture but low pay

I liked the unity in the company culture. There are a lot of initiatives put out to make you feel connected to other coworkers. Such as wellness initiatives everyone can participate in, and get togethers/fun days within departments and across departments. There was always something like this to look forward to. The work that I did in the Eligibility department was straight forward, repetitive, data-entry like, and very steady. If you like that kind of very predictable work, this would be for you. When I was there (temp to perm) in 2018, I’d say the starting pay was a little on the low side, and it seems that pay increases were minimal and slow. And there didn’t seem to be a lot of room for growth, but perhaps I was not there long enough.

Pros

Good benefits, wellness initiatives, company unity, predictable work, some flexibility in hours

Cons

Low wages, repetitive work

June 1, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working at American Specialty Health. We are pleased to hear you liked the company culture and enjoyed the initiatives that our Wellness, Social Activities, and Community Service Committees sponsored to foster engagement and culture. Our Total Rewards Program encompasses benefits, work-life balance, performance and recognition, compensation and employee growth and development. We are glad you found the responsibilities of an Eligibility Research Representative to be steady and predictable and are sorry to hear that you found the pay on the lower side. We thank you for your service at ASH and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Good First Call Center Job

If its your first call center job great, but my advice is get exp then go to a better paying job. Quality Assurance makes the job way harder than it is with constant changes that happen seemingly every month. Supervisors and management are good and the coworkers are great. The company even justified in an all hands meeting the reason why they pay so low which I found to be ridiculous. And their technology and system issues are a whole another thing

Pros

Suoervisors and managers

Cons

Technology Impossible to meet QA Communication Pay

April 30, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at American Specialty Health. We are glad that you are enjoying working with your teammates, supervisors, and managers. We are sorry to hear how you feel about our compensation. Our Total Rewards Program includes not only compensation, but benefits, work-life balance, performance and recognition, and employee growth and development. In regards to our technology and systems, we want to make sure we are providing all the right tools for our teams to get their jobs done efficiently. We’d appreciate it if you could tell us specifically what issues you are having, or ideas you have for improvement, by sending us an email to hr@ashn.com so we can evaluate. Thanks!

Nice people to work with; however, I felt I wasn't learning everything I needed to know to be able to answer customer's questions.

After training, a typical day at work was spent at your own desk in your own cubicle answering incoming calls from doctor's offices (sometimes the doctor himself/herself) asking questions regarding their patient's health insurance. Employees got a mid-morning break (15 minutes), a lunch break (1 hour), and a mid-afternoon break (15 minutes), which was nice. Also, the people were nice to work with; however, I felt I wasn't learning everything I needed to know to be able to answer customer's questions. I think this was due to training seeming rushed to me. But if you are able to hang in there, you WILL get through training AND you will be able to display your Certificate of Completion in your cubicle (as well as other personal items) which some people seemed to have a lot of fun doing.

Pros

Nice people, your own desk in your own cubicle after training, breaks

Cons

Training seeming rushed, not learning everything needed to be able to answer customers' questions

April 26, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at American Specialty Health and for sharing a typical day as a Customer Service Representative. We are sorry to hear that you felt the training was rushed. Our Customer Service Representatives go through an extensive training program designed to train on key information, applications, processes, and customer service skills. Our goal is to train employees how to use their resources to find the answers they need to support our members. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at ASH working with great people. Our HR mission is to recruit, hire and retain the best people possible to contribute to our award-winning culture of teamwork and innovation. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Difficutl in Dept Assigned. Company as a whole is good.

The company as a whole is a very good company, but the manager of my dept was not nice. Tyrannical, humorless unless it was her joke, did not allow communication between coworkers, ruled by fear.

Pros

Time off is accrued, Could take personal time off, Paid well, Health concious company, Decent Benefits, Lots of 'holidays', Rewards for anniversaries, Great breakroom!

Cons

unabie to communicate with peers for fear of reprimand Old technology, from 1998 that needs to be updated and less human factor, Lots of mistakes made that was because of outdated data entry, Asked for training to improve job skills i.e., Sequel and was denied over and over.

April 26, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at American Specialty Health. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the paid time off, holidays and achievements that are part of our total rewards program. We are sorry to hear that you felt your manager wasn’t supportive of your development. Our leaders are required to participate in leadership training for continued growth and improvement of team-building skills. We invite you to send a message with additional details regarding your experience to hr@ashn.com. Thank you.

Amazing workplace

Working at American Specialty Health is a dream. They take very good care of their employees. They even offer a gym and a spa. What more can you ask for?!

Pros

Gym

March 22, 2021
Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at American Specialty Health. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits of a healthy lifestyle that we offer in our Total Rewards Program that includes a fitness and wellness program, onsite gym, relaxation room, and athletic event reimbursement. We appreciate the positive review and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Bad team

The team all together was horrible.....they dont know how to train employees, my supervisors communication was terrible, they arent helpful when it comes to showing you how to do your job,They just throw you to the wolfs. Ive seen so many people quit this job in just the past 6 mouth then I have any other job Ive worked at. They are more focused on shouting out peoples birthdays and anniversary dates through email then they are responding to urgent matters.

Pros

Free money

Cons

Management and supervisors

March 19, 2021
Thank you for your review regarding your experience as a Credentialing Specialist at American Specialty Health. We value your feedback and would like to understand more around your comments. Please send us an email to hr@ashn.com with additional details so we can share this information with department leadership. Thank you.

Productive and fun at work place

Its a good work place and Management is very nice. Company benefits are Good. Lot of scoop to learn the new technology. wonderful team members.

March 8, 2021
Thank you for your feedback on your experience working for American Specialty Health. We are pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time learning new things and have found ASH to be a fun place to work. We are proud of the culture of teamwork, technology, and innovation that we have developed by hiring, developing and retaining the best people possible. It is because of this culture and our robust total rewards program that we have won multiple awards for being a Best Place to Work. Thank you for being a part of the team!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Specialty Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight