American Water
Here to help
Coronavirus update

American Water Employee Reviews

United States285 reviews
njaw is a great company started as a meter reader bidded on a open position and got the job the also helped me recieve my class a cdl license, utility map reading ,and leadership responsibilities
very good place to work and a most loving place for everyone there,I felt home,e when I was there everyone is friendly if given a chance I will work again..
Ask how many times the organization chart has changed for the negative and is it up to date right now Internal communications is led by egomaniac who bullies employees
It''s an amazing company to work. Will get to learn a lot of new technologies and the a very supportive management.
The work culture is amazing and getting through an interview is a breeze.
The job is great if you love to sale the managers and coaches help you with your sales pitch and the encourage you to assume the sale is yours and that helps with boosting your confidence
Helping customers , and working in a fast pace, and great work employees. How to work with others and taking a good stand to help customers out. Love learning new thing.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Hours
We held the responsibility of using gps technology of the water system to correct, recolor, or paint a new coating onto fire hydrants throughout the area.
You will not have work life balance here. There is no proper management structure. You will be expected to constantly add more to your crippling work load and get no opportunity for advancement. The lab director does not believe that people can exceed expectations so even the lab “manager” who is just a chemist four and runs over 1/3 of the methods and scarifies their home life doesn’t get an exceeds expectations or promoted to management. Be prepared to be stressed and overworked as well as missing out on any kind of promotional growth proportional to your skill set.
This was one of my favorite jobs I have ever held period! The team I worked with were amazing and help you grow in skill and knowledge as you show your willingness to learn. In 3 months of being at apart of the team they had me doing work that most interns in 2 years weren't. So just put in the work their and they will show you how to be a great tax specialist.
Family atmosphere with full encouragement to move up in the company. Great benefits and bonus. Training each year in safety, customer service, new technology, and different systems.
I am a filter operator at the RM plant and I love it. I have never been apart of union before, but it seems like they will have your back if something were to happen, so that makes you feel good and secure when you go to work. I worked for a municipality for about a year and a half prior starting here in August and it is like night and day; benefits, salary, perks and people are not comparable. The entire culture is safety and customer oriented, both of which are great for the employee. My job is very demanding and the shift work is not ideal sometimes, but you get used to it and I feel that I am doing something productive and meaningful with my time because what I do is important by bringing clean drinking water to the people we serve.

Pros:

- Benefits and Salary

- Good raises every 6 months (until 4 years)

- 5 Day weekend every month

- Shift differential

Cons:

- Rotating shifts
Horrible Mgrs, they change process's but don't request info from the actual people who do the job their input causing more problems and more work load to correct and get back to what actually works.
American water was a good company to work for the work was hard at first only because the different states that we serviced there was 14 different states and each state you had to learn different rules
Working at American Water has good benefits. And good pay. Holidays you are paid double time and a half. Overtime is usually Monday’s only. I make about 1050 every two weeks.
I've been with the company for quite a few years and I have seen many managers come and go yet I see the company stay true to their beliefs in taking care of the customer.
I enjoyed working here because it was very relaxed, also a little challenging at times. My co-workers and my supervisors were friendly and easy to work with.
Great place to work, paid training and training was thorough. Once you’re on the floor and out of probationary period there was significant mandatory overtime, however. Usually 10 hours a week minimum if you did not volunteer for enough. Often lunches would be cut from an hour to 30 minutes on very short notice and your shift would be extended by 1-2 hours with little notice. Pay was good, management was supportive, environment was fun, but the hours were very long and there wasn’t much work/life balance.
The company did not offer training or outside resources for advancement within the company. Continuing education was not provided as an incentive to offer more assistance in implementing new innovations toward the mission of the company.
Advancement and raises are non existent. Negotiate when you get hired. Management would rather hire outside the company even though your qualified, would rather spend money and train someone who will leave after two months. The Monterey District is a complete joke. Don’t waste your time.
Money was good, wfh was good. TERRIBLE management. There was a new manager every year for 13 years. Constant reorgs. This place had the most horrendous culture of any job I have ever had.
Awesome company to work for. Was sad to leave and my boss/owner was in tears after having to let me go. They are like family within a work business environment.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Water. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight