American Water Employee Reviews

poor labor relations
Water Distribution Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 18, 2018
Went through 5 Human Resource representatives.
Safety manager non existent.
Manager turnaround! They let good one go and keep bad ones forever.
Many are waiting to retire and seem to be coasting.
Cons
Not equal Employment, Not safe. No training for new hires.
Bad management
Operator I (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOSeptember 14, 2018
They put someone in charge that hired only his friends,
heavy work load due to other workers inexperience
Branson management is a joke, lying is the norm.
Pros
Good pay and great benefits
Good job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Excellent fast pace job to work, great pay and great people. I really enjoyed working there. Great place for advancement and meeting new co workers. Great life work balance
Pros
Free food, bonus and clothing
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Toxic culture
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJSeptember 13, 2018
American Water is split between field operations and a shared services organization. There is a significant lack of accountability for the field which leads to all of the problems being dumped on the shared service organization. Working in the service organization is like being a parent constantly cleaning up behind a poorly behaved child
Great work envirnoment
Billing Specialist/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for american water. I wished they had people who are team players instead of this is not my job. Great work environment , friendly atmosphere, over worked and under paid. The position required 3 person operation instead of one person. You have to wear many hats and management do not acknowledge you for your hard work and dedication to the company.
Pros
Great benefit
Cons
Poor management
Good company
Utility Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Belle Mead, NJSeptember 6, 2018
Management is hit or miss. Must be willing to work overtime. Work is hard, in extreme temperatures. Job security with the union. Unions differ between locations.
Pros
Union
Cons
Extreme temperatures
Steer Clear!
Data Entry/SAP (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 3, 2018
not a good place, low pay even for a temp assignment. IT'S NOT WORTH THE TIME OR EFFORT. steer clear of this company!

not a good place, low pay even for a temp assignment.
Great copmany
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAAugust 20, 2018
American Water is a great company to work for. I had the opportunity to build two new waster water plants and get the education to understand waste water treatment.
Poor Work Environment
Business Process Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 16, 2018
Very little direction. Management expects outside personnel to provide answers to problems. Significant problems in ERP systems make technology advancement impossible. Constant turnover in workforce is unnerving.
Pros
free lunches and ping pong tables
Cons
poor career choice
Nice Co-workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE/BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 14, 2018
American Water is a nice place to work. Many good co-workers who care about the customers and are willing to go the extra mile. A lot of overtime, which can be stressful. Salary is decent and the benefits are great
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
They can require overtime without much notice
Constant Restructuring
Compensation Manager (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJJuly 31, 2018
American Water is striving to be one of the top companies in it's field, which I believe the current CEO will achieve, however, at what cost? There are constant restructures of departments which many times results in job eliminations.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Little Work-Life Balance, job insecurity
Just a check
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 26, 2018
Have to relocate to advance. The pay does not keep up with the cost of living. However, my previous manager who left was an awesome guy. Did everything he could to make sure things was on point.
Pros
A pay check
Cons
too many
American Water is great company to work for.
Customer Service Center Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 19, 2018
I love the people I work with and the job that we do. .The area I live in just does not have that many opportunities for advancement unless you want to be a supervisor. We care about our employees and our customers.
Pros
Competitive Salary and Benefits Good People
Cons
The overtime is extreme sometimes due to call volume
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJune 30, 2018
Able to work independently , good benefits package, paid time off, able to make field decisions without consulting supervision. Company pays for training.
Terrible Place To Work
Call handling agent (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 21, 2018
Beware Beware Beware!!! You'll get fired in training!!!! Even though you have good QA scores and test scores they'll plot and fire you.... Beware!!!!! How do you get fired while in training you ask? I couldn't even tell you. If I'm not mistaken when you're in training that means you're new right? And you're going to make mistakes right? Hahahaha WRONG!!!! You have to be perfect in training. I had 3 QA scores 94, 90, 98 you couldn't get below an 80 and my midterm score was 98 but I got fired because "I wasn't getting the material" but I'm in "training" though. If you ever get hired for this position please be on your P's and Q's and be absolutely perfect in training class or they'll let you go as well.
Pros
The Customers are Friendly
Cons
Dishonest and will set you up for failure
A Company Like Water
Contract Assistant - Legal (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJune 1, 2018
American Water is not a stagnant company. it is ever moving and developing like the commodity it handles. The management seems to be in step with the overall goals of the company and steers the employees in that direction. The employees work well together and enjoy celebratory events whenever possible. After hours and offsite gatherings are common but so are long but productive hours. The company is tolerant and respectful of diversities. Hard work is rewarded and often celebrated. it is a great place to work.
Pros
A great working atmosphere with opportunity to grow
Cons
Long hours often especially during a new project
american water
Water Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMay 30, 2018
Management and organization is something that needs to be worked on within the company. Other then that its a good place to work and pay good and benefits are good.
Temp. Position
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for american water. It was a temp position was very easy to work with everyone. The hardest part was my contract ending. Typical day at work was nothing out of the norm
Good place to learn utilities customer support
Support sales (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 20, 2018
I worked midnight at this job. I had an excellent supervisor and in-depth training before nesting then on board to work as a CSR. The people here were friendly and the work was enjoyable there were some times during the midnight shift when things got slow but all in all, I enjoyed this job before I left.
started out good, became stressful
Distribution Office Clerk, Indiana (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 16, 2018
Typical day was general office work. Coworkers became friends mostly. I learned to operate all types of office equipment. The culture was formal. Not allowed to interact a lot.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
incompetent bosses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Water. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

80%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.