American Water Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Terrible Place To Work
Call handling agent (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 21, 2018
Beware Beware Beware!!! You'll get fired in training!!!! Even though you have good QA scores and test scores they'll plot and fire you.... Beware!!!!! How do you get fired while in training you ask? I couldn't even tell you. If I'm not mistaken when you're in training that means you're new right? And you're going to make mistakes right? Hahahaha WRONG!!!! You have to be perfect in training. I had 3 QA scores 94, 90, 98 you couldn't get below an 80 and my midterm score was 98 but I got fired because "I wasn't getting the material" but I'm in "training" though. If you ever get hired for this position please be on your P's and Q's and be absolutely perfect in training class or they'll let you go as well.
Pros
The Customers are Friendly
Cons
Dishonest and will set you up for failure
A Company Like Water
Contract Assistant - Legal (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJune 1, 2018
American Water is not a stagnant company. it is ever moving and developing like the commodity it handles. The management seems to be in step with the overall goals of the company and steers the employees in that direction. The employees work well together and enjoy celebratory events whenever possible. After hours and offsite gatherings are common but so are long but productive hours. The company is tolerant and respectful of diversities. Hard work is rewarded and often celebrated. it is a great place to work.
Pros
A great working atmosphere with opportunity to grow
Cons
Long hours often especially during a new project
american water
Water Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMay 30, 2018
Management and organization is something that needs to be worked on within the company. Other then that its a good place to work and pay good and benefits are good.
Temp. Position
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for american water. It was a temp position was very easy to work with everyone. The hardest part was my contract ending. Typical day at work was nothing out of the norm
Good place to learn utilities customer support
Support sales (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 20, 2018
I worked midnight at this job. I had an excellent supervisor and in-depth training before nesting then on board to work as a CSR. The people here were friendly and the work was enjoyable there were some times during the midnight shift when things got slow but all in all, I enjoyed this job before I left.
started out good, became stressful
Distribution Office Clerk, Indiana (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 16, 2018
Typical day was general office work. Coworkers became friends mostly. I learned to operate all types of office equipment. The culture was formal. Not allowed to interact a lot.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
incompetent bosses
Review
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJMay 15, 2018
Busy and non-stop! There are some really good people with the company. It is an extremely busy and you must be willing to work hard. There is a lot!
Fantastic Company
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJMay 15, 2018
They always had a lot of work for me to do. The company is kind of hard to get into though. They could do a better job of recruiting young talent. Great company overall.
Productive and Reliable
Billing Specialist/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 10, 2018
American water allowed me to advance and learn more about the utility environment. I have learned how to deal with irate customer and explaining billing invoices as well as scheduling service orders and explained billing issues
Pros
The set hours/schedule
Cons
Mandatory Overtime
great job
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAMay 7, 2018
I enjoyed my position and the experience I gained from working here. It was a great working atmosphere was great to work in. I met a lot of great people
Water Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAApril 3, 2018
American Water is a great place to work, they are family oriented ,great benefits,people are easy to get along with, Supervisor are equal opportunity and professional.
Poor management
Lead Technician/ QAQC (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMarch 30, 2018
Worked for them for 6 years and they stab you right in the back, worked 60 plus hours a week always on call no loyalty.
They don’t promote who is qualified only those who kiss butt
Great benefits, culture in flux
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 25, 2018
The people and the benefits are the greatest part of working for American Water. The company is constantly changing its org structure and goals which creates a challenge.
Great Salary/Benefits, but horrible work environment bully atomosphere
HR/Payroll/Benefits (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJMarch 20, 2018
The company has a lot of great benefits and the pay is great. One department doesnt know what the other one is doing and no one works as a collective team. The payroll department is the worse god forbid if you call for assistance or additional infotmation you are made to feel like the biggest idiot. Your better off on your own. For a company with over 5,000 employees we are way behind as far as technology. We use various different programs that can not seem to get the job done, its a constant struggle.
Pros
Benefits, stock options, and telecommute options
Cons
Lack of management, rude co workers, horrible technology
No advancement, training and not good communication with management
Operator V (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAMarch 19, 2018
I worked for contract services so I don’t know about the regulated side I was there for 2.5 years and there was poor support from management when it came to training, equipment needed, and safety concerns. The pay was no where near market rate for similar positions in the area, it seems to me they didn’t appreciate their employees. But it is a alright stepping stone for the water operator profession, if you do work there get a year or two experience and get out.
Pros
Coworkers, experience
Cons
Pay, management, communication, support.
Great work culture
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJMarch 12, 2018
Safety is top priority, great benefits and time with your family. Management is very helpful to get your job complete. Winter months are the hardest part of the job.
I was a contrator
Onsite Staffing Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 7, 2018
I oversaw a project to hire for Union, Non-union for CS & Sale for 6 months the work environment was great the people were very motivating great training staff.
Pros
Great training staff
Cons
Wonderlic testing
Bad culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 5, 2018
A place where brown-nosing people thrive. You will be promoted because of who you know, not what you know. Management always consider themselves the smartest people and best communicators in the world, and all try to pretend to be the kind of people they are actually not: approachable and honest.
Pros
Healthcare plan is good.
Cons
Bad culture. Being technically smart actually is a big minus. You need to be very people-smart.
Good Company to work for
Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) –  College Park, GAFebruary 27, 2018
They took a chance and hired me without having a proper license but trained me and gave me the opportunity to gain my license within a year of higher.
Pros
good management friendly company
Cons
24 hours operations at my job site
No direction, no advancement
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 22, 2018
They have made it clear that there really isn't any way to advance with the company. Likewise, they offer no direction, no clear goals, and no clear way on how you are evaluated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Water. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss