American Woodmark Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Only worth it for the money.
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INSeptember 8, 2018
Don't bother working here if you have a family that you would like to spend time with. You will have a set schedule, but you almost never work those hours. An 8 hour day is never guaranteed. You won't know if you are working 8,9,10,11, or 12 hours until 30 minutes before your scheduled 8 is over. Management is terrible and they do not care about the employees. Most of the jobs are pretty easy, but the most physically demanding jobs have the lowest pay. I've worked there for 4 and a half years, and it's just going down hill. Most of the people that honestly care about their employees have quit or are planning on quitting. Also, a majority of the good workers are leaving, too. But if you desperately need a paycheck, they are always hiring and the pay is decent.
Pros
Pay, Insurance benefits, Some co-workers
Cons
Work/life balance, Management, Long hours, Very hot, HR is useless, Extremely high turnover rate
Good
Cabnet fixer and touch up repair (Former Employee) –  Gas City, INSeptember 5, 2018
They were good until I had my miscarriage and my Dr put me off for 2-3 weeks and it was either get fired or quiet so I quiet and filled out paper work to get what I put in my 401k and they sent it to me
Pros
Money and benfiets
Cons
Sometimes understanding
Easy going place with nice people and clean facility
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZSeptember 4, 2018
A typical day while busy also remains relaxed and repetitive. Being in assembly you have one job and one job only so that may be tiring for some. Days go by quickly and everyone works very well together. Management is very understanding and helpful and continues to ensure everyone is working safely and efficiently.
Pros
Many vending machines with a variety of snacks and meals, electrolyte pops always in the break room
Cons
Repetitive motions, hours may be short depending on production for the day.
Production
Brusher/Wiper (Former Employee) –  Gas City, IN 46933August 22, 2018
Production was very slow due to equipment failure and lack of proper staffing. I enjoyed working with the people that was around me. Upper management I feel needed to be more intuned with their staff
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Overall a good company to work for
Provider-Vendor Quality Lead (Former Employee) –  Gas City, INAugust 9, 2018
If you come to work, and do your job, you will not have issues. Company tries to involve employees, and has good volunteer program with Habitat for Humanity. Long hours. Hot environment.
Pros
good insurance
Mill Operator (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDAugust 8, 2018
Great work family. The management team is always there to make sure everyone is on task and taken care of the way they need. Safety meeting are held every day before shift start to review what needs worked on as a team.
Great career opportunities
Kitter (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 7, 2018
Even if you're starting at an entry level position, there are amazing career opportunities with this employer. I have seen several people work their way from entry level positions into production and plant manager roles. The job is physical, however the benefits are amazing. The company does really care about their employees, something not often found in manufacturing.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off, job security
Cons
Physically demanding, mandatory overtime
Its Ok
Builder/ Tech (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 4, 2018
Its a job in the least sense. If you need something and dont mind working hard thats great but be prepared to sweat sweat and sweat. A factory in the desert with some swamp coolers that dont help much.
Cons
Short and few breaks. Low end pay for fast paced psychical work.
Good place.
Loader (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDAugust 4, 2018
If you show up. And are willing to work. Willing to work hard. It’s a great place. There are no difficult jobs there and they try to take care of the employee as best they can.
Don't live up to their own values
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INAugust 1, 2018
The corporate values are wonderful and if followed the place would be fantastic. Unfortunately they let production needs (greed) get in the way far too often. People are working long days and getting promoted is a matter of being friends rather than performing.
Pay is good and benefits are better than average.
There is a reason they have a 60% turnover in the hourly group and close to that in salary.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
uncaring and disinterested management
Acceptable
Technical Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZJuly 31, 2018
Typical day at work can be anything from networking issues to developing new project plans for hardware installs. I handle software issues, database, networking, programming, hardware, user issues, RFID technology, and standard troubleshooting.
Fun, fast paced work
Lead, packer, operator, loader. (Former Employee) –  Moorefield, WVJuly 30, 2018
I loved the atmosphere, aside from normal warehouse childishness, my team found a way to make the day safe and beneficial in a physical and mental sense.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Unnecessary involvement in employees personal lives
Not a bad job if the management was better
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 27, 2018
It could be a great place but the constant meetings for corporate nonsense and lack of communication makes it more stressful than anything. Lots of people playing the name game, blaming others for mistakes because they don’t want to lose their job. The office is lots of temps so it’s hard to get into a grove with people constantly coming and going.
Benefits
Cons
Management and turnover
Great place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Gas City, INJuly 27, 2018
Great place to work. Fast paced and very active. It will keep you in shape and on your toes. I really enjoyed the motivation of trying to work faster than the others in your area.
stressful and unorganized
Cycle Counter(inventory) (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GAJuly 26, 2018
As an inventory counter/ cycle counter it was my duty to make sure that all items were accounted for and that they were all in their correct locations. Most supervisors did not enforce/confront the issues at hand. Working at American Woodmark means that there needs to be a good cycle flow which means that everyone does their part to ensure that each department can fulfill all duties that are necessary.
Pros
paid time off, sick days, extended point system
Cons
lack of organization and communication
A lot of bad decisions made by management concerning particular departments which make it harder for the workers in my opinion.
Ga - Kitter/Picker (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAJuly 23, 2018
If you are interested in working at AWC be prepared to work in a very stressful and uncomfortable investment. These are the opinions of myself and a number of other people that was previously and are presently employed by this company. But hey, experience is the best teacher.
Benefits
Cons
Management decision making
Decent place to be
Kitter (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJuly 17, 2018
Good people, always worth a shot to try it out if it’s for you. I lost 80 working there so can’t complain. Management isn’t the best but that’s to come with such a large company.
Great Place to Work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INJuly 17, 2018
American Woodmark is a great employer due to their continuous focus on their culture and vision of where they want the company to go. AWC focuses on developing you and promotion from within and does not restrict you to a regimented career path. They pay decently, have some great ways to save for retirement, and good benefits. Work-life balance can be a negative it you work at some of the production facilities, but overall I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot.
Pros
Culture, Career Opportunities, Retirement, Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance
I would recommend. Demanding hours. Good for someone who needs work it is available.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INJuly 11, 2018
Preventative Maintenance, A variety of floor calls . These range from working on building and grounds area to Machines that are responsible production runs. Duties vary from Electrical to as simple as roof repairs or clean-ups. It varies greatly. Each day is a new adventure.
Pros
No Comment
Cons
No Comment
good company to work for
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 9, 2018
American Woodmark is a good company to work for. They have a good workplace culture and decent benefits. Healthcare is a little expensive. Hours can be a pro or con, depending on what schedule you get assigned.
Pros
lots of out of office opportunities
Cons
healthcare is not great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Woodmark Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight