American Woodmark Corporation Employee Reviews

Only worth it for the money.
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INSeptember 8, 2018
Don't bother working here if you have a family that you would like to spend time with. You will have a set schedule, but you almost never work those hours. An 8 hour day is never guaranteed. You won't know if you are working 8,9,10,11, or 12 hours until 30 minutes before your scheduled 8 is over. Management is terrible and they do not care about the employees. Most of the jobs are pretty easy, but the most physically demanding jobs have the lowest pay. I've worked there for 4 and a half years, and it's just going down hill. Most of the people that honestly care about their employees have quit or are planning on quitting. Also, a majority of the good workers are leaving, too. But if you desperately need a paycheck, they are always hiring and the pay is decent.
Pros
Pay, Insurance benefits, Some co-workers
Cons
Work/life balance, Management, Long hours, Very hot, HR is useless, Extremely high turnover rate
Wish I could give better review but...
Technical Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZJanuary 31, 2019
Wish I could give this job a better review, but it just wasn't a great job. Being a manager at this job, or supervisor, is not something I would recommend to anyone. Being an employee on the floor is ok at best. There is an environment that is in line with other manufacturing plants where there are cliques and then there are loners. There are very few people who want you to succeed in this environment. The main company itself is full of wonderful people but this location is a complete mess, and the turnover is high. I would rate it as one of the worst jobs I have ever had, and I have worked in fast food before.
Pros
Great company overall, build a fantastic product
Cons
Pay, cut-throat co-workers, very inexperienced management, high turnover, cliques, technical positions are used as a dart board for everything that goes wrong.
Internal organizaional issues with upper management
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GAJanuary 28, 2019
Very poorly managed organization with lots of micro management. The workplace culture is vaguely defined and very different than most organizations, in that it caters to the ethnic majority of the employee segment. The attrition rate is astronomical, which creates unnecessary stress when attempting to train hourly associates. Metric expectations are very high and it is followed with very little support from upper management. In addition, it is a very passive aggressive environment to work in.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
high turnover rate
Great Place to Work
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INJuly 17, 2018
American Woodmark is a great employer due to their continuous focus on their culture and vision of where they want the company to go. AWC focuses on developing you and promotion from within and does not restrict you to a regimented career path. They pay decently, have some great ways to save for retirement, and good benefits. Work-life balance can be a negative it you work at some of the production facilities, but overall I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot.
Pros
Culture, Career Opportunities, Retirement, Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance
Poor Management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Berryville, VAFebruary 18, 2019
Good: Great job security, benefits, yearly raise and bonus potential, job protection under FMLA.

Bad: Poor Management, fake culture, nepotism, and upper management dishonesty.
It's a productive place for sure
CNC Machinist operator (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDFebruary 7, 2019
What I hate is been there almost 4 yrs and have put job placement bids in for higher or better jobs. My work performance 100% no cut say otherwise I've put in for eleven or twelve jobs denied on all but one I miss maybe two days a year do more teamwork then 20people and always on top of quality. I am certified electrician was a supervisor for seven years elsewhere 10yrs warehouse exp top it off associates degree in business management a guy in charge is a pill addict another one in charge has two cfis and leaves work when he is stressed with Co workers he's a lead. Another was there for six months and knew one job but moved up before me I know 18jobs in allegany plant I can't move up wow and why. Im a hard worker and they are making me go elsewhere so I can move up thanks alot American woodmark.you have crushed me and lowered my self esteem to an all time low don't ever say your family oriented and you give credit where credit is due cause that's a lie so thank you for making me feel like im worthless you have accomplished that. A close friend killed himself because of that place so is it a good place to work if upper management likes you it's possible you may move forward but I honestly think it's just a regular job and no better then working at McDonald's or Burger King or some crummy place like that.
Pros
The nice good people will never move up so that's a con
Cons
Short breaks, expensive benefits, no advancement
Fast paced & Friendly Environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GADecember 28, 2018
AWMC is a very great company to work for, it has great pay with benefits. The people there treat you as if you are part of the family, & if you don’t know something they have classes & people come up to you through the month to insure that you are on top of things to get your job done effectively!
Pros
Early Vacation, Pto, Discounts, Pay
Cons
Management, Overworked
Awful place to work
Moulder Operator (Current Employee) –  Monticello, KYDecember 27, 2018
You are not treated fairly. They pay is level pay so the less work you do the more you make. Quality is king and mangemt dont know what they are doing. Been their almost a year and only got 2 10 cent raises. And any little thang you do can be a write up. You are seen as a liability in the eyes of the mangemt.
Pros
Benafits are ok
Cons
Shouldn't have stayed there as long as I did.
Field Supervisor 1 (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 6, 2018
I've written e-mails since the 90's with no complaints. When I first started, my supervisor told me not to use such big words (nobody had even mentioned that before). This is their middle management. This waste of life job went downhill from there.
Cons
If you're salary, they think they own you.
Fast pace
QA Inspector (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAJuly 3, 2018
A typical day at work can be very stressful in this company starting with people not showing up to work and also the lazy ones who don't care about anyone but themselves. Management is so unorganized and very judgmental. The hardest part about job is going into work and trying to be positive when you know that your night just isn't going to go so well. I have enjoyed meeting new people and learning their culture and also learning their work style as well.The workplace culture is mixed, and some aren't so sure about "color". But then again, you have some that come into work and are very hard working and ready to do their job and then get back to their life and family outside of work.
Pros
10 minute breaks every 2 hours
Cons
short breaks
Plenty to do with very good pay/benefits for the area
AS Saw 2 Operator (Current Employee) –  Humboldt, TNOctober 11, 2018
Really good benefits and perks. The hourly staff are great, as well as the lower levels of salary. It’s said that the company revolves around its culture, but if you speak to any of the employees that have been there 2+ years you find out that the culture is dead.
Pros
Free food/snacks frequently
Cons
Poor communication
Productive and fast paced
Assembly Line Worker/Production (Former Employee) –  Gas City IndFebruary 12, 2019
Really enjoyed the people that I worked with. I liked the 401k that they offered and the paid sick days and the vacation time that you received after a year.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
It is an awesome place to work. There was ways new opportunities to advance in all different job positions.
Flatstock (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZJanuary 17, 2019
Working at american woodmark was a great expirience. There was always communication on how to improve. And you're ideas are always tamen into consideration. You also get to learn tons of new things that come in handy in every day activities. And whays even greater is that there is no expirience needed when first applying for work right out of high school.
Pros
Benefits are incredible. Look forward to going to work.
Cons
Only con about this job is that it gets very hot inside warehouse.
Nightmare Employer!
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GAOctober 19, 2018
I had the misfortune of working for the Jackson, GA plant but the horrible management extends throughout the entire organization. The production employees are treated marginally better than slave labor. The points system for attendance is so outrageous turnover is a constant. They cannot crew as fast as they fire people. Hourly employees in production work anywhere from 8-15 hours a day with minimal breaks, and in a non-air conditioned plant in the deep south, which is miserably hot. Employees are merely a means to an end and provide no perceived value to the organization's management team other than simply as a cog in a process. I wouldn't refer my worst enemy to work for this organization!
Pros
Annual conference out of state
Cons
Literally everything.
Great career opportunities
Kitter (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 7, 2018
Even if you're starting at an entry level position, there are amazing career opportunities with this employer. I have seen several people work their way from entry level positions into production and plant manager roles. The job is physical, however the benefits are amazing. The company does really care about their employees, something not often found in manufacturing.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off, job security
Cons
Physically demanding, mandatory overtime
production very fast pace
kitter (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GADecember 13, 2018
stay to your self and stay focused, working on a production time and your raises depend on your production and quality. Making sure you may attention to good parts to bad parts.
Don't live up to their own values
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INAugust 1, 2018
The corporate values are wonderful and if followed the place would be fantastic. Unfortunately they let production needs (greed) get in the way far too often. People are working long days and getting promoted is a matter of being friends rather than performing.
Pay is good and benefits are better than average.
There is a reason they have a 60% turnover in the hourly group and close to that in salary.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
uncaring and disinterested management
A lot of bad decisions made by management concerning particular departments which make it harder for the workers in my opinion.
Ga - Kitter/Picker (Current Employee) –  Jackson, GAJuly 23, 2018
If you are interested in working at AWC be prepared to work in a very stressful and uncomfortable investment. These are the opinions of myself and a number of other people that was previously and are presently employed by this company. But hey, experience is the best teacher.
Benefits
Cons
Management decision making
Not a bad job if the management was better
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 27, 2018
It could be a great place but the constant meetings for corporate nonsense and lack of communication makes it more stressful than anything. Lots of people playing the name game, blaming others for mistakes because they don’t want to lose their job. The office is lots of temps so it’s hard to get into a grove with people constantly coming and going.
Benefits
Cons
Management and turnover
Good
Cabnet fixer and touch up repair (Former Employee) –  Gas City, INSeptember 5, 2018
They were good until I had my miscarriage and my Dr put me off for 2-3 weeks and it was either get fired or quiet so I quiet and filled out paper work to get what I put in my 401k and they sent it to me
Pros
Money and benfiets
Cons
Sometimes understanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Woodmark Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight