Americold Employee Reviews

Found 970 reviews matching the search See all 1,006 reviews
Malisima
Forlift Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2019
Mala gestión del gerente, es indiferente cuando un trabajador le comunica mal trato por parte de otro empleado.
Pros
Nada
Cons
Mal salario, seguro carisimo
An experience to work for and easy learning.
Custodian 1 (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARMarch 19, 2019
Good job to work for. Experience for someone that has never worked in a freezer.You had to stay wrapped up tight but I would recommend this job for someone who is fast paced at work.The freezer is a hard job at first but,you get use to it.
fast paced but fun place to work
Lift Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAMarch 18, 2019
I enjoyed this job because the time flew by. Its a freezer warehouse at -20 degrees below zero! but I was a voice-picker for this company and you are constantly moving by the time you are don its time to go home, also they provide you with a freezer suite and gloves for you so u can perform the duties required.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
-20 degrees
Poor management. Bad environment.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 15, 2019
The management was very very poor. You had to work in a cooler all day, and management could of done a better job of supporting the people striving and working. Instead they showed lack of concern, and had multiple complaints to the Corporate OFFICE.
Bad Vibes
The best employee ever (Former Employee) –  TxMarch 15, 2019
All im going to say is they do not know what they are doing at that company. Do not even apply for these guys. Trust me just take my word for it. Don't apply, go to school dont waste your time here.
Pros
Nothing pro
Cons
No comnunication, lack of professionalism, lack of communication, rude, unprofessionalism, unorganized.
No Available
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYMarch 12, 2019
The commute was not working out. They worked with a little bit on this and but driving the corporate truck around NYC was difficult with parking etc. I would like to return one day.
Hard job that pays well
LTO Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2019
Red Prairie keeps the pace very fast it’s very cold but they are unionized and they pay well. Building pallets in the zero below freezer is very hard but you get use to it
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
It’s soo cold
Work is good
LTO (Lift Truck Operator) Sit Down (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2019
The work of those real good you always will stay busy everybody get along with each other everybody help each other all 3 shifts work together. When they added the flesh live that level everything else
Cold.
Lift Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Strasburg, VAMarch 7, 2019
Got terminated after HR handed me my intermittent leave papers for pregnancy complications with fiance.On my one year mark, 3 days after daughters birthday, 14 days before Christmas. Starting pay isnt there for freezing 10 hours everyday with a random schedule.
Pros
Couple people there are awesome
Cons
They hire unsafe drugged up morons
typical boys club
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAMarch 3, 2019
If you didnt watch sports, go to the gym, drink and show up to work drunk and all of the other stuff that goes along with that then you wont get along with anyone there.
Lift Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2019
Not a bad place to work as long as there is enough work. There is plenty of overtime when there is work. However when there is little work your hours will get cut short drastically.
Good plaxe
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Mountville, PAFebruary 25, 2019
I liked it alot it was a comfortable place to work where you could work all day and mind your own buisness and i made good money. I would still be there if i didnt have to move
Horrible management running the company into the ground
Lift truck operator (Former Employee) –  Darien, WIFebruary 24, 2019
I have worked there twice over the past 5 years, in that time there have been 3 general managers and countless supervisors. It seems as if none of them know how to do their job. I started as a full time employee, I then asked to be moved to part time because I was going to school full time and they had us working 6 12 hour days a week. They obliged and moved me to part time on the weekend shift. I was sick one day but I still went to work, my supervisor asked if I was ok and if I needed to leave. I took him up on the offer, but first I asked if that would put me over the allowed sick day and potentially get me fired. He said no because I was part time I didn’t need to worry about that. Long story short, I got a call from HR telling me I was fired and that the supervisor never said that to me. Now they won’t give me back my personal items out of my work locker and have been ignoring my calls for over a month. They won’t mail my things to me and they won’t allow me to come get them. The whole place is a joke and they have already lost multiple HUGE customers because they can’t plan anything out. They just except massive amounts of work with very few employees to do the work. Then the work said employees till they die or quit
Pros
Cons
80 hour weeks in -20 degrees
Horrible hourly wage
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 21, 2019
I only worked here for about 2 days before I just walked out on them.
I had previously worked at a unionized cold storage warehouse in the eastern US for 5+ years. When I found out that Americold was essentially the same type of business, and also had the same employee union, I foolishly assumed that the pay and health insurance was similar to what I had been getting from my previous employer ($17-$20/hr)... boy was I wrong!

After going through their entire hiring process I was a bit peeved to learn, at the last minute, that they were making me work through a temp agency for at least a few weeks until they hired another new employee first. I've never had to do that with a company that was hiring directly before and found it pretty strange and even a little rude. Because of this, I had to also go over to the temp agency and go through an onboarding process with them as well, which consumed my time as well as my vehicle's fuel. I later found out that this other employee had been given preferred treatment because they "had prior experience in cold storage". And I didn't? I had made it pretty clear during the hiring process that I had experience working in an identical environment recently and assumed that was the reason my foot got in the door in the first place. It really made me feel like chopped liver.

On my first day of work I was left in their tiny gross lunch room, surrounded by strangers, for at least 2 hours before I even heard from the supervisor. He finally made a brief appearance to introduce himself and said that he was pretty busy that day, after which
  more... I basically waited another hour or 2 before he finally actually sat down with me an the other couple of new hires. He started the 'orientation' process, during which I was given a dirty pair of old winter overalls that had fistfuls of cigarette butts in both front pockets from the previous wearer. This was to be 'my' pair of overalls to wear for work in the -20 degree warehouse. Real classy. They also had no lockers to give me or the other new hires, so I was instructed to keep my smelly cigarette filled overalls in my vehicle.

By this point I was growing pretty aggravated with the experience and wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into. I had turned down another job offer and already stopped my search once I had landed the position with Americold.

The next day was the breaking point... when I found out that the work schedule was often 6-7 days a week consisting of 10-12 hour days each, and that the hourly pay for the job was.... ready for it?...... $10.25 per hour. $10.25 per hour?! For production forklift work in a freezer warehouse?! Pathetic.
To be clear, you can pretty much make $10.25 an hour almost anywhere these days besides fast food, gas stations, etc. But even the higher end fast food chains like the In-N-Out Burgers pay around $11/hr to start, even in the Vegas area. I'd be making less than a burger/fry cook down the road? By comparison, I had made $10.25/hr back east in an entry level warehouse job 10 years prior. After stewing on everything for a little while I said "no way" to myself and walked out; later notifying them that I was no longer interested in the position.

The whole thing felt like a big waste of time and energy. In retrospect, it kinda made sense because most of the workers I spoke with on day 1 seemed like they were either kids fresh out of high school or rough/sketchy characters in general. I'm old enough to know that, generally, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately for Americold, I know I'm worth a bit more than that. I now make well over $20/hr at a company where I work in an environment that hovers around 45 degrees, and it only requires a fraction of the forklift driving that Americold did. No regrets here.

The union was pretty new here when I got hired. Expect low wages, long hours, and poor representation until they get their act together over the years (if they ever get their act together). In other words, work here at your own risk. $10.25 to break your back in an arctic climate on powered equipment 6-7 days a week while being charged monthly union dues doesn't sound like a very good bargaining arrangement for the employees, but that's just my opinion.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay and long hours
Good starter job
Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAFebruary 20, 2019
I work with this company a couple years. The pay was lacking but they did have a plan to change that. Safety stand point the safety harness that where there when I worked there wer out of date and needed to be changed out. Work flow was high due to not holding operators accountable for damaging equipment.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Cold, workers underpaid compared to other companies
Reveiw
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Fast paced environment Must meet weekly performance standards, Must be able to work a lot of overtime. Job can be stressful at, associate .attitudes.,
Pleasant work environment and great opportunity
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2019
Great communication with co-workers. Completed job responsibilities daily and make deadlines. Prioritized duties..
Enter act with employees.Resolve issues. There was not a sense of an open door policy or culture.
very cold
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARFebruary 18, 2019
I loved working there,was a MHE tech,great people and managment would love to be back on there make sure you have warm clothes.semi fast pace to work so time goes fast.
Pros
alot
Cons
not many
Not sure
Associate Support Personnel (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GAFebruary 17, 2019
It's a warehouse environment. Consistently cold and predominantly men. It's a large community of different goals.So it depends on the individual on what their looking for.
Americold
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoFebruary 13, 2019
I like the job because of the benefits and the pay, they have very good benefits but i have no time to spend with my family. I have to mandatory work holidays and cant even put in vacation time if i have it to do a vacation during the holidays because it is denied doesn't matter if you put it in a year in advanced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Americold. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight