AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Found 2,158 reviews matching the search See all 2,159 reviews
Overall a great place to work if you do not need it for money!
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 23, 2019
A typical day at work included: preparing tests and lessons for the kids, as well as activities that would be fun for them, filing papers, grading the tests, teaching the kids, doing volunteer work and serving the community, and team building with my coworkers. I learned how to handle a lot of different situations and how to deal with people in a polite and professional manner. The hardest part of the job was simply not being paid enough to cover the gas used for the job and having to get food on the job, as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding with coworkers and the kids that we taught. Seeing the kids smiling and having fun while learning things that could save their lives was the best.
Pros
The experience; scholarship
Cons
the travelling
productive
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Being in americorps was really tough i would be at the school for 10 hours a day and it was stressful at times but knowing the change you are making in someones life is really rewarding and I made really strong connections there
Productive, rewarding work place
Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 23, 2019
It was a great experience but wouldn’t be able to live if off it. The kids made it all worth it, a lot of things could’ve been done differently but cityyear did have a set culture and that was nice
A great way to gain hands on experience in your field of work .
Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32501January 23, 2019
The main thing I've learned so far durning my year of service is how to push through adversity and see any task that I've started through to completion.
Productive and grateful
Community Health Worker/ Home Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 22, 2019
I learned a lot of things and the benefits are awesome. The education award is Awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job is work and help the community.
Pros
lot of training.
Cons
no breaks
I don't regret it!
Community Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  OregonJanuary 20, 2019
Recieved training in line to stay on task for checkups throughout the year of service.
A fun and beneficial learning experience where I could grow into who I am while helping others.
My project focused on ending poverty in my community and building volunteer networks set for students to seek out thier own growth in career and interst paths.
Collaborative and Inviting Workplace
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 20, 2019
A typical day involves working with teachers to improve students comprehension in all subjects and building relationships with teachers and students to provide a more enriching academic space. I learned how to be patient and more group oriented and more open to working in groups to complete a task. The supervisors are helpful and create a comfortable workplace culture allowing problems or questions to be discussed freely. The most enjoyable part of the day os working with the students.
a lot of hard work but fun
Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Served an organization that last up to10 months.
Worked with 9-10 people on a team.
Did environmental work while in carnation, Washington planted 6,000 native plants and cleared invasive species.
Worked in Coachella Valley Housing Coalition in Indio, California, provided assistance to a after school program and help to establish homes for migrants
Pros
free lunch
Intense Stressful work, free and frequent travel, Education Award
Wildland Fire Fighter and Disaster Responder (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJanuary 14, 2019
AmeriCorps is a fantastic program where you are presented with a team of individuals who are from the far ends of the US with vastly different ideas, cultures, and beliefs. With this team, you travel across the US to assist agencies, organizations, and individuals in non-profit work including fire-fighting, disaster response and the fight against poverty.
Pros
Provided Travel, housing, meals, education award
Cons
Limited freedom, low pay, no advancement, one year program, long hours, stressful work
Very rewarding . National Service
National Service (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJanuary 11, 2019
Great place when you get done you got either a computer paid for or college up to $4000 . Worked with children and homeless. Fun job. Got stipend pay of $600 a month that was no considered a pay check but the job great way to help people
Productive and open workplace!
City Year AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 9, 2019
The workplace and over culture of the Americorps program I am apart of is well balanced. That's mainly because the team I work on has become extremely close and almost like family.
only there for one year
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJanuary 8, 2019
AmeriCorps VISTA. AmeriCorps VISTA members are passionate and committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency.
nice place to work if you want to give back to the community
Member (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2019
its a nice place to work especially if you want to give back to the community but its only temporary (5 or 10 months depending what program you signed up for) and there are some events (some can be in the evening) you are required to go to and you might to do some work on saturdays (its called service saturdays) and upper management can be a little disorganized and the pay can be a little higher especially due to us having to go to different places here and there and hopefully you'll like the non profit they put you in because you don't pick your non profit placement... overall it's cool and the people are ok
Pros
free food and snacks during training, people are cool, trainings kinda fun
Cons
going to evening events, pay could be higher, you don't pick placement, it's temporary
great oppurtunity
Housing Coordinator/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 7, 2019
if your heart is for the lost then this is great for you.hard work if your not trained but they train well it all depends on your willingness to build
College Coach for Veterans
member (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYJanuary 3, 2019
I worked with veterans. I helped them adjust to university life and helping them find tutors and contacting the VA. I also spent some time doing fundraising for events that we had on campus.
Pros
Made My own hours
Cons
No assistance from base
Enjoyed my placement site. Learned alot and was able to give back.
Student Success Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2019
Americorp shaped me into the person I am today. With the support of students/staff, families and administration, I was able to be fulfill my duties as a success mentor. This position builds character and long lasting relationships.
Pros
Monthly unlimited metro cards; Develop contacts for future employment
Cons
pay (stipend) is too low for NYC cost of living
Productive and a great place to learn
Tenant Organizer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2018
The are always there to listen and help everyone on the job.

Learn a lot about Housing laws. To help people whom think they don't have a voice. Organizing people its extremely hard but they have always helped through
Pros
You learn a lot. They make sure you are prepare for the future
Cons
NONE so far
Daily Routine
JUSTICECORPS INTERN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2018
The work is very fulfilling. Arguably, you help self-represented litigants on what could be the worst day of their life. Your responsibility is to ensure all their questions are answered, provide them with resources and knowledge about their case, and create a comfortable and understanding atmosphere. This internship is definitely in a high-stress environment, but they have trainings and one-on-one's with attorneys and coordinators to help.
Wonderful place to work for!!
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL, Frankfort,KYDecember 26, 2018
AmeriCorps is a wonderful company to work for. It taught me culture competency, and outreach. AmeriCorps is the true meaning of what giving back to your community is.
it was fun but the pay is lacking
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 26, 2018
The job is fun and exciting, but the pay is a lot to be desired. There is not much funding for the program so you do a lot of "do it your self" projects to make ends meet. The staff and clients are really fun and nice.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
does not pay well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4
51.2K

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight