AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

51.1K
Found 1,988 reviews matching the search See all 1,989 reviews
Productive time with children
Member (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 14, 2018
I worked with lots of children on homework and activities. I learned a lot from the children as to what interests that they have and what sparks them in the future. My director was the best. She always had our backs in any cases with children and time off and such. The most enjoyable time was the one on one that we interacted with the children.
Pros
Working on their homework
Cons
Cleaning up the office at the end of day
Fun work place
PARAEDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDAugust 10, 2018
I enjoyed working with students and helping them through subjects that they struggled through in middle school and planning fun rewarding after school activities for doing well in school.
A once in a lifetime experience.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 6, 2018
I LOVED everything about Americorps. Great place to work while changing the lives of young people. We focused on literacy because it is imperative that the children succeed.
Pros
Cons
Limit of 2 year contract.
An eye-opener into the needs of the community
Donor and Volunteer Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 3, 2018
Americorps is a unique experience that allows you to learn while you go, and address issues of poverty in the community through service learning opportunities at a non-profit of your choice. The workplace culture is entirely dependent on the site you choose to serve at, as the Americorps program serves mostly as the liason and a resource for professional development.
The Americorps program itself has a fantastic mission and does a good job of regularly checking in on its members through conference calls.
I learned a lot about how a non-profit works, how to fundraise on a small budget, how to recruit and retain volunteers, and how to communicate more effectively and assertively.
Pros
Education award (tuition assistance) after year of service is complete, paid time off
Summary
AmeriCorps VISTA Member (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOJuly 31, 2018
I worked as an VISTA over the summer and basically worked at different locations, including schools and a Senior Citizen Center. IT was a lot of fun if you like to work with people of all ages, young and old.
Pros
Work with children
Cons
short breaks
Opportunity to give back to the community
Community Service Leader/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDJuly 30, 2018
I worked with at-risk high school students. We incorporated school academics with community involvement. I learned that the at-risk students are bright and intelligent and often misunderstood within the regular school setting. The workplace culture depended upon what the needs were. The hardest part of the job was getting the students to believe in their self worth. The most enjoyable part of the job was building to cohesiveness within the whole group of students and community.
Pros
Creating project that were fulfilling
Cons
N/a
Fun experience
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fulton, NYJuly 30, 2018
I had a great experience joining the AmeriCorp team. I helped to develop and coordinate a summer youth camp program, from which I learned a lot about developing projects.
Decent place, looks great on a resume'
VISTA MBK (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 30, 2018
You get paid at the poverty line for your area of service, so its not a lot of money. but they pay for your travel and training s and you get non competitive eligibility for govt jobs for a year after you have completed your service. Various areas of service in different areas of study so almost anyone can feel fulfilled.
Pros
resume builder, post employment opportunities
Cons
low pay, contract service
The best job
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  GuamJuly 29, 2018
This job was something I considered myself in
It helps you go out and volunteer at different jobs and make you experience things you never done . It helps build your career and such more but then the thing is the challenges missing out on family gathering and such other
Its a tough program
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Auberry, CAJuly 27, 2018
Its a program to help gain experience. I spend 8 days at a time sleeping in a tent working to create fuel breaks with chainsaws falling trees and clearing potential fuels. 10 hour days. Stipend based program.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Getting used to extreme weather
AmeriCorps
Member (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJuly 27, 2018
A typical day at work is, a disaster around every corner. Its fast paced and little room for error. Responding to fires, floods, canteening and nationally for other disasters and supervising those who deploy is stressful yet rewarding. I learned that everyone has their personal ways of doing things. It's best you learn the "book" way of doing things so you can focus more on the mission and the clients. Management was amazing. From the Program director to my executive director, they were supportive and the most influential part of my success. Hardest part of the job is leaving in August. The most enjoyable is having amazing people to work with and being able to help clients with their most immediate needs while fulfilling our mission.
Great experience
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKJuly 25, 2018
This position was part volunteer so the pay was not what you would expect from a regular full-time position. I really enjoyed the experience offered while working for this company. It was educational and an opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay
Interesting work places that vary and allow you to travel the country
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saguache, COJuly 25, 2018
AmeriCorps is a very interesting job selection depending on where you go because it varies from state to state and organization to organization. There may be a cohesive culture around AmeriCorps in terms of intentions but the programs and duties of those organizations range widely.
Pros
Stipends, Education Award, Loan forbearance, and variability of jobs
Cons
Very low pay and strenuous work hours
Loved it
STEM Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 22, 2018
Amazing experience for any young college student met an amazing group of individuals and learned a great amount about the non profit sector, grant writing as well as networking only draw back is stipend will cause you to live at borderline poverty level but who isnt living at that level while in college.
Tutoring and Making a Difference
Math Tutor, Volunteer Event Planner/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 20, 2018
The students and schools in Atlanta are in dire straits and this program effectively helps those in danger of not passing the standardized exams given at the end of the year. In elementary, help is given to reading in 1st-3rd grade. In middle school, help is given in math for 6th-8th graders. Outside of the school, planning other events happened to have an active impact on the community and raise awareness. The team of planners, of which I was part, worked well together, planning four events involving hundreds of volunteers from different corporations headquartered in the Atlanta area.
Pros
Management, Friendships, Changing lives, Raise awareness
Cons
Insufficient Funds, Volunteer, Stipend
Provides a great service to the education program.
Americorp Literacy Aid (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTJuly 18, 2018
This company is great when it comes to assisting struggling kids with reading and comprehension. They employees, that work with the kids, are very well trained and care for their job.
Pros
Great training.
Cons
More pay
Great for willing helpers
Corp-member/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 18, 2018
I loved the work I got to do with Americorps, I volunteered in early childhood centers working with families living in poverty. It exposed us diverse cultures and environments, and it provided a positive impact in children's lives.
Very laid back environment made to enhance young adults skills in the child care field while in school..
Firewall mentor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 18, 2018
I would recommend Firewall centers to anyone in the need of experience for their field of work by also in need of leniency of time for college work and more.
Pros
Day off
Cons
Salary
Great experience if you are ok struggling for a year
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 18, 2018
I have loved both my positions but they pay you a sinfully small amount that means only the best budgeters can survive. You make a difference but you are the cost. This is a good position to get experience but not to build a career. Think carefully before taking on the commitment.
Pros
Community, Making a difference
Cons
Not paid enough or supported enough
productive, interesting jobs
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  West Haverstraw, NYJuly 17, 2018
great place to learn about different jobs in the environmental field. You get stationed in a field that best suites you. There is a week long training period that goes over a bunch and helps you decide what you think you may want to do + team building. The job could be tough at times but it wasn't overbearing. The management was good and they seemed to care about you and your advancement in your career. All the employees were great as well.
Pros
good training, good experience
Cons
pay could of been better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight