AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding work experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMarch 7, 2018
I worked for NCCC branch of AmeriCorps. I enjoyed the work, it was intensive 10 months of working with a small team. As part of such a small work group, it can be stressful.
Emmaus Inc
Explorers Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, MAMarch 7, 2018
I learned a lot during my service year at Emmaus. I enjoyed learning the complexities of non-profits while also making a huge impact on the lives of many homeless children and their families.
I loved americorp
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMarch 7, 2018
I am sad i wont be able to take this with me throught graduate school !!
I recommend this to everyone, I loved my boss, the lady i worked for at my placement site was horrible, but americorps overall has so much to offer!
Good purpose, just not sustainable!
AmeriCorps Service Member (Former Employee) –  Snow Hill, MDMarch 6, 2018
I gained hands-on experience working in a non-profit environment learning many beneficial admin skills, however the compensation was only bearable for the length of the service term. (Not possible to live off it) (But really great experience if money didn't have to do with it)
Americorps
Community Service Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vinton, IAMarch 5, 2018
Americorps been good to me i miss the work the friends and the staff member what a great organization i wish nothing but the best every staff member in that organization keep doing great work thanks Vinton iowa and all the staff memeber s/o to c4
Hard work but very fulfilling
Service Member (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMarch 5, 2018
AmeriCorps is a community paced program that operates differently from state to state depending on the needs of the community. Its a lot of hard work and at times can seem like a thankless job but you are providing affordable or free work for low-income areas or for people who simply can't do for themselves.
Pros
Giving back to the community
Cons
Long hard hours
What I learned
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Verndale, MNMarch 5, 2018
I learned that I enjoyed working with kids way more than I ever thought that I would. It was a great experience that I am extremely glad that I participated in.
Pros
Pretty flexible hours
Productive and from work place
Jumpstart Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 3, 2018
I like to work with this company. I never imagine that I will work as a teacher for children from 3-5 year old. I enjoy to work with children it’s challenging to me because we learn together. Specially i’m from Different country. Throw This work i Learned new words and vacblries.
good place to work to give back to community and peoples lives
Youth Specialist through Americorp (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 3, 2018
great place to work , met a lot of great people who became friends, easy going environment, fun experiences, I learned a lot of great skills, I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a great fun experience with kids and teenagers.
Pros
fun place to work, skill building in nature, relaxed
Interesting work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
Taught GED, ESL, Adult Basic Education, Computer Operation and Life skill training, Learned about human connection, reach one, teach one, having a resident leave the program and relaspe.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
The commitment only would last for two years
NCCC was good
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAFebruary 28, 2018
Not your typical employer, but the work was very fulfilling and the free travel room and board was a huge bonus to me. Loved my team and wouldn't change my Americorps years for the world.
Eye opening experience
Jumpstart Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 28, 2018
This was one of my first initial teaching experiences and it was eye opening to me due to the area we were teaching at. The area which we taught at is in Oakland, more specifically, Fruitvale and many of these kids families have a low-income. Therefore, teaching this kids gave me, and hopefully them, hope that they can amount to anything they desire to be.
Good work enviroment
Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2018
Amazing work environment! Schedule was very flexible and we were able to choose our own hours and days that we went to the classroom. Also had the freedom to alter lesson plans
It's worth it for the students
City Year AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2018
The opportunity to do a year in the Americorps was invaluable and taught me many things such as great time management skills, attention to detail, and people skills. I am very happy I had a chance to work with my students. They make EVERYTHING worth it. However, organization and management at City Year could use a little work. We were often asked to do things really last minute, which makes life pretty terrible when you already don't have enough time to do everything you need to.

A typical day is we get there, argue if we're going to do morning greeting or not (that's a bunch a cheers to greet the students), track down all the students you work with on attendance to make sure they are in school, go to class for the rest of the day until your lunch break/prep period, go to student lunch, run after school programs. Go home. While you are in class, you might do student redirecting, one-on-one/small group tutoring sessions, social emotional learning sessions, and anything else that might come up.
Pros
The students and staff we worked with
Cons
Management, organization
Eclectic Work Environment
Family Support Aid (Current Employee) –  Rio Dell, CAFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoy working for AmeriCorps, as I never have a boring day! I have been coordinating several outreach programs through my position- which I also appreciate!
Interesting place and potential to learn a lot
Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 23, 2018
This is a unique opportunity to work and experience many facets of interdependent groups. A great place to work and learn, a place to recognize and appreciate work and life based on a full holistic scale.
Pros
Meaningful experience
Math Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYFebruary 22, 2018
Was very rewarding in seeing how many ways your presence within a school can help so many different students. The only drawback to the job was their was no way to advance further.
Lots of learning and opportunities for growth abund
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 22, 2018
I was part of a 10 person team that traveled around the Southeast region of the U.S. fulfilling assignments of unmet human needs. We meet so many people through our work and explored a variety of environments. One project had us working in the woods of Alabama helping on a construction habit, another job was working with the Nature Conservatory in the Florida Keys working with plants and another job was working with the Boys & Girls Club in Tennessee. This outfit provides so many opportunities to college-aged young adults and a guarantee that you'll never be bored.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
Flexibility a must! (not an issue I had, but others)
Very good place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoy working with AmeriCorps because it helped me relate to the youth that I have been experienced to work with. It helped me advocate for the youth in our community.
What I learned
Volunteer Coordinator/GED Tutor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 20, 2018
Throughout my term of service, I learned the ins and outs of grant writing and sustainability. I developed a strong work ethic, managed timesheets, developed agendas, coordinated events, produced curriculums, agendas, plans, documents etc. I learned various computer-related skills. All of this I learned under helpful supervisors who took the time to walk me through the process.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4
51.1K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight