AmeriGas Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Enjoyable at times
Truck Driver deliver propane (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNJuly 14, 2018
I liked working at Amerigas delivering propane. Traveled different areas of 2 counties being out on my on talking to customers answer questions.The hardest part being on call in winter time going out in late hours when customer ran out of gas
Benefits
Cons
being on call
Hostile and unfair
CDL Driver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 11, 2018
Company micro manages, is not open to any employee input, pay is low, you are constantly threatened with losing your job. Don’t waste your time. They want 150% from you but compensate you very poorly
Hostile work environment
Bulk Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 4, 2018
Only good for single men with no family and for a short period of time. When business is heavy in winter you're going to work 6 days every week and 13 hours every day. In the summer it's less busy but you carry 150 lbs of hose up and down people's driveways in 95 degree heat. You do around 25 stops with that hose every day. Your knees and shoulders will hurt. Management does not care about employee needs and you will be treated like an animal there. Ever been written up? You'll get written up there. Everyone gets written up for something. There are inward cameras in the trucks, on the yard, and inside the offices. Every driver at this site is expected to drive cylinder exchange, semi, and delivery trucks. You never know what you're driving from day to day or what area you're going to. When you're on call, it's for 7 days straight and runs up until close to midnight. Any time a customer runs out of gas they call you. If you work in a big city you're going to get called all night long. Drivers, office staff, and management are always changing at this site and most employees keep money in the bank in case they're suddenly fired or quit. On top of all these things, all the pressure to work around the clock, and the lack of anyone seeming to have any compassion for any of the people working there, the other propane companies pay significantly more. I switched and got a nice raise on day 1. Other drivers coming from that location say the same thing. Amerigas and specifically the Jacksonville location have a very bad reputation for a good reason. Very few of the people that were there  more... when I worked there are still around.  less
Good Place
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Ramona, CAJuly 2, 2018
It was a good place to be & I would still be there if it was possible. The pay was some what fair, Rich was an excellent manager and mentor. I was lucky to have been there whilst I was.
The Yakima office has a stressful enviornment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJune 23, 2018
Through 4 managers and some employee changes, the office is still very stressful. The software is complicated and takes years to master. There is always help available.
Pros
Near to home.
Cons
Personality conflicts.
exciting and fast paced
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNJune 23, 2018
Excellent environment to work for
health care benefits, paid time off, sign on bonuses
would recommend this place of business to anyone searching for a job!
Worked remotely, frequent travel (90+ %)
Field Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAJune 18, 2018
Frequent travel (part of job description), good training opportunities for employees (safety Related), uneven management style (upper), fair workplace culture.
Pros
Travel, training
Cons
long days, short breaks
It's a place to work
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJune 18, 2018
They offer benefits paid time off and sick days. They have major holidays office and weekends. They do pay more then minimum wage but not much more. Management changes often.
Pros
you get weekends and major holidays office
Cons
work environment
exciting place
Clerical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJune 9, 2018
did my job made a few friends a no stress job but it was a temp service people were really nice hate to leave would defiantly love to go back if any opening were available i miss the atmosphere
Pros
nice invironment
Cons
lower cabnets
District Managers have very little autonomy
District General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeport, CAJune 8, 2018
A typical work day will start around 7AM and end between 5PM and 7PM. During the day you will spend much of your time dealing with customer issues and complaints. The majority of the complaints concern pricing. You will also participate in 1 or 2 conference calls while trying to balance customer and employee issues. I have been in the propane industry for more than 30 years and working for AmeriGas was the least enjoyable. I was fortunate to have a manager who did not micro manage but those above him would and that was frustrating for someone like myself that has done this for many years. There is very little local control over customer pricing and this leads to tremendous challenges with the customers and employees. The office people are often berated and slandered by the customers because of the pricing structure which leads to greater turnover than you might see with other organizations. The safety culture is very good but sometimes frustrates the heck out of the long term employees due to the redundancy of safety topics. Overall I would not recommend managing for AmeriGas unless you don't mind being micro managed and told how to run your business. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people, complainers aside. I enjoyed working with the public and most of the employees were good people just trying to make a living.
Pros
Decent salary and benefits
Cons
Long hours and very little actual managing authority, extremely high prices as compared to the competition
Productive and fun at time
Customer Relations Representative (CRR) (Former Employee) –  Kulpsville, PAJune 6, 2018
Answering phones etc performing csr duties. Management was ok. People were nice to work with. Hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers over high pricing issues. Most enjoyable part of the day was working with nice office personnel.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
not enough help in winter
Do not recommed
CRR (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 5, 2018
I do not recommend working with this company at all. Went thru 3 managers in 3 years that should tell you a lot right there. Expected employees to do 12 hour job in 8 hour period.
Pros
very goal driven, many small perks
Cons
too concerned with bottom line. do not really care about customers
na
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  ohioMay 31, 2018
new sales training is not very effective. unreal wanted sales day. great company to work for tho. Great paid vacation. great commission structure. Great management
great place to work, family oriented,
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Laconia, NHMay 27, 2018
My typical day was entering Ace tickets, answering phones, taking payments, helping customers as they come into the office.
I learned many things from my time at AmeriGas, they will send you out for training if it was something new they were implementing.
My manager was fairly new to our district so I didn't have a lot of information. I can tell you that he was there for anyone to help if they needed it. Always checked on our team daily to see how we were if we needed anything, etc.
The hardest part of the job I do have to say is the negativity from angry customers, also no matter where you work if your working with the public you're going to get an upset customer. You just have to do the best you can to defuse the situation and try to turn it around.

The most enjoyable part of my job were my co-workers, love them.
Most of all was talking to our customers, then before you know it they have become a friend. Customers that you work with often will in turn only want to deal with you because you helped them
Pros
Benefits and great work environment
Cons
sometimes too busy to take a break or lunch.
i loved working at AmeriGas
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 26, 2018
Our manager was new, she was a very fair manager. Very helpful. I enjoyed delivering propane to homes and businesses. It could be a very fast paced or during the summer it was a bit slower. All of the employees were very helpful in my learning of delivering and dealing with customers.
A very quick paced and fun place to work
CRR - Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Mammoth Lakes, CAMay 22, 2018
AmeriGas was a wonderful place to work. We handled phone lines for 2 districts, Mammoth Lakes CA and Bishop CA and toward the end of my employment, they had added Lone Pine CA district as well. My District Manager was a very tough as nails, funny, hard working manager. He made the office very relaxing at times as well as educated me on any question that I asked regarding propane or propane related products. We did fundraisers for the salvation army by raising food for Thanksgiving. A toy drive with the local Police Department for Christmas. He never said no when it came to supporting a local event or family.
Pros
Benefits, one hour lunch. work schedule Monday thru Friday 8a-5p, weekends off with paid holidays off
Cons
When the company would raise gas prices.
Amerigas
Delivery Representative (Current Employee) –  VAMay 21, 2018
A typical day at work is making sure that I meet customer needs and making sure that I took every step in making sure that I met their expectations. Everyday at my job I learn how important it is to listen to the customers and taking back to my district the feedback from them to my supervisor and making sure that I address their concerns to the corporate office. Management is okay within my district. I do not have anything that is hard at my job except making sure that I do everything safely at customer locations and if I had to say the hardest part of my job is making sure to be on the look out of other drivers being that I drive a bob tail gas truck and that would be looking out for other drivers that may be distracted being on their phone or doing other things behind the wheel. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeking the customer happy and knowing that I did everything that I could in taking care of the customer and if I did that then I am happy with myself. That is the most important part of my job is making sure that the customer is happy and are getting the customer service that they are expected from Amerigas and me as the driver.
Very Stressful
Bulk Driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2018
Its not the worst place to work for but the management ruins the job on a daily basis. From the moment i started working there which took 3 weeks to get hired, I was consistently threatened with termination due too not working my route fast enough. On call is a joke they rope you in with a lie saying you only have to go out if its an emergency but they really mean if anyone runs out of gas you have to go out. favoritism is a major problem for the Sacramento location drivers can just miss a stop with no penalty while other are written up on the spot. And life work balance is a joke your going to be putting in 12 hour days no matter how efficient you get your route down cause they will just load you up with more work.
Pros
cant recall any
Cons
work life balance, pay, management, equipment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Nothing much to say. Work was easy. Can be stressful at times. Co workers are pretty cool. Wish they paid a little more but it’s not terrible. Decent location.
Great Company
Sr. Director of Web and Mobile Technology Center (Current Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAMay 8, 2018
Great company to learn and grow your career. Plenty of room to understand both business topics and also technical capacity. Management is open to all ideas and recommendations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriGas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight